Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,781 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:48 PM

Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader (9699 Views)

Unknown Murdered Lady Dumped At Olomore, Abeokuta Refuse Dump (Photo) / Two Students Murdered By Fulani Herdsmen Today (graphic Pictures) / Nigerian Lady Murdered In Horrific Manner In Russia (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by CrazyMan(m): 7:02am On Nov 26, 2012
A newspaper vendor in Calabar, Cross River State, Mr. Innocent Monday-Francis, was on Thursday murdered after an argument that followed his refusal to allow one of his neighbours, identified as Eno, to read the papers.

Monday-Francis (22), who sold newspapers around the popular Flour Mill junction, along the Murtala Mohammed Highway in Calabar, had retired to a neighbourhood bar at Ikot-Effanga area of Calabar to take a bottle of drink when the incident occurred.

Narrating the incident to PUNCH Metro on Sunday in Calabar, the deceased’s younger brother, Mr. Gabriel Monday-Francis, said his brother went to work as usual on Thursday morning and on his way back home in the evening he stopped at a nearby drinking spot for a bottle of drink.

He said those at the drinking spot had alleged that the assailant, who is now on the run, had picked up one of the deceased’s newspapers to read but the vendor told him not to read any of the papers.

He (Monday-Francis) accused the assailant of not only reading the papers for free on all occasions, but that on one or two instances, he had taken copies away without his knowledge.

The deceased’s brother said after that disagreement, Eno got angry and slapped his brother and in retaliation he (Monday-Francis) emptied the content of his glass on the assailant but after people’s intervention, the vendor immediately went home.

He said his late brother, who was already relaxed at home and eating outside, met his death when the assailant came from behind to hit him on his neck twice with shovel and he immediately slumped and died.

“It was while he was already at home eating outside that Eno came to hit him with shovel twice his neck and head and he slumped and died immediately,” the brother said.

It was gathered that when the incident happened, the assailant’s elder brother, whose identity could not be confirmed as at the time of filing this report, rushed to the Federal Housing Police Station in Calabar Municipality to inform the police of what had happened but by the time they got back to the scene of the incident, the assailant had disappeared.

The employer of the deceased, Mr. Etim Dennis, said he was shocked to receive a call on Friday morning that his highest selling vendor had been murdered.

He said, “We are all in mourning now because Monday-Francis was the highest selling vendor I had,” he said.

The deceased’s mother, Mrs. Happiness Monday-John, said that she was called on the phone that her son was dead and truly on getting home, she saw Monday-Francis lying down on the ground and she called him many times without answer.

The police at the Federal Housing Police Station had on Friday morning taken his corpse to the mortuary.

The Cross River State Police Public Relations officer, Mr. John Umoh, said the suspect was already at large.

Umoh explained that the assailant’s brother, who was being detained, would not answer for a crime committed by his brother but that the police was only trying to get information that would facilitate the arrest of the culprit.

http://www.punchng.com/news/newspaper-vendor-murdered-for-turning-down-free-reader/
Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by BenXXX: 9:09am On Nov 26, 2012
This is utterly barbaric...What a Wicked world we live in... sad
Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by lifestyle1(m): 9:09am On Nov 26, 2012
undecided
Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by chineds(m): 9:10am On Nov 26, 2012
Murder ke? for attachment reading? Na wa for we Nigerians oooo. Wetin poverty no go cause sef

1 Like

Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by Eneze1(f): 9:11am On Nov 26, 2012
what could have caused this senseless killing?
Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by Nobody: 9:14am On Nov 26, 2012
"We are all in mourning now because Monday-Francis was the highest selling vendor I had"

There is a cost on life?! That is why they are mourning?!?

2 Likes

Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by Cogent: 9:14am On Nov 26, 2012
Some kain human beings can be funny. So the guy went home after fighting the vendor only to go and plan how to continue the attack later on.
No be say wetin him do correct sef, wen he dey plan to kill pesin put for the mata.

2 Likes

Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by Nobody: 9:15am On Nov 26, 2012
Human life is now worthless in Nigeria..SMH.

1 Like

Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by Nobody: 9:16am On Nov 26, 2012
This is attacking a man at his weak moment either when he is pouncing or eating.

RIP hussler u will neva hussle again.

As for the boze dat killed d actor get ready for d Avengers
Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by Leadn(m): 9:16am On Nov 26, 2012
Poverty really is a deformed disease!

R.I.P to him...
Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by Leadn(m): 9:17am On Nov 26, 2012
SniperInADiaper: "We are all in mourning now because Monday-Francis was the highest selling vendor I had"

my thought exactly! The boss is a slowpoke... undecided
Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by Nobody: 9:18am On Nov 26, 2012
God forbid
Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by Leadn(m): 9:18am On Nov 26, 2012
Eneze1: what could have caused this senseless killing?

read and yu shall know...
Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by miredia(m): 9:23am On Nov 26, 2012
chineds: Murder ke? for attachment reading? Na wa for we Nigerians oooo. Wetin poverty no go cause sef
. Oga this one has nothing to do with poverty. It's deliberate wickedness simplistically defined

2 Likes

Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by paparazzo: 9:23am On Nov 26, 2012
SniperInADiaper: "We are all in mourning now because Monday-Francis was the highest selling vendor I had"

That was exactly what i wantd post.......d boss is stupid!
Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by Youngzedd(m): 9:24am On Nov 26, 2012
What the hell, some niggaz like free launch which is bad/deadly.

Just because the vendor didn't allow the man to read papers free that resulted to lost of life.

If everyone read free then who will buy the papers.

The man should by hanged with his poverty that made him not to afford for a newspaper.

Damn yit.

When will Nigerians stop free launch.

1 Like

Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by Nobody: 9:29am On Nov 26, 2012
Ife n'eme ebelebe eya..
Sumtin has just happened º°˚
Dis sumtin i cannot tell º°˚
Dis sumtin feri feri deadly º°˚

1 Like

Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by Rooneyboy(m): 9:34am On Nov 26, 2012
On and on ,from north to south, East to West, the killings never ceases.
Nigeria indeed u are the giant of africa.

1 Like

Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by Pethan: 9:38am On Nov 26, 2012
What a wicked world we live in! Human lifes is just nothing in the sight of some people
Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by naijathings(m): 9:50am On Nov 26, 2012
all the stories i have been reading since yesterday can al be traced to POVERTY.
that woman with a baby would not have slept in a police station if she had a car
the little girl would not be leaving her house to run errands for ARMY man if she was they had money and class in her own family
that man would not have killed himself for mere 800,000 wey boys dey use buy home theater and 3D TV
Now this one no fit pay for paper and he had to make another man spill his beer then later went to kill him.

POVERTY... May God strike you if you ever get close to me by 100,000km radius you terrible bastarrd. Amen

4 Likes

Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by Born2beRich1(m): 9:55am On Nov 26, 2012
SO because he did not allow him to read the Newspaper for free, he now decided to kill his brother...What a wicked world we live in...My deepest regards to the murdered vendor"s family.
Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by princemaicheal: 10:00am On Nov 26, 2012
The government has turned most Nigerians into babarians through bad leadership and unpopular policies.I think the solution start with a good leader that understand the pulse of Nigerians,before we start to look at re-orientation of the people.

1 Like

Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by Nnaemiemax: 10:07am On Nov 26, 2012
one thing is for sure, the killer will certainly reap what he has sown, no contention to that!

But seriously, calabar people have about the most outrageous name in Nigeria.
Monday-francis, gabriel john-francis, kenneth james-john, dorathy mark-abigail, mathew john-luke.. Ah ah! .

Wonder what happened to achibong, itorobong and otobong.. Lolz!

1 Like

Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by Reference(m): 10:10am On Nov 26, 2012
paparazzo:
That was exactly what i wantd post.......d boss is stupid!

What's wrong with that statement. He was my best staff, period. To me that is commendation. That is the perspective I'd rather choose. The man was related to him by employment only. Nigerians always bring sentiments and personalise everything. Those who were related to the deceased by other means will remember him differently and respond accordingly.

2 Likes

Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by slap1(m): 10:21am On Nov 26, 2012
^^
Are you stupid?
Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by Flygerian1(m): 10:25am On Nov 26, 2012
^^ Loooool. grin
Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by pendulasis: 10:27am On Nov 26, 2012
Is there any anger management consultant in Nigeria someone need one
Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by Flygerian1(m): 10:30am On Nov 26, 2012
Imagine a thread talking about someone's death and one finds it as the 'right' place/time for advert.

Some people can be soo funny sha.
Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by sirwealth(m): 10:31am On Nov 26, 2012
am supecting Goodluck ebele jonathan. He might be the cause of this senseless killing angry
am supecting Goodluck ebele jonathan. He might be the cause of this senseless killing
Re: Newspaper Vendor Murdered For Turning Down Free Reader by sammmiey1: 10:48am On Nov 26, 2012
Leadn:

read and yu shall know...
Don't mind d slowpoke,still asking foolish question after readin wot was vividly stated.....

(1) (2) (Reply)

6 Children Rescued From Human Traffickers’ Den, 7 Missing / Nigerian Arrested In India As Police Nab International Drug Criminals / NDLEA Arrests Drug Mule, Recovers Over 6000kg Narcotics From Fake Security Agent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.