Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,119 members, 7,835,766 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers (20799 Views)

MultiChoice Africa Announces Dstv Subscription Price Increase / Thread For DStv/GOtv Channel TELEMUNDO / Shouldnt DSTV Subscription Be On Pay As You Use Basis? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by pizapato(m): 4:25pm On Nov 20, 2012
[quote author=Okija_juju]

[b]Pay-per-view TV is different from Pay-as-you-go TV. On Pay-per-view, you need an active cable subscription to watch those channels. Eg, WWE Monday night raw (wrestling) have certain nights that are strictly on pay-per-view.. However, Pay-as-you-go means that you only get charged when your DSTV is on.. Sort of like NEPA prepaid meter.. No light, your subscription remains.. Which means some people will use 1000 Naira 'DSTV CREDIT' for 2 years..

I dont support it.. It will destroy DSTV

Even if this can't be done, I believe they can create a platform where u pay for stations u want to view in a month, each station will have its monthly value, so u can select the number σƒ stations u want to view and their value will be added together to make up ur monthly subscription. No just when u pay 5k and the fill it with 90% of channels u will never for once view

1 Like

Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by soledayo(m): 4:33pm On Nov 20, 2012
Okija_juju:

If they make that mistake, some people go use 5000 Naira 'credit' in 1 year.. They will only put on their DSTV on match days or Big Brother eviction Sundays..

I dont support this rubbish.. DSTV is a luxury not a necessity.. If a man cant afford Cable TV, then he should watch NTA..
But DSTV do pay as you go in Souh Africa. why not Nigeria? May be cos of people like you who believe suffering and cheating are normal.

1 Like

Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by babaowo: 4:36pm On Nov 20, 2012
Okija_juju:

I dont support this .. DSTV is a luxury not a necessity.. If a man cant afford Cable TV, then he should watch NTA or Nnewi tv.. [/b]
yeah!!!
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by MadCow1: 4:39pm On Nov 20, 2012
soledayo:
But DSTV do pay as you go in Souh Africa. why not Nigeria? May be cos of people like you who believe suffering and cheating are normal.

Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by goofie: 5:00pm On Nov 20, 2012
Okija_juju:

Have you seen the pictures I put up?!

Those pictures are from the sites of supposed Pay-as-you-go Cable providers abroad. Look at it and you will notice that what they are offering is the exact same thing DSTV is currently offering us in Nigeria & Africa..

I stand by my word that THEIR IS NO SUCH THING AS PAY AS YOU GO CABLE TELEVISION anywhere in the whole world..

If you think DSTV is too expensive, try NTA

no matter d case, anything cn be cheaper with d right competition. whn ders monopoly, we feel dey r doin us a favour.

dont sound so sure and unsympathetic. d situation of d country is affecting pple badly more than u. i try to empathize wit pple. i subscribe every month bt i know dt a lot of pple cant.

u sound like if u r ever in power,u will make a big demarcation btw d rich n d poor.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by MadCow1: 5:03pm On Nov 20, 2012
goofie:

no matter d case, anything cn be cheaper with d right competition. whn ders monopoly, we feel dey r doin us a favour.

dont sound so sure and unsympathetic. d situation of d country is affecting pple badly more than u. i try to empathize wit pple. i subscribe every month bt i know dt a lot of pple cant.

u sound like if u r ever in power,u will make a big demarcation btw d rich n d poor.

If DSTV packs out of Nigeria tomorrow, will we die?! NO!!

When I couldnt afford DSTV, I was watching CTL and co.. Today, I can afford DSTV, I upgraded.. Multichoice is a company, not a charity organization. We cant tell them how to run their business. If you are disatisfied, do not renew your subscription.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Sammiejo: 5:17pm On Nov 20, 2012
Okija_juju: WTF is this shiit about?! There is no place in the world where Cable Television is Pay-as-you-go..

If you cant afford Cable TV, stick to fhucking public TV... angry

Pay as you go TV has been working in South Africa for over 5 years.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by soledayo(m): 5:21pm On Nov 20, 2012
Okija_juju: WTF is this shiit about?! There is no place in the world where Cable Television is Pay-as-you-go..

U are the shiit here on nairaland. They do it south africa, so why not nigeria? may be u are one of their staff or contractor. U are both thieves.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by MadCow1: 5:22pm On Nov 20, 2012
Sammiejo:

Explain how the Pay-as-you-go system in South Africa works please.. And provide us with verifiable links online
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by iwanchop(m): 5:44pm On Nov 20, 2012
Think what we need is a coy that can break DSTV's monopoly.I bet they would reduce all their subscrition if there is a good competitor.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by AZeD1(m): 5:46pm On Nov 20, 2012
For all those screaming for pay as you go tv... check all the subscription services on line(Spotify, netflix, lovefilm) its all monthly subscriptions. It's not dstv's fault that we don't have light in Nigeria.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by coretechng(m): 5:47pm On Nov 20, 2012
Ete Flexible: As part of efforts at assuaging aggrieved consumers of Digital Satellite Television (DSTV), the Consumer Protection Council (CPC) has advised Multichoice Nigeria Limited, the owners of the cable television to introduce pay-as-you-go subscription for its subscribers.

CPC, at a recent meeting with top managers of DSTV, said the time was ripe for the introduction of the pay-as-you-go subscription in the interest of millions of subscribers of the satellite television.

The agency sought to know the reason why this form of subscription could not be introduced in Nigeria as it has been done in other climes for the economic well-being of consumers.

According to the Council, the pay-as-you-go subscription would allow consumers get value for their money, give them an option of choice as well as enable them control their consumption.

Besides the suggested introduction of the pay-as-you-go subscription, the Council also canvassed for some form of compensation to subscribers for loss of transmission signals, usually experienced by them during adverse weather conditions, particularly rainy season, known as “rain fade”.

Other issues discussed at the meeting included proper and adequate supervision of DSTV dealers and agents and seeming delay in resolution of consumer complaints by the company.

Responding, the delegation from Multichoice Nigeria Limited d[b]isclosed that the firm did not have the platforms to implement pay-as-you-go system of payment but promised to look into it.
[/b]Hmmm the way MTN was not having platform for per second billing
The delegation explained further that Multichoice is an access-to-content selling company and could not determine what it could purchase or sell to the smallest unit which would allow a pay-as-you-go payment system to function.

On the issue of compensation for down-times for signals, Multichoice explained that loss of signals during the rainy period is a natural occurrence, which could hardly be curtailed, promising, however, to look into the Council’s position that some form of compensation should be given to subscribers for this occurrence pending the development of a new technology that may solve the problem.

The company pointed out that it has always been committed to speedy resolution of consumer complaints, stating that there may, however, be slight delay in resolution if the problems were technical in nature.

While giving Multichoice the opportunity to further deliberate on the issues discussed at its management level, the Council was insistent that the Nigerian consumers must be given choices and options available in other countries and mandated the company to look into the above issues with despatch.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201211160598.html
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:52pm On Nov 20, 2012
Nigerians and free stuff. Why the hell is the CPC sticking their noses in one of the most successful business in this country

If it was that simple and easy to run a cable television biko where is HITV even with their initial gra gra where are they?
These guys have tried abeg, having bouquets as low as 1500 abi 2000.
IF you cannot afford it, leave it alone. Cut your babariga according to your size. Someone has to pay for the gel Mozez uses on his hair or for Ikpeba to make a totally boring match look interesting grin grin grin
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by nasty45(m): 6:05pm On Nov 20, 2012

my friend tha's hw they operate in SA....4 ur in4
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Kenistry(m): 6:10pm On Nov 20, 2012
HQ: I doubt multi-choice would go with this.
dats why we hv govt to make dem do so......
Unfortunately we dont hv one dat really cares abt her ppl....imagine, some ppl r even against CPC for tryin to reduce d exorbitant price Nigerians pay on DSTV dat most of dem cant even acct for......it's a shame.
If NEPA sorry PHCN, can b ' pay as u go', dere's notin dat can't b 'pay as u go'...
Am in support of CPC, I hope it works
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by nuattitude74(m): 6:13pm On Nov 20, 2012
babaowo: yeah!!!
Guy, very soon una go eat una words ! This NTA wey una dey run down so are partnering with a DRAGON called CHINA to steal a huge chunk of the market share from Multichoice. Very soon, it'll be time to bid for EPL broadcast rights again. Plans are afoot for NTA-STARTIMES to toss its Hat into the ring for the coveted EPL broadcast to Nigeria. Shebi na EPL be the crown Jewels of that South African Company wey dem take hold all men for blockus ? Can Multichoice outbid the Chinese with that country's abyss of funds ? When Multichoice eventually loses the EPL FOREVER, we'll see whether they won't come up with a cheaper and flexible business model.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Kenistry(m): 6:14pm On Nov 20, 2012
Okija_juju:

Shut up your poverty stricten mouth there.. angry

Is DSTV a luxury?! Did your father ever see a video cassete player talkless of Cable TV in his youth?! angry Look at the r`etard talking about brains..

Since your Minimum wage earning Family cannot afford DSTV, I will suggest you go and peek through your neighbours window, or buy external antenna and start watching NTA.. #Anu Ofia
i cry in Hebrew for folks like u, Lord hv mercy for ma ppl cos we perish for lack of knwledge......+sobbin+
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Demainman1: 6:14pm On Nov 20, 2012
DSTV must realise that the more affordable they make their subscription the more people will want to subscribe hence the more money they stand to make. Anyway, like some people already said that lack of competition is the main culprit in this instance undecided
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 20, 2012
DSTV is not a must, if you can not pay then don't buy

DSTV is not a charity organisation, they are here to make profit what they makes does not concern anybody, if you want to make such profit START YOUR OWN CABLE TV

DSTV is not doing anybody any favor as they operate, they operate to make money

DSTV is not the cause for you not to have stable light

can somebody tell us what it takes (the budget) to have the right to broadcast (EPL,UCL,LALIGA,SERIEA,GERMAN LEAGUE,FIFA COMPETITIONs, OLYMPIC, EURO BASKET BALL, TENNIS, ATF, FORMULA 1 AND MUCH MORE), REMEMBER ALSO DSTV HAVE STAFF WORKING FOR THEM AND PEOPLE WORKING FOR THEM ARE NIGERIANS.

REMEMBER THIS THING "THE NIGERIAN FACTOR"

WHERE IS HITV?

as Okija said
if dstv is charging too much please stick to NTA they have station in every state in Nigeria and it is free i mean 100%
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by greatgeo(m): 6:42pm On Nov 20, 2012
Its a welcome idea cos in some areas where they share light,they only use it when there is light imagine u using 5k 4 fuel every month including DSTV charges it just too much 4 us abeg it should be implemented Nigeria is not like other countries that enjoy light abeg.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Ogojohn(m): 6:44pm On Nov 20, 2012
CTL was the first satellite channel to introduce pay as you go. I don't know if they are still using the technology
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Lovine: 7:13pm On Nov 20, 2012
I don't pay for six months and will never pay but enjoy all the channels, I can tell you the secret, just write me and you will never waste your money again, serious
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by deelobe: 7:23pm On Nov 20, 2012
Multichoice ia not a part of MTN. A Nigerian, Deji Ogunsanya has the franchise to run it in Nigeria. I totally agree with CPC. I hope they will see this idea through. It will mAke DSTV sit up. Do you know when you pay you have to call them to reconnect you. At times it takes a day or two. I do understand that there are some Nigerian factors they have to deal with however, they take it too far. When you call their agents take all their time at the expense of our credit. secondly, for the sake of women they need to have a bouquet that is not premium that can give us the movie channels without all the football. I stopped paying for Premium because it was not worth it. I don't watch football which is the main reason they have the Premium bouquet. DSTV needs to look into this. The other challenge I have with them is that they take Nigerians for granted. They do not take our complains seriously because Nigerians do not see any matter through. When we were told not to pay a lot of Nigerians went to pay. Really!
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by deelobe: 7:25pm On Nov 20, 2012
Multichoice ia not a part of MTN. A Nigerian, Deji Ogunsanya has the franchise to run it in Nigeria. I totally agree with CPC. I hope they will see this idea through. It will mAke DSTV sit up. Do you know when you pay you have to call them to reconnect you. At times it takes a day or two. I do understand that there are some Nigerian factors they have to deal with however, they take it too far. When you call their agents take all their time at the expense of our credit. secondly, for the sake of women they need to have a bouquet that is not premium that can give us the movie channels without all the football. I stopped paying for Premium because it was not worth it. I don't watch football which is the main reason they have the Premium bouquet. DSTV needs to look into this. The other challenge I have with them is that they take Nigerians for granted. They do not take our complains seriously because Nigerians do not see any matter through. When we were told not to pay a lot of Nigerians went to pay. Really!
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Nobody: 7:29pm On Nov 20, 2012
Okija_juju:

Shut up your poverty stricten mouth there.. angry

Is DSTV a luxury?! Did your father ever see a video cassete player talkless of Cable TV in his youth?! angry Look at the r`etard talking about brains..

Since your Minimum wage earning Family cannot afford DSTV, I will suggest you go and peek through your neighbours window, or buy external antenna and start watching NTA.. #Anu Ofia

thurder fire ur mouth. Ode, opomu, son of a bloody thief. is person liKe u that would rather want everybody 2 be poor n only u rich, so that u can hold them 2 ransom.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by chochoman: 7:35pm On Nov 20, 2012
Okija_juju:

Pay-per-view TV is different from Pay-as-you-go TV. On Pay-per-view, you need an active cable subscription to watch those channels. Eg, WWE Monday night raw (wrestling) have certain nights that are strictly on pay-per-view.. However, Pay-as-you-go means that you only get charged when your DSTV is on.. Sort of like NEPA prepaid meter.. No light, your subscription remains.. Which means some people will use 1000 Naira 'DSTV CREDIT' for 2 years..

I dont support it.. It will destroy DSTV..
who cares if it destroys them.You are sounding like the general(now retired) who said telephone is for the elite.so you prefer the idea of paying for services enjoyed as in the Nepa prepaid to exploitation as in the Nepa crazy bills?
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by omoobajeje1(m): 7:55pm On Nov 20, 2012
Will it be a crime if Nigeria happens to be the first country I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ the world to start PAYG on cable tv

Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by ehispapa(m): 8:11pm On Nov 20, 2012
megawave: CPC please tell DSTV they can achieve this by selling minutes to we consumers, so when my decoder is on for 3hrs a day i am charged for that 3 hrs and i still have a lot of viewing hrs left.
sometimes i stress my purse just to please my guests, i forcefully subscribe just to make their stay pleasurable but if the pay as u go is adopted, i will deprive myself while i reserve my viewing time for my guests
Thumbs up CPC
CPC should name the countries where this is obtainable, cos i have been to about six countries and have never seen anything of sort. they should stop looking for nigerians emphathy
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by ehispapa(m): 8:18pm On Nov 20, 2012
Sammiejo:

My brother you lied..again
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by Msauza(m): 8:28pm On Nov 20, 2012
soledayo:
U are the shiit here on nairaland. They do it south africa, so why not nigeria? may be u are one of their staff or contractor. U are both thieves.
SA currently has two satellite TV, ie, DSTV and TOP TV. The TOP TV, rival to the DSTV and not yet introduced in Nigeria has brought about a new innovation of a prepaid system where you can even buy prepaid airtime from your cellphones. There is a third and the forth pay TV which will be soon introduced in SA.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by rman: 8:59pm On Nov 20, 2012
I am not in support of this move by CPC. Why?

It is bad sign trying to force a particular company that offers the best services to bend to some unfair rules in a competitive market.

Last time I checked we have StarTimes, GoTv, HiTv, Aand some others not known to me. Why are we now trying to arm twist DSTV? Did HiTv do same when they had the premiership rights?

CPC shou;d compel FG or NBC or whoever is in charge to allow a competitive company that can deliver this ''pay as you go'' Tv to enter the market. That way, if it is indeed rich in content, DSTV will have no choice but to adjust.

This is similar to our senators asking Virgin or BA to reduce business class tickets when ARIK ply the same london route.

All this arm twisting is not encoraging to foreign investors.

Opening up the market to a company that can deliver ''pay as you watch'' is the way to go.

Going back to the MTN example: MTN had to adjust because GLO implemented per second billing and their subscriber based soared rapidly because of that. NCC did not compel MTN to do per second billing, competiton and market forces determined it.

I love competitive market, it is a little bit self regulatory.
Re: CPC Wants Pay-as-you-go Subscription For DSTV Consumers by bilms(m): 9:08pm On Nov 20, 2012
good

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Last Flight To Abuja (pics) / "Black Val" Premiere: Toyin Aimakhu, Iyabo Ojo, Dayo Amusa, Desmond Elliot / BBN6: White Money's Instagram Account Is Back. (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.