Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,287 members, 7,815,493 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

A Director Stole My Movie Script - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / A Director Stole My Movie Script (4922 Views)

Choose From My Movie Library For A Token! / Need A Director 4 Ur Low Budget Video? / Sponsor My Movie And Gain It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Director Stole My Movie Script by estherb: 3:26pm On Feb 06, 2008
hey guy i have a serious problem and i will appreciate it if anyone can advice me.

I am good in writing script but I don't know how to use it. Instead some 419 director that I do come across stole it from me. Can someone tell me what to do to such people?
Re: A Director Stole My Movie Script by Seun(m): 3:52pm On Feb 06, 2008
I would not advice you to bother yourself with this "director". First of all, making a movie is not a piece
of cake. If he cannot afford to pay you for the script, which is the most important component, how will
he get actors? Will he steal Genevieve Nnaji or Omotola Jolade? How will be get costumes and props,
locations and equipment to shoot the movie? How will he edit it and market the movie?

As a screenwriter, you should have a couple of scripts you use as writing samples. These scripts are
not to be sold; they are meant to be shown to directors to prove to them that you are a good writer.

Your objective should be to get a director to hire you to write a script based on the director's own ideas,
after you have impressed her with your writing ability. If you work like this, your story cannot be stolen.

Assuming the script is good, what you need to do is take the script and show it to as many directors as
possible so it can be established in their minds that the script was written by you. If the script is that
good, they will probably not buy it but will call you the next time they want to make movies.

Why won't they buy it? It's an ego thing, mostly. Directors prefer to work with their own ideas or their own
stories. The stress of movie making is such that you don't want to go through it unless you are working on
your own idea. Trust me, I know. but they will be happy to hire you to write scripts for them.

So forget about whether your scripts are stolen or not stolen. Treat them as writing samples and get them in
the hands of every serious producer or director. Give them your phone number; let them know you are available
to write stories for them at short notice. Let them know that you are affordable and dependable. Cheers!
(So far, I have bought three short scripts, but they were all written on my behalf, based on my own ideas.) wink
Re: A Director Stole My Movie Script by divanaija1: 4:11pm On Feb 06, 2008
HUH??

how do u mean u don't kno how ta use what you're so good at doin

N u wonder why someone who knows how,stole it?

N since u said 419 it simply mean he/she did not steal it but cunningly took it away from u. . .*** scratching head***. . .eeehh,since u don't kno how ta use it,what were u doin wit da Director. . .N pulez tel me u still hav d originals ,so we can mak a case outa this?  angry
Re: A Director Stole My Movie Script by Busta(f): 4:15pm On Feb 06, 2008
how was it stolen?
Re: A Director Stole My Movie Script by luridguy(m): 4:20pm On Feb 06, 2008
you could sue  tongue

but really, seun as pretty much summed it up for you i doubt there is much you could do about the stolen script there are so many writers like you out there you just have to show your work is really worth it.

And even if your work is really Good there is the risk of it been stolen again if you don't try to get yourself known like seun said, have samples that you can give to directors who would call you if they like your work. guy you have to  climb the ladder but am sure you will get to the top if ur dedicated and patient
Re: A Director Stole My Movie Script by hafees: 4:59pm On Feb 06, 2008
firstly, let me tell you that nine out of ten writers have had their stories stolen by thieving producers and directors. i am one of the lucky few who got it right at the initial stage. My first movie scripts was bought from me, you need to research before jumping from offices to offices/producers to producers. u can find out the thieves, because their stories/thieving scandals go round, and dont ever be desperate for them to see/use ur stories,it will cheapen you and ur stories, its ur sweat so act like it.

You can also copyright ur movie ideas/scripts, but no one has monopoly of ideas, so u cant accuse someone using something similar that u have thought about. but you can scare thieving producers, it will show them you know what u are doing. cheaply too, on ur movie scripts have a lawyers/law chamber stamp on it

again note that these guys see lots of hungry writers on daily bases so you need to distinguish urself, if the deal is not right walk away but dont be afraid to have meetings with them, snub them if they become silly.

better still, try ur hands on writing sitcoms, look for sitcom producers, its easier to get into it, once they are satisfied u can write, this can help build ur cv as a writer.

finally i concur with seun, have a demo scripts though its not useful when trying to sell movie stories. the truth is, many of these producers write the scripts no matter how silly it is for their production even though they are not professionals, just people with opportunitie. as per thieving ur stuff, forget it, work hard on more and pray. if u need help holla me.
Re: A Director Stole My Movie Script by kevinlomas(m): 5:38pm On Feb 06, 2008
Please i would like to start by saying that its very bad to call Directors 419ners, however its bad for the director to take your script without payment, I'm a script writer with many movies to my credit and am also a Director with two movies to my credit, so i want you to be careful with your scripts, register with AGN and learn more about Nollywood, then you can fight for your right, Vindirector@yahoo.com.
Re: A Director Stole My Movie Script by PurestBoy(m): 8:11pm On Feb 06, 2008
Leave am for God, The film must surely run him down financially so far he deceitfully got the script from you.
Re: A Director Stole My Movie Script by Ndipe(m): 8:28pm On Feb 06, 2008
Dont even sweat over it, the laws of justice will prevail.
Re: A Director Stole My Movie Script by spoilt(f): 3:34am On Feb 07, 2008
He stole a script riddled with bad grammar? grin Heck! Poor him!

1 Like

Re: A Director Stole My Movie Script by waleab: 9:58am On Feb 07, 2008
wait for production then sue him and embarrase him. he will pay to keep you quiet
Re: A Director Stole My Movie Script by noetic(m): 2:41pm On Feb 07, 2008
spoilt:

He stole a script riddled with bad grammar? grin Heck! Poor him!

where u come from sef?
haba, people dey grin

@ poster.

so far, I think that you have recieved the best advice anyone can ever give. I will only top it up by saying, "talk to God".
settle it with ur maker and all is well.
cheers kiss
Re: A Director Stole My Movie Script by powerofmap(m): 9:40am On Feb 08, 2008
@poster Leave the Producer and Talk to Baba God he will make a way.

@kevinlomas Wetin Concern AGN with person wey em script got stolen. ,

@waleab Broda try read Nigeria law about something like dis you will know its not worth it to sue the Director.
Re: A Director Stole My Movie Script by CrazyMan(m): 6:38pm On Feb 08, 2008
So forget about whether your scripts are stolen or not stolen. Treat them as writing samples and get them in
the hands of every serious producer or director. Give them your phone number; let them know you are available
to write stories for them at short notice. Let them know that you are affordable and dependable. Cheers!
I would agree with Seun; take it (the script) as a sample and improve on your writing and keep showing them to people so they can give you their pass mark.

When you think you've reached a certain standard in the writing industry, you would begin to have different directors buzzing your phone line. Its just a script my dear; and also, for you to be a writer means you must be ready to sacrifice as many scripts as possible so you name might get to the top.

So cheer up and keep writing. wink
Re: A Director Stole My Movie Script by grafikdon: 6:55pm On Feb 08, 2008
Seun, script is not the most important component of film making. When there is no balance between story/cinematography/acting/post production etc whatever masterpiece you have in your script will get stuck in the quagmire of mediocrity. I can say that script is the first component a film maker should lock down. There are 'blockbusters' with the most retarded plot. Why? Because other components were well polished. People are more likely to see a film with a horrible plot and top notch production quality than the one with a beautiful script with horrendous production quality. The keyword is BALANCE!
Re: A Director Stole My Movie Script by chy4luv: 8:32pm On Feb 08, 2008
@ SPOILT
You are really spoilt indeed angry
Ppl dey 4 this worldoooooooooo
You just open ur mouth dey vomit
Rubbish shocked shockedshocked
Re: A Director Stole My Movie Script by Loveniger(m): 11:00am On Feb 09, 2008
If you have a strong evidence that he steal your script you can sue him and win the case.
Re: A Director Stole My Movie Script by Builder: 7:16am On Feb 11, 2008
(((((((((Yawn)))))))))) what a boring thread!!!
Re: A Director Stole My Movie Script by ppanther(m): 1:05pm On Mar 10, 2008
@estherb,

Someone made a comment about your grammar.
I think you should really consider that.

For instance, from your post, it is not clear whether
your script was actually stolen or you are afraid
of what to do to avoid it being stolen.

Anyway, scripts get stolen everyday in the
industry, especially over here where our copyright
laws are not really enforced.

My candid advice to you is to work towards having
control over your material. In other words, plan
towards producing your movies yourself!

I know say no be yam unto the required financial
outlay, but the other option is to keep prostituting
your intellectual property to "419" directors and producers.

All the best.
Re: A Director Stole My Movie Script by kemest2: 3:14pm On Jun 07, 2010
someone should have had about copyright law. my dear try get close to any lawyer and put copyright on your script.
you can then allow anybody to steal your script. let them produce then sue.
above all you need to be wise in all your dealings .

(1) (Reply)

Suggest Me A Nigerian Movie Please / Pete Edochie Vs Olu Jacob, Who Is A Better Actor? / Season 1 Finale On Twist Of Fate Episode 641 - 643

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.