Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,049 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? (3667 Views)

Obama Sends Samantha Power To Nigeria Over Boko Haram Growing Threat / Jonathan Lacked Will Power To Fight Corruption – Edwin Clark / Boko Haram Plans To Use Mechanics, Car Wash Centers To Plant Bombs In Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by Blackteeth(m): 11:18am On Nov 25, 2012
If Nigeria is bad because our leaders are bad then it means the masses are bad because the bad leaders came from the bad masses.
If we must have good leaders it means the masses should be made good first. Then good leaders will emerge from the good masses afterwards.
The churches and mosques has the bulk of the responsibility to influence the masses to be good. But it seems they are not passing the right message across. We can image the 95% of Nigerian listening ears that the churches and mosques controls. Why is this not an opportunity to send the right message across to influence the masses for good from which good leaders will emerge from?
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by 234GT(m): 12:38pm On Nov 25, 2012
Religious centers cannont change nigeria. They are actually one nigeria's problems, especially churches. I am a christian, so dont think I am attacking christianity. A lot of churches preach concepts that make their members look for money at all cost. I listen to islamic sermons on radio too, and I must confess that, while they are not 100% good, they are fairly better than christian sermons.

4 Likes

Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by Blackteeth(m): 2:53pm On Nov 25, 2012
234GT: Religious centers cannont change nigeria. They are actually one nigeria's problems, especially churches. I am a christian, so dont think I am attacking christianity. A lot of churches preach concepts that make their members look for money at all cost. I listen to islamic sermons on radio too, and I must confess that, while they are not 100% good, they are fairly better than christian sermons.

The point am trying to make is that if these churches and mosques start preaching the right thing they would probably make a difference in Nigeria's situation. Our leaders and the future leaders go to churches and mosques and that's an opportunity to talk sense to their heads. But the message the imams, pastors and priests disseminate will never be on target.

1 Like

Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by kunlekunle: 4:51pm On Nov 25, 2012
since you cant reason with them, you cant change a thing.
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:41am On Nov 26, 2012
Impossible.

Christianity and islam are part of Nigeria's problems. Churches and mosques can never be a solution. Never.
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 1:41am On Nov 26, 2012
It's not a church that makes people, but the people that makes a church. If your pastor willing accept tights and offering from a "KNOWN THIEF", YET, you think the preaching of the pastor will change the thief, right? The church cannot change people or Nigeria, but the people of the church, through their word, can influence other which can cause a chain reaction leading to sequence of event(s) that may cause changes. Question is, are we really ready to tell ourselves the truth?

1 Like

Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:52am On Nov 26, 2012
Blackteeth: If Nigeria is bad because our leaders are bad then it means the masses are bad because the bad leaders came from the bad masses.
If we must have good leaders it means the masses should be made good first. Then good leaders will emerge from the good masses afterwards.
The churches and mosques has the bulk of the responsibility to influence the masses to be good. But it seems they are not passing the right message across. We can image the 95% of Nigerian listening ears that the churches and mosques controls. Why is this not an opportunity to send the right message across to influence the masses for good from which good leaders will emerge from?

It is good of you to bring this up. Religious organisations cannot change Nigeria but they can play their own part in delivering the needed change. The emphasis most times is on getting wealth without specifying the fact that not all wealth is from God.

I will want to see more men of God preach against corruption! I will like to see Men of God question and reject some tithes. I will want to see more men of God preach humility and being your brother's keeper.

Don't get me wrong, wealth is good and wealth is of God, but the complete message is more than that and some wealth may not be of God too. We need a more rounded message from our MOGs
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by free2ryhme: 2:03am On Nov 26, 2012
it is only Jesus than can change this country !
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by Krucifax(m): 2:07am On Nov 26, 2012
Blackteeth: If Nigeria is bad because our leaders are bad then it means the masses are bad because the bad leaders came from the bad masses.

The answer is NO! As a previous poster said Churches and Mosques sometimes are the problem. You have fraudsters on one hand preaching "Prosperity doctrines" on the other hand you have sadist extremist preaching "Intolerance and religious cleansing" !
The main Nigerian problem is "Wickedness" at all levels.

Leaders will steal public funds.
Mobs will lynch and burn crime suspects.
Villagers will kill kin over land.
Neighbors will plot kidnap of neighbors.
Bus drivers will triple fares without just cause.
Police officers will kill members of public at slightest provocation.
Ritual killers,cannibals,grave robbers,armed robbers,cultists.
Tyrannical state governors will deport their fellow Nigerians.
Muslims will burn churches and kill Christians and Christians will return the favour.
Wife will cut husbands penis,boyfriend will acid bath girlfriend.

In truth some of these atrocities are not the sole preserve of Nigeria,but a large amount of it happens in Nigeria on a daily basis. The truth is this there is pure evil in the Naija DNA! Whilst there are millions of good Nigerians there are many many evil ones!
There are many societies and countries that do not have the number of churches and mosques Nigeria has,indeed they could even be said to be a bit nonreligious,yet you do not witness the barbaric crimes and inhuman atrocities that take place in Nigeria in their countries. This can only give one logical conclusion,morals are not necessarily learned in places of worship. They are a human thing can come with social development,and that is something many of our people seem to lack!

4 Likes

Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by tomakint: 2:15am On Nov 26, 2012
Definitely it's a YES from me, real men of God act as seers for a country (the Bible gave many instances in the book of Kings)! They sound the note of warning and if heeded can lead to economic prosperity, a typical example in our contemporary time was the story of Paul (now David) Yonggi Cho from South Korea who through prayers and fastings changed the economic status of the country for better! I confirmed from few men of God while listening to their sermons. So, it's possible in Nigeria!
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by sambos994(m): 2:19am On Nov 26, 2012
We Nigerians have to step up. The lord will help us.....note that I said "help". We can't be sitting down praying to god and do nothing.

2 Likes

Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:23am On Nov 26, 2012
It is funny how people are saying that Jesus can save Nigeria.

Questions people fail to ask themselves is how christianity came to Nigeria?

Where was Jesus for 1,400 years before the Portuguese and British came.
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by Parnassuss(m): 3:21am On Nov 26, 2012
tomakint: Definitely it's a YES from me, real men of God act as seers for a country (the Bible gave many instances in the book of Kings)! They sound the note of warning and if heeded can lead to economic prosperity, a typical example in our contemporary time was the story of Paul (now David) Yonggi Cho from South Korea who through prayers and fastings changed the economic status of the country for better! I confirmed from few men of God while listening to their sermons. So, it's possible in Nigeria!

What the fuc did u smoke? This guy changed the economic status of his country through prayer and fasting? God told you that I suppose...facken hell!

I don't know what to say, you guys should hear my Priest preach, that man is the most intelligent, honest, wise and kindhearted human alive. Always calling for non-violent retaliation, end to stealing and love between neighbours. But the fact that he doesn't follow me or the rest of congregation home and to the office kinda limits his influence on our consciences, cos you know you only feel guilty when in church. So nope, religion cannot change Nigeria. In truth religion benefits from Nigeria's corruption, my priest is one in a million I kknow
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by Techwriter: 3:48am On Nov 26, 2012
I don't know about mosque's power to transform, but history has proven that the greatest powerhouse of change in any nation is the church. The church increased the influence of Rome over the entire world that that Nation ruled the world in so many areas. Then Christianity blossomed in Europe through the works of Martin Luther and others. before long Europe ruled the world that Great was once refered to as an empire that the sun never sets. It is remarkable to note that the industrial revolution rode on what is today called the protestant civilization.

Then the New World(America) was born by the church and most of their constitution was built from the Bible and the principle of biblical grace and freedom contributed to shaping their democracy. In a few century, this nation became the most powerful nation on earth. It is worthy of note that in Rome and Europe, immediately there was a decline on church influence the nations power deteriorated.

Now the church is God's institution to change a nation. The problem is that Nigerians like most Africans approached Christianity like their tradition religeon where they go to see natibe doctos for solution to problems. So people fill churches not for God to transform their thoughts and minds; not because they are hungry for God but because they are looking for magic answers to their marital and financial challenges. The day we get church right, Nigeria will lead the world read my lips

NB: if there were no church at all Nigeria would have been worse
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by Augustinaz(m): 4:29am On Nov 26, 2012
The Answer is NO

Doggytation

Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by SisiKill1: 4:35am On Nov 26, 2012
With the influence they have with the major decision makers. . .they can do anything but why should they? What is in it for them?

If they called for quality health care....who will come to their healing services?

If they insist on better Roads. ...it will put a dent in the thanksgiving offering for journey mercies.

If unemployment is low....which parishioner will "seed" their labor to help build the schools and bakeries and gas station.

If there's constant electricity, people's businesses won't fail, if they don't fail....the church doesn't get cheap labor.

The current status quo works for them. . . why on earth would they wanna change it?
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by OYINBOGOJU(m): 4:38am On Nov 26, 2012
Are the church leaders different from Politicians?

NO

So I don't think they are morally equiped to change anything.

The church leaders and imam live larger than politians if you must know.

Through Jesus Christ our Lord
Amen Amen Amen
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by OYINBOGOJU(m): 4:39am On Nov 26, 2012
Politians lie through the constitution
Church leaders lie through the bible

Only God knows the saints.

2 Likes

Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by Shenez: 5:09am On Nov 26, 2012
Logicboy03: Impossible.

Christianity and islam are part of Nigeria's problems. Churches and mosques can never be a solution. Never.

on point! The case of norther part of the country speak it all.
A country that witness Religious crisis can never know peace. Until we unite the problem goes on!
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by danikik7: 5:15am On Nov 26, 2012
How can they institute change when alot of them are worse than the political vampires preying on their congregations.
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by Parnassuss(m): 5:49am On Nov 26, 2012
Techwriter: I don't know about mosque's power to transform, but history has proven that the greatest powerhouse of change in any nation is the church. The church increased the influence of Rome over the entire world that that Nation ruled the world in so many areas. Then Christianity blossomed in Europe through the works of Martin Luther and others. before long Europe ruled the world that Great was once refered to as an empire that the sun never sets. It is remarkable to note that the industrial revolution rode on what is today called the protestant civilization.

Then the New World(America) was born by the church and most of their constitution was built from the Bible and the principle of biblical grace and freedom contributed to shaping their democracy. In a few century, this nation became the most powerful nation on earth. It is worthy of note that in Rome and Europe, immediately there was a decline on church influence the nations power deteriorated.

Now the church is God's institution to change a nation. The problem is that Nigerians like most Africans approached Christianity like their tradition religeon where they go to see natibe doctos for solution to problems. So people fill churches not for God to transform their thoughts and minds; not because they are hungry for God but because they are looking for magic answers to their marital and financial challenges. The day we get church right, Nigeria will lead the world read my lips

NB: if there were no church at all Nigeria would have been worse

The dark ages was caused and sustained by the church and religion in general. Oliver Cromwell and Cesar Borgia where near perfect depictions of just what the church caused in its darkest hours. Nigeria as an entity might not have existed without the church but that would not have been such a bad thing judging by whaat we have on the tables today. Religion has screwed us over badly.
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by Biola4u(m): 6:00am On Nov 26, 2012
From the topic, religious centers mean place of worship. Why is everyone talkin about church and mosque ? What happened to shrine !? And if you don't know, most people in the position to change this country visit shrines. If the topic had been "Do Shrine have the power to change Nigeria for good ?" Then YES would have been my answer. Cos this people believe in shrines more than churches and mosque.
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by ba7man(m): 6:12am On Nov 26, 2012
A man once said that in the 70's, the only sermon that was preached in Churches was "Give your life to Christ, the end is commin soon!!!". But now there's so much information extracted from the bible, relationships, money matters, motivation, spiritual knowledge, teaching people to liberate their minds and belive. YES!!!...they have the power to change this country....If only people that attend would stop sleepin or showing off in Church and listen deeply with their hearts to what is being taught.

1 Like

Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by bknight: 6:14am On Nov 26, 2012
In my own opinion, I'd say yes.

Let us look at it this way: people listen religiously to their pastors & imams. If a psator told his congregation that none of them travels in d coming week to avert some evil, I bet no member will travel (out of fear, respect or...whatever!)
Peole will do whatever exactly their religious leaders ask them to, and will desist from what they r told to. Religion is the opium of the masses.

But the fact that nigerian pastors themselves are after money, their corrupt minds wont let them stannd up on d pulpit and rebuke corrupt practices.
If they can speak out loud against corruption not minding whose ox gets gored, then we might just be on d very right path.
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by Godmann(m): 6:31am On Nov 26, 2012
Churches can never change Nigeria. It's only Nigerians that can change Nigeria. On my way to work. will do a write up on this interesting topic later
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by ba7man(m): 6:43am On Nov 26, 2012
Godman_n: Churches can never change Nigeria. It's only Nigerians that can change Nigeria. On my way to work. will do a write up on this interesting topic later
The people that attend these Churches are Nigerians. Churches are supposed to provide a Moral foundation for individuals but we choose to dwell on the mundane things. Who shouts d loudest "Amen", who drops the most offering, who gets to sit in front, who's closest to the Pastor, Pastors are now so rich b'cos people want to pay for blessings and they ignore spiritual development. Churches aren't the problem in this country...its the people within that are.
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by rodeo0070(m): 6:56am On Nov 26, 2012
Religion exerts a lot of influence in a society, be it positively and negatively. I, for one don't like the concept of religion in this country, 'cos they offer "hopeless hope" to people and situations.
Imagine during the fuel subsidy protest earlier this year, 98% of religious leaders(especially the Church) did or said nothing. This flood era says a lot about our religious body.
They are used as tool by Politicians to further their cause, little or no humanitarian assistance to the less privilege/downtrodden etc.
Religion is obviously one of the top factors causing problems in Nigeria.
IF THE CITIZEN OF THIS COUNTRY WANTS A CHANGE, THEN THEY SHOULD LOOK BEYOND THE CONCEPT "NAIJA RELIGION". REVOLUTION!!!, I SAY, REVOLUTION IS THE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM OF NIGERIA AND RELIGION IS ONE OF THE LEADING FACTORS STANDING IN ITS WAY...

1 Like

Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:06am On Nov 26, 2012
Religious Centers has a part to play in changing Nigeria but it won't start with them. Changing Nigeria has to start with the Armed Forces and Judiciary, if those 2 arms of government are corrupt free be very sure that Nigeria will change for better for Good
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:12am On Nov 26, 2012
Blackteeth:
The point am trying to make is that if these churches and mosques start preaching the right thing they would probably make a difference in Nigeria's situation. Our leaders and the future leaders go to churches and mosques and that's an opportunity to talk sense to their heads. But the message the imams, pastors and priests disseminate will never be on target.

But the preachers go back to the leaders' home for money.......how do u change the leaders? Because you know that the money isn't from his salary.
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by ebucha: 7:12am On Nov 26, 2012
ofcourse yes. After all the mayhem in the North originated from the mosque. Truth the pain.
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by kunlekunle: 7:28am On Nov 26, 2012
tomakint: Definitely it's a YES from me, real men of God act as seers for a country (the Bible gave many instances in the book of Kings)! They sound the note of warning and if heeded can lead to economic prosperity, a typical example in our contemporary time was the story of Paul (now David) Yonggi Cho from South Korea who through prayers and fastings changed the economic status of the country for better! I confirmed from few men of God while listening to their sermons. So, it's possible in Nigeria!

most politicians are xtians and are willing to make progress. they pray over issues and start of proceedings in their assembly, they have the same mind set for progress.
Re: Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:36am On Nov 26, 2012
'When the europeans & arab invaders came here searching for mineral resources and human slaves, we have our brains, lands, and mineral resources and they have their bible and quran, we were told to close our eyes for prayers, now we open our eyes, they have our brains, lands and mineral resources and we have the bible and quran'

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Onyeka Kneeling To Greet Buhari. / Forwarded As Received: Bukola Saraki’s Properties Exposed / RIP Nigeria - Last One Out, Turn Off The Light

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.