Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,467 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford (10102 Views)

Alex Ferguson’s Last Chewed Gum For Sale On E-bay / Alex Ferguson & Ryan Giggs Named Best Manager & Player In EPL History / Manchester United (4) Vs Bayern Munich (4) Live From Old Trafford, 7th April, 7:45pm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by azpeculiar: 4:09pm On Nov 23, 2012

Manchester United unveiled a statue of Sir Alex Ferguson outside Old Trafford at a ceremony attended by the manager's current squad and many of his past greats. The statue depicts Ferguson with his arms crossed in a defiant pose that would intimidate any referee who might dare to refuse his shouts for a penalty or a dozen extra minutes of stoppage time.

From Reuters:

Artist Philip Jackson, who was also responsible for another Old Trafford statue portraying former manager Matt Busby as well as the United Trinity piece featuring Bobby Charlton, George Best and Denis Law, resisted the temptation to capture Ferguson berating a referee, chewing gum or looking at his watch.

"I've tried to portray him as a man of great determination and as a thinking man, but also with humour which he has in abundance, so there's just a slight smile in the corner of his mouth. That's really what I wanted to portray," Jackson said.

Yes, nothing says "humor in abundance" like a slight smirk in the corner of the mouth while the rest of the body shouts "if I was 20 years younger, I would've curbed you already."

At the ceremony, the non-statue version of Alex Ferguson took this opportunity to play his famous mind games with death itself.

"Normally people die before they have a statue. I'm outliving death," he said at the unveiling which drew a crowd of 2,500 to the stadium.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/alex-ferguson-statue-unveiled-outside-old-trafford-wayne-165340670--sow.html
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by azpeculiar: 4:10pm On Nov 23, 2012
As much as I dislike Manchester United, you gotta admire his work and achievements. I say well done Sir. You're trully a legend.

5 Likes

Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by Nobody: 4:54pm On Nov 23, 2012
Match fixer.
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 23, 2012
This is not Sir Alex abeg. They should have hired the people that did the Henry statue at the Emirates.
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by Welder(m): 6:12pm On Nov 23, 2012
I thought the unveiling will be tomorrow just before Man uniteds' match against QPR. I really doubt this is the true statue of my hero.

@Lucenzo,

Which match dd he fix? Sore Loser!

1 Like

Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by legalwealth(m): 10:41pm On Nov 23, 2012
That is nice by the moulders
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by k2039: 10:41pm On Nov 23, 2012
Welder: I thought the unveiling will be tomorrow just before Man uniteds' match against QPR. I really doubt this is the true statue of my hero.

@Lucenzo,

Which match dd he fix? Sore Loser!
Go through the link and you will know it has been unveiled,infact you will see reactions of some of his players

"Normally people die before they have a statue. I'm outliving death," he said at the unveiling which drew a crowd of 2,500 to the stadium.
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by Nobody: 10:42pm On Nov 23, 2012
THE GAFFER

1 Like

Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by Nobody: 10:44pm On Nov 23, 2012
Sir Alex Ferguson is truly an Old Trafford LEGEND.
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by elampiro(m): 10:45pm On Nov 23, 2012
Some more pics from the unveiling. See the rainbow that appeared as his statue was being unveiled, even the sky recongnised his achievements.

Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by RedLight1: 10:45pm On Nov 23, 2012
Statue of alex faggotson at old trashford.. Cool
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by dopeJemi: 10:46pm On Nov 23, 2012
LoveLy

FeeL like crying

Choi! Dis man don try

Hez truly a legend, say otherwise, me n u go get ​A̶̲̥̅̊
♏ hot dis nite
angry

1 Like

Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by laksides: 10:46pm On Nov 23, 2012
I think this ℓ̊§ †ђξ picture of when he first got Man united job
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by Teejayphillip(m): 10:49pm On Nov 23, 2012
Dis statue does luk lik My coach own...

Shey eyez dey pain d pple wey mode Am ni?

Later now,nah Africa pple we go dey abuse..
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by olivertwist: 10:49pm On Nov 23, 2012
Arsenal unveiled Arsene Wenger's statue last year.

Man Utd unveils Sir Alex Ferguson

Chelsea next to unveil

grin grin grin
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by Nobody: 10:49pm On Nov 23, 2012
Manchester United Hater Arsenal fan here-

Even though I'm an arsenal fan, it isgreat to see a great coach immortalized!

(Sha, make una lose to QPR on the weekend)
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by goddyjay(m): 10:49pm On Nov 23, 2012
49 TROPHIES NO BE SMALL THING O wink wink wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by surveyProf(m): 10:51pm On Nov 23, 2012
This is absolutely wack statue of Alex F.....lol grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by Goldieluks: 10:56pm On Nov 23, 2012
A well deserved honor. You are the greatest Sir AF, and a Legend.
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by Nobody: 10:56pm On Nov 23, 2012
Na to begin worship am remain. He'll probably die in active service as Man U manager, so I reckon the process of deification has started in earnest.
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by elampiro(m): 10:57pm On Nov 23, 2012
Sir Alex Ferguson is a true legend. Look at his outstanding report card while he was the manager of Aberdeen. He pushed Celtic and Rangers to the background. He won the Eufa cup with such a small team. Go to link for his full career report.

In June 1978, when he joined the Aberdeen Football Club (FC), he was younger than a few senior players of the team. Sir Alex Ferguson earned the respect and trust of his team players only after the Dons won 5-0 against the opponent team on the final day of the Scottish league that season (1979-80). Being a strict disciplinarian with brilliant managerial skills, he helped the Dons’ to become the runner-up of the Scottish League Cup in 2 seasons, 1978-80, and clinch the Scottish Premier Division title (1979-80). The outstanding team-building talent of Sir Alex Ferguson helped the Dons’ team to take the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) Cup Winners’ Cup in 1982-83 and secure the UEFA Super Cup in 1983-84. With his guidance, the Aberdeen FC bagged the Scottish Football Association (SFA) Cup for 3 consecutive seasons, 1981-84 and also during 1985-86. After his efficient training, the Dons’ performed well to fetch the Scottish Premier Division titles for 2 consecutive seasons, 1983-85 and the Scottish League Cup in 1985-86. http://www.siralexferguson.net/

1 Like

Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by morgist(m): 11:02pm On Nov 23, 2012
mtwwwwwwwwwwwww
why did i even open this angry
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by Xplicitonu: 11:04pm On Nov 23, 2012
Congratulations 2 d best coach in d world. Abeg bad belle ppl tell me any coach dat has produce other coaches lik ferguson?

3 Likes

Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by Goldieluks: 11:05pm On Nov 23, 2012
pro01: Na to begin worship am remain. He'll probably die in active service as Man U manager, so I reckon the process of deification has started in earnest.

jealous mind.
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by cold(m): 11:07pm On Nov 23, 2012
I'm not as Man U fan but i've got to give it to Sir Fergie.The geezer sure knows his onions with a little help from the FA & refs though

1 Like

Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by jhydebaba(m): 11:07pm On Nov 23, 2012
Atleast den for allow the man die first before den unveil him statue. SAF no go fit concentrate again, na statue he go dey look up n down.
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by Iaz93: 11:12pm On Nov 23, 2012
Chelsea can't even boast of one outstanding coach...SMH.. Na to dey sack and employ...
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by Goldieluks: 11:13pm On Nov 23, 2012
Iaz93: Chelsea can't even boast of one outstanding coach...SMH.. Na to dey sack and employ...
grin
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by RedLight1: 11:14pm On Nov 23, 2012
olivertwist: Arsenal unveiled Arsene Wenger's statue last year.

Man Utd unveils Sir Alex Ferguson

Chelsea next to unveil

grin grin grin
roman abrahmovic
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by IYANGBALI: 11:18pm On Nov 23, 2012
Red-Light:
Statue of alex faggotson at old trashford.. Cool
same would be said and written about you if you ever live to be as old as the legend Ferguson
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by delors(m): 11:20pm On Nov 23, 2012
undecidedThat statue resemble Roman Abra somehow...i dey suspect sonthing for here...
1. Glassese no dey
2. chewing gum no dey
In fact, na Roman Abra's statue be this one...I swear down cheesy
Re: Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford by IYANGBALI: 11:21pm On Nov 23, 2012
jhydebaba: Atleast den for allow the man die first before den unveil him statue. SAF no go fit concentrate again, na statue he go dey look up n down.
the mind of a typical african man always waiting for people to die before recognising them

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Manchester City Vs Leeds (2 - 0) On 6th May 2023 / Newcastle Vs Arsenal (0 - 2) On 2nd May 2021 / Atalanta Vs Manchester City: UCL (1 - 1) On 6th November 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.