Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,608 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:23 PM

Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola (7873 Views)

More Lagos Schools Where Pupils Sit On Bare Floors Unearthed / The State Of The English Language In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by PaulJohn1: 12:47am On Nov 19, 2012
Written by Lanre Adewole, Lagos
Monday, 19 November 2012

LAGOS State governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola, on Sunday, explained the introduction of Chinese language as a subject in schools while thumbing-up, with statistics, the all-inclusive security policy being implemented in the state.

He spoke at a gathering on the Lagos Television premises in Ikeja, in commemoration of his 2,000 days in office.

He also told his audience, which included former governors, artisans, pressure groups, market women, traditional rulers and politicians, that though Yoruba language is still being taught in schools, it would not be the responsibility of teachers to teach pupils and students their mother tongue.

Citing the globally-expanding Chinese economy as the reason for the introduction of the Chinese language in Lagos schools, the governor noted that the subject was not made compulsory but desirable.

According to him, “the decision does not compel any child who does not want to. Let us start from there, but perhaps I think it is important and this is my view of the matter. 

“Our mother tongue, Yoruba language, is not the responsibility that we should pass to the teachers. It is the responsibility of the parents to teach their children the Yoruba language at home.

“We can’t blame the teachers for our children not speaking Yoruba language. We must be honest with ourselves. Other ethnic groups don’t suffer that affliction.

“Now about Chinese language. I think we must continue to think about what our world would be like in the next 20 to 30 years and anybody who is being honest with himself would see clearly that from Britain to the United States, the Chinese are becoming our largest trading partners.”
http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/lead-stories/51066-why-we-introduced-chinese-language-in-lagos-schools-fashola-marks-2000-days-in-office
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by PaulJohn1: 12:52am On Nov 19, 2012
Fashola is right.
Parents should be blamed for their kids that can't speak his/her mother tongue.

As for Chinese language; the rate at which China is moving, it's like the world is pointing to her.

Kudos to Fashola for his foresight.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by Bacteriocin(m): 3:17am On Nov 19, 2012
They want †̥ erode our language completely because even now that the language is being taught, most pupils are still finding it difficult †̥ understand the language that is meant †̥ be their L1.
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by sheyguy: 3:31am On Nov 19, 2012
When most students can hardly use English fluently. Fashola should apply maturity in whatever he chooses to do with our language here, There is no place like home, our Language and culture defines our home to a large extent.
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by kunlekunle: 4:14am On Nov 19, 2012
Cultural erosion,
no chinese would teach/learn yoruba in china.

Fasola,
just create a language school for whoever is interested and dont muddle the students brain.

1 Like

Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by Agiliti(m): 4:32am On Nov 19, 2012
kunlekunle: Cultural erosion,
no chinese would teach/learn yoruba in china.

Fasola,
just create a language school for whoever is interested and dont muddle the students brain.

from what the post says, yoruba is not compulsory neither is chinese. so if nobody wants to learn it, they wouldnt have to...the guy is just trying to give the new generation a competitive advantage because even people in the west are starting to learn chinese.

3 Likes

Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by Jakumo(m): 5:09am On Nov 19, 2012
Future Nigerian president and current Lagos State governor Raji Fashola continues to forge ahead with innovative ideas that will uplift Nigeria and Africa. There is no question that China is a MAJOR player in global economics today, and that China is moving on to become the DOMINANT economic power-house on the global stage, in just a few short years. Nowhere is this trend more evident in Africa, where Chinese trade and commerce have literally sky-rocketed in the past ten years.

Any person on planet Earth that takes the time to master either Chinese Mandarin or Cantonese languages NOW will attain a MASSIVE tactical advantage in terms of employability and job promotion prospects, in comparison to all who remain linguistically impaired in those dialects.

From a practical standpoint, the Yoruba language is VERY similar to both Chinese dialects, in that these languages are all TONAL, whereby the pronunciation and the vocal inflection of a word changes its meaning entirely, imparting words that are spelled identically with a variety of interpretations that derive from the subtle yet specific intonation of such words. It thus follows that a native speaker of the Yoruba language, and to a lesser extent the Igbo language, would master either of the Chinese dialects MUCH faster than say an American or British student of the Chinese language.

Since the learning of Chinese languages in Lagos State has been made optional rather than mandatory, the claims that native African languages are being sidelined by Chinese language lessons are no longer tenable. China is the two-ton elephant sitting in the corner of the room, and Governor Raji Fashola, ever astute with an eye on the future, knows that the elephant must NOT be ignored, if Africa hopes to float, rather than flounder with the changing tides of global economics and real-politics.

12 Likes

Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by GARRIx7(m): 7:37am On Nov 19, 2012
the governor noted that the subject was not made compulsory but desirable.

I think parents should encourage their kids to learn Chineese. Kids can learn a lot of languages at that tender age.

My only problem is that the curriculum might not be practical and effective. We have the current case of french language which most persons are forced to do in secondary school and then they can't even construct a single sentence in french...
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by julioralph(m): 7:51am On Nov 19, 2012
Chinese ke? shocked shocked angry angry embarassed
we should invest more in Science, ICT and the likes so that Nigerian kids can do something useful; even when the system fails them.

1 Like

Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by passion007: 8:02am On Nov 19, 2012
I do not quite agree with the Governor's assertions. He believes Yoruba language begins and ends with spoken Yoruba---what happened to written Yoruba? That is where the teacher comes in. Language entails more than just speech. Written language is the bedrock of history.

On a different but not unrelated topic, i compulsorily took lessons in French language from Primary school till JS3 (it became an optional subject at that point and I promptly dropped it) and now I wonder how effective all that haas been?
If there are practical reasons why Mandarin should be introduced, then its prbably a good idea, otherwise His Excellency might be thinkin 'what is life without whimsy'?
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by Demdem(m): 8:05am On Nov 19, 2012
Jakumo: Future Nigerian president and current Lagos State governor Raji Fashola continues to forge ahead with innovative ideas that will uplift Nigeria and Africa.

No doubt, u have lost hope on the Retardeen. Good one from fashola. I agree with him completely.
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by londoner: 8:13am On Nov 19, 2012
Lol....talk about putting the cart before the horse! Can the average Lagosian student compete with the Chinese? Does Nigeria or Lagos even have a quality of education to put former students across the board room table with the Chinese, to warrant knowing the language?......Or is it "Oga" in Chinese they want to teach.....lol

Looking at the of exam reults even in comparison to other African countries......Nigerians will be drivers and gate men to the type of Chinese that will fly into Nigeria for business or investment.

Do the first things first Fashola.
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by Jakumo(m): 8:49am On Nov 19, 2012
GARRI (x7):

I think parents should encourage their kids to learn Chineese. Kids can learn a lot of languages at that tender age.

My only problem is that the curriculum might not be practical and effective. We have the current case of french language which most persons are forced to do in secondary school and then they can't even construct a single sentence in french...

Introduce 3-year-olds to four different languages simultaneouely, and their prodigiously developing brains will effortlessly assimilate a working vocabulary in all of those languages considerably faster than a six-year old could, and orders of magnitude more rapidly than an adult student could hope to progress in mastering just one new language.

By introducing optional Chinese language lessons in Lagos State schools, Governor Fashola has raised the bar of educational standards yet again, in a master-stroke of prudent foresight that will in due course be emulated by governors of many other states in the federation.

3 Likes

Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by mkohagwu(m): 8:58am On Nov 19, 2012
Seriously? Chinese? With characters looking like the scriblings of a month old baby
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by BlackOyinbo: 9:01am On Nov 19, 2012
Paul John:
“Our mother tongue, Yoruba language, is not the responsibility that we should pass to the teachers. It is the responsibility of the parents to teach their children the Yoruba language at home.

I disagree with Fashola on this one. English is still taught in the UK, even though it is the primary language. Its not only about speaking yoruba, but also writing yoruba. Not all parents can teach their children to write well. Besides, spoken language may have been corrupted by slangs.
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by Denlightened(m): 9:07am On Nov 19, 2012
its an exciting innovation but I sincerely pity students in Lagos because from my point of view,chinese language is probably the most difficult thing to learn;just imagine ''chen cho chu quinton qui kyi doza'' can someone understand that? But all the same,goodluck to my Lagosian friends.

1 Like

Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by Jakumo(m): 9:10am On Nov 19, 2012
mkohagwu: Seriously? Chinese? With characters looking like the scriblings of a month old baby

In children, the capability to understand and speak languages obviously starts to develop way before writing and reading skills do, since those aspects of literacy entail fine motor skills that emerge a bit later.
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by JBL316: 9:11am On Nov 19, 2012
Ok o...na which language China learn b4 dem become..globally economy..ok...once we begin speak china language all our problems are over. Na true...Eko ni baje!Ney...Naija ni baje! grin
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by Denlightened(m): 9:12am On Nov 19, 2012
londoner: Lol....talk about putting the cart before the horse! Can the average Lagosian student compete with the Chinese? Does Nigeria or Lagos even have a quality of education to put former students across the board room table with the Chinese, to warrant knowing the language?......Or is it "Oga" in Chinese they want to teach.....lol

Looking at the of exam reults even in comparison to other African countries......Nigerians will be drivers and gate men to the type of Chinese that will fly into Nigeria for business or investment.

Nwewu(goat);when I become the President I will send people like you to Abakaliki prisons.as far as you are concerned,if it is Nigerian,then it is bad when you who is criticizing naija is below average.NONSENSE!
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by Bombuzby(m): 9:14am On Nov 19, 2012
Paul John:
http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/lead-stories/51066-why-we-introduced-chinese-language-in-lagos-schools-fashola-marks-2000-days-in-office
n0t 0nly Chinese they wil als0 intr0duce kunfu...abeg kukuma bring swahili languajara make we vabarate...

1 Like

Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by NegroNtns(m): 9:16am On Nov 19, 2012
I think Fashola focuses too much on the outside.......Yoruba is not taught in the classrooms but Chinese is. What a dumb vision!!
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by morewealth(m): 9:26am On Nov 19, 2012
Its a good development to introduce chinese language to schools but it won't bring any development to our economy.
Na today? Abi una no do french for school da year e bring anything for our pocket?
Abeg we need investment and good infrastructure and teach the children subjects that will open their brains.
Children neva big them don dey tell them how to depend on china.
No level!
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by Afam4eva(m): 9:27am On Nov 19, 2012
I don't know when our rulers will grow some brain and protect their own cultural heritage rather than try to import everything that comes from outside. People have not finished learning English yet you want to add Chinese into the mix thereby putting our indigenous language at the mercy of extinction.

1 Like

Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by donniemc: 9:34am On Nov 19, 2012
The Time would Come when the World would Learn Nigeria (Yoruba,Igbo and Hausa)............But rite Now it makes sense to learn Manda(chinese)........because china is the present and africa --> Nigeria is the future
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by kunlekunle: 9:35am On Nov 19, 2012
As i travel go uk,na dem culture be teacher,
for america, germany, na dem culture be teacher.

sooner or later we'll be having this chinese syndrome, like we had the english foe 100years.

i'll rather speak ijebu not yoruba.
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by Nobody: 10:13am On Nov 19, 2012
Nin hao ma?
Am learnin chinese in ma sch, its quite
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by toluene12: 10:27am On Nov 19, 2012
well, if mandarin is optional i have no problem with it. but i can assure u it will surely go the way of french language. we were taught french from pry 1 to jss 3 and yet i cant construct a simple sentence nor read anything in french.
fashola is wrong by saying learning native language start and ends with parents, how about writing, reading and promoting it as a medium of instruction in our schools. As a doctor i find it difficult communicating diagnosis to my patients with cancer of the prostate, marrow, pancreas and enlarged spleen because there are no native words for this organs.
I also don't think we need to learn mandarin to do business with china, business just like football is a universal language and financial transaction should be conducted easily without unnecessary language barrier. china didn't compulsory english in their schools b4 they learnt from the west.
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by SamAfrik(m): 11:05am On Nov 19, 2012
No level of devpt can make chinese replace English as a formal way of communticatn worlwide. So d teachin of chinese shd nt go beyong oral/informal.
Attentn shd rather be on consolidating our use of English (formal) & upgrading d written yoruba in schs.

1 Like

Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by aglomar: 11:35am On Nov 19, 2012
French would hv been better.
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by SamAfrik(m): 11:43am On Nov 19, 2012
Though I adore Fashola but dont quite agree wit him here. I used to envy my classmates in d secondary who read d yoruba novels wit ease.
The yoruba bible also remains d best ever translation work.
Yoruba scholars e.g. Pa Fagunwa, Faleti, Odunjo.
Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by banki(m): 11:49am On Nov 19, 2012
londoner: Lol....talk about putting the cart before the horse! Can the average Lagosian student compete with the Chinese? Does Nigeria or Lagos even have a quality of education to put former students across the board room table with the Chinese, to warrant knowing the language?......Or is it "Oga" in Chinese they want to teach.....lol

please why did you learn french at school? the same reasons he wants pupils to learn chinese stop being a hypocrite

Re: Why We Introduced Chinese Language In Lagos Schools - Fashola by redsun(m): 12:05pm On Nov 19, 2012
China is the nest big thing.And as we know it,africans always clamours for shelter were ever it's happening and never thinking of their own independence.So understanding the language of the world nest civilizaion will be quite advantagoes to dependent africans.

The language that reigns is that language of the people that rules.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Sex Education Should Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools – SFH / Sbrs-abu Funtua(shortlisted Candidates 010/011) / WAEC Faces Lawsuit Over Seizure Of Students Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.