Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,678 members, 7,823,916 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) (1422 Views)

I Am Paying My #20,000 Tithe To Nairalanders Instead Of Jehovah / The Midas Touch- A Balanced Approach To Biblical Prosperity - Kenneth Hagin / Two GB Members Of Jehovah Witnesses Resigns Over Gay Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by Nobody: 2:28pm On Nov 22, 2012
Finally got around to reading G. K. Chesterton's The Everlasting Man. Book's blowing me away. In short, Chesterton just became my new favorite author cheesy The book's philosophy, poetry and comedy rolled into one. I think it'd answer a bunch of the questions raised by apologists of all sides. If you can get it, by all means do. If you can't, . . . sorry sad

An excerpt though smiley

Comparative religion is very comparative indeed. That is, it is so much a matter of degree and distance and difference that it is only comparatively successful when it tries to compare. When we come to look at it closely we find it comparing things that are really quite incomparable. We are accustomed to see a table or catalogue of the world's great religious founders all in a row: Christ; Mahomet; Buddha; Confucius. But in truth this is only a trick; another of these optical illusions by which any objects may be put into a particular relation by shifting to a particular point of sight. Those religions and founders, or rather those whom we choose to lump together as religions and religious founders, do not really show common character. The illusion is partly produced by Islam coming immediately after Christianity in the list; as Islam did come after Christianity and was largely an imitation of Christianity. But the other eastern religions, or what we call religions, not only do not resemble the Church but do not resemble each other. When we come to Confucianism at the end of the list, we come to something in a totally different world of thought. To compare the Christian and Confucian religions is like comparing a theist with an English squire or asking whether a man is a believer in immortality or a hundred-per-cent American. Confucianism may be a civilisation but it is not a religion.

Quote is from pp86-87. My copy is a September 1955 edition, don't know of any later editions.

Obviously, reader discretion is advised. cheesy
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 22, 2012
How is this a valid defense?

It is just p1mping up christianity against other religions
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by Nobody: 2:55pm On Nov 22, 2012
Logicboy03: How is this a valid defense?

Lol. Is his claim wrong?
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by CrazyMan(m): 3:04pm On Nov 22, 2012
Logicboy03: How is this a valid defense?

Isn't christianity higher than other religions?
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 22, 2012
CrazyMan:
Isn't christianity higher than other religions?

Of course, its blood-shedding can not be rivaled
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 22, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Lol. Is his claim wrong?

Yes because he is claiming that something isnt a religion or a real religion without defining what religion realy means
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by tip999: 3:18pm On Nov 22, 2012
Logicboy03, The complexity of the human body alone, the cells , the tissues how all this serves for the growth body alone
will proves there is a divine creator behind all this? It is not a mistake ?
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by Nobody: 4:06pm On Nov 22, 2012
tip999: Logicboy03, The complexity of the human body alone, the cells , the tissues how all this serves for the growth body alone
will proves there is a divine creator behind all this? It is not a mistake ?

All it proves is evolution.
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by OME1(m): 5:31pm On Nov 22, 2012
Logicboy03:

All it proves is evolution.
evolution? So what next do you atheists think the human race is going evolve into? an alien from outer space ? And if evolution is responsible how come it has stopped?
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by Nobody: 6:03pm On Nov 22, 2012
O.M.E:
evolution? So what next do you atheists think the human race is going evolve into? an alien from outer space ? And if evolution is responsible how come it has stopped?

Evolution hasnt stopped.
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by OME1(m): 6:10pm On Nov 22, 2012
Logicboy03:

Evolution hasnt stopped.
hahahaha.. So what are you gonna turn into next..answer me
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by Nobody: 6:12pm On Nov 22, 2012
O.M.E:
hahahaha.. So what are you gonna turn into next..answer me

Why not ask god or a fortune teller to read the future for you?

Science doesnt deal with prophecy. How can one know what will happen in about a 1000 to 100,000 years?
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by InesQor(m): 6:26pm On Nov 22, 2012
@OP

Confucianism is an ideology. Sometimes seen as a religion, other times as a philosophy. It is a humanism that has influenced spiritual and political life in China and neither denies nor demeans heaven, but yet contains spiritual codes of conduct.

Like Jesus, Confucius never established a religion. They both taught ideologies. But after Christ, Christianity arose like a religion, while Confucianism didn't.

Thus I find fault with Chesterton's remark; Jesus and Confucius can actually be listed in comparative study; even if we say Confucianism and Christianity cannot.

2 Likes

Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by OME1(m): 6:26pm On Nov 22, 2012
Logicboy03:

Why not ask god or a fortune teller to read the future for you?

Science doesnt deal with prophecy. How can one know what will happen in about a 1000 to 100,000 years?

hahahha..guess you aren't as logical as your name depicts
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by Nobody: 6:41pm On Nov 22, 2012
O.M.E:

Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by OME1(m): 6:45pm On Nov 22, 2012
Logicboy03:

good to know you have no answer to that question
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by Nobody: 6:53pm On Nov 22, 2012
O.M.E:

Where is the question?

O.M.E:
good to know you have no answer to that question
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by OME1(m): 7:03pm On Nov 22, 2012
Logicboy03:

Where is the question?

don't get it twisted I'l ask again..how come evolution has stopped
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by InesQor(m): 7:06pm On Nov 22, 2012
LOL Logicboy03 you're always bickering grin
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by Nobody: 7:28pm On Nov 22, 2012
O.M.E:
don't get it twisted I'l ask again..how come evolution has stopped

Evolution hasnt stopped. Humans are evolving.

I am tired of educating you. Dont take it as if I cant answer your question but I have lectured so many christians here on evolution.
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by Nobody: 7:28pm On Nov 22, 2012
InesQor: LOL Logicboy03 you're always bickering grin

It is not easy when faced with tiresome questions
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by OME1(m): 7:50pm On Nov 22, 2012
Logicboy03:

Evolution hasnt stopped. Humans are evolving.

I am tired of educating you. Dont take it as if I cant answer your question but I have lectured so many christians here on evolution.

then you have been a bad teacher...I know you can't answer..its all good..case closed
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by Nobody: 8:03pm On Nov 22, 2012
O.M.E:
then you have been a bad teacher...I know you can't answer..its all good..case closed

There you have it! A christian tool unwilling to learn from google about evolution claiming victory!
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by OME1(m): 8:13pm On Nov 22, 2012
Logicboy03:

There you have it! A christian tool unwilling to learn from google about evolution claiming victory!

google?? So haa google vs the word of God..your choice
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by Nobody: 8:14pm On Nov 22, 2012
O.M.E:
google?? So haa google vs the word of God..your choice

Google answers questions....millions of them.

God doesnt answer...
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by OME1(m): 8:18pm On Nov 22, 2012
Logicboy03:

God doesnt answer...
you can't expect God to talk with someone like you..

1 Like

Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by Nobody: 8:22pm On Nov 22, 2012
O.M.E:
you can't expect God to talk with someone like you..

lol....are you berra than me?
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by Nobody: 8:33pm On Nov 22, 2012
InesQor: @OP

Confucianism is an ideology. Sometimes seen as a religion, other times as a philosophy. It is a humanism that has influenced spiritual and political life in China and neither denies nor demeans heaven, but yet contains spiritual codes of conduct.

Like Jesus, Confucius never established a religion. They both taught ideologies. But after Christ, Christianity arose like a religion, while Confucianism didn't.

Thus I find fault with Chesterton's remark; Jesus and Confucius can actually be listed in comparative study; even if we say Confucianism and Christianity cannot.

Will address this later. Quoted for reference.
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by OME1(m): 8:41pm On Nov 22, 2012
Logicboy03:

lol....are you berra than me?
are you asking if there is a difference between an atheist and a christian??...yh sure there is a pretty good difference

1 Like

Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by Nobody: 8:41pm On Nov 22, 2012
O.M.E:
are you asking if there is a difference between an atheist and a christian??...yh sure there is a pretty good difference

Whatever.
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by OME1(m): 9:41pm On Nov 22, 2012
Logicboy03:

Whatever.
yeah whatever... also tired of arguing with you
Re: Ok, Another Approach To The "Defence" Of Jehovah-jesus :) by truthislight: 8:48am On Nov 23, 2012
Logicboy03:

this boy really needs to develop a mind of its own.

You really need to develop a mental capacity of deducting rational independent inferences for yourself that will serve you well based on your personal experience.

Most people that you copy from (around the world) have varied experiences that had influence them in diverse ways tilting their notion to a certain direction that will serve their particular aim/purpose which will on the contrary not serve any useful purpose for your own "particular person" and life.

Copying all you see without "originality" = futility.
Peace

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The First Principles Of The Oracles Of God / A Nairalander Prophesied About Synagogue Church Disaster!. It's Shocking! / White Race More Superior Than Other Races- Watchtower

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.