Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,089 members, 7,821,763 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

Web Developers Association Of Nigeria (wdan) - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Web Developers Association Of Nigeria (wdan) (1352 Views)

What Do You Think About Nigeria Having An Association Controlling Blogging / Web Developers Needed / For Web Designers And Web Developers Only! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Web Developers Association Of Nigeria (wdan) by Gboy4ril1(m): 5:14pm On Feb 06, 2008
=============================
Re: Web Developers Association Of Nigeria (wdan) by emonkey(m): 5:22pm On Feb 06, 2008
WDAN = Another unnecessary distraction that can only succeed in stunting innovation.
Web Developer = By their fruit you shall know them.
Re: Web Developers Association Of Nigeria (wdan) by my2cents(m): 6:00pm On Feb 06, 2008
g_boy,

For your reasons, I wouldn't agree to one. However, if done for the following reasons, I *might* b interested:

1) To serve as a place where a client knows that if they call a member, service is guaranteed. A Better Business Bureau of sorts

2) To serve as a meeting ground for learning - via workshops, inviting special guests, presentations,etc)

3) No officers whatsoever. Just a group of peers getting together, networking and learning from each other

4) No price-fixing, wage-fixing or the like.

Associations, especially in the Nigerian context, are generally not a good idea. Besides, considering market women have periwinkle association (seriously), it sort of diminishes the existence of associations as a whole.

Associations (which, let's face it, is a nicer name for the communistic "unions" cool) have a tendency to be bureaucratic, politicized and in the end, as e-monky has said, it only ends up stifling innovation.

As always, my 2 cents.
Re: Web Developers Association Of Nigeria (wdan) by Gboy4ril1(m): 6:17pm On Feb 06, 2008
my2cents

I agree with you on that basis. My intention is to use the association to create awareness to the public and to serve as a meeting point for learning.
Re: Web Developers Association Of Nigeria (wdan) by smartsoft(m): 10:11pm On Feb 06, 2008
lol not only you have this idea, we all here have this idea to push this stuff out but some certain things needs to come in and infact NCC must be involve and NITDA, the nigerian internet Group must be involve alot of bodies must certisfy this, ! Venue for the Association, Sponsors and all that
Re: Web Developers Association Of Nigeria (wdan) by tundewoods(m): 11:26am On Feb 07, 2008
Hmm,I may want to be a member to learn from workshops and seminar just as my2cents had early stated but regarding levies,dues and annual sub charges for some officers to embezzle ,count me out.

We all know the long term implication and outcome of most of these so called groups,association and unions in Nigeria,They end getting so political once you graduate from politics in your association it prepares you for politics in National level,our own premiership league.
Re: Web Developers Association Of Nigeria (wdan) by chalerea(m): 5:32pm On Feb 07, 2008
I think I agree with my2clients grin many associations are for selfish reasons.
Re: Web Developers Association Of Nigeria (wdan) by kolinz(m): 1:19pm On Feb 10, 2008
Thotful of you. How do we kick off.
All the best wink
Re: Web Developers Association Of Nigeria (wdan) by kamsik(m): 3:04pm On Feb 12, 2008
Hello my dear Nairalanders,

my own concern on the issue is that we need to do now in the matter of urgency is that we Nigeria Web Developer dont have any body that govern all our activities in Nigeria, not like the Software Developer, Network, ICT and the Computing Generally, we need a govern body to be in place for the grow of web developers in the country.

so my little concern is that if the body can stand and ready to help each and every web developer in country, why waiting let go ahead and have it.

thanks

PROUDLY NIGERIA

Z. A. Kamal
Re: Web Developers Association Of Nigeria (wdan) by emonkey(m): 3:27pm On Feb 12, 2008
My most profitable jobs continue to come from USA and UK where I have been able to establish myself because there hasn't been any unprogressive web developers association to prevent me from getting jobs there , so you must see why I personally will fight such a "body" with all I've got.
Additionally i find that most people who agitate for such association are just too lazy to do anything and want jobs to come to their front door for the only reason that they belong to a bogus self-serving association and not because they are good at what they do. Soon we will be getting associations for html developers, php developers, .net developers, coldfusion developers, java developers, rubyonrails developers , etc etc , with each passionately protecting their "territorial rights".
Anyone who calls himself a web developer should be quite familiar with where and how to develop themselves - there are tons of material on the internet ; exercise your brain and go look for them yourself.
Re: Web Developers Association Of Nigeria (wdan) by my2cents(m): 3:46pm On Feb 12, 2008
Web Developer don't have any body that govern all our activities in Nigeria

Kamsik:
We don't need a governing body. What would they govern, if I may ask? Who gets jobs? How much to charge? Who is worthy of becoming a member? We don't need all that. If at all, as I have said consistently above and throughout on similar posts is a school of thought, so to speak. We meet up, say once a year or so, have presentations, learn from each other, etc. None of that "governing" nonsense.

If you doubt what I say, point out to me what similar governing body out there has ended up doing any good for its members in the long-run. Don't get me wrong, there are some things that will require regulation and those usually pertain to national interest. Other than that, there is no need for a governing body of any kind. This of course would be in an ideal world so rather than total elimination, I say we need as few of them as possible.

(1) (Reply)

My Web Design Blog - UPDATED** / Pls Help With Naija Credit Card Info / How To Create A Download With Joomla 1.5?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.