Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,289 members, 7,811,863 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture (2432 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture / Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 7:19am On Nov 28, 2012
There are a few things I find interesting about Yoruba culture and that includes the Custom of greetings.
There is a parlance that says "ikini lasha wa" which means greetings is part of our culture. As I am typing this, a stranger just greeted me and I was obliged to respond after a second thought.

Some people would even get offended is you pass by them and don't offer your greetings? Sometimes, greetings even extend into a mini rapport. Where the greeter enquires about every other thing like your work " ise nko", your home " ile nko", your night " aku ana" etcetera.
Which I don't have a problem with but my concern is why would a complete stranger also greet you?

Your thoughts on this are much welcome.
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by tpia1: 8:14am On Nov 28, 2012
leave yorubas alone dear.
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 8:57am On Nov 28, 2012
tpia1: leave yorubas alone dear.
This is not a tribalist discussion because i am also from the tribe.
I am only trying to understand this cultural phenomenon.
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by tpia1: 9:19am On Nov 28, 2012
then ask people from your hometown.
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 2:06pm On Nov 28, 2012
^^^Which one come be your own nau? I only want reasonable contributions and if you have none, please kindly let it pass.
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by ifyalways(f): 3:02pm On Nov 28, 2012
@OP, do you mean strangers on the street walking up to greet you or what?

If i go into a new city, a new hood, i greet anyone and everyone.
I think unlike some tribes that their greeting ends @ the "how are you stage", Yorubas would ask after your kids/spouse/health/business/last night etc . Its a good thing,IMO
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 28, 2012
ifyalways: @OP, do you mean strangers on the street walking up to greet you or what?

I think unlike some tribes that their greeting ends @ the "how are you stage", Yorubas would ask after your kids/spouse/health/business/last night etc . Its a good thing,IMO

Honestly, i'm not saying it's a bad thing, but when a complete stranger passes by you and greets you, that is what i find odd.
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by tpia1: 9:17pm On Nov 28, 2012
If your instinct is telling you something's wrong, then it probably is.

Dont assume its culture.

Maybe in some parts that's what they do, but nobody knows the specifics.

In these days of cell phone communication and whatnot, who knows what's going on.
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by tpia1: 9:18pm On Nov 28, 2012
Or are you denzel and people are admiring your beauty?
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by slimyem: 9:28pm On Nov 28, 2012
Greeting is a big part of Yoruba lifestyle....and culture too.Its a moral standard..
...and well,for strangers,its very discretionary....!
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 8:12pm On Nov 29, 2012
slimyem: Greeting is a big part of Yoruba lifestyle....and culture too.Its a moral standard..
...and well,for strangers,its very discretionary....!
Thank you!

tpia1: Or are you denzel and people are admiring your beauty?
Well! That's not left for me to judge. grin
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 6:58pm On Nov 30, 2012
Yes ,greeting strangers is great part of Yoruba culture.........

Yoruba can surely use ''greetings'' stranger to inquire who such stranger is,where he/she comes from and motive in the environment without such fellow(stranger) felling insulted !!

E.g

e nle ooo, epe le faaa,

gbogbo ile nko, se alafia ni awon omo wa,

abi eyin ni tisa tuntun ni ilu wa yi....

Ahahaha, ise wo ni tiyin ?

E kabo,na to use prayer finish the rest for the person all within smiles blowing within white africano teeth!!!!

The essence of the prayer na 4 d stranger to feel loved and welcomed!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 9:11pm On Dec 02, 2012
^^^You be Ijebu man?
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by dominique(f): 9:33pm On Dec 02, 2012
Greeting can be so tiring ojare. A two minute walk down the street could require you to greet about a dozen people. Sometimes I walk down without greeting anyfrigginbody tongue. na by force? Some people will be staring at you expecting you to greet them. At times strangers greet me and I mumble a reply tho I'd prefer if I'm not greeted in the first place. Don't greet me I no go greet you, man no go vex.
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 9:35pm On Dec 02, 2012
Brand_new: ^^^You be Ijebu man?

hmmm
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 1:06pm On Dec 03, 2012
dominique: Greeting can be so tiring ojare. A two minute walk down the street could require you to greet about a dozen people. Sometimes I walk down without greeting anyfrigginbody tongue. na by force? Some people will be staring at you expecting you to greet them. At times strangers greet me and I mumble a reply tho I'd prefer if I'm not greeted in the first place. Don't greet me I no go greet you, man no go vex.
I sometimes feel that way but Yoruba people will term it as pride whereas you just want to go easy and peacefully without any interruptions. So these days I make sure I bow well enough to make it obvious anytime an older acquaintance comes my way.
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by tpia1: 8:45pm On Dec 03, 2012
You dont sound yoruba.
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:44pm On Dec 04, 2012
ifyalways: @OP, do you mean strangers on the street walking up to greet you or what?

Yorubas only greet Yorubas,except if they know you before hand. The Igbo are taught to greet their elders,regardless of race nor tribe.
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by dominique(f): 4:59pm On Dec 04, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

Yorubas only greet Yorubas,except if they know you before hand. The Igbo are taught to greet their elders,regardless of race nor tribe.

Yorubas Hausas Binsi Urogbos weren't taught about greeting abi? Must everything turn into a tribal war?
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 4:01am On Dec 05, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

That's not true.
tpia1: You dont sound yoruba.
Truly I am.

1 Like

Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:51pm On Dec 05, 2012
dominique:

Yorubas Hausas Binsi Urogbos weren't taught about greeting abi? Must everything turn into a tribal war?

mind you,I never mentioned Hausa,Bini nor Uhrobo...I have live with Hausa,Igbo,Uhrobo,Yoruba and Bini and I know what Iam talking about.
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by tpia1: 1:04am On Dec 15, 2012
Brand_new:

Truly I am.

i doubt it.
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by Geomac: 6:41pm On Dec 17, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

You are wrong sir.
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 6:48pm On Feb 16, 2013
tpia1:

i doubt it.
What proof do you need?

This subject matter is still disturbing to me because I'm just an easy going person and I detest unnecessary attention. So why do some people take it very personal when you just go on your own jeje without no qualms. They easily interprete it as you being a snub. Wtf!

1 Like

Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by tpia5: 8:48pm On Feb 16, 2013
You wouldnt be asking such questions if you were familiar with yoruba culture, or if you knew any yorubas at all, talkless claim to be one.

Shows you're not, thats why everything is strange to you.
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 9:24pm On Feb 16, 2013
@Tipia you don come again o! cool
Abi na you go tell me my tribe again?

Anyways " owo epo laiye ba ni la won kin ba ni la teje."
Oya go find a translator for that popular Yoruba saying. grin
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by tpia5: 10:27pm On Feb 16, 2013
Copy and paste.
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 11:26pm On Feb 16, 2013
tpia@:
Copy and paste.
I've given up so believe what ypu want. Back to topic though.
I still find it hard to cope. I'm afraid some if not many will think I'm a snob but I'm just trying to mind my own business jejeli.
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by tpia5: 12:35am On Feb 17, 2013
just keep minding your business, or whats your problem?

you can also move elsewhere, its not by force.
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 7:58pm On Feb 17, 2013
tpia@:
just keep minding your business, or whats your problem?

you can also move elsewhere, its not by force.
Do I have to move out of Yorubaland just to live the way I deem fit?
Because it seems to me that this greeting thing is a cultural issue.

1 Like

Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by tpia5: 8:09pm On Feb 17, 2013
who cares or even notices you?

seems you're either idle or have some issues that need to be addressed.

are you lonely?

i mean, this may come across a bit strong but the whining/narcissism is getting too much.
Re: Is Greeting Strangers Part Of Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 3:34pm On Feb 21, 2013
Oh dear! When i'm about to declare that i found an answer to my nagging question. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

PHOTOS: See The Terrible Lives Of Nigerian Prostitutes(mostly Edo Girls) In Ital / Ganwari Ganye, HRH Umaru Sanda Led Others On Thank You Visit To HRH Lamido Adama / CONTROVERSY: Yoruba Oba Drops Title, Becomes Emir

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.