Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,860 members, 7,817,542 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:03 PM

Nigerian Music Of Today Is An Aberration - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Music Of Today Is An Aberration (6735 Views)

Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up / Is The Music Of The 70's And 80's Better Than The Music Of Today? / Can I Download Nigerian Music From the Internet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Music Of Today Is An Aberration by joseph1832(m): 4:43pm On Nov 28, 2012
Unknown member, if you really take yoir time to listen to the people you just mentioned! You'll understant their message. Have you ever heard the sentence "listen with your heart, you'll understand?". Even if you can't understand or decipher the messages their, you have to admit what Beethoven and mozart composed is soothing and can help one relax after a hard days work!
Re: Nigerian Music Of Today Is An Aberration by MsFlawless: 5:40pm On Nov 28, 2012
Unknown Member: .[b]Dudes, please give it a rest..

MUSIC IS SUBJECTIVE..

- There is no such thing as good music and bad music.

- You are right, Music is indeed 'food for the soul'.. Whilst I will listen to an Asa's - Mr Jailer on a cool saturday evening drive over to the grocery store, for its calm cool meaningful melodies, Terry G's - Aye pon gan is definitely what I want to be hearing by 1.am at the club. Both are food for my soul, whilst Asa feeds my soul with calm melodies, Terry G feeds my sul with raw energy.

- Every generation would always have that genre of music that is considered as 'Bad Music' simply because it differes from what has become acceptable. There was a time when Rock music was considered bad Satan music, today, even the Gospel genre now has a rock sub-genre.

- You cant like every music that is out there. You can mention classics like Smokies, however, even Smokies had some controversial songs like 'Pass it Aroud' whic was simply talking about marijuana. You talked about Elvis, before elvis became what he became, he was first rejected for his sexually charged rock and roll performances.

- Point is simple, one mans garbage is another treasure. Even I who consider myself a well rounded musical enthusiast still often find it hard to grasp JAzz.. Like really WTF is that shiit about?!

If a certain music genre or movement does not appeal to you, that does not make it bad music.[/b]
I love this comment smiley
Re: Nigerian Music Of Today Is An Aberration by Revolva(m): 5:47pm On Nov 28, 2012
phinter: End time tins. And yes its not only in Nigeria. its the whole world.
Shut up small minded folk what is end time here if uyou don't have anything to say don't post -
Re: Nigerian Music Of Today Is An Aberration by Owen2(m): 6:51pm On Nov 28, 2012
Unknown Member:

[b]Not all genres of music must carry a message;

- Classical music; Ludwig Van Beethoven, Wolfgang Mozart, Johann Bach e.t.c. All they did was compose music that had no lyrical content. If you can tell me the message in Frederik Chopins Sonata in B-flat minor, then I will call you a witch, because all I hear are instruments.

- Rock Music: Still considered Devil music by some. This I also love. However, not all rock music is meant to carry a 'Love thy neighbour as you love yourself' message. Punk Rock, heavy Metal, alternative all appeal to those who have the ear for it.

- Gospel Music: To someone like me, its just noise, to a born again christian, its the best thing since sliced bread.

- Nigerian Music: 9ice sold a shitload of copies of his first album. I personally have purchased over 5 of those albums. I dont hear a word of Yoruba, but when I bump his CD, I enjoy it like I am an indegene of Oshogbo. Same thing with the Late Dagrins Album.

Some music are informative, some educative, some to lighten your mood, some to whip you into an energetic frenzy, some just for entertainment and so on..

One mans bad music is another man's classic music.[/b]

Your post was rendered invalid from the point you said not all music must carry a message. Start by reading up the etymology of the word 'music'.
Re: Nigerian Music Of Today Is An Aberration by Ayoobscom(m): 7:13pm On Nov 28, 2012
People sing nowadays telling you they are bad boys, telling you they are dangerous and yet when we see them we want to kiss their feet

This is so stupid of human mentality..
Re: Nigerian Music Of Today Is An Aberration by seyi42k(m): 7:35pm On Nov 28, 2012
Unknown Member:

[b]Not all genres of music must carry a message;

- Classical music; Ludwig Van Beethoven, Wolfgang Mozart, Johann Bach e.t.c. All they did was compose music that had no lyrical content. If you can tell me the message in Frederik Chopins Sonata in B-flat minor, then I will call you a witch, because all I hear are instruments.

- Rock Music: Still considered Devil music by some. This I also love. However, not all rock music is meant to carry a 'Love thy neighbour as you love yourself' message. Punk Rock, heavy Metal, alternative all appeal to those who have the ear for it.

- Gospel Music: To someone like me, its just noise, to a born again christian, its the best thing since sliced bread.

- Nigerian Music: 9ice sold a shitload of copies of his first album. I personally have purchased over 5 of those albums. I dont hear a word of Yoruba, but when I bump his CD, I enjoy it like I am an indegene of Oshogbo. Same thing with the Late Dagrins Album.

Some music are informative, some educative, some to lighten your mood, some to whip you into an energetic frenzy, some just for entertainment and so on..

One mans bad music is another man's classic music.[/b]

You are employing sophism in you arguement. I grew up listening to classical music and my church (Apostolic Faith) has a choir and orchestra with at least 100 members playing different instruments every sunday. I can assure you that music has a message.

Have you ever watched a documentary of fans attending a rock concert? Have you analysed their effect on your brain? Do you know music carry subliminal messages that directly affect our moods? Do you know you can have an idea of who a person by the kind of music they listen to the most?

Now, I am not saying one cannot appreciate or listen to other kinds of music once in a while, however the music you hold dear to you heart says a lot about you.

- People with suicidal or rebellious tendencies gravitate to rap or rock or heavy metal.

- People with high level of sophistication ( real or feigned) gravitate towards jazz or classicals or blues/soul

- People with romantic tendencies gravitate towards R&B.

- A Nigerian Activist will probably love Fela's music e.t.c

I know these are generalizations that may not hold true in all situations but believe me, if you really want to know the kind of person you are or you may become, analyse the music that you appreciate. You will be surprised.
Re: Nigerian Music Of Today Is An Aberration by Nobody: 7:43pm On Nov 28, 2012
jogrin0: and we are stil petronizin them by buying thier album....i tire 4 our upcuming 9ja musicians ooo....nw adays,if u b fine boy,na music u wan go into...eg..sina rambo,b.reds,etc
i tire o...we ought to be Dieselizing them!
Re: Nigerian Music Of Today Is An Aberration by neversaynever(m): 9:27pm On Nov 28, 2012
Choice people, choice. It's all about choice. Life'll be boring if we all danced to the same tune. What you consider trash may pass message to another.
Re: Nigerian Music Of Today Is An Aberration by Owen2(m): 12:14am On Nov 29, 2012
never_say_never: Choice people, choice. It's all about choice. Life'll be boring if we all danced to the same tune. What you consider trash may pass message to another.

^^ What possible meaningful message is "Take banana till you go yo" (x5) passing to you?

All songs carry messages, even messages unintended by the singer, that's the power of music! However, the OP's point was tied around POSITIVE messages, songs that possess meaningul lyrics that rub off on you and affect your thought pattern in a good way, which is lacking in no small measure.
Re: Nigerian Music Of Today Is An Aberration by joseph1832(m): 12:29am On Nov 29, 2012
Thanks a lot Owen I see we operate on the zame frequency! People just listen to these our naija songs cos its the thing in vogue! Many Nigerians love to follow the band wagon. I for one listen to gothic and alternate rock with a little of jazz and classical, and am kinda rebellious! Your analysis is kinda valid. Thumbs up.
Re: Nigerian Music Of Today Is An Aberration by neversaynever(m): 1:34am On Nov 29, 2012
*Owen*:

^^ What possible meaningful message is "Take banana till you go yo" (x5) passing to you?

All songs carry messages, even messages unintended by the singer, that's the power of music! However, the OP's point was tied around POSITIVE messages, songs that possess meaningul lyrics that rub off on you and affect your thought pattern in a good way, which is lacking in no small measure.

What's your definition of a positive message? The music you're making reference to may not carry a positive message, but you can't judge all men with one man's error. Give me an example of a 'positive messaged' music too.
Re: Nigerian Music Of Today Is An Aberration by eggheaders(m): 8:11am On Nov 29, 2012
seyi42k:

You are employing sophism in you arguement. I grew up listening to classical music and my church (Apostolic Faith) has a choir and orchestra with at least 100 members playing different instruments every sunday. I can assure you that music has a message.

Have you ever watched a documentary of fans attending a rock concert? Have you analysed their effect on your brain? Do you know music carry subliminal messages that directly affect our moods? Do you know you can have an idea of who a person by the kind of music they listen to the most?

Now, I am not saying one cannot appreciate or listen to other kinds of music once in a while, however the music you hold dear to you heart says a lot about you.

- People with suicidal or rebellious tendencies gravitate to rap or rock or heavy metal.

- People with high level of sophistication ( real or feigned) gravitate towards jazz or classicals or blues/soul

I know these are generalizations that may not hold true in all situations but believe me, if you really want to know the kind of person you are or you may become, analyse the music that you appreciate. You will be surprised.

so on point. rebellious kinda person.does loads of rap and rock with reggea
Re: Nigerian Music Of Today Is An Aberration by Nobody: 9:11am On Nov 29, 2012
6-7years from now, i'm gona start a talk show and t.v show exposing these mediocre artistes and the big corps. behind them. Also Seun is guilty of all we are saying.
Got to make my money 1st.
Re: Nigerian Music Of Today Is An Aberration by UnknownMember: 9:11am On Nov 29, 2012
seyi42k:

[b]Again sir, I beg to slightly differ..

I took heed the advice of Owen and researched the etymology of Music.. It was quite an exhausting read, however some definitions of music struck me;

- "Music, often an art/entertainment, is a total social fact whose definitions vary according to era and culture," according to Jean Molino

- "musicologist Jean-Jacques Nattiez: "The border between music and noise is always culturally defined—which implies that, even within a single society, this border does not always pass through the same place; in short, there is rarely a consensus.... By all accounts there is no single and intercultural universal concept defining what music might be"

- just as music is whatever people choose to recognize as such, noise is whatever is recognized as disturbing, unpleasant, or both" (Nattiez 1990, 47–48).

And the list goes on and on...

Point here is simply;

1. Not all music will appeal to you.

2. There is no known universal scale/standard for measuring good or bad music.

3. The music you listen to is dependent on your mood and not your personality. No human listens to just one genre of music all their life. Even a Goth will once in a while deviate from heavy metal rock and indulge in some soulful R&B.

4. Each era brings with it, its own type of music. By the time our grandkids get here, they will have their own kind of music which may not even be a subset of any of the presently known genres.

Now you said you grew up listening to classical music in church, good for you. However, the fact that you were sitting in church listening to church music simply means that they would only be playing a selection of music that must pass a message in line with what the church is all about, YES?! Now lets move away from your church and lets talk about real classical music, E.g Ludwig Van Beethoven. This is one of the greatest composers of all times. His symphonies and quartets have no lyrics whatsoever. Please find one, post a link to it hear, I will download it and then maybe you can tell me what message a bunch of musical instruments playing with no lyric passes to you. I would really love to hear what you are hearing.

I will however agree with you that musical enres have been stereotyped as fitting people with certain moods, but then again, that rule isnt set in stone. I am yet to stumble across any credible research that has directly linked heavy metal, rock or rap with suicide. For every 'RESEARCH' supporting your theory you bring, I will find you one that disproves it.. Ask yourself why despite the several cases brought against heavy metal bands and artistes, not one conviction has ever been recorded.

The bit on sophisticated people being more likely to be lovers of Jazz and classical music is a big laugh. Even the President of the free world (Obama) has admited that he listens to rappers like Common, Khanye, Jay-Z and co. Even Mitt Romney when asked about his favorite musicians, after saying Classical and Jazz, went on to say he loves 'The Rolling Stones, The Eagles and also Aerosmith'. I guess that makes them rebels of some sort abi?! lol

I love Classical music. I will pay my money to hear a fat lady sing at the opera way before I attend a Jay-Z or Lil Wayne concert. I also love Rap, Rock (alternative, a lil bit of heavy metal, slow rock, e.t.c), I love musicals (Evita, Sound of Music, the King & I, e.t.c), oldies like (the beetles, The Beegees, Smokies, e.t.c), Nigerian music (rap, soul, R&B, dancehall et al), I especially love reaggae (Riddims, culture, dancehall, root e.t.c).. and it goes on.. But in my versatility in music, I still for the life of me cant stand foreign Gospel (Kirk Franklin, Don Meon, Kenoly and co), still cant understand Jazz music (like whats up with that shiit?! lol)..

Once more sir, music is like love, it has no real universally acceptable meaning, differs in appeal from one person to another and does not necessarily have to carry a message be it negative or positive for it to be described as good music.[/b]
Re: Nigerian Music Of Today Is An Aberration by ESULAALU: 11:03am On Nov 29, 2012
Unknown Member:

[b]Again sir, I beg to slightly differ..

I took heed the advice of Owen and researched the etymology of Music.. It was quite an exhausting read, however some definitions of music struck me;

- "Music, often an art/entertainment, is a total social fact whose definitions vary according to era and culture," according to Jean Molino

- "musicologist Jean-Jacques Nattiez: "The border between music and noise is always culturally defined—which implies that, even within a single society, this border does not always pass through the same place; in short, there is rarely a consensus.... By all accounts there is no single and intercultural universal concept defining what music might be"

- just as music is whatever people choose to recognize as such, noise is whatever is recognized as disturbing, unpleasant, or both" (Nattiez 1990, 47–48).

And the list goes on and on...

Point here is simply;

1. Not all music will appeal to you.

2. There is no known universal scale/standard for measuring good or bad music.

3. The music you listen to is dependent on your mood and not your personality. No human listens to just one genre of music all their life. Even a Goth will once in a while deviate from heavy metal rock and indulge in some soulful R&B.

4. Each era brings with it, its own type of music. By the time our grandkids get here, they will have their own kind of music which may not even be a subset of any of the presently known genres.

Now you said you grew up listening to classical music in church, good for you. However, the fact that you were sitting in church listening to church music simply means that they would only be playing a selection of music that must pass a message in line with what the church is all about, YES?! Now lets move away from your church and lets talk about real classical music, E.g Ludwig Van Beethoven. This is one of the greatest composers of all times. His symphonies and quartets have no lyrics whatsoever. Please find one, post a link to it hear, I will download it and then maybe you can tell me what message a bunch of musical instruments playing with no lyric passes to you. I would really love to hear what you are hearing.

I will however agree with you that musical enres have been stereotyped as fitting people with certain moods, but then again, that rule isnt set in stone. I am yet to stumble across any credible research that has directly linked heavy metal, rock or rap with suicide. For every 'RESEARCH' supporting your theory you bring, I will find you one that disproves it.. Ask yourself why despite the several cases brought against heavy metal bands and artistes, not one conviction has ever been recorded.

The bit on sophisticated people being more likely to be lovers of Jazz and classical music is a big laugh. Even the President of the free world (Obama) has admited that he listens to rappers like Common, Khanye, Jay-Z and co. Even Mitt Romney when asked about his favorite musicians, after saying Classical and Jazz, went on to say he loves 'The Rolling Stones, The Eagles and also Aerosmith'. I guess that makes them rebels of some sort abi?! lol

I love Classical music. I will pay my money to hear a fat lady sing at the opera way before I attend a Jay-Z or Lil Wayne concert. I also love Rap, Rock (alternative, a lil bit of heavy metal, slow rock, e.t.c), I love musicals (Evita, Sound of Music, the King & I, e.t.c), oldies like (the beetles, The Beegees, Smokies, e.t.c), Nigerian music (rap, soul, R&B, dancehall et al), I especially love reaggae (Riddims, culture, dancehall, root e.t.c).. and it goes on.. But in my versatility in music, I still for the life of me cant stand foreign Gospel (Kirk Franklin, Don Meon, Kenoly and co), still cant understand Jazz music (like whats up with that shiit?! lol)..

Once more sir, music is like love, it has no real universally acceptable meaning, differs in appeal from one person to another and does not necessarily have to carry a message be it negative or positive for it to be described as good music.[/b]

WAOH,I LIKE THIS.SENSIBLE POST FROM MY UNKNOWN MEMBER.TO THINK I IMAGINED IT WOULD BE A HERCULEAN TASK TO MOULD YOU INTO A HUMAN BEING. SO AN ANIMAL CAN ALSO ACT LIKE A HUMAN TOO? WAOH,THIS IS GREAT.I TOLD YOU I WOULD MAKE SURE YOU DONT INSULT ANYONE ON NAIRALAND AND I ACHIEVED IT.

YOU SEE IT DOESNT TAK TOO MUCH TO RESPECT PEOPLE AND THEIR OPINIONS.EVEN IF YOU HAVE A HEATED DEBATE WITH PEOPLE,YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND THAT EVERYONE HAS GOT DIVERGENT VIEWS AND ALSO DIFFERENT BACKGROUNDS WHICH MEANS YOU WILL NEVER THINK ALIKE. PEOPLE WILL INSULT YOU BUT BEING THE BIGGER PERSON MEANS OVERLOOKING THE INSULT AND PLAY THE MATURITY CARD TO MAKE SUCH PERSON FEEL SORRY AND IN TURN APOLOGISE TO YOU.

QUARRELS NEVER MADE ANYONE RICH,ONLY GIVES A BAD NAME AND WHATEVER YOU SAY IN THE HEAT OF A QUARREL CAN NEVER BE TAKEN BACK BUT YOU CAN MAKE AMENDS BY APOLOGISING AND FORGING FORWARD.

UNKNOWN,THAT IS SOMETHING FOR YOU TO THINK ABOUT.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagbaja / Download Lastest Music Here: (9ja & Foreign) / New Music: Lil Frosh Ft Small Doctor - Firi Yahoo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.