Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

Chinua Achebe & Wole Soyinka, Who Is D Better Writer? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chinua Achebe & Wole Soyinka, Who Is D Better Writer? (6966 Views)

Wole Soyinka: "InterInventions", My New Book Will Draw Blood / Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Prize In 1986 (picture) / Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Chinua Achebe & Wole Soyinka, Who Is D Better Writer? by Nobody: 10:21am On Nov 18, 2012
Between Chinua Achebe & Wole Soyinka who is d better writer and who has the most interestin plays? Please Drop ur Opinions.. 2)
Re: Chinua Achebe & Wole Soyinka, Who Is D Better Writer? by k2039: 10:24am On Nov 18, 2012
Prof. Wole Soyinka of course,even Chinua Achebe will admit to it
Re: Chinua Achebe & Wole Soyinka, Who Is D Better Writer? by fiftynaira(m): 10:36am On Nov 18, 2012
@ op this was exaclty an argument we had ysterday in class

Wole soyinka is in ALL lines of literature
Whlie chinua achebe is just only a story teller with a difference that is why his book things fall apart have been re wrtiteen in 152 languages of the world
To my own opinon I think wole is the best that's why he got himslef the noble prize
Re: Chinua Achebe & Wole Soyinka, Who Is D Better Writer? by Antivirus92(m): 11:17am On Nov 18, 2012
Winning the noble price doesn't translate into being the best writer. Again, i would choose my novel to be immortalised and translated into hundreds of languages than just winning noble price and being forgotten 4 years later. Achebe is a million times better than soyinka

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe & Wole Soyinka, Who Is D Better Writer? by Pennywise(m): 11:30am On Nov 18, 2012
I adore Wole Soyinka for his brilliance. He is intelligent and his writing skill is simply sublime. Infact there is so much in that head of his. Chinua Achebe is a respected writer in his own right. But as a Nigerian he may have been over shadowed by the lion and his mane.
Re: Chinua Achebe & Wole Soyinka, Who Is D Better Writer? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Nov 23, 2012
I'd rate Chinua Achebe as the better writer, mostly because he is the better storyteller - both in terms of substance and form. I guess Soyinka is more renowned for his skills as a playwright. He is a great novelist/writer too, but his tendency to use highfalutin verbiage sometimes makes portions of his works cumbersome to read.

On the other hand, Achebe's prose seems more lucid, and his choice of words and overall imagery is second to none. In any case, Achebe's chef d'oeuvre (Things Fall Apart) tops anything Soinka has ever written.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe & Wole Soyinka, Who Is D Better Writer? by myssy(f): 1:12am On Nov 25, 2012
pro01: I'd rate Chinua Achebe as the better writer, mostly because he is the better storyteller - both in terms of substance and form. I guess Soyinka is more renowned for his skills as a playwright. He is a great novelist/writer too, but his tendency to use highfalutin verbiage sometimes makes portions of his works cumbersome to read.

On the other hand, Achebe's prose seems more lucid, and his choice of words and overall imagery is second to none. In any case, Achebe's chef d'oeuvre (Things Fall Apart) tops anything Soinka has ever written.
i totally get ur point, Soyinka's work might be great but reading it takes up energy trying to decipher what he's getting at. Achebe's work seem effortless, he makes literature a fun aspect. Its because of writers like him that i love literature

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe & Wole Soyinka, Who Is D Better Writer? by Temagg(f): 1:19pm On Nov 25, 2012
I like both of them,bt i'll choose chinua Achebe b4 Wole Soyinka.
Re: Chinua Achebe & Wole Soyinka, Who Is D Better Writer? by 4chi: 8:14pm On Nov 25, 2012
Wole Soyinka by miles.yes some of his writing is ot for the faint hearted, but his versatility more than makes up for that. Soyinka is a world renowned poet,essayist,dramatist,and musician( he wrote the popular music satire " I love my country I no go lie") Achebe's only claim to fame is "things fall apart, a supposedly fictional prose which has since been discovered to be his own pseudo biography.Wole is a nobel laureate Achebe is not, hence there is no basis for comparison...
Re: Chinua Achebe & Wole Soyinka, Who Is D Better Writer? by STTITUS(m): 5:35am On Nov 26, 2012
Wait a minute? This is no question subjected to answers. I'm a writer myself though not yet published nor to my name has an award been won but I have read works of these poeple. Foremost, Achebe earned his fame and limelight before Soyinka but Wole won The Laureate. There is something that I will always respect in writing, something that would make you different, it's "prolific" in your engagements. Wole is widely read, also Achebe. Wole has poems, dramas, and even prose to his pen, but Achebe published novels. I love the two, yet, I find it difficult to point the best. Wole is perfect in his language, even the owners would need translation to understand. Wole uses his tradition to present Africa at large. While Achebe master of story telling, well furnished characters and best picture of Ibo sosiety does his work well too. Inall ways are these poeple great. I respect these legends............ Oops, I don't have a choice.
Re: Chinua Achebe & Wole Soyinka, Who Is D Better Writer? by Cuddlemii: 7:15am On Nov 26, 2012
Please, this topic has been created several times. Duplicate threads are prohibited, please continue here -------->https://www.nairaland.com/2841/best-african-author-wole-soyinka

(1)

My One True Love / The Rabbi (+18) / Good Guy Turned Bad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.