Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,607 members, 7,827,288 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan (17987 Views)

Hilarious Photo All The Way From The City Of Warri / FG Sites Green City Project In The City Of Onitsha / Tell Us About The City Where You Live (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Egbagirl(f): 12:58am On Nov 26, 2012
shadrach77:
i attended all saints college, jericho - it used to be known as all saints church school back in the dayz - so what's the catch?

hahahahhahaha that musta been a long time ago cause there is the primary school and the college too. I went to All Saints Church School too. smiley The College was at Onireke. I think it was founded 2000/2001. not too sure
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Nobody: 1:32am On Nov 26, 2012
Yeah I attended ASCOL (finished n 2004)...d church school s d primary while ASCOL started at jericho in 1997 and moved to oniireke and now at Apata...yeah back to d ibadan gist...when u go to d prestigous UI...check out d mosque n chapel...wish u cud enjoy d history of dose two buildings..and why d land btw dem is called d "no man's land" ..wow...also check out the UI botanical garden...now dats d best place to visit mother nature for a quiet moment with nature...check d UI zoo for dat crazy orangutang dat eats its semen (how irritatng)n, also try to scare d lons and enjoy dia reactons...out of UI, take a 30mnutes ride to d OLD OYO EMPIRE...palace of d Alaafin of Oyo and enjoy cultural reminiscence of d yoruba race...hey back to Ibadan, go check bowers towers for d hstory of our slave trade et al. For real fun, yeah we av d clubs people av mentioned,but if u ar lookin for crazy house structures,people forgot to menton d man place...iyaganku quaters...dats where most ex govs reside. Hey dd. Remember to say check Universty College Hospital environs...yeah dats d most sophsticated,largets and oldest health instituton in west afrca...bt durng all vistatons,pls b warned, der is OPERATION BURST , a team of police n soldier patrol vans dat stop to beat people ndecently dressed on d roads...no saggng,no indecent body exposures, etc ..
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by teetee123: 1:51am On Nov 26, 2012
moredendisc:

@fittty

@Adesiji77

grin grin Zoo? zoo?

fittty's zoo recommendation would have been OK but University of Ibadan zoo is past its prime, it is a shadow of itself;

No more gorilla, no more crocodiles, no more lions etc

Don't waste your time and entry money visiting the zoo

Adesiji77, the only think you'll remember about the zoo after leaving, will be the midges that bit you when you were there

Ibadan is a lackadaisical city and sadly hasn't like Lagos got a galleria, mega plaza, The Palms etc

Ibadan is usually quiet by 7 - 9 pm, you can check out amala joints etc though

It is sad how people just sit down in their room and write wrong things as facts. When was the last time you visited UI zoo?
Please stop giving wrong information about Ibadan. The zoo was renovated few months ago. The lion and other animals are still there.

Places of Interest
1. Moving round the UI campus which includes the zoo
2. Mapo hall
3. Olubadan palace
4. Bower hill
5. Agodi botanical garden, behind secretariat
6. National museum, aleshinloye
7. Cocoa House and Kokodome
8. Ibadan Poly
9. Drive round Alalubosa, Bodija, Oluyole, Ring Road areas
10. Visit Mokola hill at night for fun fare( must be careful)
11. Jogor centre for a show
12. Many clubs like Option 24 for nite crawlers
13. Lead City Univ
14. Visit research centres like IITA,NISER,NIHORT -they look like places out of this country
15. Many Amala joints.
16.UCH. - if u do not have hospital phobia

When you visit the palace, national museum they will tell u some other places of interest.

Take care.
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by coalcoal1(m): 4:10am On Nov 26, 2012
teetee123:

It is sad how people just sit down in their room and write wrong things as facts. When was the last time you visited UI zoo?
Please stop giving wrong information about Ibadan. The zoo was renovated few months ago. The lion and other animals are still there.

Places of Interest
1. Moving round the UI campus which includes the zoo
2. Mapo hall
3. Olubadan palace
4. Bower hill
5. Agodi botanical garden, behind secretariat
6. National museum, aleshinloye
7. Cocoa House and Kokodome
8. Ibadan Poly
9. Drive round Alalubosa, Bodija, Oluyole, Ring Road areas
10. Visit Mokola hill at night for fun fare( must be careful)
11. Jogor centre for a show
12. Many clubs like Option 24 for nite crawlers
13. Lead City Univ
14. Visit research centres like IITA,NISER,NIHORT -they look like places out of this country
15. Many Amala joints.
16.UCH. - if u do not have hospital phobia

When you visit the palace, national museum they will tell u some other places of interest.

Take care.

thanks for this update. You have really highlighted a lot of places. But then, I am yet to see places that are family oriented in Ibadan that you can go with your family and relax. I have noticed this trend in Ibadan, that in the last two years, Pubs and Clubs are just springing up anyhow. Then, it used to be Options 24/7, Cottons and Cocodome with a few other joints but now they are so many. I can list some that opened in the last 2 years like:
Olympus around Secretariat, Agodi (now closed down)
Ebevande at Ring Road
Bubbles at Ring Road
There is one at Femi Johnson building (I can't remember the name of that one now) and so many others.
Even, there is a new one along Awolowo Road, Bodija between 411 and Platinum.
There are a few strip joints also springing up in Ibadan (pls, don't ask me to name them and their locations).

Now, there is really no where that is family oriented except you want to take your kids out to fun factory at Oshuntokun Bodija. Trans Amusement Park is almost dead (if not dead already). There is only one place I watch films now in Ibadan and it is once in a month (precisely the last friday of every month). There is a church that is built like a theatre (I can't remember the name right now) very close to Premier Hotel. I take my family there once a month to watch a film. It is time someone/investors begin to think of family oriented places.

In all, Ibadan is relatively calm and cheap to live in but it is a 'slow' town. Even the hotels are not too expensive compared with the value of hotels in Lagos. When I remember more, I will post later.
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Nobody: 8:23am On Nov 26, 2012
moredendisc:

@fittty

@Adesiji77

grin grin Zoo? zoo?

fittty's zoo recommendation would have been OK but University of Ibadan zoo is past its prime, it is a shadow of itself;

Adesiji77, the only think you'll remember about the zoo after leaving, will be the midges that bit you when you were there

Ibadan is a lackadaisical city and sadly hasn't like Lagos got a galleria, mega plaza, The Palms etc

there are about 10 lions, several monkeys, 1 ostrich, 2 ostrich like birds, feathers look like hut roof, 1 giraffe called ajoke, 2 gazelles, some hyenas, many crocodiles, many snakes, many monitor lizards, some turtles, some tortoises. it was recently handed over to a private firm to manage, so i guess things will get better now
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Odelola01(m): 9:09am On Nov 26, 2012
IB is a place to be, the environs is cool, great people, good hospitality. Place of attraction; UI, Dugbe, old/new Bodija market. UI Zoo. Nice stay at IB.
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by deols(f): 9:56am On Nov 26, 2012
moredendisc:

@fittty

@Adesiji77

grin grin Zoo? zoo?

the zoo was pretty filled the last time I was there. But last yr I heard the news of flooding which swept away the animals. Apart from that, u can be sure UI zoo is a place to be.

Another place many pple dont know of is the Agodi gardens. The last time I was there, it was better than the UI zoo. The Ladoja administration worked on that. See UI and see Agodi and u'd appreciate the world of the lower animals.
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by deols(f): 10:05am On Nov 26, 2012
Ibadan has tourism potentials if only the government would look into it.

the ancient houses of Ibadan like the Ibikunle house are things to see. U'd be amazed at the architectural designs. there is even a Yoruba proverb that points to how grand the house is..

The exotic cuisines as mentioned are just what make Ibadan special.

The bower's tower. I haven't been there and feel cheated. I heard you could see the whole of Ibadan from there.

A cool drive around the mokola hills, you should look up to especially when it takes you from premier hotel to the cultural centre.
Premier might not be the best place to lodge in but has the name 'first in Africa'.

Check out the secretariat too and drive towards the government house.
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Adesiji77: 10:10am On Nov 26, 2012
@deols...thanks, where exactly is this Bowers Tower? My host, who is an Ib resident, does not know the place. He also mentioned Oke-Are
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by aryzgreat: 10:38am On Nov 26, 2012
Enjoy ur Ibadan

4 Likes

Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Adesiji77: 10:44am On Nov 26, 2012
@aryzgreat...This pix is beautiful. Where did u take it?
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Freeopod(m): 10:53am On Nov 26, 2012
Egba girl: OP, dont expect too much from IB. It's not like Lagos but it's cool as long as you have the right people around you. Old/New Bodija is one of the best places to stay and Jericho/Idishin side too. Check out the zoo in UI, the food at Spcies too (UI), Cultural Center Oh and um this joint, Ina straight too around cultural center. The Iyan and egusi is really good. Other people have mentioned the hangout joints: 411, dome etc.

Just drive around and explore. You never know what joint is hidden in a some neighbourhood that many people dont know about it. There are several of those in New Bodija and Old Bodija too that are very nice.

Foodco at Jericho is way better than the one at Old Bodija. O.Bdj is small, overstocked and messy but if it functions though. The foodco fast food isnt bad either. I prefer that to Tantilizers and Bigs
Wao! Egbagirl dts knows Ibadan more than egba, are u based in iB?
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Nobody: 11:07am On Nov 26, 2012
Adesiji77: @aryzgreat...This pix is beautiful. Where did u take it?
Unfortunately, the guy is trying to mock Ibadan with that picture.
See, the thing is, Ibadan isn't exactly a tourist attraction center, if you're into boozing and everything you can have that but looking for things to hold in awe, you might not find it. But if you're interested in history and culture, you might just enjoy IB.
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by mayrho(m): 2:06pm On Nov 26, 2012
UI Zoo makes sense more animals than before as opposed to sm1s opinion lions and other animals its undergoing renovation with donations from different people if want a place to just hang out read a novel or just listen to music and far from mad crowd Botanical garden wont be a bad idea
Pizza booze and lots more - Pancho vino
Bower's(not sure of the spelling) tower highest vantage point in ibadan
Agodi gardens too not bad a few animals at my last visit but if u love nature u will like it dia
a few of the places u can visit
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Egbagirl(f): 3:10pm On Nov 26, 2012
Freeopod:
Wao! Egbagirl dts knows Ibadan more than egba, are u based in iB?

I'm from Abeokuta but I grew up in IB. lol. So yea I guess I am Omobadan.
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Egbagirl(f): 3:10pm On Nov 26, 2012
Adesiji77: @aryzgreat...This pix is beautiful. Where did u take it?

When you go, make sure you take pics o! Come back and tell us about it. lol
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by marychizo: 3:25pm On Nov 26, 2012
If you are a Christian or Muslim, you can experience God and enjoy doing that on Sunday by coming to Vine Branch Church on these days; there is going to be a lot of fun this festive period, you will be happy you did

Sunday 9th Dec. by 9am, is going to be a casual Sunday, dress in your casual to church, you will enjoy serving God
Saturday 15th Dec.. Suya nite by 3pm (it is an avenue of soul winning in a relax environment)
Sunday 16th Dec. Thanksgiving day by 9am (Come and thank God for how far He has helped you through the year)
Sunday 16th Dec. Carol nite(200 trumpetant will be on ground to lift up the name of the Lord)

Please give it a try and you will glad and will not want to go back to Lagos
You can enjoy serving God in that environment

God Bless you as you come.
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by Alldruns: 4:43pm On Nov 26, 2012
Tho' may nt b attractive bt stil part itinerary: 'laipo' areas. D likes of foko, akuro, apete, atipe, agbeni, agugu, beere, oje, orita meta, orita merin, orita mefa, etc atleast d core modern areas to see ancient buildings wt 'brownish' roofing sheets.
Re: Vacationing In The City Of Ibadan by deols(f): 6:26pm On Nov 26, 2012
Adesiji77: @deols...thanks, where exactly is this Bowers Tower? My host, who is an Ib resident, does not know the place. He also mentioned Oke-Are

I dont know o.

Josh090:
Unfortunately, the guy is trying to mock Ibadan with that picture.
See, the thing is, Ibadan isn't exactly a tourist attraction center, if you're into boozing and everything you can have that but looking for things to hold in awe, you might not find it. But if you're interested in history and culture, you might just enjoy IB.

If he is trying to mock, he is really not trying. If you get to some hilly areas in Ibadan, u'd see these brown roofs but u'd av an appreciation of nature. I find those areas fascinating actually. only a non-adventurous individual wldnt like to see them.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Welcome To The Biggest Zoo And Seaworld In Lagos / Police Helicopter Crashes In Bauchi: AIB Opens Investigation / Nigerian Lone Survivor Of Fatal Auto Crash, Shares Testimony, 3 Years Later

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.