Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,879 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:25 PM

Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship (7371 Views)

When Is 2016 Census Coming Up? / Serve Nigerians, Not My Husband, Aishat Tells Buhari’s Aides / 40 Innoson Vehicles To Be Bought For 2016 Census - FEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Sagewood: 6:51am On Nov 29, 2012
By Patrick Ugeh and Tobi Soniyi

In a statement bound to raise dust and certain to conflict with the constitution, the Chairman of the National Population Commission (NPC), Mr. Festus Odimegwu, has said any Nigerian who is not captured in the next demographic survey beginning next year will not be recognised as a citizen of Nigeria, after the 2016 national population census.

Section 30(1)(2) and (3) of the 1999 Constitution provides that “the President may deprive a person, other than a person who is a citizen of Nigeria by birth or by registration, of his citizenship, if he is satisfied that such a person has, within a period of seven years after becoming naturalised, been sentenced to imprisonment for a term of not less than three years.

“The President shall deprive a person, other than a person who is citizen of Nigeria by birth, of his citizenship, if he is satisfied from the records of proceedings of a court of law or other tribunal or after due inquiry in accordance with regulations made by him, that - (a) the person has shown himself by act or speech to be disloyal towards the Federal Republic of Nigeria; or (b) the person has, during any war in which Nigeria was engaged, unlawfully traded with the enemy or been engaged in or associated with any business that was in the opinion of the president carried on in such a manner as to assist the enemy of Nigeria in that war, or unlawfully communicated with such enemy to the detriment of or with intent to cause damage to the interest of Nigeria.”

In addition, Odimegwu said two no-go areas in the last census – religion and ethnicity – would be included in the next one scheduled for 2016.

Odimegwu, who spoke at the second National Family Planning Conference in Abuja Wednesday, declared that the N600 billion needed to conduct the exercise, which would capture biometric data over five years, would be generated by the NPC from the sale of data to the private sector if the Federal Government cannot provide it.

“This is a commission (under his headship) where everything will work,” he said.

“You have to know religion and ethnic numbers for the country to work... We will raise money from the sale of data to the private sector to run the agency. The data base will help in national planning,” he added.

Noting that Nigeria’s population is an asset rather than a liability, as was being orchestrated at the second national family planning conference, Odimegwu said having an effective demographic system with biometric information would help in tackling the many problems of the country, including security, healthcare delivery, education and the economy.

Countering arguments that high population was an issue, Odimegwu said: “There is nothing in Nigeria that is better than our population... No great country is there without their population. That is why China, India and the United States are great.

“The issue is not the size of our population. The problem is the quality of people. If we take care of the quality of life, it will take care of the quantity. A PhD holder will have no need for 16 children.”

He said Nigeria could not develop if it continued planning as it does now, as it requires demographic data to plan properly.

For this reason, he said the NPC had set up a demographic data base structure, adding that they would produce reliable demographic data base that would cover 200,000 communities in the country.
“Anybody that is not covered in that census will not be part of Nigeria,” he said.

A five-year architecture for the purpose of gathering data had been approved by President Goodluck Jonathan, he further disclosed.

Odimegwu described the current situation where different government agencies conducted exercises to obtain biometric data was needless, saying his organisation is planning to have all of them pooled and managed by NPC.

Stating that the commission was going to work as a private sector organisation, he said: “If government is not going to give us money, we will raise money; we will adopt the private sector attitude, not civil service one.

“The system we want to employ will be corruption-free. We won’t tolerate mediocrity because of federal character.”
He decried the practice of the commission which deploys its 36 commissioners to the states where they collect salaries without working for the Nigerian state, saying it was a form of corruption.

For this reason, he had to order them back to the headquarters where they are now working, he said.
Speaking at the event, the Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu said the issue of the quality and quantity of population was like that of the chicken and egg, since a large population without the means to cater for the people was a problem.

“When Eze has two children and his maiguard (security man) has 20, it is not good,” he said.

The theme of the five-day conference is Population and National Development aimed at improving access to family planning information and services in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Kobojunkie: 6:57am On Nov 29, 2012
Countering arguments that high population was an issue, Odimegwu said: “There is nothing in Nigeria that is better than our population... No great country is there without their population. That is why China, India and the United States are great.

“The issue is not the size of our population. The problem is the quality of people. If we take care of the quality of life, it will take care of the quantity. A PhD holder will have no need for 16 children.”

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by FASTLINK1: 7:02am On Nov 29, 2012
Noted
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by nedu2000(m): 7:04am On Nov 29, 2012
For this reason, he said the NPC had set
up a demographic data base structure,
adding that they would produce reliable
demographic data base that would cover
200,000 communities in the country.
“Anybody that is not covered in that
census will not be part of Nigeria,” he
said............................hope 200,000 isn't the limit,considering his arrogance in the latter statement
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by djeezy(m): 7:05am On Nov 29, 2012
Ok
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by TonySpike: 7:12am On Nov 29, 2012
It is okay.
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by mankevo(m): 7:16am On Nov 29, 2012
At least this comment has made me to know him and the position he occupies in Naija.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by deesnipes(f): 7:18am On Nov 29, 2012
“The system we want to employ will be corruption-free. We won’t tolerate mediocrity because of federal character

Definitely waiting to  how that will be achieved.
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Standing5(m): 7:31am On Nov 29, 2012
The Federal character principle is already there to encourage population growth, whether genuine or false. I see another isolated move that may end up not addressing the goal of the cencus excercise.
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Clerverly: 7:48am On Nov 29, 2012
Mbok, what does a citizen benefit from Nigeria

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by ebere1712: 7:54am On Nov 29, 2012
what data are they going to sell to raise revenue.
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by malele(m): 7:55am On Nov 29, 2012
That means many people will reject been counted so that dey can lose 9ja what ever

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by deportee(m): 8:12am On Nov 29, 2012
o di egwu
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Nobody: 8:20am On Nov 29, 2012
Interesting! I will assume U.S. Citizenship.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by otokx(m): 8:21am On Nov 29, 2012
See why it is not good to drink expired beer.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Nobody: 8:22am On Nov 29, 2012
[size=22pt]as if there is any free gift with being a Nigerian[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by poweredcom(m): 8:23am On Nov 29, 2012
I will not register ok make dem go call police

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by k10: 8:24am On Nov 29, 2012
Is he sure he will still be in office by that time ?
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by CrazyMan(m): 8:24am On Nov 29, 2012
Clerverly: Mbok, what does a citizen benefit from Nigeria
Good question...

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Yinka1808: 8:24am On Nov 29, 2012
Ok, no wahala, we don here.
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by CohenJane: 8:26am On Nov 29, 2012
malele: That means many people will reject been counted so that dey can lose 9ja what ever

Abi o! This is a big opportunity to choose another country for yourself ... Just petition the UN, and they will ask you to choose which country you wan belong to? I no go do pass myself, make them just carry me go Ghana, I beg.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by trent9002(m): 8:28am On Nov 29, 2012
Fvck you. I've got Canadian citizenship

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 29, 2012
Minion: My King! What can you say about this?
Hades: This government lacks inspiration ooo!! Cant they threaten the people with something better? Like an increase in price of Garri or something
Minion: Dont mind them,My Lord! Na so me sef see am

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by searay(m): 8:31am On Nov 29, 2012
... And they will be deported to where?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Nobody: 8:32am On Nov 29, 2012
Foolish man, does he think Nigerians are afraid to lose dia citizenship status, some will choose to lose it than loosing oil jobs.
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by free2ryhme: 8:34am On Nov 29, 2012
What happen to Nigerians abroad? Foolish thinking!!!

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by donlyone(m): 8:35am On Nov 29, 2012
finally I will be deported to my country AMERICA lol

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Techwriter: 8:37am On Nov 29, 2012
In addition, Odimegwu said two no-go areas in the last census – religion and ethnicity – would be included in the next one scheduled for 2016

I pray the implementation will be as transparent as we are told so we can for once rest this controvery that Nigeria has 60% muslims and only 40% Christians. It is making many tourists and international organizations to be afraid of Nigeria.

Eze having lesser children than his maiguard is more of a religious and cultural issue than it is of education.
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Kslib(m): 8:39am On Nov 29, 2012
Abeg oh,i am afraid to loose my citizenship of this great country oh!!! Seriously,when the registrattion starts,i will be the first to register.. I cant afford not to be a Nigerian...
There's just something special about being a Nigerian that i can't explain..
E no easy to carry Naija blood for vein...

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by OjujuCalabar(m): 8:41am On Nov 29, 2012
My suggestion. Before the next census exercise, Population should be removed as one of the criteria for distributing Federation Account. This will guide against states unnecessarily inflating the number of people residence the such state. cool cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by BetaThings: 8:43am On Nov 29, 2012
Sagewood: By Patrick Ugeh and Tobi Soniyi

Odimegwu, who spoke at the second National Family Planning Conference in Abuja Wednesday, declared that the N600 billion[/b] needed to conduct the exercise, which would capture biometric data over five years, would be generated by the NPC from the [b]sale of data to the private sector if the Federal Government cannot provide it.

“Anybody that is not covered in that census will not be part of Nigeria,” he said.
N600b is a lot to be used to deliberately reduce population of certain classes of people (or certain part of Nigeria) by exclusion
Why don't they just adopt the Okar approach and excise part of the country or which Asari Dokubo say they want anyway
That is cheaper and faster. This convoluted approach is tedious!

Sagewood: By Patrick Ugeh and Tobi Soniyi

“The system we want to employ will be corruption-free. We won’t tolerate mediocrity because of federal character.
He decried the practice of the commission which deploys its 36 commissioners to the states where they collect salaries without working for the Nigerian state, saying it was a form of corruption.

For this reason, he had to order them back to the headquarters where they are now working, he said.
Speaking at the event, the Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu said the issue of the quality and quantity of population was like that of the chicken and egg, since a large population without the means to cater for the people was a problem.

“When Eze has two children and his maiguard (security man) has 20, it is not good,” he said.

The theme of the five-day conference is Population and National Development aimed at improving access to family planning information and services in Nigeria.
So
1. Only the people that are efficient at yahoo that would do this job
2. The preconceived problem that requires an "urgent" Solution (I remember Hitler) is clear

I have always said that people who say GEJ is clueless don't understand him

Today, our unity is firm, and our purpose is strong. Our determination unshakable. Together, we will unite our nation and improve the living standards of all our peoples whether in the North or in the South; in the East or in the West. Our decade of development has begun. The march is on. The day of transformation begins today. We will not allow anyone exploit differences in creed or tongue, to set us one against another.
- President Jonathan, 29 May 2011
....From the records
Re: Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship by Revolva(m): 8:44am On Nov 29, 2012
Well I really want to loose my nigerian citizenship ooo I have been praying for this over a long time - hey ope !!!oo **singin and dancin azonto**

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obiano Vs Amosun ( So Much For Yolobas Leaders) / Benue Killings: President Buhari Meets With Senate Leaders In Aso Villa / See Moment Sanwo-Olu Signs The Order On VIO, LASTMA & LAWMA, Tours Alausa - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.