Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,411 members, 7,836,653 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

Africa’s Grim Future - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Africa’s Grim Future (1620 Views)

Bill Gates Just Posted This Grim Statistic About Nigeria - Twitter / Some Grim Ebola Pictures From Liberia! / Jonathan Campaign Faces Grim Reality Of Possible Loss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africa’s Grim Future by Nobody: 4:47am On Nov 20, 2012
AFRICA is so doomed because we discuss its future without pondering the implications of the woes we bemoan.

The Mo Ibrahim Foundation proceeded in similar fashion when it painted the dreary picture of the future of African youth. It was rather the picture of a futureless continent, a real threat to the global community.

How would Africa’s more than one billion people fare in the next few decades? The report said poor governance, absence of quality education, health, youth employment were creating an uncompetitive continent, the youth bear the brunt.

Governance remains central to the challenges Africa faces. Minimal attention is paid to the future, except the future of leaderships that invest state resources in sustaining their regimes.

Many African leaders do not see the future of their countries beyond the confines of their own interests. Efforts at creating linkages that can develop the continent are lost in petty quests for individual prosperity, “value” leaders promote, and which the populace imitate.

The endangerment of Africa is total. Education barely prepares the youth for challenges of living in modern societies where the digital divide makes the differences uncomfortably obvious.

African youth who embrace digital technology mostly deploy their knowledge to the distracting rewards of social media.

Where does the salvation lie? The Mo Foundation Report emphasises education, laments and the additional burdens of educated youth being unemployed, with more school age kids still out of school.

Governance is key in tackling these issues because governments award episodic treatment to grave matters of the sustenance of societies. Too many African governments are clueless about the importance of investments in sectors that would create jobs to absorb the millions of youth whose present concerns must be tackled to guarantee their relevance in future.

Mo Foundation has a lot of work to do. Until the youth is the future of the continent and its affairs handled with the emergency the future of Africa demands, the Foundation’s job would not have been done. It is a lot of work that has deeper complications than many contemplate.

Africa suffers capacity deficit in many areas. Outside leadership, infrastructure remains a limiting factor in the utilisation of the continent’s resources. Perhaps, the biggest threat is the imitative corruption our leaders have imbibed. Billions of dollars stolen from the continent, annually, end up in foreign banks.

Not only do corrupt practices minimise resources available for development, they create a culture of impunity and a leadership lineage doused in corruption and decidedly immersed in maintaining its vice grip on Africa.

The world faces a grimmer future without a globally compliant Africa. The challenges are not for the youth. They are for the world.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/africas-grim-future/
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by Nobody: 4:51am On Nov 20, 2012
Food for thought.... sad
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by ebere1712: 8:41am On Nov 21, 2012
Dude go and suck a devil dick. It is you, your generation and your nation that has a grim future grin

1 Like

Re: Africa’s Grim Future by Kslib(m): 8:49am On Nov 21, 2012
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by Kslib(m): 8:50am On Nov 21, 2012
ebere1712: Dude go and suck a devil dick. It is you, your generation and your nation that has a grim future grin
You are very stupid... Waht's wrong with ya?? Cant you see he's saying the truth??
Nonsense,keep decieving yourself that africa has a bright future under the current state of governance we're experiencing.. Let me tell you "THE DAYS OF E GO BETTER ARE OVER"... Rubbish..
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by ebere1712: 9:11am On Nov 21, 2012
Kslib:
You are very stupid... Waht's wrong with ya?? Cant you see he's saying the truth??
Nonsense,keep decieving yourself that africa has a bright future under the current state of governance we're experiencing.. Let me tell you "THE DAYS OF E GO BETTER ARE OVER"... Rubbish..
Join him in your senseless stupidity. If there is any nation that should be worried. It is his nation and their fellow european pink shitholes. They don't have anything and nobody would allow them to steal their resources again. They are going to die off, quite naturally.
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by omosexy1: 11:06am On Nov 21, 2012
@Shymexx is Europe out of the recession yet? Wonder why its taking them so longer to fix the problem with all the advancement and technologies. I saw some guys in Portugal and Greece looking like some peeps in Somalia. The UK govt keeps tightening immigration laws rather than create jobs. Some many jobless youth in the UK. Are you one Shymexx - Must be.
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by thoth: 11:12am On Nov 21, 2012
The article is right; what is wrong is africans.
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by Gbawe: 11:18am On Nov 21, 2012
shymexx: Food for thought.... sad

I personally think Africa is not producing critical young thinkers at a healthy or desired rate. This, sadly, means we will continue to lag behind others more dedicated to ideas while we remain obsessed with frivolities.
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by redsun(m): 11:28am On Nov 21, 2012
No amount of education can transform a person without common sense.Today Africans are plagued with lack of common sense.
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by Gbawe: 11:35am On Nov 21, 2012
redsun: No amount of education can transform a person without common sense.Today Africans are plagued with lack of common sense.

Not so much a common sense issue. More that the value system of Africans is now very compromised and bastardized. For a continent endowed with so much and producing absolutely nada, one would think our youths would be up and doing. Instead they are obsessed with Brazilian hair, Louboutin footwear, embroidered blazers and garish materialism.

This is why it is still very easy for non-Africans to come to our continent and make it big in a relatively short period of time. The values and orientations of those non-Africans are calibrated properly to make them see and acknowledge what is important while the endowed remain totally blind to their own gifts.
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by thoth: 11:36am On Nov 21, 2012
Gbawe:

I personally think Africa is not producing critical young thinkers at a healthy or desired rate. This, sadly, means we will continue to lag behind others more dedicated to ideas while we remain obsessed with frivolities.
you are very right, at the rate things are going and the over americanization of the society's mindset i doubt nigeria would ever produce sensible youths again.
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by Nobody: 1:33pm On Nov 21, 2012
thoth:
you are very right, at the rate things are going and the over americanization of the society's mindset i doubt nigeria would ever produce sensible youths again.

True - and quite sad...
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by Nobody: 1:39pm On Nov 21, 2012
Gbawe:

But Africans will never agree with your assertion, rather, they'll curse and swear at you, for looking-down-on-them... I think living-in-denial, fake-bigman, blame-game, and inferiority complex are also part of the major reasons why Africa/Africans will continue to lag behind in the grand scheme of things in the globalised world..

2 Likes

Re: Africa’s Grim Future by Gbawe: 2:07pm On Nov 21, 2012
shymexx:

But Africans will never agree with your assertion, rather, they'll curse and swear at you, for looking-down-on-them... I think living-in-denial, fake-bigman, blame-game, and inferiority complex are also part of the major reasons why Africa/Africans will continue to lag behind in the grand scheme of things in the globalised world..

Indeed. Despite being the perennial laggards that needs to humbly embrace honest introspection and sincere soul searching, so as to catch up with and compete well against others, Africans remain the most vacuously vainglorious creatures to walk the earth. They are totally obsessed with petty enmity and absolutely worthless/shallow considerations that only mire the continent in underdevelopment.

Of course Africans always resort to cursing and swearing because it is an automatic reaction for many of them. A bastardized value system, over-reliance on religion/deities, vestiges of slavery (in some cases) and the efficacy of "divide and conquer" tactics from cynical leaders sees them always happy to ignore what matters in preference for chasing shadows. This is why Africans are still the people most susceptible to dwelling on the notions others "hate" and "envy" them. Everything simplistically boils down to this for most Africans.

The end result is the petty model of societal existence that sees us focusing on trivia while ignoring what can better society for the benefit of the majority. Looking at young Africans, I am not encouraged at all. I see 'lambs to the slaughter' and a vital population group under-performing and not equipped to even match others let alone better them.

2 Likes

Re: Africa’s Grim Future by Nobody: 2:20pm On Nov 21, 2012
Africans don't like when you are telling them the truth abi, we talk about our continent, u come talk about Europe? Why the H must u look at others'problems instead of solving your own?
The funniest is despite Europe social and economical problems at this time, they are still better off than us,
Africa produce many "academic-smart" people who becomes followers and who outside of their professional/school field, are unable to think for themselves. #OutdatedRobots.
We also have a few thinkers, but some of them fear to speak and take actions because standing against the gov will probably cost them their life.
I have heard before that the political science faculty was suppressed from CIV Academics because the president at the time thought this section would have brought up revolutionary minds that would stand up against him. lol Leaders prefer ruling uneducated and unconscious folks to better manipulate them.
Anyway, we don't need to go to school to know that we are blatantly being manipulated by our leaders and that with all the natural resources we have, our economical situations are pitiful (saying we are underperforming woulb be an understatement). We must voice up and act for our own good. With more support from the mass and less backstabbing, I think the few thinkers we have could achieve great things. Unfortunately there is too much passivity, Africans seem to feel very comfortable in their suffering
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by Nobody: 3:17pm On Nov 21, 2012
shymexx:

Nodding!
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by Nobody: 3:19pm On Nov 21, 2012
Gbawe:

Indeed. Despite being the perennial laggards that needs to humbly embrace honest introspection and sincere soul searching, so as to catch up with and compete well against others, Africans remain the most vacuously vainglorious creatures to walk the earth. They are totally obsessed with petty enmity and absolutely worthless/shallow considerations that only mire the continent in underdevelopment.

Of course Africans always resort to cursing and swearing [b]because it is an automatic reaction for many of them. A bastardized value system, over-reliance on religion/deities, vestiges of slavery (in some cases) and the efficacy of "divide and conquer" tactics from cynical leaders sees them always happy to ignore what matters in preference for chasing shadows. This is why Africans are still the people most susceptible to dwelling on the notions others "hate" and "envy" them. Everything simplistically boils down to this for most Africans.

The end result is the petty model of societal existence that sees us focusing on trivia while ignoring what can better society for the benefit of the majority. Looking at young Africans, I am not encouraged at all. I see 'lambs to the slaughter' and a vital population group under-performing and not equipped to even match others let alone better them.

Spot on!
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 21, 2012
ANOTHER GARBAGE, ILLITERATE REPORT FROM SOME FRUSTRATED FOOL.

Africa blah blah blah... This is the same Africa that has recorded steady progress in all areas since independence - infrastructure, education, health, nutrition, conflict resolution, you name it. The same Africa that today contains 7 of the world's ten fastest growing economies. The same Africa that is witnessing unprecedented foreign direct investment, replacing foreign aid as the main international focus area of the continent. The same Africa that has seen an explosion in its middle class, with that group reaching an unprecedented 300 million, up from (40 million in 1980) (African population, 1 billion). The same Africa that has seen a rise in elected democracies, and the end of military rule, when just two decades ago, elections were anathema, and military dictators plus life presidents held sway.

Today in Nigeria, we hold elections which EVERYONE agrees were FREE AND FAIR. Including international observers! HOW THE HELL IS THAT NOT PROGRESS?? Who would have ever believed transparent elections could hold in Nigeria?

Today, Nigeria's highest budgetary allocation is to guess what?

EDUCATION.

For the first time in our national history.

AFRICA IS MOVING. LET THOSE WHO WISH TO REMAIN BEHIND, DROWNING THEMSELVES IN depression and self flagellation, DO SO. BUT WE - Africans - ARE WAITING FOR NO ONE.
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by ballabriggs: 4:26pm On Nov 21, 2012
^ ^ ^ ^

Mor0n, so Africa is attracting "unprecedented" FDI?

It's amazing how foolish you are but at the same time condescending.
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by ebere1712: 10:13pm On Nov 21, 2012
All these british made niggas are an embarrassment to metu. Them pinks would handle you well. I trust them on nigarnology. That is what they do best. You dolts should come back home and get some sense. Stop spamming us with pink propaganda. It would not work.
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by GARRIx7(m): 10:32pm On Nov 21, 2012

The endangerment of Africa is total. Education barely prepares the youth for challenges of living in modern societies where the digital divide makes the differences uncomfortably obvious
Very true.

Perhaps, the biggest threat is the imitative corruption our leaders have imbibed. Billions of dollars stolen from the continent, annually, end up in foreign banks.
Corruption in Africa (esp. Nigeria)is chronic. If I'm to state Africa's problem in one word, the word would be: CORRUPTION...
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by redsun(m): 11:11pm On Nov 21, 2012
Gbawe:

Not so much a common sense issue. More that the value system of Africans is now very compromised and bastardized. For a continent endowed with so much and producing absolutely nada, one would think our youths would be up and doing. Instead they are obsessed with Brazilian hair, Louboutin footwear, embroidered blazers and garish materialism.

This is why it is still very easy for non-Africans to come to our continent and make it big in a relatively short period of time. The values and orientations of those non-Africans are calibrated properly to make them see and acknowledge what is important while the endowed remain totally blind to their own gifts.

It all boils down to common sense,which means good sense and sound judgement in practical matters,life matters.

Africans tend to live in limbos,in a world they dont understand,neither can they control.Yet they want they want to stay alive.

Even common spiders have better evolutionary traits they understand and control than africans.They are more intuitively and instinctively connected to their surroundings than africans.
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by LoveDecay(m): 11:49pm On Nov 21, 2012
thoth: The article is right; what is wrong is africans.

Yes, Africa is wrong, we have all the resources. And, we aint giving out for free.

Get ready, all you hungry naija boys washing toilet in britico will soon come home because na when oyinbo chop na im ego shayt.

Damburobo.Omo were.Nkiti ba bogu
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by LoveDecay(m): 11:51pm On Nov 21, 2012
redsun:

It all boils down to common sense,which means good sense and sound judgement in practical matters,life matters.

Africans tend to live in limbos,in a world they dont understand,neither can they control.Yet they want they want to stay alive.

Even common spiders have better evolutionary traits they understand and control than africans.They are more intuitively and instinctively connected to their surroundings than africans.

I pity you. Your slavery is in the soul, ur soul is slave to the white man.

God lives in Nigeria
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by redsun(m): 12:03am On Nov 22, 2012
Love_Decay:

God lives in Nigeria

My heart bleeds for your miseries.It bleeds for your fundamental ignorance.
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by Nobody: 12:45am On Nov 22, 2012
Love_Decay:

God lives in Nigeria

Bwahahahahaha @ the bolded...

God and filth don't mix... grin
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by Ufeolorun(m): 4:13am On Nov 22, 2012
shymexx:

You often exhibit the typical attitude of black diasporeans : irredeemably spiteful of the establishment where their migrant parents bore them and at the same time going on about with the perception of Africa ,constructed by this same system.
For every "Nigeria" in Africa being shockingly run aground by utterly bottomless old men and women who love to ride posh cars on roads with pot holes,anchor yacht on dirty and unkempt waters and fly jet around an air space voted as one of the most unsafe, there are glimmers like Rwanda,Ghana,Bostwana.

We must get there sha ni! cheesy
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by TonySpike: 4:59am On Nov 22, 2012
Sybellah: Africans don't like when you are telling them the truth abi, we talk about our continent, u come talk about Europe? Why the H must u look at others'problems instead of solving your own?
The funniest is despite Europe social and economical problems at this time, they are still better off than us,
Africa produce many "academic-smart" people who becomes followers and who outside of their professional/school field, are unable to think for themselves. #OutdatedRobots.
We also have a few thinkers, but some of them fear to speak and take actions because standing against the gov will probably cost them their life.
I have heard before that the political science faculty was suppressed from CIV Academics because the president at the time thought this section would have brought up revolutionary minds that would stand up against him. lol Leaders prefer ruling uneducated and unconscious folks to better manipulate them.

At the bolded, this is exactly what people like Obafemi Awolowo, from what I read tried to do for his people. By educating the people, you empower them and create new generation of thinkers for the society. Education makes one uneasily manipulated. On the other hand, deprive them of education, they become pliant and easily manipulated. African leaders know this secret but would rather let their populace remain uneducated. It's a big problem across Africa. We currently have this education suppression in a particular part of Nigeria
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by Nobody: 5:07am On Nov 22, 2012
Ufeolorun:
You often exhibit the typical attitude of black diasporeans : irredeemably spiteful of the establishment where their migrant parents bore them and at the same time going on about with the perception of Africa ,constructed by this same system.
For every "Nigeria" in Africa being shockingly run aground by utterly bottomless old men and women who love to ride posh cars on roads with pot holes,anchor yacht on dirty and unkempt waters and fly jet around an air space voted as one of the most unsafe, there are glimmers like Rwanda,Ghana,Bostwana.

We must get there sha ni! cheesy

I'm not spiteful - it's just annoying that most "educated" Africans are not willing to accept change, embrace critical thinking, and leave their comfort zones... Not really a fan of Albert Einstein, however, I believe most Africans/Nigerians need to embrace these quotes from him: "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction", "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them", and "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." We've been doing the same thing over and over again - and it hasn't worked for us, why can't we try something new

It's a new dawn for African diaspora and wind of consciousness is blowing among us... It's time for Africans at home to smell the coffee and embrace the wind of change... They should be ready to listen to our criticisms because we're more exposed than them - and we know that for Africa to reach its potentials, we need to embrace change... Failure to embrace change spells doom and a grim future for the continent...
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by Nobody: 6:00pm On Nov 22, 2012
Tony Spike:

At the bolded, this is exactly what people like Obafemi Awolowo, from what I read tried to do for his people. By educating the people, you empower them and create new generation of thinkers for the society. Education makes one uneasily manipulated. On the other hand, deprive them of education, they become pliant and easily manipulated. African leaders know this secret but would rather let their populace remain uneducated. It's a big problem across Africa. We currently have this education suppression in a particular part of Nigeria

Exactly!
Re: Africa’s Grim Future by Nobody: 6:23pm On Nov 22, 2012
Some of you guys are delusional!
You need to come back to reality.
I think some of you do not realize that we are beyond under-performing because you have a decent life?
#Africa the continent of extremes: Paradise for the rich, Hell for the poor.
Most Africans live in misery and the disparity between the poor and the rich is extreme. This wouldn't be the case if the corruption was lower and the leaders were working properly for the interest of their people. Take the example of Libya when Gaddafi was around. The man really used the resources of his country to the profit of his people. Can you vouch for example that most Nigerians have a decent standard of living when considering all the natural resources the country offers? I do not think so. Please get out of your bubble and stop being egoists. You, living well, is not enough to say your country is prospering. What we are saying is not to insult Africans, but rather to help raise consciousness about critical problems so we can evolve. There is nothing worst than educated people who refused to open their eyes and drag others in the hole with their essence-less and misleading "academic-smart" speech. Please wake up cause we are not doing well at all at all.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Does AMNESTY Mean? / The Best Way To Describe Nigeria / 2 British Nigerian Women Assaulted And Detained In China For 2 Months(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.