Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,724 members, 7,816,977 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana (7241 Views)

Businesses Of Chuches,mosques Should Be Made To Pay Tax - Demola Seriki / Ikpeazu's Failure To Pay Tax Makes Him Unfit To Be Governor - Supreme Court / Why Femi Falana Was Not Made A Minister - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by yertyr(m): 12:00pm On Nov 27, 2012
Standing5: Bad belle wan finish them all. Tithing is not by force. Tax is suppose to at the point where an entity earns and not a charitable cause the people pay what they believe in(tithe) to. It is funny how same politicians who cripled our public system are the ones 'beefin' the alternative system the people willingly contributed to.

one question...how do churches and pastors make their living?..
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by cold(m): 12:21pm On Nov 27, 2012
All Bishop Oyedepo & his ilk need to do is come on the pulpit & scream 'i need 5 people to volunteer to pay the church's taxes for a year'.& voila!30 people or more are on their feet. It's the Nigerian way. The gullibility of Nigerians is overwhelming
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by Elebiju: 12:28pm On Nov 27, 2012
m.k.o2005:

This isn't the issue here.Look at the thread properly my brother.Jesus did not come to do all these things you mentioned and that was the reason he did not even marry and so many other things we do today as christians.He came just to die for you and me. All other things HE did was in readiness for HIS death. The question is: Should churches and mosques pay tax ? If you say they should ,Why ? and if you say they shouldn't,why shouldn't they ? Some other time we will discuss why christians may use pravate jet and why the pastors shouldn't ?
No intention to hurt you,but if i did,i ma sory.
God bless us
apologies rejected,hmmm u showed me that d level of my dyslexia has escalated abi?okay in a situation where a church has business ventures that even its member can not patronise,what is ur stand on taxation here?I'm waiting.........
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by Jeeztinz: 1:19pm On Nov 27, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

These are National Religions so they are exempted from taxes. Also our priests don collect tithes or private jets. only chicken, goat, fruits, etc. unless you want to tax these item tongue
for your information, there are no national religions- nigeria is a secular state
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by karpentar: 1:20pm On Nov 27, 2012
ballabriggs:

punchng.com

why must he include mosques?
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by dilbert100: 1:27pm On Nov 27, 2012
i agree with this.
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:37pm On Nov 27, 2012
Jeeztinz: for your information, there are no national religions- nigeria is a secular state

NIgeria is secular??!!! are you kidding me?!! shocked shocked shocked shocked

a secular state with shariaa and local xtian pastors running the country! na wa oooooooo

when i mean NAtional Religions, i mean the religion of the people, by the people and for the people . Traditional religions qualify in this and they are indigenous thereby unanimously they are our National Religions whether you like it or not. cool
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by mko2005: 1:57pm On Nov 27, 2012
Elebiju: apologies rejected,hmmm u showed me that d level of my dyslexia has escalated abi?okay in a situation where a church has business ventures that even its member can not patronise,what is ur stand on taxation here?I'm waiting.........
All businesses of whether church of God or church of satan must be taxed if there are laws for company or business organisations to pay tax as is the case of Nigeria. Whether the members of the church can patronize this businesses or not isn't the concern of the state laws ! What some are sayings is:
Take taxes from the christians,muslims and all other believers who work and earn a living and leave the worship places alone ! But if the government insist that they must pay these taxes, CHURCHES SHOULD GIVE IT TO THEM SO LONG AS IT DOES NOT MAKE ONE TO COMPROMISE HIS FAITH OR HINDER ONE FROM MAKING HEAVEN !
God bless us
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 27, 2012
Tax cannot be imposed on these religious bodies untill the CAMA 2004, FIRS ACT AND THE CITA are amended.

Nigeria as a deeply religious country recognises the right of the church to acquire funds for its own purposes. a look at the CAMA and the CITA would shwo you where charitable institutions and religious institutions are exempted from tax.
you cannot just wake up one day and start taxing churches. Nigerians would protest. the law makers themselves benefit from this tithes and donations paid by unsuspecting and sometimes gullble church members.

if at all these laws would be amended...the law makers would pass that bill around for ages untill everybody loses interest.

the only state that might actively implement it might be Lagos State...but that is not within their powern until the Nstional Assembly amends those Acts

1 Like

Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by badesco(m): 2:59pm On Nov 27, 2012
May be the guy is right to some extent. lets see if it will possible to do it in Nigeria
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by drnoel: 3:51pm On Nov 27, 2012
ballabriggs:

punchng.com
I agree,,..but the problem is that the pastors will lean on their congregation to pay the bills. At the end of the day, nobi una go pay the bills,...na us.
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by rusher14: 6:44pm On Nov 27, 2012
Cogent:

You are an ɪdiot!!!
What if Imams can afford jets?
Are they buying it form the money their congregation gives them? NO!!!
If you see any Imam buying a jet, then they bought it with their own money that they worked for, not money that was scammed form brain dead congregations of foolish church-going sheep.
Imams work, they have jobs outside of preaching unlike your thieving pastors that sit back and quote bible verses while you morons throw your tithes at them to feed fat on.

The money realized from Friday offerings are
1. Not compulsorily taken from the congregation, it is voluntary.
2. Given to charity.
3. Not given to the Imam for his personal use.
And how dare you compare Friday offerings to the payments churches get?
You people collect tithes, first fruits and whatever foolish dues your church associations charges the members coupled with offering from your Monday to Friday church programs. If it is not youth meeting offering then it is Bible study offering.

Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by Exponental(m): 7:07pm On Nov 27, 2012
I think I support this......pastors run churches like a plc.
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by Nobody: 7:15pm On Nov 27, 2012
Supported
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by OsunOriginal: 8:38pm On Nov 27, 2012
NNBB2012: Religion organizations are non-profit organization. Why on earth should they be made to pay tax? Even the tax paid by other citizens, what have they done with it? It is the responsibility of the government to provide basic amenities for the people. Whatever religion organizations are doing are mere social responsibilities. So, the argument is baseless. Even in developed world, where things are working, they don't pay tax. As a matter of fact,in one developed country that i'm aware of, you could actually claim certain percentage of your donations made to any religion organization back from government through tax return.

Tell me how many churches are not personally owned? And tell me how these personal businesses called churches are able to buy jets and stretched limo for personal use if they are not making profit? What charity are they into? How many public schools have Oyedepo, Oladepo, Oritsejafor, etc rebuilt? Can you show me a few water systems these billonnaire pastors have built for people in villages across their state and country? How many hospitals providing free medical services do they have in the country (in villages and major towns)?

What is charity? If these people are into charity, do you think they will have enough to buy stretched limo talkless of private jets?

You are a brain-washed idiot...
Re: Churches, Mosques Should Pay Tax – Falana by badesco(m): 12:38pm On Dec 13, 2012
The Apostle of this outrageous initiative would be remembered as the worst person on earth. i mean in lagos as the case may be.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NRC Resumes Cargo Train Operation After 10 Years / If Igbos Sincerely Want Biafra.... / Shema Submits Himself To EFCC, Says "I Have Nothing To Fear"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.