Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,964 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana (7239 Views)

Businesses Of Chuches,mosques Should Be Made To Pay Tax - Demola Seriki / Ikpeazu's Failure To Pay Tax Makes Him Unfit To Be Governor - Supreme Court / Why Femi Falana Was Not Made A Minister - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by mko2005: 9:40am On Nov 27, 2012
5much: wont b a bad idea if churches start paying tax.
The church pays tax already ! I am a christian and i pay my TAX !

1 Like

Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by mko2005: 9:43am On Nov 27, 2012
k2039: I agree with Falana on this,he said the maximum truth.
If he said,christians and muslims alike should pay their tax,then i will agree to that but not churches and mosques to start paying tax ! But if they insist,let the churches and mosque go ahead even though it's not biblical but does not covertly or overtly contradict the word of God.
For peace to reign,give fashola the taxes if he want's them !
God bless us
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by Nobody: 9:45am On Nov 27, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
^dont lie. every muslim has to pay zakat. your muslims even imposed jaziya on many of my Maguzawa people, especailly in Kano. you have no idea how much protection tax we have paid to you slave-baboons. i piss on your mosques. angry

you respect us only because we pay you our hard-earned money. or else by the Gods,we would be dead by now.

You must be mad or something! Who told you zakat is paid to a mosque? And who told you zakat is paid by every muslim? Do you even know what zakat is or how it works?
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by sunkoye: 9:51am On Nov 27, 2012
if govt in their wisdom fink religious bodies shuld be taxed. let it be! pls lets give wat is Caesar to Caesar!
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by Dee60: 9:54am On Nov 27, 2012
I do not agree with Falana one bit. Because you have seen a few pastors acquire jets does not mean that churches have too much money. For his information, there are thousands upon thousands of churches there whose pastors do not even have cars and congregations where their total income is quite low.

Aside, it will be double taxation if you are found to be taxing voluntary offerings. Those who gave those offerings voluntarily would have been taxed before. Mr Falana should no better.

Lets be real and avoid emotional outbursts.
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by zibe(m): 9:55am On Nov 27, 2012
Tithe will be increased to 20%. Hehe
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by Cogent: 10:00am On Nov 27, 2012
m.k.o2005:

Pls no hate words here! Just ask around,muslims pay tithe at the end of the year according to their abilities ! Pls just ask arround. Though that shouldn't be the issues here !
God bless us

You lying Christians will tell any lie to implicate Muslims.

Who told you Muslims pay tithes? Muslims DO NOT pay tithes, there is nothing like tithe paying in Islam, please look for another excuse to justify the thieving ways of your pastors.
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by expert1(m): 10:04am On Nov 27, 2012
Let them also pay for land use charge o...
Church biz is a serious bis.

1 Like

Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:09am On Nov 27, 2012
Discordia:

You must be mad or something! Who told you zakat is paid to a mosque? And who told you zakat is paid by every muslim? Do you even know what zakat is or how it works?

zakat is mandatory in many countries. it is even obligatory by many mosques!
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by boron10(m): 10:12am On Nov 27, 2012
It's time to adopt british taxation system, atleast, the margin between the rich and the poor would reduce. Churches which are unable to meet up with the tax policy should merge mhen, shebi na same Jesus all of them dey call.

2 Likes

Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by jude33084(m): 10:21am On Nov 27, 2012
godswill4m: I really wonder if its possible. No matter what some pastors do this days and abuse the Doctrines of God, i don't think it should warrant for a religious institution to be taxed

Your state of mind! AŋԂ yet you want improvement in your society?
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by emmanwandud(m): 10:21am On Nov 27, 2012
Well this issue of tithe and and tongue lashing people hovering about and looking for a way to distract or confuse tithe payers in the church i have a message for u all especially some religious head and other opposing xtain organisations ITS A FEARFUL THING TO FALL OR INCURE GODS WRATH LEAVE JUDGEMENT TO GOD . i don't know why issues like this should be making headlines when the prime responsibility of spiritual heads should be on how to win souls to Christ and extend the message of Christ in these end time rather than making issues out of nothing. Tithe is recommended in the bible whatsoever the pastor decides to do with the tithe its his business but by paying ur tithe u have done your sole responsibility and kept ur promise to God.pls don't let anybody discourage u not even the religious bigots but always remember that the end will justify the means .
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by Zet72(m): 10:26am On Nov 27, 2012
Cogent:

You are an ɪdiot!!!
What if Imams can afford jets?
Are they buying it form the money their congregation gives them? NO!!!
If you see any Imam buying a jet, then they bought it with their own money that they worked for, not money that was scammed form brain dead congregations of foolish church-going sheep.
Imams work, they have jobs outside of preaching unlike your thieving pastors that sit back and quote bible verses while you morons throw your tithes at them to feed fat on.

The money realized from Friday offerings are
1. Not compulsorily taken from the congregation, it is voluntary.
2. Given to charity.
3. Not given to the Imam for his personal use.
And how dare you compare Friday offerings to the payments churches get?
You people collect tithes, first fruits and whatever foolish dues your church associations charges the members coupled with offering from your Monday to Friday church programs. If it is not youth meeting offering then it is Bible study offering.

I see it pains u,Sory dump ur blood liking allah&mohamad & join the moving train.
(no offense) tongue
Cogent:

You are an ɪdiot!!!
What if Imams can afford jets?
Are they buying it form the money their congregation gives them? NO!!!
If you see any Imam buying a jet, then they bought it with their own money that they worked for, not money that was scammed form brain dead congregations of foolish church-going sheep.
Imams work, they have jobs outside of preaching unlike your thieving pastors that sit back and quote bible verses while you morons throw your tithes at them to feed fat on.

The money realized from Friday offerings are
1. Not compulsorily taken from the congregation, it is voluntary.
2. Given to charity.
3. Not given to the Imam for his personal use.
And how dare you compare Friday offerings to the payments churches get?
You people collect tithes, first fruits and whatever foolish dues your church associations charges the members coupled with offering from your Monday to Friday church programs. If it is not youth meeting offering then it is Bible study offering.

I see it pains u,Sory dump ur blood liking allah&mohamad & join the moving train.
(no offense)
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by doctorbabs(m): 10:27am On Nov 27, 2012
am total concured with what falana said, let all religions bodies pay tax base on what they generate. even durin d time of jesus he ordered his follower to paid tax. give what is for ceasar to ceasar
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by jude33084(m): 10:27am On Nov 27, 2012
emmanwandud: Well this issue of tithe and and tongue lashing people hovering about and looking for a way to distract or confuse tithe payers in the church i have a message for u all especially some religious head and other opposing xtain organisations ITS A FEARFUL THING TO FALL OR INCURE GODS WRATH LEAVE JUDGEMENT TO GOD . [s]i don't know why issues like this should be making headlines when the prime responsibility of spiritual heads should be on how to win souls to Christ and extend the message of Christ in these end time rather than making issues out of nothing[/s].Tithe is recommended in the bible [s]whatsoever the pastor decides to do with the tithe its his business[/s] but by paying ur tithe u have done your sole responsibility and kept ur promise to God.pls don't let anybody discourage u not even the religious bigots but always remember that the end will justify the means .

...AŋԂ you waste hours daily to pray for a better Nigeria?

Can you remember the scene in the Bible when Christ was asked about Tax, What did he say aŋԂ why did he say it.
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by tbaba1234: 10:27am On Nov 27, 2012
m.k.o2005:

Pls no hate words here! Just ask around,muslims pay tithe at the end of the year according to their abilities ! Pls just ask arround. Though that shouldn't be the issues here !
God bless us

Muslims pay a certain percentage of their wealth every year to the poor and needy. Not to the mosque.
The mosques survive by optional weekly contributions.
wealth not earnings, so the already poor do not have to give anything.
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by yertyr(m): 10:30am On Nov 27, 2012
carefulme: Paying tax!!! .....................to what end?

The percentage tithe will only go up proportionately to make compensation for taxes paid......

i.e MORE TITHES will be paid

In fact, a member of the congregation may volunteer to "take care" of the taxes for the next one year........this is also a form of tithe for him....
.......The situation then returns to the original.....and everything appears like there is no tax.......and most members of congregation stilll remain "just as wretched".....

.......Given the ideology and situation of Nigerians, this isn't too much to predict....

then wat wud u have them do...fold hands and don't try curb d problem?
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by NNBB2012: 10:35am On Nov 27, 2012
Religion organizations are non-profit organization. Why on earth should they be made to pay tax? Even the tax paid by other citizens, what have they done with it? It is the responsibility of the government to provide basic amenities for the people. Whatever religion organizations are doing are mere social responsibilities. So, the argument is baseless. Even in developed world, where things are working, they don't pay tax. As a matter of fact,in one developed country that i'm aware of, you could actually claim certain percentage of your donations made to any religion organization back from government through tax return.
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by carefulme(m): 10:43am On Nov 27, 2012
yertyr:

then wat wud u have them do...fold hands and don't try curb d problem?

.....still typing
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by jude33084(m): 10:51am On Nov 27, 2012
m.k.o2005:

All church goers who earn must pay tax cos it's biblical ! But a church that lives on charity,offerings and tithes that isn't compulsory in most churches if not all shouldn't be taxed at all.
See below where even our master Jesus paid both the IMPERIAL TAX and the TEMPLE TAX:
The temple tax was a tax imposed by Moses for the tabernacle upkeep.

''After Jesus and his disciples arrived in Capernaum, the collectors of the two-drachma temple tax came to Peter and asked, “Doesn’t your teacher pay the temple tax?”

25 “Yes, he does,” he replied.

When Peter came into the house, Jesus was the first to speak. “What do you think, Simon?” he asked. “From whom do the kings of the earth collect duty and taxes—from their own children or from others?”

26 “From others,” Peter answered.

“Then the children are exempt,” Jesus said to him. 27 “But so that we may not cause offense, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours.

See below the instruction regarding payment of the IMPERIAL TAX which is the kind of tax FALANA seek from the church instead of the members of the church:
''They came to him and said, “Teacher, we know that you are a man of integrity. You aren’t swayed by others, because you pay no attention to who they are; but you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it right to pay the imperial tax[b] to Caesar or not? Should we pay or shouldn’t we?”

But Jesus knew their hypocrisy. “Why are you trying to trap me?” he asked. “Bring me a denarius and let me look at it.” They brought the coin, and he asked them, “Whose image is this? And whose inscription?”

“Caesar’s,” they replied.

Then Jesus said to them, “Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.”
From what we have above,it is not wrong to pay either the terbanacle tax if we are told to do so in our churches by any church leader who does not understand that sons do not pay such tax but subject do OR neither are we not expected to pay the IMPERIAL TAX (FASHOLA TAX,the state or country tax)Which i pay as a christian since i started working. But christ never instructed the terbanacle or chruch to pay any any of the two taxes. BUT JUST NOT TO OFFEND THEM,IF THEY FALANA/FASHOLA NEEDS IT,LET'S GIVE IT TO THEM becos the bible said we should obey all authorities so long as it does not contradict or will be in dissonance with our salvation !
God bless us.

Most churches have erased these verses from their bible long time ago grin that is why their members dont know τhis undecided
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by emeka762001(m): 10:55am On Nov 27, 2012
Supported. Any church or mosque own by an individual shld pay tax bc they are business centres. They were established to acquire wealth bt othodox churches shld be excluded eg catholic, anglican, methodist, baptist, etc.
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by jimino(m): 10:58am On Nov 27, 2012
D tax we pay as individuals wat has d pple in government used it for? Is it nt 2 acquire jet 4 demselves. Wil collecting tax 4rm churches make d pple in government do d ri8 tin? Abeg make una leave d matter jor, na only God go help us.
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by Zet72(m): 11:03am On Nov 27, 2012
Christ & his desciple paid tax as individuals not as a church, if it is taxing individuals according to what they earn or how much they have then,it should be applied to every body both pastors,imam's alfa's,but for church&mosque to be taxed I disagree
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by mko2005: 11:04am On Nov 27, 2012
Cogent:

You lying Christians will tell any lie to implicate Muslims.

Who told you Muslims pay tithes? Muslims DO NOT pay tithes, there is nothing like tithe paying in Islam, please look for another excuse to justify the thieving ways of your pastors.
So sory,i dnt intend to lie.I was only thinking that the zarkat or zarka i.e the money you keep for a particular period on time that you dnt touch in a given year that u are expected to bring or pay 2.5 percent of the money. But if am wrong,forgive me. Some of my muslim friends told me that. But am yet to research properly about it.
God bless us
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by Kay17: 11:06am On Nov 27, 2012
The Church is entitled to be independent from direct State control, whether or not they rake in billions. Separation of Church from State, reverse situation.
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by Nobody: 11:08am On Nov 27, 2012
shyna501: Is he nt a pastor? He shud start payin' tax, oda wld folow suit... Abi dem ₪☺ dey collect offering Ä♌ð tithe 4 hin church?

did u read d post standing on ur head?

1 Like

Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by Elebiju: 11:19am On Nov 27, 2012
Standing5: Did Jesus and his disciples pay for themselves or did they pay on behalf of the Church?
when jesus came to spread d gospel do u wanna tell me he can't afford a horse,donkey or a cart if he chooses to milk his followers like pastors do today?but instead he wore loins and girdle and was never recorded to keep any wealth whatsoever everything these pastors are gathering is worldly in its entirety,how many imam or pope in history has ever amassed such wealth,well dem kukuma know them mugu sha
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by mrrock: 11:32am On Nov 27, 2012
This is a good move. And those sympathizing with mosques you don't have to worry because taxes are paid based on how much you earn. The higher you earn the more you pay, and the lower you earn the less you pay.
Problem is the so called men of God will resort to telling lies about their income if this becomes law.

1 Like

Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by mko2005: 11:33am On Nov 27, 2012
Elebiju: when jesus came to spread d gospel do u wanna tell me he can't afford a horse,donkey or a cart if he chooses to milk his followers like pastors do today?but instead he wore loins and girdle and was never recorded to keep any wealth whatsoever everything these pastors are gathering is worldly in its entirety,how many imam or pope in history has ever amassed such wealth,well dem kukuma know them mugu sha
This isn't the issue here.Look at the thread properly my brother.Jesus did not come to do all these things you mentioned and that was the reason he did not even marry and so many other things we do today as christians.He came just to die for you and me. All other things HE did was in readiness for HIS death. The question is: Should churches and mosques pay tax ? If you say they should ,Why ? and if you say they shouldn't,why shouldn't they ? Some other time we will discuss why christians may use pravate jet and why the pastors shouldn't ?
No intention to hurt you,but if i did,i ma sory.
God bless us
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by bokohalal(m): 11:47am On Nov 27, 2012
ogogoromaster: And all the Custom duty waivers given to some churches should be cancelled and those duties recalled,you cannot be asking for duty waiver for Jeeps and other luxury Goods.I think it is time for the senate to assume the power to grant waivers to themselves and not the president.this would make it more difficult and would most likely be in the open with the senators.Custom waivers is one of the methods perfected by some unscrupulous "pastropreneurs" to bled our system.How can a pastor be given a custom waiver for a Jeep and other luxury goods
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by Dopefiend(m): 11:48am On Nov 27, 2012
shyna501: Is he nt a pastor? He shud start payin' tax, oda wld folow suit... Abi dem ₪☺ dey collect offering Ä♌ð tithe 4 hin church?

Are you high on dust? Is femi falana a pastor?
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by Zico0(m): 11:56am On Nov 27, 2012
Aaaaaaaaaahhhh! Nairaland mo'una free me this morning o. Of all the happenings in 9ja, these are the things those idiots we call leaders can come up with.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If This Happens Buhari Will Become President Mark My Words / 340, 634 Registered Voters For Lagos Bye Election On Saturday – INEC / Nigeria Politicians Needs The Oracle Back To Put The People First- (Great Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.