Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,605 members, 7,958,844 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 05:19 AM

A New Nigerian National Air Carrier? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A New Nigerian National Air Carrier? (1930 Views)

FG To Establish National Carrier / National Air Traffic Control Strike, All Flights Suspended Till 12noon / Nigerian2120 Aircrash (national Air): Under Pressure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A New Nigerian National Air Carrier? by Nobody: 6:53am On Nov 18, 2012
Recently, the Minister of Aviation, Mrs Stella Oduah and a FAAN Director announced that the FG was in the process of setting up a new national carrier for the country. The proposed national carrier, unlike the defunct Nigeria Airways, would be 100% privately owned and managed. Therefore, it seems the govt would only make some initial investments i.e. acquiring planes and contributing initial take-off capital.

Does Nigeria need a national carrier? Should the present private airlines be instead designated as 'Flag carriers'? The floor is open.
Re: A New Nigerian National Air Carrier? by etrader(m): 10:36am On Nov 18, 2012
Hon Minister is reffer to ARIC Air line
Re: A New Nigerian National Air Carrier? by Nobody: 11:42pm On Nov 19, 2012
I largely agree with what this aviation expert said in this interview:http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/-nigeria-s-market-cannot-support-more-than-three-large-airlines-/131016/

The flying culture in Nigeria is not yet as developed as even South Africa, let alone Europe or North America. Therefore 3,4 or 5 strong national airlines with a total of up to 100 routes amongst them is the way to go. Airline mergers is definitely the way to go, because the airline business is a capital-intensive one and as such, a one-man business isn't ideal.

I was shocked by the fact that a massive 95% shocked of international traffic to and from Nigeria is controlled by foreign carriers. This readily explains a part of the reason why Arik Air and other local airlines are struggling financially. On the African continental level, about 70% of the air traffic to and from the continent is controlled by non-African carriers.

(1) (Reply)

My Very Embarrassing Moment. Whats Yours? / The "First Luxury Hotel In Space" Has Started Taking Booking Reservations / Bank Statement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.