Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,293 members, 7,829,669 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:20 AM

Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship (7377 Views)

When Is 2016 Census Coming Up? / Serve Nigerians, Not My Husband, Aishat Tells Buhari’s Aides / 40 Innoson Vehicles To Be Bought For 2016 Census - FEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by 1forall: 1:16pm On Nov 29, 2012
I searched for a source and found the report in ThisDay newspaper online here: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nigerians-not-captured-in-2016-census-will-lose-citizenship/132016/

I've also taken the liberty to post one of the comments made by a certain Moses Akinmuyiwa:

"You must be the biggest joker of the millennium. Do you think it is the government or any acts of its that give me the legitimacy of being a citizen of Nigeria? I am not a naturalized citizen of Naija, it is by birth. Census is a civic responsibility that everyone is encouraged to participate in. It is a moral persuasion, no one, I repeat, no one can force anyone to partake. Wake up my dear. This is the problem we have in Nigeria, when public officials just open their mouths and dish out rubbish that is even unfit for the dustbin. They just say things on impulse devoid of wisdom or any dexterity. They are even more "basket mouth" than the real Basket mouth himself. I weep for Naija."

Haha I don tire to dey laugh grin
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Lopezdee1: 1:22pm On Nov 29, 2012
[/b]
Sagewood: By Patrick Ugeh and Tobi Soniyi

Section 30(1)(2) and (3) of the 1999 Constitution provides that “the President may deprive a person, other than a person who is a citizen of Nigeria by birth or by registration, of his citizenship, if he is satisfied that such a person has, within a period of seven years after becoming naturalised, been sentenced to imprisonment for a term of not less than three years.

“The President shall deprive a person, other than a person who is citizen of Nigeria by birth, of his citizenship, if he is satisfied from the records of proceedings of a court of law or other tribunal or after due inquiry in accordance with regulations made by him, that - (a) the person has shown himself by act or speech to be disloyal towards the Federal Republic of Nigeria; or (b) the person has, during any war in which Nigeria was engaged, unlawfully traded with the enemy or been engaged in or associated with any business that was in the opinion of the president carried on in such a manner as to assist the enemy of Nigeria in that war, or unlawfully communicated with such enemy to the detriment of or with intent to cause damage to the interest of Nigeria.”

If only he took his time to consult the relevant section of the constistution, he will understand that certain category of citizenship (apart from naturalisation) is an inalienable right that cannot be denied under ANY cirmustance....God help us if these are the type of high ranking public officers we have.
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Urakhai(m): 1:27pm On Nov 29, 2012
Scratching my head cos I'm trying to find the relationship between citizenship and census.... Does it mean if a foreigner is counted he automatically becomes a citizen and if a citizen is not counted he loses his nigerian identity. This guy must be some kind of slowpoke. How did he get to become the head of the organisation when he obviously doesn't even know what census is all about. SMH...... I'm worried for Nigeria
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Lopezdee1: 1:31pm On Nov 29, 2012
Sagewood:
Odimegwu, who spoke at the second National Family Planning Conference in Abuja Wednesday, declared that the N600 billion needed to conduct the exercise, which would capture biometric data over five years, would be generated by the NPC from the sale of data to the private sector if the Federal Government cannot provide it.

Another new low in the history of Nigeria....when public body decides to sell data that it should be protecting jelously, God help us.
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by citizenisb: 2:06pm On Nov 29, 2012
FOR NIGERIAN YOUTHS TO BE DISCUSSING BIAFRA WHEN THE ELITE ARE OPENLY LOOTING BILLIONS OF DOLLARS MEANT FOR NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT IN 2012 GOES TO SHOW HOW DAFT WE ARE.

MANY ON THIS FORUM WHERE NOT EVEN ALIVE DURING THE CARNAGE SO IF YOU THINK THAT WAS GENOCIDE, A GREATER ONE VIA CORRUPTION IS HAPPENING NOW WITH HUNGER, UNEMPLOYMENT AND MASS DEATH OF WOMEN AND CHILDREN AT CHILDBIRTH AND MALARIA SCOURGES WHICH SHOULD HAVE BEEN HISTORY IF NOT FOR BAD LEADERSHIP.

LET US KEEP ON PLAYING TO OUR LEADERS TUNES SINCE WE LOVE TO CONFIRM HOW DAFT WE ARE : TALKING OF BIAFRA WHEN SINCE 1999 WE HAVE HAD MORE MONEY THAN OUR ENTIRE HISTORY COMBINED TO HAVE TRANSFORMED US TO BRAZIL OR SOUTH KOREA, IT IS A PITY!!
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by gwhizy283(m): 2:22pm On Nov 29, 2012
:PI pray....come carry me comot for whr I dey enjoy my life
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Nobody: 2:40pm On Nov 29, 2012
free2ryhme: What happen to Nigerians abroad? Foolish thinking!!!
thank u jare! illegal niajas outside ar more than d legals outside! f he says naijas outside shuld go embasy t register, how will d millions of illegal naijas do that?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by EvilBrain1(m): 3:04pm On Nov 29, 2012
Nobody has even noticed the most crazy thing that he guy said: They plan to sell our census data to private companies.

Let me repeat, they plan to sell! the private information of millions of Nigerians to the highest bidder so that evil corporations, identity thieves, stalkers and hired killers will find it much easier to track us.

Its not bad enough that the last set of rêtards ruling us handed over the last census database over to the Americans without asking any questions. Now they want to sell the next one.

Congratulations, sir, you just guaranteed that I will not be participating in your next census. The government can take my citizenship if they want. They can kiss my àss while they're at it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 29, 2012
Evil Brain: Nobody has even noticed the most crazy thing that he guy said: They plan to sell our census data to private companies.

The NPC chairman's remarks shows he's been sold a ruse about the potential of "data markets" in Nigeria, much like Ibrahim Lamorde (EFCC Chairman) who recently became an advocate of polygraph machines.

Census: marketing tool or obsolete?(England and Wales)
The census is expected to cost £500m to carry out, but, as most of the resultant data is published free, little of this can be recouped. Extra tables can be requested at a typical cost of about £150 each, but even CACI bought only one extra data set from the last census - to glean the number and location of those who stated 'Jedi' as their religion.
Source
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by wawaboy1(m): 4:25pm On Nov 29, 2012
Lopezdee1:

Another new low in the history of Nigeria....when public body decides to sell data that it should be protecting jelously, God help us.
this man is really a salesman. Just hope he will not sell my data to antichrist
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by slimpoppa(m): 4:48pm On Nov 29, 2012
Jerie: 600 Billion to count 150 million people?

I tire o
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Nobody: 5:09pm On Nov 29, 2012
He thinks he is still running nigerian breweries. let him focus and state goals that are realistic. but good thinking anyway!!!!
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by deolumike(m): 5:11pm On Nov 29, 2012
I'm so scared grin[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by geez1: 6:00pm On Nov 29, 2012

Who gives a damn as long as I have my blue passport

Won't mind an Oduduwa passport though
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Nobody: 6:03pm On Nov 29, 2012
Which kind of public servant is this threatening people with revoking their natural right? Is he mad? This is something an uneducated and ignorant person will say. If you threaten such in truly democratic nation, you lose your job, your status and forever denied any involvement in the life of the people you belong to.

You are suppose to be preaching the importance of getting counted no matter what not threatening your masters (the people)..

All these fuckin degree holding illiterates are waste of scarce academic resource.. Who da hell sent this guy to school? Faaakk!

In a nation close to the edge and about to collapse cause of looming revolutions, a public servant is threatening the people that may come kill him someday when they are fed up?

This one is an illiterate..

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by bigtt76(f): 6:06pm On Nov 29, 2012
Former Nigerian Breweries Chairman ....after effect of many years on one brand - Star! Shine Shine bobo
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by egbetokuns(m): 8:48pm On Nov 29, 2012
Hhaaa nairalan I know this is interesting topic. I don laugh tire and I'm appreciate Ɣ☺ΰ guys. All nija wnt loose their citizenship coz na bad country
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Xfactoria: 9:02pm On Nov 29, 2012
Amazing! What I have been reading here is amazing!

People are bashing Festus Odumegwu without sitting down to consider the import of why he made the statement on withdrawal of citizenship albeit incorrectly. I have seen on this thread, some of the most irresponsible comments that suggest disloyalty to a country we are part of whether by providence or otherwise. Everybody has a role to play in nation building and I think the NPC boss spoke rather out of emotion and frustration that people in Nigeria do not take things like this with the seriousness it deserves. Guys, we should look beyond the validity of the supposed threat and get ready to contribute something to the development of this nation. We cannot over-emphasize the importance of a good and reliable census figure in planning and making major government decisions.

To some of us that are already planning to frustrate the exercise, please for once, let us demonstrate committment to the development of this country beyond complaining and criticising the President, politicians etc by participating in the census.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by dokunbam(m): 10:14pm On Nov 29, 2012
searay: ... And they will be deported to where?

Cameroon, Niger, Republic of Benin or Bakassi Peninsular
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by 1forall: 10:23pm On Nov 29, 2012
X-factoria:
Amazing! What I have been reading here is amazing!

People are bashing Festus Odumegwu without sitting down to consider the import of why he made the statement on withdrawal of citizenship albeit incorrectly. I have seen on this thread, some of the most irresponsible comments that suggest disloyalty to a country we are part of whether by providence or otherwise. Everybody has a role to play in nation building and I think the NPC boss spoke rather out of emotion and frustration that people in Nigeria do not take things like this with the seriousness it deserves. Guys, we should look beyond the validity of the supposed threat and get ready to contribute something to the development of this nation. We cannot over-emphasize the importance of a good and reliable census figure in planning and making major government decisions.

To some of us that are already planning to frustrate the exercise, please for once, let us demonstrate committment to the development of this country beyond complaining and criticising the President, politicians etc by participating in the census.

I dey wait and hope to read the comment(s) wey go reply this because I know say I go laugh wella grin
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by israel007: 11:22pm On Nov 29, 2012
Same line, same story., same threat. Lose Nigerian citizenship? So what. Na America wey person dey fear to lose papers? Stop all this threat.

Story- hype- noise abt subject- carry out project- excuses as to why it wasn't successful then- more stories in prep for next exercise. It's a circle.

Nobody dey fear to lose that on so, moving on.
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by israel007: 11:24pm On Nov 29, 2012
Too much beer on his system.
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Nobody: 11:58pm On Nov 29, 2012
Evil Brain: Nobody has even noticed the most crazy thing that he guy said: They plan to sell our census data to private companies.

[size=16pt]Let me repeat, they plan to sell! the private information of millions of Nigerians to the highest bidder so that evil corporations, identity thieves, stalkers and hired killers will find it much easier to track us.[/size]

Its not bad enough that the last set of rêtards ruling us handed over the last census database over to the Americans without asking any questions. Now they want to sell the next one.

Congratulations, sir, you just guaranteed that I will not be participating in your next census. The government can take my citizenship if they want. They can kiss my àss while they're at it.

that is what go me very upset. angry
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by jaymichael(m): 1:26am On Nov 30, 2012
666 tinz.
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by EKARO(m): 1:29am On Nov 30, 2012
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Dede1(m): 2:48am On Nov 30, 2012
Please can someone inform Mr. Festus Odimegwu that he a nincompoop? He can shove Nigeria and its citizenship. The so-called moronic leaders of Nigeria can not properly organize the daily sweeping of a market square talk less of accounting for correct demography of the people. This is another wasteful exercise designed to embezzle money.
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by koruji(m): 3:37am On Nov 30, 2012
That is Nigerian government for you.
Illiterates at the helms of power.
Aba Father...I am tired of this mess!!!

1forall: Shey una see the kain people wey dey run tins for naija now?
In case you didn't know Mr Ignoramus Population Chairman, citizenship once attained; is unconditional.

Even in the portion of the constitution quoted

There's nowhere where it's implied that citizenship can be forfeited by not taking part in a census (it even sounds ridiculous). If there was any such provision in the constitution it would be absurd - that would be the kind of thing the NASS should be amending (and not the presidency's feeding budget!).

As far as I know, taking part in a headcount is a civic duty (just like voting), and every one actually wants to be counted cos its a natural instinct, so quit the empty threats sir!

The last 2006 census na so dem say make we no comot house for 1 week I wait so tey nobody reach my house for Lagos, dat one nko? Nigerians wey go travel during the census excercise nko? And those wey full for diaspora nko?

Extreme foolish talk.
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Akanbiedu(m): 9:34am On Nov 30, 2012
koruji: That is Nigerian government for you.
Illiterates at the helms of power.
Aba Father...I am tired of this mess!!!

What does this tell us about the literates?
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by REVOLUTNIS: 10:52pm On Dec 11, 2012
As if there is any good in being a nigerian citizen

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PDP, AD & Others Did Not Challenge Ondo Polls At Tribunal As 21 Days Elapses / Yobe PDP Leaders Decamped To APC (Photos) / PIX: See What Vanguard Newspaper Posted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.