Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? (2964 Views)

All About "JAMES HADLEY CHASE" Novels #ones You'v Read & Experiences / The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) / James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by luvmijeje(f): 6:48am On Nov 21, 2012
In my opinion, I still prefer reading novels than watching the adapted films. I realize most scenes that appears in the novels are missing from the adapted films

What's your take on this?
Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by Anthiga(m): 9:10pm On Nov 21, 2012
yeah, i also think reading novels are better and most times the plot of the movie adaptation is almost completely altered from what you read in the novel, for example i read the Godfather watched the movie 1 2 3 and also read a book titled the godfather papers by thesame author where he analysed what basically happens during movie adaptations, attimes the authors have little or no input in the production but there's this satisfaction i get seeing a movie related to a book i read.

2 Likes

Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by Brisingr(m): 5:50am On Nov 22, 2012
there are a few exception to this,but what comes to mind now is the lord of the rings trilogy the book,though great if u have the patience to wait for the payoff, tends to ramble on about unecessary details unlike the movies.as for the godfather i think the 2nd and 3rd movie are not adapted from mario's godfather i might be wrong on this issue sha.

1 Like

Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by k2039: 9:34am On Nov 22, 2012
Novels adapted movies for me,I will rather read books that will add values to my life than sit down and read a novel.

1 Like

Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by saintfizzo(m): 9:56am On Nov 22, 2012
Readin d novel takes 3dayz,†ђξ movie takes 2hrs,as a time manager,movies for me grin

1 Like

Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by sarutobie(m): 10:01am On Nov 22, 2012
Ofcourse reading the original story(novel) is much better and accurate..for example my dad gave me a translation of Homer's book 'greeks and trojans' about 300pages or so back in my js1..the story was even more vivid,interesting than the movie 'Troy'..Troy had a lot of inaccuracies in it..Achilles in the original story wasn't among the greek soldiers who entered troy through the wooden horse..he died outside the walls of troy by a single arrow shot by Paris and directed by Apollo to the heel..and that was before the wooden greek gift..
Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by mimibets(f): 10:02am On Nov 22, 2012
i like novel adapted movies,although some can be very disappointing eg gifted hands so i prefer watching the movie after reading the book.breaking dawn prt 2 of the twilight series is totally mind blowing,way better than the book.

1 Like

Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by yuzedo: 10:13am On Nov 22, 2012
The only Novel Adapted Movie that equaled, infact surpassed the Novel is, The Godfather.
Your imagination is limitless when you read novels, but watching a Movie is seeing an interpretation of a novel through another person's eyes (The Director)..
Novels take the day! (except the movie is a bonafide classic)

2 Likes

Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by Eltonluigi(m): 10:23am On Nov 22, 2012
Good thing about novel is; NEPA don't get to sieze light!

3 Likes

Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by OgidiOlu3(m): 10:24am On Nov 22, 2012
sarutobie: Ofcourse reading the original story(novel) is much better and accurate..for example my dad gave me a translation of Homer's book 'greeks and trojans' about 300pages or so back in my js1..the story was even more vivid,interesting than the movie 'Troy'..Troy had a lot of inaccuracies in it..Achilles in the original story wasn't among the greek soldiers who entered troy through the wooden horse..he died outside the walls of troy by a single arrow shot by Paris and directed by Apollo to the heel..and that was before the wooden greek gift..

From ur post, i'll assume odyssey is a more accurate novel adapted movie since achilles died outside d walls of Troy.

@op. Na the movie sure pass. Truth is, the novel is usually better than its movie adaptation, like harry potter series, but d novels i enjoy reading are Fagunwa's.
Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by olsmade(m): 10:31am On Nov 22, 2012
Well, it depends on d partIcular title. But generally, i think i prefer reading novels to watching d movies. I remember reading 'the count of monte cristo' by Alexandre Dumas before watching the movie. I totally loved the book and the mOvie, in all fairness was beautiful too, but it left less of an impact on me than the book.
Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by amiskurie(m): 10:31am On Nov 22, 2012
luvmijeje: In my opinion, I still prefer reading novels than watching the adapted films. I realize most scenes that appears in the novels are missing from the adapted films

Novels 4 life!
Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by IlCapitano(m): 10:43am On Nov 22, 2012
Novels all the way. A few details are left out in most movies. It ain't easy reading the novels though e.g Tolkien's Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by chessguru1(m): 10:45am On Nov 22, 2012
Have to agree. Remember watching harry potter, nd feeling furious. the major thing is that in novels, u can get in 2 the characters head and Knw the way they feel etc. While in movies, such expressions depend on d dexterity of the actor playing the role.
There are exceptions though. Its sometimes beta 2 watch adventure novel adaptations than read them, cos the level of enjoyment u derive from reading the book is largely a function of that individuals imagination e.g lord of the rings (walahi I confuse whn I read that book tongue)
Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by Keemie(f): 10:53am On Nov 22, 2012
I prefer the novel but I'll still watch the movie
Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by Sammy107d(m): 10:57am On Nov 22, 2012
Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by Ruq: 11:19am On Nov 22, 2012
Are you friggin kiddin me ?
When you talk about
Fight Club
The Lincoln Lawyer
Gone Baby Gone
Mystic Rivers
Shutter Island
The Ghost and the Darkness
Scott Pilgrim Vs the world (comic book)
The Green Hornet also comic.
I' have never read a novel in my life but imagine if someone never taught of converting these novels to movies, i would never come across them in years to come.
Though i don't read novels but i have come to realise how icredibly amazing writers can be with their books, i just cant forget Chuck Palanuik or Dennis Lehane. These writers are surely from space.

1 Like

Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by Fancier(f): 11:34am On Nov 22, 2012
For me, i would rather read. Harry Potter thought me that lesson, watching the movie after reading the book, was pointless.
Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by zibe(m): 11:43am On Nov 22, 2012
Novels for me.

Watching the DaVinci Code movie wasn't as interesting as reading the book. So many things were altered just to make the movie not too long. My imaginations of the casts with the novel were better IMO.

Same thing goes for John Grisham's Runaway Jury.
Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by asharababe: 12:08pm On Nov 22, 2012
@Olsmade, l agree wt u, reading count of monte cristo was lnteresting than the Movie same wt A TIME TO KILL
Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Nov 22, 2012
luvmijeje: In my opinion, I still prefer reading novels than watching the adapted films. I realize most scenes that appears in the novels are missing from the adapted films

In fact, generally I hate watching movies, I rather prefer to read the novel of it than watch it on screen, bores me and makes me fall asleep...
Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by codeaddict(m): 12:52pm On Nov 22, 2012
I used to prefer reading the book until I started watching The Vampire Diaries.
Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by Daluuzor(m): 1:06pm On Nov 22, 2012
k2039: Novels adapted movies for me,I will rather read books that will add values to my life than sit down and read a novel.

are u tryin to tell us dat reading novel adds no value to ur life!? Choi! Bros u r makin a big mistake oo, reading novel shapes ur accent and improves ur spoken english, ur sch buks wont do much for u in these aspect. Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by Kagawa: 1:23pm On Nov 22, 2012
novels all the way.... the movies just show us little of what our minds have already imagined, what we have seen before.... that is, if you have a mind like mine .
Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by nekaa(f): 1:29pm On Nov 22, 2012
Reading is way better. I like it when ma mind does the movie itself.... Nobody gets the perfect actors for each role like I do.

1 Like

Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by Luluvich(m): 2:14pm On Nov 22, 2012
I can't decide. I enjoy both. however in some instances like Twilight, Percy Jackson and The Olympians, The Hunger Games, and a few others, the books were way, WAY, better. Has anyone noticed that Hollywood rarely churns out original screenplay motion pictures any more? every movie is based on something now. Watch out for Beautiful Creatures. I read it last month and was shocked when I saw a trailer for it on Monday. Its a perfect blend of magic and forbidden love. Where Harry Potter meets Twilight.
Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by purplespecimen: 4:16pm On Nov 22, 2012
Novels are way more interesting. But I' must say the producers of "game of thrones" did a wonderful job. The movie made the characters in the novel more real especially Tyrion Lannister the dwarf or half man grin
Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by ochukoeja(f): 5:30pm On Nov 22, 2012
I'd rather read the book o. No one can explain things better than the author. Case in point is the sword of truth by Goodkind Terry. I've read all 14 books and was totally mind blown when I saw d series as legend of the seeker. All the characters chosen were a disappointment. The storyline an insult to the author. Don't get me started on harry potter. Maybe its becos I hv a vivid imagination
Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by k2039: 6:46pm On Nov 22, 2012
Dalu uzor:

are u tryin to tell us dat reading novel adds no value to ur life!? Choi! Bros u r makin a big mistake oo, reading novel shapes ur accent and improves ur spoken english, ur sch buks wont do much for u in these aspect. Just my 2 cents.
Who told you I meant school books when I said books that add value to my life,and besides na accent or spoken english I wan chop,mtchew.
Re: Novels Or Novel Adapted Films: Which Do You Prefer? by Shalome(m): 7:43pm On Nov 22, 2012
The Godfather - Mario Puz
The Last Don - Mario Puzo
Lord Of The Rings - JRR Tolkien
The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
Bourne Series - Robert Ludlum
Angels n Demons - Dan Brown
007 - Ian Flemming
Twilight Saga
Vampire's Diary
the list goes on n on..d movie rendition r cool but if u've read the novels, the movies r trash in comparision
#okbye

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Big Mermaid (an Afro fantasy /sci-fi Short Story) / The Girl In The Brothel / How To Cope With Toxic People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.