Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,885 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions (8603 Views)

Stop Attacking Buhari Over Appointments, Let Him Do His Job – PDP Chieftain / Staunch Buharists, Olateju And Farouk Kperogi Criticise Buhari Over Appointments / Kwankwaso Appeals To CBN Over New Bureau De Change Policy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by supereagle(m): 6:53am On Nov 20, 2012
ALLEGED favouritism and politicization of appointments and promotion of staff by the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, are reportedly causing tension and disaffection in the nation’s apex banking institution.

Vanguard reliably gathered that majority of the 1,861 senior and junior employees hired by the bank in the last three years were recruited largely through the influence of top bank officials and political actors in the administration, who see the apex bank as a goldmine reserved for their kith and kin.

Similarly, no fewer than 18 directors, assistant and deputy directors, were hired by influential and powerful persons into its executive management cadre within the period though the bank claims that there are no vacancies in the top cadre to warrant the promotion of overdue principal managers into such positions.

Bad blood

Several appointments made by the new management are said to be causing bad blood in the apex bank including some made at the director level of the apex bank. In one instance a director was said to have been ‘smuggled’ from outside by a powerful clique into the bank recently even at a time the bank claimed there was no vacancy for qualified senior bank staff to fill at the director level.

Two new salary grades

Findings revealed that over 200 Principal Managers, who graduated in various disciplines from the universities and joined the apex bank between 1983 and 2007 and were due for promotion into the Directorate Cadre of the CBN years ago, have been denied promotion on the excuse that there are no vacancies in the Directorate cadre. However, in a bid to ‘accommodate’ the affected staff, CBN created two new grades: Principal Manager on CBN Salary Scale of 04.1 and Deputy Manager on CBSS of 06, which are not provided for in its staff manual.

With the new measure, Senior Managers, who would have automatically been promoted to Assistant Directors, have been pegged at Principal Managers while Assistant Managers will now spend several years as Deputy Managers before becoming managers, a development seen as unduly delaying their rise in the bank.

But in a dramatic twist, the grades of no fewer than 180 new employees of the bank were recently adjusted even while they were on probation without recourse to availability of vacancies, promotion interviews or examinations, raising eyebrow in the process.

Appeal for promotion

It was based on the noticeable lopsided nature of appointments and promotions, that the affected Principal Managers wrote to the CBN Governor, Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, on June 16, 2012, pleading with him to cause them to be promoted to their respective grades, having served the bank meritoriously without blemish for over 20 years.

In the letter entitled, “A passionate appeal for the promotion of Principal Managers into Assistant Director Grade,” the aggrieved staff wrote: “Our appeal is that you passionately look into the issue of Principal Managers who graduated from 1983-1987 and worked in other notable organisations before joining the CBN.

“We have further improved our skills and acquired additional qualifications and have served the bank meritoriously without blemish for over 20 years. We are not unmindful of the budget implications of this exercise and we enjoin the management to consider and approve the supplementary promotions without accrued financial benefits to us.”

CBN ignores pleas

But the CBN management is reported to have tactically ignored the plea of those not promoted to their appropriate ranks on the grounds that many of them were actually due to be flushed out to create room for new hands. A source familiar with the development said the CBN governor did not believe that appointments and promotion of staff should be based solely on years of experience and one’s year of graduation from the university.

Mixed feelings

The development has, however, generated mixed feelings from those familiar with the bank’s history. For instance, in a letter addressed to the CBN, a former staff of the bank who was in charge of the staff Joint Consultative Council, JCC, warned that its deviation from laid down rules and regulations in the recruitment and promotion of staff was likely to destroy the core values of the apex financial institution.

Pensioner warns

Uke Harriman, who is now a CBN pensioner, wrote the letter to Sanusi, on May 31, 2012 and asked the bank to stop introducing strange measures capable of elongating the period of promoting qualified staff so as not to kill their spirit of creativity and productivity.

Harriman warned: “The haphazard promotion or appointment of employees without regard to seniority, qualifications, experience and performance will create self-seeking employees who will struggle to compensate in time for career advancement disruption caused by appointing an officer far junior in rank, age and qualification to them.

“As this expectation is gradually being impressed on the psyche of the employees, that any officer can be promoted to boss a senior officer who has been known to be qualified, dynamic and dedicated to his duties, there will be a negative adjustment to accept the situation.”

CBN committed no infraction

But CBN’s Director of Corporate Communications, Ugo Okoroafor, told Vanguard in an interview that the bank had not committed any infraction in its appointments and promotions, as it has always followed due process in such matters. Okoroafor, who defended the appointment of persons from outside into the bank over the years, said the apex bank was not bound by any known law to use only existing staff in its operations.

The bank’s spokesman also dismissed as untenable allegations levelled against the bank’s appointments at the director level saying that appointments made were based on the outstanding performance of those engaged in thier previous engagements.

Okoroafor pointed out that the bank had no option than to create the two special grades to accommodate the Principal Managers and Assistant Managers in the absence of available vacancies to place them.

He said: “There is no law in Nigeria saying that only staff who have spent eternity in a workplace should become the heads of such places. The CBN is empowered to recruit qualified Nigerian experts to meet its core mandate of rendering quality banking services to the nation,” Okoroafor said.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/tension-in-cbn-over-appointments-promotions/
Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by SlyIg(f): 7:33am On Nov 20, 2012
Hmmmmmmmmmm...
Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by ebamma(m): 7:34am On Nov 20, 2012
d
Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by EchikaChina: 7:39am On Nov 20, 2012
OKOROAFOR THE IDIOT WILL SOON BE CAUGHT IN THE MESS HE IS DEFENDING. NAIJA IS REALLY SICK.
Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by Chedarking: 7:48am On Nov 20, 2012
What do you expect from a bank led by a man with NO qualifications in Finance?

Sanusi studied Islamic Studies at Graduate and Post-graduate level, and realistically should be an Imam somewhere and not CBN boss.

This why Nigeria lacks direction - Its so bad when a foremost Economic Professional like Soludo is replaced by a Mullah.

SMH

1 Like

Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by Nobody: 7:55am On Nov 20, 2012
Chedarking: What do you expect from a bank led by a man with NO qualifications in Finance?

Sanusi studied Islamic Studies at Graduate and Post-graduate level, and realistically should be an Imam somewhere and not CBN boss.

This why Nigeria lacks direction - Its so bad when a foremost Economic Professional like Soludo is replaced by a Mullah.

SMH
I do not work in CBN. What CBN is doing is a common practice in organisation with many staff of similar age and lenght of service. It bcomes difficult to promote all of them because of cost implication. I think sanusi is only trying to limit the cost on salaries by creating the new positions to absorb this old staffs. I work in a multinational, and it is common practice. To be sincere, if i am one of the staffs i will not be happy. But at the same time, if i am one of the management of CBN I will do the same thing they are doing. That is why management is a difficult and complex task. where i work currently, it usually takes 3 years to move to this next grade. But with massive expansion and recruitment, the management said it is no longer viable for them to promote evry 3 years because of cost implications. as a result it is now 5 years. i am one those affected. i am not happy about it but at the same time i undastand the management point of view.

3 Likes

Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by Nobody: 7:59am On Nov 20, 2012
Y er they saying this nw, its been more than 6months since they staffs got promoted. Y didn't they affected once publish their complain like this?
Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by Ijebulogic(m): 8:04am On Nov 20, 2012
Clearly a sponsored article in the Vanguard. Since when did "graduating between 1983 and 1987" give anyone the right to be a Director? Where were all these "brilliant people" when the entire banking system was being run into a hole a few years ago? I'm sure many were Bank Inspectors and Auditors and saw nothing wrong with the games being played with depositors money. Now they are asking for promotions?? Please!
Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by tomakint: 8:21am On Nov 20, 2012
It is no longer news that Sanusi is on a mission to Northernize the CBN, at least I confirmed this from an insider! That guy is a desperate Islamic Fundamentalist, Jonathan should be wary of, he has succeeded in balkanising the CBN, the more reason he is fighting tooth and nail to allow the 'Autonomous clause' on the CBN to stay! I wonder when his tenure will end, he is someone to be monitored!
Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by supereagle(m): 8:38am On Nov 20, 2012
tomakint: It is no longer news that Sanusi is on a mission to Northernize the CBN, at least I confirmed this from an insider! That guy is a desperate Islamic Fundamentalist, Jonathan should be wary of, he has succeeded in balkanising the CBN, the more reason he is fighting tooth and nail to allow the 'Autonomous clause' on the CBN to stay! I wonder when his tenure will end, he is someone to be monitored!
The worst decision GEJ can take is to extend his tenure. All his predecessors i n this Democratic dispensation only spent one term. His tenure will expire in 2014, by then Northerners will be occupying juicy positions.
Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by 76virgins(m): 8:50am On Nov 20, 2012
Hmmmmmmmmm Nairaland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by tomakint: 8:54am On Nov 20, 2012
supereagle:
The worst decision GEJ can take is to extend his tenure. All his predecessors i n this Democratic dispensation only spent one term. His tenure will expire in 2014, by then Northerners will be occupying juicy positions.
2014? Men, with Sanusi still in charge that will only northernize CBN further. That guy is cynical, you can tell from the way he talks! cool
Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by tomakint: 8:57am On Nov 20, 2012
76virgins: Hmmmmmmmmm Nairaland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought they were '70 Virgins' why 76? grin grin
Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by Ganys: 9:04am On Nov 20, 2012
Chedarking: What do you expect from a bank led by a man with NO qualifications in Finance?

SMH
Religion Bigotism has becloud your real sense of reasoning...Pls, Where is Your BRAIN
Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by BigBro(m): 9:40am On Nov 20, 2012
Clearly a sponsored article in the Vanguard. Since when did "graduating between 1983 and 1987" give anyone the right to be a Director? Where were all these "brilliant people" when the entire banking system was being run into a hole a few years ago? I'm sure many were Bank Inspectors and Auditors and saw nothing wrong with the games being played with depositors money. Now they are asking for promotions?? Please!

TELL THEM OOOOO!!!!

And as someone with stunted reasoning ability is clamouring above, If Sanusi's tenure expires lets GEJ brings his kinsman to replace him, Sanusi's appointment as CBN Governor was based on merit. And his ability and competence are in the glare of everyone. His legacies as CBN governor are indelible.
Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by azpekuliar: 9:42am On Nov 20, 2012
No wonder! shocked

Their headquarters in Abuja has since become an extension of the Emir of Kano's palace. Doubt me? Go there!
Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by Akanbiedu(m): 9:52am On Nov 20, 2012
Vicious cycle.
Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by otokx(m): 10:00am On Nov 20, 2012
some things are being blown out of proportion.
Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by Elueme: 10:31am On Nov 20, 2012
The activities of CBN need to be investigated. Sanusi has turned that bank to northern's affairs. I am not insinuating and neither do I like tribal sentiment but it is the simple truth. I have two relatives in top managerial positions, one has been due for a director and the other for assistant director since ages but Sanusi persistently say there is no vacancy but outsiders most of whom are northern extracts come to occupy these positions why these men and women who have spent good number of years building the bank are short changed. This is my fears with CBN autonomy, Sanusi has become a monster to staff who are not in hs cabal. There is no transparency in employment, spending and promotion at that bank.. I support the revisiting of the autonomy granted that bank. CBN should have a regulator, not necessarily to order it but for checks and balance.

1 Like

Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by mkoabiola: 10:44am On Nov 20, 2012

SMH
But how come he was made in such a sensitive post?
I don't understand ooooo.so u mean he nva read anu course on Finance n he was made a CBN gov.
He shud b an Imam den if truly he read islamic studies,lol
Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by omowolewa: 10:51am On Nov 20, 2012
SLS again!
Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by Ijebulogic(m): 11:04am On Nov 20, 2012
Elueme: The activities of CBN need to be investigated. Sanusi has turned that bank to northern's affairs. I am not insinuating and neither do I like tribal sentiment but it is the simple truth. I have two relatives in top managerial positions, one has been due for a director and the other for assistant director since ages but Sanusi persistently say there is no vacancy but outsiders most of whom are northern extracts come to occupy these positions why these men and women who have spent good number of years building the bank are short changed. This is my fears with CBN autonomy, Sanusi has become a monster to staff who are not in hs cabal. There is no transparency in employment, spending and promotion at that bank.. I support the revisiting of the autonomy granted that bank. CBN should have a regulator, not necessarily to order it but for checks and balance.

I feel for your relatives as i'm sure they have worked hard over the years. However, let's not allow sentiments to cloud our judgement. Please who are these mysterious northern directors that have been appointed? I know of a number of "externally appointed" directors and none of them are from the North; they are either South east or South west. You dont have to mention names, just state the departments they run if you have any information contrary to what i have said. I encourage you to go and read some of Sanusi's old writings during the June 12 debates, where he attacked the Nothern dominated military and campaigned that Presidency should be given to the rightful winner of an election (south west). When we want to hang a dog, we should not give it a bad name first.

3 Likes

Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by aglomar: 11:21am On Nov 20, 2012
Just likd d wuruwuru that brought Sanusi
Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by KenDStar: 11:35am On Nov 20, 2012

SMH

Your assertions are not correct.

Sanusi obtained a degree in Economics from ABU, Zaria in 1981. He also has a degree in Islamic Law from International University of Africa,Khartoum. He attended Kings College, Lagos.
Sanusi taught Economics for 2 years at ABU (83 -85. In 1985, he joined the banking industry as a staff of Icon Ltd (Merchant Bank). In 1997, he joined UBA and was a GM (Credit & Risk Mgt Division)as at the time he left in 2005. He joined First Bank in 2005 as Executive Director. Before his current job as CBN Governor, he was MD of First Bank of Nigeria PLC. Sanusi is known as Risk Management expert in the banking industry.

Do I agree with all his actions? No, I don't. Am I his fan? Not really but I do admire his boldness. However facts are facts and should not be twisted to score cheap points.
Re: Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions by kinguwem: 11:38am On Nov 20, 2012
Mediocrity & favouritism are the major problems in the MDAs. The government organizations need restructuring. Most banks are not properly supervised and we are taking of promotion of officers. Years of service is not the only criteria for promotion. Productivity, honesty & requisite experience are basic requirements for promotion of officers.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gov Ugwuanyi Swears In New Commissioner, Four Youths As Special Advisers / Massive IPOB Protest Erupts In Aba Over Enugu Killngs(pic & Video) / Governor-Elect Peter Mbah Will Continue With Our Success Stories - PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.