Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,231 members, 7,829,408 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? (2173 Views)

Breaking! Nnamdi Kanu Customized Coca Cola Drink Flood Nigeria Market-pics / The Most Romantic Food In Nigeria / Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by Colonia(m): 6:12am On Feb 07, 2008
We need be aware of the danger these genetically enhanced food has on our health . People are dying young , there are more diseases in Nigeria now unlike before. Please advice on what we can do to make  an average Nigerian to be aware of this danger ? Or should we leave this up to the government ?
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by Lady2(f): 7:28am On Feb 07, 2008
We should stop copying the west.
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by BigB11(m): 4:29pm On Feb 07, 2008
Please advice on what we can do to make  an average Nigerian to be aware of this danger ? Or should we leave this up to the government ? 

First, it is confirmed that the Nigerian government are purely retarded and absolutely useless; hence it is up to us, the citizens to educate each other on what is healthy and what is not.
And I'm proud to state that few things are currently being done regarding eating healthy and living longer in Nigeria. There are couple of shows on NTA that are actually designed to promote and stress the importance of identifying healthy food from poison.

Finally, I also think that in order for this campaign to be effective, we must discover a better strategy to elevate the poverty level of my people.
It is difficult for one to identify healthy food when this individual can't even afford to wipe his or her as s. Hence, it all falls into the poverty level of my people.
We must continue to create job opportunities, educate the citizens, and promote better ways of life, which will automatically increase our lifespan.

You don't expect a poor society to be finicky when it comes to food selection; in this kind of society, folks usually go with the flow and eat whatever is available.

We must also find a way to force our birdbrained government to control the market!
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by debosky(m): 4:37pm On Feb 07, 2008
This is a baseless claim

'people are dying young'?? is GM food the cause of Nigeria's atrocious infant mortality or the millions of malaria deaths annually? What are your facts?

'there are more diseases now than before' based on what facts? Because they were classified as 'brief illness' before now and are now being revealed as diseases, you think diseases have increased?

Even if diseases have increased, lifestyle changes are the PRIMARY cause of those diseases, coupled with environmental pollution, NOT GM food

the majority of Nigerians eat Garri/Maize/Sorghum as staple foods, or are we importing Genetically modified garri now? grin grin

What proof do you have of ANY dangers of genetically modified foods, or the quantity/ percentage of such foods consumed in Nigeria?

Without any of the above stated pieces of evidence or facts, your assertions cannot be taken seriously - it is mere scare mongering/ 'West' bashing.
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by Colonia(m): 4:52pm On Feb 07, 2008
@ Debosky
  I can tell you have no idea of what you are talking about. All these food that you mentioned what are their sources e.g cassava Right! does cassava look the same nowadays ? and when was the last time you were in  the hospital ? we have always been an healthy nation , but something must have gone wrong somewhere . I know we are all busy with politics , 419 etc but this an important issue we need to pay attention too. if you want to see the proof go visit nigerian hospital. we all need to know about this , people are been poisoned .
Also in the west organic / inorganic are well labelled so that consumers distinguish and make their selection. Right?
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by 4Him(m): 4:55pm On Feb 07, 2008
inorganic food is not something Nigerians shld be worried about. More people die of hunger everyday in that country than will die of inorganic food poisoning in 10 yrs.
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by BigB11(m): 5:07pm On Feb 07, 2008
inorganic food is not something Nigerians shld be worried about. More people die of hunger everyday in that country than will die of inorganic food poisoning in 10 years

4HIM:

That was a senseless statement!
So because folks die of hunger everyday we shouldn't pay attention to the sources of food that are being made available to the citizens?

I just don't get it; the thinking level of some folks are just sappy!
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by BigB11(m): 5:11pm On Feb 07, 2008
I think we've made ourselve to be worthless in many ways; and this is also one of the reasons why they will forever take advantage and continue to step all over us.
We don't get it.
Folks will only treat you the way you've presented yourself!

Just because our economy standard is currently weak doesn't mean we should debase our value as human being!
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by pahtahkee: 5:14pm On Feb 07, 2008
Since when did Nigeria start celebrating them in making Inorganic foods?
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by Kobojunkie: 11:51pm On Feb 07, 2008
Colonia:

We need be aware of the danger these genetically enhanced food has on our health . People are dying young , there are more diseases in Nigeria now unlike before. Please advice on what we can do to make an average Nigerian to be aware of this danger ? Or should we leave this up to the government ?

uuummmm, what is your source for these claims of yours?? People are dying young because of genetically enhanced food?? LMAO!!!!! OH LORD HAVE MERCY ON US ALL OOO!!!!!
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by almondjoy(f): 12:22am On Feb 08, 2008
4Him:

inorganic food is not something Nigerians shld be worried about. More people die of hunger everyday in that country than will die of inorganic food poisoning in 10 years.

Thank you once again! See people who do not eat 3 square meals a day talking about inorganic food poisoning. What a joke!

Just to tell you what warped sense of reasoning most Nigerians have.
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by Kobojunkie: 12:44am On Feb 08, 2008
almondjoy:

Thank you once again! See people who do not eat 3 square meals a day talking about inorganic food poisoning. What a joke!

Olorun gba wa o!!!!! LMAO!!!!
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by TheSly: 12:49am On Feb 08, 2008
orisirisi. . . . . cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin wetin person no go hear
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by Colonia(m): 12:52am On Feb 08, 2008
Thats fine. But in the future you guys will say somebody did mention the danger ahead .
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by almondjoy(f): 1:05am On Feb 08, 2008
Colonia:

Thats fine. But in the future you guys will say somebody did mention the danger ahead .

Hmmmmmmmmmmm! Thank you!
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by oldie(m): 1:43am On Feb 08, 2008
@ poster
IITA (International Institute of Tropical Agriculture), Ibadan started cross-breeding (genetically modified?) cassava over five years ago to produce better yield
Is that one of the in-organic foods you are refering to?
I hope not

Please mention some of the in-organic foods available in Nigeria
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by Nobody: 11:40am On Feb 08, 2008
almondjoy:

Well, its not a joke to me, I have lost a 31 year old sister to Avanced Cancer of the Ovaries, Lost a 24 year old friend to Diabetis and have a 17 year old cousin undergoing Dialysis for failure of both Kidneys. These are strnage happiness because most of these disease happen at advanced ages but no happen to young people. Most of the research I have done have pointed to changes in our livestyles which include our diet. Yes you have a valid point, people die of hunger, yet people also die from what they eat, it is fast becoming a reality, we cannot shrug it away.
Back to the topic, I believe a lot in preventive medicine, it is cheaper and saves a lot of time and lives. We have to learn to eat healthy and exercise more. Eat the right foods, friuts vegetables,and cut down on the fancy fast food. We have the misconception that it is a status thing to eat all those fancy foods but it is erronous, wehave to learn to eat healthy, am glad these days when i see more and more people Working and Jogging in the morning, it helps.
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by amebo22: 12:13am On Apr 02, 2009
Lady and Debosky's points are solid.

We are really trying to imitate the west and west are trying to come bak to the old days going back to organic food.but look at it critically ow is that posible the meat you eat has antibiotic to make it look big and healthy the food the animals eat is already engineer genetically so is the fertilizer used for planting crops., Research has shown that despite what we are going thru we still have the best food source.
once we stop all the engineered food and change ur food eating habit and lifestyle eg eating Eba for Breakfast,iyan for lunch and amala/tuwo for dinner 7days a week 31 days a month would not help, eat fruits and veggies to get the antioxidants tat would help avert such illness.
the cause of cancer is a as a result of alterations of the bases or structure of DNA, drink alot of water because if u know the content of all the soda u will fear, my 2cent. i can answer more questions just did not want to bore u with too much science.
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by biina: 4:11am On Apr 02, 2009
@poster
I am not sure where you got your information from, but they are so off base that I don't know where to start.

Firstly, there is a difference between organic vs non-organic (not inorganic - that is in chemistry), and genetically modified (not enhanced) and non-genetically modified food sources

GM food are essentially genetically modified to posses certain desired traits like immunity to an infection, or reduce rate of ripening.
- Genetically enhanced foods are not the problem per se, but rather lack of due diligence in analyzing the effects new variants/mutants
- There is little to no research on the clinical impact of GM foods
- GMs result in reduced use of pesticides, herbicides and antibiotics by making the plant or animal genetically immune.

Organic foods are cultivated under an approximately closed farming system. What qualifies as organic depends on the specific country, and except in the case of livestock, usually does not bar the cultivation of GM produce
- The issue of organic foods is more of marketing than actual facts. Like in most situations where money is at stake, supporters come out with research results that favor them, while the opposing side bring up counter results.
- The whole organic production is less than 2% of world food production. So I wonder why the rest of the world is so stupid if the dangers are so evident as you claim.
- Organic food still make use of some of the chemicals used in alternate methods
- There has been no incontrovertible evidence that organic foods are nutritiously better than the alternative.
- The yield of organic farming is lower and  the associated cost is higher

As the field of medicine advances, finer diagnoses would be possible, and thus there would be 'more diseases'. Ailments that formerly unidentified,non resolvable, or wrongfully diagnosed, can now be properly classified.
Most diseases (infectious diseases) are caused by pathogens (viral, bacterial, and fungal), and not the food we eat. Ingested chemical can possibly cause non-infectious diseases like cancer and cardiac problems. Specific chemicals have been traced to several of such diseases, but the path from using them as pesticide to the occurrence of the disease is not so clear.

Life expectancy in Nigeria was 42yrs in  1970 and 47yrs for both 1990 and 2006. I don't know what your indicators are that led you to  conclude that "people are dying young"

BTW I knew someone who lived in the US, was a vegetarian, and ate organic foods, but unfortunately died of cancer
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by Nobody: 4:12am On Apr 02, 2009
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do?

Better carry your own ada(cutlass)  and seeds to the nearest farm.
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by biina: 4:47am On Apr 02, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do?

Better carry your own ada(cutlass)  and seeds to the nearest farm.

d guy na organic ajebota, e no go fit bend im back to make ridges.

@colonia: abi u fit? (u fitn't)
Re: Inorganic Food In Nigeria Market Is Affecting Our Health What Can We Do? by Badriyyah(f): 6:15pm On Apr 02, 2009
This is amusing. If there are more diseases in Nigeria today it's definitely NOT because of inorganic food. Observe some typical Nigerians Diet and you'll find the reason there, they won't touch vegetables and their food rations could probably feed an average family of 5.

(1) (Reply)

Name And Describe How To Prepare Various Deltan Food You Know. / Lose Weight And Eat Healthy In 7 Days / Badagry Coconut Oil For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.