Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,409 members, 7,819,465 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:49 PM

Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. (13503 Views)

Abacha Loot Is Too Huge For Us To Handle – World Bank / Benue Militant Who Submitted 84 Guns To The State Govt / Should President goodluck Jonathan Be Given More Chance To Fix Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by Goddex: 10:52am On Nov 29, 2012
Desola:

because your family and that of those in abuja are in lagos. Lagos caters for you and the whole of Nigeria, that's why.

Desola is just one frustrated, timid, hipocritical, tribal and religious bigot.
You need travel out and gain some exposure.

Whose family is being catered for?
I pay tax of about 50,000 naira monthly to the Lagos state government, but provide myself with all the neccessary amenities.

Common pipeborne water, lagos state government cannot provide to its citizens. In some other Nigerian cities I have lived,
water runs freely and all the time.
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by AjanleKoko: 10:53am On Nov 29, 2012
PointB:

Fall your hand ke? If 23 billion naira IGR is not huge, perhaps Lagos should trade places with Kano in that regards. And how are you catering for the 13.5 million over-taxed citizen, who pay tolls for services provided for with same tax they pay? Are you dashing them free money?

If anyone is politicizing the matter, it is Fashola who has rushed to the house of Reps to raise dust on a matter in the exclusive preserve of the FG.

Okay, confirmed, you just fell my hand with this your countryman analysis.
Lagos is 'officially' 13.5 million people, while Kano is 'officially' 10 million people. Nobody knows the real figures, but let's work with that, for now.

With all their 'population', what does Kano pay to the federal coffers in VAT, compared to Lagos? I'm sure Lagos figures must dwarf Kano by a factor of 10:1.
What infrastructure has been built in Kano by the Kano state governments since 1999? Lagos has built roads,bridges, and is building an airport, light rail system, seaport, and free trade zone.

That your toll yarns is just dust. How many people are paying toll, one toll road in Eti-Osa LGA? Less than 2% of Lagosians are impacted by that toll road.
Abeg stop misyarning.
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by AjanleKoko: 10:56am On Nov 29, 2012
mbulela:
23 billion naira IGR, huge?
Not for the size of lagos state.

Either this man lives in a remote part of Nigeria, or doesn't even live in Nigeria.
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by tarryT(m): 11:00am On Nov 29, 2012
seanet01: Are you for real? The fact is what are the justification for not guaranteeing the loan when Lagos state has never been a loan defaulter and the World Bank has accepted to give out the based on their own feasibility and viability studies of the projects and the repayment structure? You ibos can keep deceiving yourself about the conjecture that Lagos belongs to everybody.
Who told u that am Igbo? All i can say is..u cant force or abracadabra someone to be ur loan guarantor... ...Lagos belongs to all.
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by PointB: 11:00am On Nov 29, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Okay, confirmed, you just fell my hand with this your countryman analysis.
Lagos is 'officially' 13.5 million people, while Kano is 'officially' 10 million people.
What does Kano pay to the federal coffers in VAT, compared to Lagos? I'm sure Lagos figures must dwarf Kano by a factor of 10:1.
What infrastructure has been built in Kano by the Kano state governments since 1999? Lagos has built roads,bridges, and is building an airport, light rail system, seaport, and free trade zone.

That your toll yarns is just dust. How many people are paying toll, one toll road in Eti-Osa LGA? Less than 2% of Lagosians are impacted by that toll road.
Abeg stop misyarning.

Guy stop grasping for straw. The project Lagos state government is pursuing should be within the context of its means and resources. If it is not, it should find other ways to raise funds. The external debt profile of the country is growing and those in charge are wary, and doing something about it. Fashola should quit politicizing the issue.
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by AjanleKoko: 11:02am On Nov 29, 2012
PointB:

Guy stop grasping for straw. The project Lagos state government is pursuing should be within the context it means and resources. If it is not, it should find other ways to raise funds. The external debt profile of the country is growing and those in charge are wary, and doing something about it. Fashola should quit politicizing the issue.

So this is what you can come up with?
Christ! Who are these people on Nairaland? Did they piss away their brains or something?
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by fyneguy: 11:19am On Nov 29, 2012
Is it me or the guarantee withdrawal is nonsensical?

What does it take the Ministry of Finance to deduct from the monthly allocation due to Lagos to offset the loan?

Please can somebody tell me what I don't know?
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by pipeewa(m): 11:19am On Nov 29, 2012
Nigerian Democracy is very costly! Very expensive. Money allocated and generated in each state in Nigeria in other part of the world is enof to finance all projects in the state. If well structured. Loan..spending the future today.
Its very embarassing seeing some pple fight for the government with passion. In this same state we are all working, sleeping and waking up. The same governors that look for a way to defend buying jets of $45m amidst oda spendings, O God we wait for deliverance in Nigeria.
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by naxxoxo(m): 11:24am On Nov 29, 2012
This your creativity with words is applaudable

Desola:

Hahaha...ajokutamamumi...but you are your father's son, are you not?

A baboon is not expected to act in a civilised manner, so please do humour me. You? An ibo? feeding me to a dracular? Where do you think you are? Umuahia zoo? I know that NL looks like the zoo, which is your natural habitat but be aware that there are zoo keepers here whose duty it is to make sure you do not misbehave. I keep the zoo and if you go too far, i'll put a nozzle on you. If you're good, i'll throw you a banana but if you go wild, i'll only decapitate you. Be warned!
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by mbulela: 11:25am On Nov 29, 2012
PointB:

Guy stop grasping for straw. The project Lagos state government is pursuing should be within the context of its means and resources. If it is not, it should find other ways to raise funds. The external debt profile of the country is growing and those in charge are wary, and doing something about it. Fashola should quit politicizing the issue.
the problem is debt being accumulated for non visible projects.
not debt in itself.
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by mbulela: 11:30am On Nov 29, 2012
PointB:

do you have a fundamental problem with borrowing from the world bank?
If you do, state it?
what makes other means of raising funds any better in this case (like raising cash from the capital market)?
The crux of the matter is, has LASG being servicing its debt?
the debt incurred in the past are its impact being felt by the citizenry?
any white elephant projects?
This is a simple economic case and i wonder how low we can go as a people if we choose to politicise this.
Besides, if the FG is placing a blanket ban on guaranteeing loans for states, it should come out and say so and Fashola would stop dancing around NASS members and go seek other ways of funding his projects.
I don't think Fashola is dumb enough to go to NASS if Ngozi et al have given him a proper response.
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by kpolli(m): 11:31am On Nov 29, 2012
How does he want to pay back?
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by AjanleKoko: 11:34am On Nov 29, 2012
mbulela:
do you have a fundamental problem with borrowing from the world bank?
If you do, state it?
what makes other means of raising funds any better in this case (like raising cash from the capital market)?
The crux of the matter is, has LASG being servicing its debt?
the debt incurred in the past are its impact being felt by the citizenry?
any white elephant projects?
This is a simple economic case and i wonder how low we can go as a people if we choose to politicise this.
Besides, if the FG is placing a blanket ban on guaranteeing loans for states, it should come out and say so and Fashola would stop dancing around NASS members and go seek other ways of funding his projects.
I don't think Fashola is dumb enough to go to NASS if Ngozi et al have given him a proper response.

You have time bros, debating with people who have a laborer's insight undecided
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by Demdem(m): 11:49am On Nov 29, 2012
In the course of the meeting with the House Committee, some lawmakers suggested that the action of the government may have been informed by the general fears that states were bad debtors and Lagos may have problems liquidating the loans. But Fashola dismissed such fears an unfounded and cited the case of his predecessor who took a loan facility and the state paid back fully

Eko oni baje lailai. How many killer states can boast of the above?
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by jjctonl: 12:16pm On Nov 29, 2012
PointB:

[size=14pt]Nigeria: Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Reps Approval of U.S.$9 Billion Borrowing Plan[/size][size=14pt][/size]

Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo- Iweala yesterday in Abuja urged the House of Representatives to approve a $9 billion external borrowing plan from 2012 to 2015.

Okonjo-Iweala, who is also the Coordinating Minister for the Economy, made this known at a meeting with the House Committee on Aids, Loans and Debt.

She said that the ministry had proposed to swap some existing loans to kick start other key projects like housing, mortgage financing, agriculture and water supply.

According to her, a Euro bond of $100 million would be sourced to attract Diaspora investment into the country.

The minister explained that the borrowing plans were specific operations aimed at supporting specific projects in different states of the federation.

She said that a proposal for $200 million has been made to support agriculture financing across the country.

Okonjo- Iweala said that $44 million was being sourced from the Islamic Development Bank (IDB) to also upgrade hospital facilities in Kaduna. However, the minister only gave details of $344 million but didn't disclose how the remaining $6.6 billion would sourced and used for.

The minister assured that the country's external borrowing profile was in good shape, adding that the Debt Management Office (DMO) was monitoring borrowing profiles of the 36 states to avoid the piling up of debts.

Rep. Adeyika Ajayi (ACN-Osun), the Chairman of the committee, said that the essence of the meeting was to get details of the request for additional borrowing plan as contained in the 2013 Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF).

Also yesterday, House Committee Chairman on Climate Change, Rep Eziuche Ubani, said the House has not fixed any specific date for the passage of the 2013 budget,

Ubani said that the National Assembly still has issues with the level of implementation of the 2012 budget.

"We are not satisfied with level of implementation of the 2012 budget across board so it is only reasonable that we insist on its full implementation. We are still carrying out oversight. There are a lot of capital projects that have not been awarded if you slam another budget by December there will be problem."

http://allafrica.com/stories/201211060883.html

PointB, based on your argument, why should FG borrow money with all the resources we have? Nigeria is the biggest 7th exporter of oil. So why are we borrowing? Can't we live within our means?

Okonjo Iweala, that refused Lagos State without any reason is proposing to borrow $9 billion. Is this not a case of double standard? It is clear that Jonathan and Okonjo Iweala are playing politics with this. I am not surprised because this is not the first time. The same PDP led FG frustrated Lagos State on Independent Power Project (IPP) and suspended Local Govt. funds for years. 2015 is fast approaching they will have to do something to capture Lagos.

PointB you are entitled to your opinion but it doesn't hold.
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by PointB: 12:21pm On Nov 29, 2012
jjc-to-nl:

PointB, based on your argument, why should FG borrow money with all the resources we have? Nigeria is the biggest 7th exporter of oil. So why are we borrowing? Can't we live within our means?

Okonjo Iweala, that refused Lagos State without any reason is proposing to borrow $9 billion. Is this not a case of double standard? It is clear that Jonathan and Okonjo Iweala are playing politics with this. I am not surprised because this is not the first time. The same PDP led FG frustrated Lagos State on Independent Power Project (IPP) and suspended Local Govt. funds for years. 2015 is fast approaching they will have to do something to capture Lagos.

PointB you are entitled to your opinion but it doesn't hold.

Where did my argument support FG borrowing?
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by Demdem(m): 12:29pm On Nov 29, 2012
PointB:

But they are, so if FG is borrowing why cant Lagos especially since Lagos isnt noted to be a bad debtor
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by jjctonl: 12:33pm On Nov 29, 2012
PointB:

I did not say you are supporting FG borrowing. But you supported the action of FG to stop Lagos State from borrowing. And my point is, there is no entity that will not have to borrow at one time or the other. As big as USA's economy is they still borrow. Okonjo and Jonathan are only playing politics. Period.
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by tarryT(m): 12:40pm On Nov 29, 2012
Demdem:

But they are, so if FG is borrowing why cant Lagos especially since Lagos isnt noted to be a bad debtor
Its good to note that u can make a coment without screeming ur fathers name.....thou fooooolish son of Retardeen.:p
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by Demdem(m): 12:42pm On Nov 29, 2012
tarryT: Its good to note that u can make a coment without screeming my fathers name.....me fooooolish son of Retardeen.:p

Fixed cool cool

1 Like

Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by PointB: 12:44pm On Nov 29, 2012
jjc-to-nl:

I did not say you are supporting FG borrowing. But you supported the action of FG to stop Lagos State from borrowing. And my point is, there is no entity that will not have to borrow at one time or the other. As big as USA's economy is they still borrow. Okonjo and Jonathan are only playing politics. Period.

The FG did not stop Lagos State from borrowing. Lagos State has already drawn part of the money, some $ 200 Million. However, the FG indicated the cannot guarantee further draw down, obviously because they have information not available to us. Now it is incumbent upon Lagos State to make it's case or seek alternative funding. But if you ask me, I think the Lagos State huge debt portfolio is largely unjustified. Lagos state recurrent expenses is still huge in ratio to the capital expenses. Shouldn't Fashola be doing something about it, as other state governor have done?

While presenting the budget, Mr Fashola said the Capital to Recurrent ratio of the budget stood at 54:46 as against 53:47 in 2012,
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by Nobody: 12:44pm On Nov 29, 2012
Personally, I don't have a problem with govt's taking loans because its been a constant trend over time. All I ask is for govt's to channel these loans into projects we can see and new developments that will improve the quality of lives.

Why should FG disapprove of LASG's loan, IMO Lagos has the fastest economical growth and new projects are kicking off on daily basis, Fashola is working and can reasonably justify every penny spent. Ogun State govt took loans worth incredible sums and are still in debts yet, no meaningful projects and development to show for it.

Fashola is working and deserves every single loan and allocation. FG should quit the political sentiments and let this man do his job
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by PointB: 12:46pm On Nov 29, 2012
flanrey: Personally, I don't have a problem with govt's taking loans because its been a constant trend over time. All I ask is for govt's to channel these loans into projects we can see and new developments that will improve the quality of lives.

Why should FG disapprove of LASG's loan, IMO Lagos has the fastest economical growth and new projects are kicking off on daily basis, Fashola is working and can reasonably justify every penny spent. Ogun State govt took loans worth incredible sums and are still in debts yet, no meaningful projects and development to show for it.

Fashola is working and deserves every single loan and allocation. FG should quit the political sentiments and let this man do his job

Which work is Fashola doing these days? Can you enumerate them?

How much does it take to water flowers these days by the way?
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by AjanleKoko: 12:50pm On Nov 29, 2012
PointB:

Which work is Fashola doing these days? Can you enumerate them?

How much does it take to water flowers these days by the way?

You are either living in a remote part of Nigeria with no access to TV or newspapers, or you don't live in Nigeria at all.
My conclusion.
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by PointB: 12:52pm On Nov 29, 2012
AjanleKoko:

You are either living in a remote part of Nigeria with no access to TV or newspapers, or you don't live in Nigeria at all.
My conclusion.

Says a card carrying AC.N goon!
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by enm(m): 12:55pm On Nov 29, 2012
So far so good i have been enlighten by the post on this tread but it will be out of place to say not dumbfounded by the display of low intelligent level of some people and it pains me that these people sees themselves to better than the so called retardan and retardaness uncle jona and aunty patience.

I will like some sane and intelligent people to please throw more light on how much the FG is deducting at source from the Lagos state monthly allocation to service both external and internal debts and how much is left after such deduction. The level of exposure of the FG in extension NIGERIA to the adverse effect of these states debt and please add debt owned by the local governments and how strong is our economy to withstand the effect and shock in case of default.

I hope somebody knowledgeable enough will come and help us out as am sure this will help us to look at the issue critically without a biased mind due to ethnicity, party affiliation, religion or lack of adequate knowledge on subject matter. I know some of you may disagree with me on this, that i find it irresistible to disbelieve fashola, that after unofficially communicating with ngozi, He was not given cogent reasons why the FG takes such a stand. This is politic at work for the uninformed mind.
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by Nobody: 12:58pm On Nov 29, 2012
PointB:

Says a card carrying AC.N goon!

Anyone who says anything good about Fashola is labelled an ACN goon! What kinda brainfarting is that? undecided
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by PointB: 1:00pm On Nov 29, 2012
naijababe:

Anyone who says anything good about Fashola is labelled an ACN goon! What kinda brainfarting is that? undecided

Obviously you have to come in aid your boyfriend huh?

Where is the goodness of Fashola mentioned in the thread I quoted? Or you think with your ar.se?

AjanleKoko:

My conclusion.
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by Nobody: 1:05pm On Nov 29, 2012
PointB:

Where is the goodness of Fashola mentioned in the thread I quoted? Or you think with your ar.se?

More brainfarting! Go and read your post again cause your haste to get the above off your fingers is affecting comprehension of your own post.
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by AjanleKoko: 1:06pm On Nov 29, 2012
naijababe:

Why bother with the countryman and his under-bridge ponmo analysis undecided

PointB:

Honestly, you need to keep these views of yours to the village market, or the meshayi. Don't be saying things like this around people with some small sense. Stop washing yourself o jare.
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by PointB: 1:12pm On Nov 29, 2012
naijababe:

More brainfarting! Go and read your post again cause your haste to get the above off your fingers is affecting comprehension of your own post.

Why dont you put you micro brain to use discussing the topic. I am not the topic. Perhaps you need a reminder:

FG has refused to guarantee Lagos State world bank loan request. Now you can spill your spleen on the topic. I have no time for you.
Re: Federal Govt, Stopped World Bank From Given More Loan To Lagos State Govt.. by PointB: 1:13pm On Nov 29, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Why bother with the countryman and his under-bridge ponmo analysis undecided

Honestly, you need to keep these views of yours to the village market, or the meshayi. Don't be saying things like this around people with some small sense. Stop washing yourself o jare.

Even it it beer parlour view, I reserve the right to bear them. Next ===>

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Would OBJ Have Handled Amaechi / Buhari Hosts Imams, Dines With Reps / APC Denies Zoning President To South

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.