Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,229 members, 7,818,774 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented (40362 Views)

Overheating – All You Need To Know / 1999 Babyboy Overheating And Consuming Fuel / What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by Toppytee(m): 8:10am On Nov 24, 2012
Is there any relationship btw removing thermostat and fuel consumption? The thermostat of my benz c-class C220 was removed and the fan was connected directly to d ignition I discovered d fuel consumption has gone up. I use around 22litres for 270km. While the temperature go slightly above average while in hold up& d AC is ON.
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by Nobody: 10:06am On Nov 24, 2012
Toppytee: Is there any relationship btw removing thermostat and fuel consumption?

Yes.

Toppytee: The thermostat of my benz c-class C220 was removed and the fan was connected directly to d ignition I discovered d fuel consumption has gone up.

I would advise you get your thermostat refitted, and your fan reverted back to factory spec.

Toppytee: While the temperature go slightly above average while in hold up& d AC is ON.

Please, define "slightly above average"? Bear in mind, the halfway mark is around 90 degree.
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by Emperoh(m): 11:56am On Nov 24, 2012
Toppytee: Is there any relationship btw removing thermostat and fuel consumption? The thermostat of my benz c-class C220 was removed and the fan was connected directly to d ignition I discovered d fuel consumption has gone up. I use around 22litres for 270km. While the temperature go slightly above average while in hold up& d AC is ON.

Read my post in the previous page.
It will help you a lot.
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by Toppytee(m): 1:37pm On Nov 24, 2012
@siena,the average temperature is 80. Am afraid if revert back to factory settings d temperature will go up. But from what ve read from this forum ur advise seems very reliable so I will give it a trial.
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by Nobody: 1:55pm On Nov 24, 2012
Toppytee: @siena,the average temperature is 80. Am afraid if revert back to factory settings d temperature will go up. But from what ve read from this forum ur advise seems very reliable so I will give it a trial.

Anything between 88 - 98 degrees are the norm, depending on the engine type. The upper (red) zone is 120 degrees.

The boiling point of plain water at standard elevation is 100 degrees.
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by justicemek(m): 1:11am On Nov 25, 2012
Please someone help me with the answer to this question. could two worn screw threads on the top cylinder be part of the causes of overheating? I don't know if I put the question properly.
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by Nobody: 1:46am On Nov 25, 2012
justicemek: Please someone help me with the answer to this question. could two worn screw threads on the top cylinder be part of the causes of overheating? I don't know if I put the question properly.

I don't quite understand bro. Could you explain a bit more? Possibly post a picture?
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by ikeyman00(m): 3:15pm On Nov 25, 2012
@@@@

Please someone help me with the answer to this question. could two worn screw threads on the top cylinder be part of the causes of overheating? I don't know if I put the question properly.

well well well

i understand emm it is not always a good idea to scrub the surface of the cylinder head cuz its linings might wear out uneven

so as the case of overheating the screw also stretches so wouldnt grip tight with the gasket

therefore u have a leakage and compression loss

im only going by the common sense thing

still ME
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by ikeyman00(m): 3:16pm On Nov 25, 2012
^^^^ thanks for ur advice sir

god bless u
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by DECOtech(m): 9:56am On Nov 26, 2012
please siena I want to send you a message but can't find your email on ur profile page.
decoent@yahoo.com
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by Nobody: 10:53am On Nov 26, 2012
DECOtech: please siena I want to send you a message but can't find your email on ur profile page.
decoent@yahoo.com

My contact details are in my signature.
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by justicemek(m): 11:05am On Nov 26, 2012
@ Siena...i do not really know how to better... the mechanic opens the bonnet to change the burnt top gasket and complains that 3 screws holes where screws holding the engine together (probably top and bottom cylinders, (forgive my layness))were worn and as such the engine would continue to overheat until the top cylinder (or half engine as they call it) with good screw holes is replaced.
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by Nobody: 12:18pm On Nov 26, 2012
justicemek: @ Siena...i do not really know how to better... the mechanic opens the bonnet to change the burnt top gasket and complains that 3 screws holes where screws holding the engine together (probably top and bottom cylinders, (forgive my layness))were worn and as such the engine would continue to overheat until the top cylinder (or half engine as they call it) with good screw holes is replaced.

I still have no idea what you mean. That's why I think a photograph of the parts in question will help.
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by ikeyman00(m): 12:49pm On Nov 26, 2012
@@@@

@ Siena...i do not really know how to better... the mechanic opens the bonnet to change the burnt top gasket and complains that 3 screws holes where screws holding the engine together (probably top and bottom cylinders, (forgive my layness))were worn and as such the engine would continue to overheat until the top cylinder (or half engine as they call it) with good screw holes is replaced.

interesting! lipsrsealed

i think u might look for another top cylinder or if u can get to ala-igbo they might remould the thread hole for u

pure instinct common sense without picture cool
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by Nobody: 1:05pm On Nov 26, 2012
ikeyman00: @@@@

interesting! lipsrsealed

i think u might look for another top cylinder or if u can get to ala-igbo they might remould the thread hole for u

pure instinct common sense without picture cool

I'm a layman, and need to be clear on things, especially if I don't understand the "Nigerian" interpretation. I can't give advice based upon what I think the poster may be trying to get across, I prefer to be 100% certain, and right now, I'm anything but.
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by ikeyman00(m): 1:23pm On Nov 26, 2012
opps
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by ikeyman00(m): 1:23pm On Nov 26, 2012
^^ok bro siena

no harm

1 love still

still ME!
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by 9icetoo(m): 8:22am On Dec 05, 2012
Serendipity:
If you are savvy mechanically, you won't argue with the fact a car that is stationary has great chances of being overheated. This is manifest on our roads especially in cities that are traffic jam prone.
Your riposte as to stationary and mechanical... is cryptic and obscurantist.
A car can run stationery for 24 hours or more without overheating. They have been designed as such. Your generator at home doesn't boil after 24 hours, does it? Engines that do such have other underlying issues like inefficient radiators or bad thermostats. Like siena pointed out earlier, a radiator loses its efficiency when the exterior is covered in debris and mud. If your fan is turning at its designed rpm and the blades are okay and you have got the required mix of coolant and water n your radiator and your water pump is working effectively, your car can run in a stationery position without overheating.

1 Like

Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by andyzoga: 4:41pm On Jan 20, 2013
Gurus in da house,I drive a 98 Honda Babyboy, the temperature rises immediately in traffic. What I notice is that the water in the radiator reduces while the one in reservoir increases and the fans are blowing normally. What could be wrong,pls?
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by redcliff: 2:03pm On Feb 21, 2013
I noticed my vehicle consumed fuel m than normal and I took it to Iyana-Itire, the home of VW and Audi cars in Lagos i guess. The guy there told me its my CTS (coolant temperature sensor) but over there its called temperature switch. After he changed it and all, well to the best of my knowledge at the point from when i left there to when i got home, i just did a test on it and found that the consumption was quite low and the next day when i took it to work i discovered the temperature needle moved rapidly above 90 and was about going to 110 if i continued in traffic, something it hasnt done before even in the worst of holdups. short and long of it is that i personally took the new temp switch off and put min eback and found that the problem stopped but fuel consumption is still quite high. Any thoughts on that?
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by Ikenna351(m): 2:23pm On Feb 21, 2013
redcliff: I noticed my vehicle consumed fuel m than normal and I took it to Iyana-Itire, the home of VW and Audi cars in Lagos i guess. The guy there told me its my CTS (coolant temperature sensor) but over there its called temperature switch. After he changed it and all, well to the best of my knowledge at the point from when i left there to when i got home, i just did a test on it and found that the consumption was quite low and the next day when i took it to work i discovered the temperature needle moved rapidly above 90 and was about going to 110 if i continued in traffic, something it hasnt done before even in the worst of holdups. short and long of it is that i personally took the new temp switch off and put min eback and found that the problem stopped but fuel consumption is still quite high. Any thoughts on that?

We have temperature switch and CTS. Temperature switch controls the temperature guage on the instrument cluster, while CTS determines the fuel consumption when engine is cold and hot.

So, i think you and your mechanic are mixing things up.

Ikenna.
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by redcliff: 2:32pm On Feb 21, 2013
Ikenna351:

We have temperature switch and CTS. Temperature switch controls the temperature guage on the instrument cluster, while CTS determines the fuel consumption when engine is cold and hot.

So, i think you and your mechanic are mixing things up.

Ikenna.

Oh so they are totally two distinct items? wow!
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by Ikenna351(m): 2:50pm On Feb 21, 2013
redcliff:

Oh so they are totally two distinct items? wow!

It depends on your car wiring system, Temperature switch can also control or trigger on the radiator electric fan(s). While some cars use the CTS as the radiator fans trigger instead. Like i said, it depends on the factory wiring of the car in question.

Ikenna.
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by nelojay: 10:07am On Nov 07, 2013
I would just toss the thermostat. But, if you need the Thermostat....on the side of the gate of the thermostat....there will be a flat brass area. In that area drill a relief hole, if its a narrow area drill 2 , 1/8th inch round holes. WHY?

When the thermostat gate closes it not only stops the water....it also traps air causing a air pocket and then causes it to over heat.
With the modern seals in the water pumps will not allow leaking.....sometime it will allow air to be sucked into the seal area when the car is cold, and then sucked into the impeller and the then motor, causing overheating.

So that is the reason for the needed hole. 25 years ago all American thermostats had relief holes, and this problem never occurred. They were always 160 degree thermostats...where yours is 190 or 225 degrees, the boiling point of water is 212 degrees. Need I say more.

I buy 160 degree thermostats by the bunch and keep them around....especially for Fords in summer and Freeway traffic; which is a motor killer if they use the a/c.

On a the side of the road, for a repair, I use a small length of copper wire hooked around the bridge of the thermostat, and the other end passed thur the seal seat area....so as to hold the valve open just a small bit to relieve air and pressure, and then replace the hose and water with a can.

Most call and just thank me...and let me know the car was fine after that.....and they come around for hoses and other stuff.
I do 25 or 30 a year like that, and if they come around I just stick a 160 thermostat with a relief hole, in the system and don't charge them.... (the 160's cost about a dollar, bulk)

Some mechanics who claim that they have 30 years experience; ...just really do the same thing EACH year....30 times over.
So they really only have 1 or 2 years real time experience. You kinda gotta watch for that.....

Well you had the question...there's your answer.....

Good Luck....Now it is up to you.....tell your friends about your experience with this...and it will start years of knowledge being passed around......it will have a life of its own and help others.
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by nelojay: 10:11am On Nov 07, 2013
In Uganda, like the rest of East Africa, mechanics always remove the engine thermostats when the car first arrives in the country. They call this "tropicalising" the vehicle. And as for coolant, the owner is told, that is only necessary in cold countries - water is good enough.

I recently created a bit of controversy by publishing an article (below) that stated otherwise. I am still defending my argument here as people (including expats) are having difficulty believing an engine needs a thermostat to operate correctly! And that coolant is a necessary rust inhibitor.

Here's the "controversial" article
Every week I see vehicles with either one or both missing. The owner/driver of the vehicle looks at me blankly when I say that they are necessary to maintain the correct running temperature of a vehicle. "But it has been running like this now for ages", they say. "It won't be for much longer", I reply, "and you'll soon have a hefty repair bill to boot". This usually grabs their attention!!

Coolant
Coolant or antifreeze, as it is known in colder climates, is recommended by all vehicle manufacturers. Anyone who has run a vehicle in a cold country knows the importance of antifreeze but why then should we put it in our vehicle in a hot country? The answer is two fold.

Firstly, coolant has a corrosion inhibitor, which does what it says. It prevents the build up of corrosion in the cooling system. I'm sure everyone is aware that if you leave a sheet of steel open to the elements it quickly gets covered with rust. This is exactly what happens to the cooling system of your vehicle if run with water only. Eventually the corrosion will build up until it starts to effect the efficiency of the main parts - i.e. the radiator (replacements cost as much as 1.6 million Ush), the water pump, the thermostat and the hoses.

Secondly, coolant raises the boiling point of the cooling system. Therefore, if part of the system does fail and the engine does start to overheat, less damage will occur as fluid loss by vapour evaporation is kept to a minimum.

Thermostats
On then to thermostats. Too often I hear people and so called mechanics saying that thermostats aren't necessary in a hot climate. A thermostat controls the internal temperature of the engine and keeps that temperature constant. Most engines are designed to run at a temperature of 80 degrees Celsius and above.

I would like any one to name me a country that has a temperature that high!! If you run without a thermostat then parts of the engine will run too cool and this can cause accelerated wear. Also, the engine as a whole, will be running at uneven temperatures and therefore, is susceptible to failures. Especially if the engine is made from dissimilar metals i.e. steel engine block with an aluminium cylinder head. If your thermostat becomes faulty by all means take it out, but make sure another correct one is put in its place.

So, if you're unsure get it checked and put right. In the long run it will be cheaper and more reliable!! Safe and happy motoring.
Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by Ikenna351(m): 10:40am On Nov 07, 2013
@ nelojay, ^^^^

Please, I hope your above posts are not someone's write up that you copied and pasted here without quoting them or providing the sources. So if they are not yours, link the source(s) or you get banned, if I eventually find out. No Plagiarism in Car Talk.

Re: What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented by waniko: 5:36am On Dec 08, 2013
My car c-class overheats with thermostat but my mech advised that I remove it after uninstalling it; the temp remained at 40 degree and I am not comfortable with it. What should I do. Pls

(1) (2) (Reply)

PHOTO: Fully Loaded Cement Truck Spotted Cruising At Lekki With Tyres Missing / 2014 Toyota Land Cruiser Armoured : A Review of Gov. Obiano's Offical Car / The Moment A Guy Surprised His Male Best Friend With A Car Gift (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.