Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,985 members, 7,825,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing (12285 Views)

Apc’s Lawyer Beaten, Arrested And Car Impounded At Enugu Governorship Tribunal / Presidential Committee On Defence Visits Innoson For Local Weapons Production / Confab: FG Sets Up Presidential Committee On Implementation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by LocalChamp: 5:25pm On Nov 21, 2012
Handicapped Lawyer Says He Was Beaten Up At Presidential Committee Hearing

Posted: November 20, 2012 - 18:30

By SaharaReporters, New York
A handicapped lawyer, Mr. Chinedu Anaje was yesterday beaten up and thrown out of the office of the Chairman of a Presidential Committee on Trade Malpractices. Anaje, a Lagos-based legal practitioner was there to represent Hyundai Nigeria Limited on the invitation of the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.

The Committee was looking into a petition brought by Primlacks Galvanizing Nigeria Limited against Hyundai Nigeria Ltd. Primlacks had alleged “forgery, betrayal of trust and other trade malpractices” against Hyundai. Mr. Anaje was invited to give his perspective on the allegation.

Saharareporters source said that trouble started when Anaje informed the committee chairman, Mallam Dahiru Ado-Kurawa that the matter under discussion was pending in a competent court of law, and as such it should not be deliberated upon pending court decision. Anaje’s counsel did not go well with the chairman of the committee. “They felt uncomfortable with that,” Mr. Anaje told Saharareporters. “The chairman asked me to leave his office. They wanted to kick me out and then detain my client of which they had no such powers.”

According to Anaje, before he could say jack, three lieutenants of the chairman pounced on him, pushed him down and dragged him out of the office. “One kicked me on the ass,” he said. “One had to hold me by the neck. They tore the button of my shirt. I was on the floor, and they were dragging me.”

Mr. Anaje sustained injuries on his bad leg. He said he would be going to an orthopedic hospital to see a doctor.

Speaking further to Saharareporters about his ordeal, Mr. Anaje said, “I’m actually taking legal action against them. It is uncalled for. It is the height of barbarism.”

Nigeria has a long history of poor treatment of disabled individuals. The Nigerian Disability Bill, an act to enhance the dignity of disabled individuals has been languishing in the National Assembly for years. Most public buildings in Nigeria do not have handicap access.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/handicapped-lawyer-says-he-was-beaten-presidential-committee-hearing

1 Like

Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by malc619(m): 5:34pm On Nov 21, 2012
Sorry bro...... angry angry angry angry
That's what poor men go through here in Nigeria on a daily basis.

1 Like

Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by AbdulAdam56(m): 5:38pm On Nov 21, 2012
Jst passin na there matter,ntn do me
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by Ramcie(f): 8:22pm On Nov 21, 2012
I can just imagine the pain and humiliation cry cry cry so sad. cry
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by k2039: 8:24pm On Nov 21, 2012
He knows the law,He should sue them for damages
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by bblacky(f): 8:24pm On Nov 21, 2012
Sowi councilor! U no b d first! Pele
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by Godan: 8:25pm On Nov 21, 2012
God'll surly punish dem for that stupid act.

2 Likes

Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by Slyp: 8:27pm On Nov 21, 2012
Is a bity, naija for live
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by Nobody: 8:32pm On Nov 21, 2012
If u are not flogged,u're beaten,if u're not beaten,u will be lynched... So pathetic.
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by SELFWORTH: 8:35pm On Nov 21, 2012
Suing them will not work in Nigeria. You have to hit them where it hurts.

The best thing is to put them to shame by embarrassing them and give them bad publicity. If it was me, I will give an interview to the BBC and put it on YouTube. I assure you within 24 hours, they will issue a grovelling apology plus substantial damages.

2 Likes

Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by adicious(m): 8:37pm On Nov 21, 2012
U go de speak big english for badt guys.....
Sorry!
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by Ryabcool(m): 8:37pm On Nov 21, 2012
Slyp: Is a bity, naija for live
loool! Its no longer first to comment. Na to d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ spoil page with gbagaun remain

1 Like

Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by Osascandyheart: 8:39pm On Nov 21, 2012
I wonder wat dis country is truning into may God help us.sorry bros.
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by warrikid(m): 8:40pm On Nov 21, 2012
Hmmmmmm,u no happy say dem no giv u accidental discharge.u dey dere dey explain,commonnn run go chuuch go dey stay dere dey thank God for your life joor.
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by SEYIKP(m): 8:40pm On Nov 21, 2012
THAT IS NIGERIA FOR U, A COUNTRY WHERE EVERYTHING GOES, SORRY GOD WILL AVENGE FOR U. SORRY PLS B4 I GO 8TH TO COMMENT THANK GOD AM TOP UNDER TOP 10, SEUN PLEASE SEND MY PRIZE TO MY GTB ACCT 20122012012 HOPE THE MONEY HAS GONE UP TO 1M£.
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by stonefaze: 8:41pm On Nov 21, 2012
sadSorweeee
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by MadCow1: 8:42pm On Nov 21, 2012
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by Nobody: 8:42pm On Nov 21, 2012
Can you imagine, barbaric and uncivil people who call themselves a Presidential Committee! What a shame!
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by SEYIKP(m): 8:42pm On Nov 21, 2012
THAT IS NIGERIA FOR U, A COUNTRY WHERE EVERYTHING GOES, SORRY GOD WILL AVENGE FOR U. SORRY PLS B4 I GO 8TH TO COMMENT THANK GOD AM UNDER TOP 10, SEUN PLEASE SEND MY PRIZE TO MY GTB ACCT 20122012012 HOPE THE MONEY HAS GONE UP TO 1M£.
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by yohannazack(m): 8:47pm On Nov 21, 2012
Its not new o, na only president and his committee na dem get power in dis country.
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by manny4life(m): 8:47pm On Nov 21, 2012
The man should be removed of his position immediately + N100million damages awarded to the victim. What kind of behavior is this?
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by salolo(m): 8:53pm On Nov 21, 2012
this is babarism, and evil
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by minimono(m): 9:06pm On Nov 21, 2012
Still can't believe is true, I'm just thinking of the future of this nation. Called Nigeria..........God save us al
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by aglomar: 9:06pm On Nov 21, 2012
haba
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by ubong560(m): 9:25pm On Nov 21, 2012
Forget abt court cos there's no hope 4 d poor man in court in dis country. Now go 2 ur village, meet d babalawo, get d stuff frm him, then com bak and do it as d babalawo instructed u. An instant result is ur hope.

1 Like

Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by bestower: 9:31pm On Nov 21, 2012
NBA should take the case up.

1 Like

Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by acidtalk: 9:37pm On Nov 21, 2012
REVOLUTION! REVOLUTION!! REVOLUTION!!!

That's what we need in this godforsaken country.
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by abbeycial: 9:42pm On Nov 21, 2012
a wise one doesnt conclude on a judgement without hearing both parties out.

2 Likes

Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by cyril83(m): 10:05pm On Nov 21, 2012
Arsenal 0 montepellier 0....have u heard? Juve defeated chelsea by 3nil yesterday...wetin conchan me wit naija problem
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by Ikwerefistson: 10:42pm On Nov 21, 2012
k2039: He knows the law,He should sue them for damages
abi damages on d already damagd leg
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by lastpage: 11:12pm On Nov 21, 2012
If the story is as posted (we expect a rebutal from Mr. Chairman but as we all know, "Presidential people" dont have time to discuss or clear their name, they are already "cleared" from above! shocked shocked )

It is very sad, if indeed true!

When a matter is before Court, all discussions/ opinion or deliberation about it are suspended to avoid a situation where one is in CONTEMPT OF COURT!

That is what the Lawyer allegedly pointed out but Mr. Chairman must be oozing with "power" and felt slighted!

"Big Men" dont respect the law, in NAija. Thats a FACT!
But the Court officers themselves are their own worst enemies.
They have turned the court/justice to "cash and carry" and that is why no one (especially the paymasters!) respect them

Lastpage!
Re: Handicapped Lawyer Beaten-up At Presidential Committee Hearing by knockturnal(m): 11:15pm On Nov 21, 2012
Oga barister, the onli handicap u have/had was ur wallet...or should i say bank account. U probally pissd off d 'BIG MAN' wit ur legal grammatical aerobatics! Next time learn to grovel. And by d way, sori n take heart!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

APGA Moves To Recover Okorocha's Mandate Through Court / FG Launchs Solar Hybrid Plants In Four Universities, Fifth In UNIMAID / Some Communities In Aba Enjoy Regular Power, The Rest Should Be Patient — Otti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.