Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,873 members, 7,828,110 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! (13277 Views)

Enyeama, Musa Shortlisted For African Footballer Of The Year Award / Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 / Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by Sagamite(m): 4:23pm On Nov 23, 2012
AjanleKoko:

There is no mediocrity in selecting a player who plays in Africa as the best African player on the planet.
Last year's award was won by Yaya Toure, whose national team didn't win the African Cup of Nations, and his club crashed out of all continental competitions.
In contrast, Oussema Daragi from Esperance, who was selected as the top African player playing on the continent, played and even scored in the FIFA Club World Cup in 2011. His club won a treble in Africa - domestic league in Tunisia, Tunisian Federation Cup, and the Champions League.

Who should such players not be placed side by side with their European counterparts? Just look at this year's selection; it includes Toure again, and Song, who has not won any title either in Europe or with his national side. How is that not mediocrity?

I am not saying if a "local" player is selected, that is automatically mediocrity selection. I am saying, on average, the "local" players are mediocre when compared to foreign-based ones. They are technically unrefined and normally not good enough to attract the attention of top clubs.

If you have a local player that scored over 30 goals in one season or was the heart and soul of his team and won domestic and continental competitions which resulted in interest from abroad to sign for a big club, obviously I would be shocked if that person does not enter the top shortlist for AFoY. But that is a rarity, the European clubs poach the best players early and the best players themselves are quite keen to move asap in their career.

Yaya Toure is a world class player and the engine of one of the biggest clubs in the world. He is technically and mentally astute and plays at the highest level with and against the best in the world, yet he shines more than them, he merited the award. I am not of the camp that only people that are in teams that win something that are good. Messi has never won the WC but IMO is the greatest player ever. Gabriel Batistuta never won the Serie A when he was in Fiorentina, but he was one of the most potent strikers in the World when he was in that club. George Best barely won much competitions in his career but I am sure he is regarded as far better than Gary Neville that won something virtually every year. I judge players by their abilities, level they play at and their influence in their team. That automatically qualifies Yaya and Drogba.

I am not particularly impressed with the list myself, hence my first comment on this thread. It seems the individual quality of african players have gone down if Demba Ba and Andre Ayew are one of our best.
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by Sagamite(m): 4:28pm On Nov 23, 2012
Jarus:
Oh, I just saw Katongo is not on that list. I had presumed he was going to be no 1.
Oh, that doesnt encourage or appreciate national team performance, which CAF as continental body, should encourage. This was a man that was pivotal to Zambia winning the last Nations cup, edgeing along the was Drogba's CIV and Ayew's Ghana. No, this is not right. When I had thought this was a straight fight between Katongo (ANC Champs) and Drogba(UCL champs.

Now, it is all too easy to know Drogba will win this giving the distance between him and these 4 other guys. Song should have given way for Katongo.

If I was to judge by ANC, then Katongo should be there.

But I have to realise that the assessors have to take into consideration the 34 or so other games Katongo would have played in that season, not just the 6 in the ANC.

1 Like

Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by john11769(m): 4:30pm On Nov 23, 2012
The boy will one day become a man. But i did not expect anything different from CAF, they are like FIFA, the moment there have an eye on a player if that player is not completely finished, they will not look elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by SmoothLIFE: 4:32pm On Nov 23, 2012
PROFILE OF top 5 African Player of the Year

Alexander Song

Date of Birth: 09 September 1987

Club: Barcelona (Spain)

Cameroon born international was voted in second place as Arsenal player of the season by the fans. The defensive midfielder had a hand in vital goals scored by Arsenal in 2011-2012 season. Left for Barcelona in August 2012 after 204 appearances and 10 goals for Arsenal. He is a member of the Cameroon national team.

Andre Ayew

Date of Birth: 17 December 1989

Club: Marseille (France)

The Ghanaian winger

played 39 times for his French side Marseille and scored on 16 occasions in 2011- 2012 season. He was part of Black Stars team that reached the semi-finals of the 2012 AFCON finals before finishing fourth overall. Has already scored four goals in 12 matches for his club in the current 2012-2013 season.

Demba Ba

Date of Birth: 25 May 1985

Club: for Newcastle United (England)

The Senegalese striker scored 16 goals in 36 appearances for Newcastle United in the English Premiership. His goals in the qualifiers helped Senegal reach 2012 AFCON finals. Demba Ba was voted the best signing of 2011-2012 season by managers in English Premiership. Finished club top goal-scorer and has so far scored 6 goals in 7 games in the new 2012-2013 season.

Didier Drogba

Date of Birth: 11 March 1978

Club: Shanghai Shenhua (China)

The Ivorian striker had an eventful 2011-2012 season with both club and country. He scored the equalizer and winning penalty to give Chelsea the European Champions League title and missed a penalty in 2012 AFCON final during regulation time. His goals took Ivory Coast into 2012 AFCON finals were they finished up second to Zambia. Scored the winning goal in FA cup final for Chelsea in what became his last season with the English club before he signed for Shanghai Shenhua in China.

Yaya Toure

Date of Birth: 13 May 1983

Club: Manchester City (England)

The Ivorian midfielder and reigning African Footballer of the year had another stellar season in 2011-2012. His box to box runs have become trade-mark for club and country and made Yaya an important player. He scores 9 goals in 43 games for Manchester City and helped the club win the English Premiership title in 44 years. He was voted in the PFA Premier League team of the year 2011- 2012 season. With Ivory Coast Yaya was part of the team that blitzed its way to the 2012 AFCON finals before losing the final on penalties to Zambia. He scored in a 3-0 win over co-hosts Equatorial Guinea in the quarter finals.
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by SmoothLIFE: 4:34pm On Nov 23, 2012
John Mikel Obi's stats so far this year!
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/60503/john-mikel-obi-obi-mikel?cc=5901

Obi has not scored a single goal in the EPL in his whole time there.

Would you not be ashamed to call such a player African player of the year

Best player in Europe: Ronaldo
Best player in South America: Messi
Best player in North/Central America: Chicarito
Best player in Asia: Kagawa

1 Like

Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by mumumugu(m): 4:39pm On Nov 23, 2012
Intrepid!:
Mikel... A midfielder that played over 1,000,000 games last year and didn't bag one goal or one assist. You don't win awards by passing sideways. His inclusion in the original list was unmerited sef.

he had an asist 4 anelka
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by Sagamite(m): 4:39pm On Nov 23, 2012
SmoothLIFE: John Mikel Obi's stats so far this year!
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/60503/john-mikel-obi-obi-mikel?cc=5901

Obi has not scored a single goal in the EPL in his whole time there.

Would you not be ashamed to call such a player African player of the year

Best player in Europe: Ronaldo
Best player in South America: Messi
Best player in North/Central America: Chicarito
Best player in Asia: Kagawa

Scoring goals does not mean shyt to me, if he is the heart beat of the team or a critical component. He is not!

If Makelele was African and voted AFoY when he was at his peak, I would approve despite him not even being capable of scoring a penalty kick with no keeper in goal.
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by SmoothLIFE: 4:56pm On Nov 23, 2012
Sagamite:

Scoring goals does not mean shyt to me, if he is the heart beat of the team or a critical component. He is not!

If Makelele was African and voted AFoY when he was at his peak, I would approve despite him not even being capable of scoring a penalty kick with no keeper in goal.

Well he is simply not good enough to be in the top 5.
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by ddippset(m): 5:27pm On Nov 23, 2012
Akposkool: Ayew n song?i laugh at caf.that moroccan played better dan ayew in france,and he won ligue 1 for lille.if song is there,definitely mikel should be there as well.song played nothing last year when [b]mikel was bossing the midfield against barca and bayern munich.[/b]this caf is bias.demba ba played well till cisse came and stole the show.my final 3 should be,drogba,toure n mikel.
lol @ the bolded.
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by passwordgiver: 6:49pm On Nov 23, 2012
nigeria is a fail state & so everything is fail take it 4me, our leader's are devil they have sold all our right away we are no more good in anything shame! shame!! shame!!! to nigeria,if i may ask why everything is going rong & why are we goin back every day
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by Intrepid1(m): 6:57pm On Nov 23, 2012
mumumugu:

he had an asist 4 anelka

One assist in 19 years. World Footballer of the Year stuff...
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by Nobody: 6:58pm On Nov 23, 2012
salolo: What a pity
cry
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by pek(m): 7:09pm On Nov 23, 2012
We just have to accept the list the way it is. No matter the top five nominated, people will still kick against it. For the Mikel case, he does deserve to be there. No apology to anyone! He is an average player in a big club. Any coach will pick Song ahead of him any day any time. Go to soccernet.com and read the comment on Mikel after the last match with WBA. For Katonga, the award is not based on the six matches of the nations's cup. We are talking about one year period. How many of us know where he plays.
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by Shenez: 7:48pm On Nov 23, 2012
black-Light:
wow..3 ivorians? this shows that ivory coast is the new giant of africa when it comes to football.... well nigeria shall rise again when are develop talented boiz and not boiz that are just in for the money
na 2 nobi 3.
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by Cornel88(m): 8:09pm On Nov 23, 2012
DailyNews: I was expecting Mikel to be on the final list because he has greatly improved, now pushes the game forward and making attempts to score...now I am pissed...sighs angry
How long will he be make attempt to score? Others are scoring. Per Mertesacar of Arsenal scored his 1st premier league go over the weekend while Mikel is attempting to score...
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by judeff: 8:09pm On Nov 23, 2012
Nnamdini: are you kidding me?mikel may have won the champions league but he did so parking the bus with chelsea but song did much better wit goals & assist for arsenal.gues who went to barca?song
if song i̶̲̥̅̊$ dere I tink all African 4 shud b dere..Tiote,mikel Aи̣̣D̶̲̥̅̊ d rest...he went to Barca as what?
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by jarkata(m): 8:35pm On Nov 23, 2012
Song better pass mikel ten times in football control and confidence but mikel is better when it comes to accurate passing
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by AjanleKoko: 9:25pm On Nov 23, 2012
Sagamite:

I am not saying if a "local" player is selected, that is automatically mediocrity selection. I am saying, on average, the "local" players are mediocre when compared to foreign-based ones. They are technically unrefined and normally not good enough to attract the attention of top clubs.

If you have a local player that scored over 30 goals in one season or was the heart and soul of his team and won domestic and continental competitions which resulted in interest from abroad to sign for a big club, obviously I would be shocked if that person does not enter the top shortlist for AFoY. But that is a rarity, the European clubs poach the best players early and the best players themselves are quite keen to move asap in their career.

Yaya Toure is a world class player and the engine of one of the biggest clubs in the world. He is technically and mentally astute and plays at the highest level with and against the best in the world, yet he shines more than them, he merited the award. I am not of the camp that only people that are in teams that win something that are good. Messi has never won the WC but IMO is the greatest player ever. Gabriel Batistuta never won the Serie A when he was in Fiorentina, but he was one of the most potent strikers in the World when he was in that club. George Best barely won much competitions in his career but I am sure he is regarded as far better than Gary Neville that won something virtually every year. I judge players by their abilities, level they play at and their influence in their team. That automatically qualifies Yaya and Drogba.

I am not particularly impressed with the list myself, hence my first comment on this thread. It seems the individual quality of african players have gone down if Demba Ba and Andre Ayew are one of our best.

Take a look at these two lists, and spot the difference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Footballer_of_the_Year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAF_Awards

I'm sure there are lots of Asian players in Europe. Interesting that they don't seem to dominate the honor roll.
My point is, the CAF awards should be a platform to promote local players, and not the other way round.

If Yaya Toure and Drogba are that good, they should be in the running for the Ballon D'Or. Drogba is in the Top 10. He can win the CAF award, but he shouldn't go up against only players playing in Europe. Let him be measured against all African players who have excelled in 2012, regardless of where they are playing. That is how the awards should be structured.

You can't tell me that a player who won virtually all the competitions he played in, in the year under review, be dropped for a player like Song,that didn't win anything, simply because he played for a club on the African continent. It makes no sense.
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by Nobody: 9:52pm On Nov 23, 2012
Sagamite:

You will be surprised you don't have to score to be a good player.

Get better criteria to make your point.
you need all the necessary criteria for you to be qualified for the award and not by passing the ball sideways and backwards. Assist and goals are very important.
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by Nobody: 9:55pm On Nov 23, 2012
Wiz-Prince:
These guys vote anyhow and who they like, if not Mikel Played Very Good More Than Song, Ayew, Demba Ba, even Yaya Toure.... They Must Look Through What They Played Last Season and their Archievements..

ALL THIS THINGS NA PASHIER.... E NO GOOD..
super story
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by abysirius(m): 10:09pm On Nov 23, 2012
niyooah: grin Na wa 4 CAF! Not even one prayer from one of their Major tournament (Nation Cup) No single Zambia player or from the winner of CAF champions league. Invariable they are saying the African league and their own major competition do not have an impact in this award selection. Kudos to they technical team grin[color=#006600][/color]
Zambian wetin? Sey becos dem win cup...I no even know any of their players name sef #lobatan
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by Sagamite(m): 10:15pm On Nov 23, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Take a look at these two lists, and spot the difference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Footballer_of_the_Year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAF_Awards

I'm sure there are lots of Asian players in Europe. Interesting that they don't seem to dominate the honor roll.

I will have to disagree with that. I can count the amount of Asians that play in EPL that comes to my head on the fingers of one hand.

The Asian football powerhouses are Japan, South Korea, Australia, Iran, Saudi Arabia, UAE and China. If you go to Wikipedia and take a look at their national squads you will find that only Japan has a significant number of players playing outside Asia, and even those players are not the highest capped ones and are a minority. Majority of the Japanese players and virtually all of the players of the other powerhouses are home-based. So considering they are the best players of their nation and I do not know of many Asians in European football, I disagree that there are a lot of Asians in European football.

They are mostly homebased and their leagues are good and competitive, that is why majority of the winners can be "local" players.

AjanleKoko:
My point is, the CAF awards should be a platform to promote local players, and not the other way round.

I disagree with this. I am a stickler for merit in everything.

The CAF awards honours the best African footballer in a season. If local players want it, then they should work hard for it, not take favours purely because they are local.

If one qualifies to win and is denied, then I would think it is wrong. I want CAF to name a AFoY and I feel some pride as an African by comparing that player to the best in the world.

Messi vs Drogba/Etoo/Yaya (and I am proud we are not far off)

Messi vs Stanley Okoro (and I will say "what the fck"?)

Local players that want it, in a strong year like yesteryears, because they are playing in weaker leagues against weaker opposition, they will have to do the extraordinary things like Messi and C.Ronaldo do in Europe in their local and continental league to merit the award.

If I see a local player scoring 50 goals in africa or being the player-maker that always makes his team (club and national) win, then I would see no reason why he should not take the award over Etoo or Drogba.

AjanleKoko:
If Yaya Toure and Drogba are that good, they should be in the running for the Ballon D'Or. Drogba is in the Top 10. He can win the CAF award, but he shouldn't go up against only players playing in Europe. Let him be measured against all African players who have excelled in 2012, regardless of where they are playing. That is how the awards should be structured.

You can't tell me that a player who won virtually all the competitions he played in, in the year under review, be dropped for a player like Song,that didn't win anything, simply because he played for a club on the African continent. It makes no sense.

Yaya and Drogba might not be good enough for winning the Ballon D'Or, but they are definitely the best African players to even be considered for running.

I agree they need to be measured against all African players regardless of where the players are playing. Maybe the fact I am not in Nigeria and have no access to see the ACL means I might not be able to spot missing "local names" but I will maintain winning something with your team is not a criteria for me.

As I said, I look at:

1) Abilities
2) Level the player plays at
3) The player's influence in his team

On those criteria, Song is a good candidate based on last season's performance considering the poor ability of African players (especially in Europe). Ayew and Ba are questionable choices on the list.

1 Like

Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by rampantlover: 10:26pm On Nov 23, 2012
Why don't you create your own African Player of the year award and give it to Mikel. Problem solved.

1 Like

Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by Sagamite(m): 10:27pm On Nov 23, 2012
Nashoji: you need all the necessary criteria for you to be qualified for the award and not by passing the ball sideways and backwards. Assist and goals are very important.

Scoring should not be a criteria. It should be a bonus. A criteria should be how good you are at conducting your role.

Mikel is by no means influential enough in a game for me to consider him, neither does he demonstrate exceptional abilities in a game. Ayew over him for last season.
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by Ironi: 12:51am On Nov 24, 2012
Mikel? Why should he be added?

A very average player on any given day. There are too many who would be added before Mikel.
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by pek(m): 6:48am On Nov 24, 2012
Someone asked this question. If Chelsea is playing a match and are losing or drawing, Mikel who is on the bench is warning up to come in, will this inspire you? Your sincere answer shows good Mikel is!
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by Anvaller: 7:03pm On Nov 24, 2012
how can anyone think that Naija go dey there in the 1st place? Sometimes we no dey face reality.
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by mamagee3(f): 9:28pm On Nov 24, 2012
No nigerian player deserves it!!!

I think the award might go to Didier Drogba
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by holtby09(m): 6:00am On Nov 25, 2012
DailyNews: Dede Ayew, Demba Ba, Didier Drogba, Alex Song and Yaya Toure are the final five nominees for the Confederation of African Football's Player of the Year award.

Ivory Coast and Manchester City's Toure won the accolade last year.

Caf initially named 34 players who they were considering for the award before cutting that down to 10 names.

The final nominees were decided by votes from the head coaches and technical directors of the football associations affiliated to Caf.

The 2012 Caf African Footballer of the Year will be crowned at an awards ceremony in the Ghana capital, Accra, on 20 December.

What happened to our own Chelsea Midfielder, John Mikel Obi

BBC Sports.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20463587
DailyNews: Dede Ayew, Demba Ba, Didier Drogba, Alex Song and Yaya Toure are the final five nominees for the Confederation of African Football's Player of the Year award.

Caf initially named 34 players who they were considering for the award before cutting that down to 10 names.

The final nominees were decided by votes from the head coaches and technical directors of the football associations affiliated to Caf.

The 2012 Caf African Footballer of the Year will be crowned at an awards ceremony in the Ghana capital, Accra, on 20 December.

BBC Sports.

BBC Sports.

Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by ladeski: 11:43am On Dec 18, 2012
Red-Light:
wow..3 ivorians? this shows that ivory coast is the new giant of africa when it comes to football.... well nigeria shall rise again when are develop talented boiz and not boiz that are just in for the money
true. This is probably the last chance for the super ivorians to win the AFCON. Talent all over the team.
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by ladeski: 11:48am On Dec 18, 2012
mama-gee:
No nigerian player deserves it!!!

I think the award might go to Didier Drogba

You are right, that's why no Nigerian made the shortlist

Its a shout between Didier Drogba and Yaya Toure. For Drogba's big match play I'd back him to win it. That said Yaya was a beast and vital to Man City winning their first EPL.

Droba for me.
Re: CAF Reveal Final Five For African Footballer Of The Year- Mikel Obi Missing! by Oubyno: 7:28am On Jun 29, 2013
It is very unfortunate the quality of game from african players this year.for me, african players aren't doing very well. Well, I would hv been more disappointed if Mikel made the last 5. Mikel Obi is just an average player, nothing spectacular about his game. He doesn't deserve to be african no 1,atleast not yet.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Claude Puel Appointed As New Manager Of Leicester City / Man Utd's Antony Dropped From Brazil Squad Over Alleged Assault On Ex-gf / Uk Pool Week 37 3/3 Live Draws

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.