Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,718 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:34 PM

How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. (10146 Views)

10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents / Help A Jealous Wife / 12 Ways On How To Relate With Your In-laws (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by maingwaest(f): 3:55pm On Nov 29, 2012
jajad:

Oh ho! The real story pokes its ugly head out of a hole.
exactly. @ op u never talk who dey jelouse who and over what.:>
Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by ferhyntorlah(f): 4:21pm On Nov 29, 2012
Rustic: I'm nt bn paranoid in any way. Recently, he accused me of wasting money buying unnecessary thing, bt I told him its wat I want and my choice. Bt he wl go and buy a more costlier one than me, upon he's d one that told me that he wl never waste his money on such things.

Bingo! Voila! Spot on! at the bolded. That is one of the traits of a jealous person. Condemning what you have, saying it's a waste of money, resource, energy bla bla bla only for he/her to do exactly the same thing you've done or even more to feel they are more blessed or better than you.

Always seeing you as their competitor/rival. I learnt this from my dad & mom a long time ago. The same thing happened to them also.

Let me give you an example of one or two:
1. My mom used to have this friend then. They both worked in the same place and shared the same office; they were very close. She saw my mom as a competitor that whatever my mom did, she must do too.

This woman had stopped child bearing for like 5/6yrs. When my mom became pregnant of me, she too also got pregnant also. Can you imagine! shocked

2. When I was in Primary 5, my mom collected entrance form of a secondary school she wanted me to attend. When this woman knew about it, she too also got the form for her son(the one she became pregnant with due to copying my mom).

So this traits have been in existence long before we were born. Even after we have gone, it will still continue. I just hope people take time to know the kinds of people they call friends.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by baby124: 4:28pm On Nov 29, 2012
Keep them very far, only on a hi hi basis. Give no personal information whatsoever. And if i feel the person is too interested in my life, then i cut off all forms of communication. A jealous friend will kill you one day. The day you do the one that they cannot do, will be the beginning of your downfall.

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 29, 2012
Reason Y I dont keep friends.
Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by Clemzy16(m): 5:53pm On Nov 29, 2012
There is a difference between jealous and envious. With what you stated about him, it goes a long way to show that he's not really your close friends as you claimed. He's just with you because of what he can get from you, but there is nothing to be afraid of; just have it in mind that he is not your friend.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by ennkey(f): 6:10pm On Nov 29, 2012
I am in a similar situation myself. I have a friend who is always jealous

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by Nobody: 6:28pm On Nov 29, 2012
It's difficult to just drop a close friend especially if you've known each other for a long time but in your case I think you just have to cut links with him. I've been told it's difficult for men to do that, don't know how true this is. In my case, I do it instantly and I don't look back. I've had friends I've had to DROP for this very same reason - Jealousy. I can't stand petty jealousies.
I'd rather have a handful of friends who positively influence me rather than have a million "friends" who get jealous and killing your confidence in the process.

If I were you I'd slowly cut links with him. If you meet on a daily basis, reduce the frequency to weekly, then monthly, then twice a year.....etc
Just say "hello" and talk about the weather and politics when you meet. Personally I hate to stick around poisonous "friends". He'll drain your energies if you keep him around. Just drop him even if he's your "boy".

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by Rustic: 8:50pm On Nov 29, 2012
@all,thank u for the advise,happy to hear that some hv experienced such and hw the dealt wt it.
Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by bigfat: 9:59pm On Nov 29, 2012
[size=15pt]U GUYS DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY ...WE ALL NEED SOMEONE TO CONFINE IN AT ONE TIME OR THE OTHER IN THIS LIFE ,WHY DON'T YOU STAY SINGLE AND SEARCHING FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE ?
[/size]
Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by Dipwater(m): 10:05pm On Nov 29, 2012
@rustic
Wow ,interesting. I think u shuld gradually pull out of that relationship ,a jealous fella can be so consume in jealousy and it might lead to something else .do it in a way that it will not hurt him.am giving u this advice based on ur kind of person

I have never xperienced such in my life ,but I have a friend that is sooo talented and blessed in every thing he does,he has the sweatest voice,very handsome,witty ,a ladies man etc. His only problem is envious people .whenever we are in a joint babes wuld be around him like a king .these made some of our friends to be jealous of him. I have heard envious remarks about him ,that lead to a heated argument between some of our friends and I.some friends are so insecure with a very poor self esteem , I don't know what u will have that will make me joblessly jealous of u . I think jealous friends have low self esteem .

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by omoolutl: 1:19am On Nov 30, 2012
Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by dejialam(m): 2:03am On Nov 30, 2012
Rustic: There is this close friend of mine whom I share my secrets wt bt he's always jealous of me especially wen I purchased a new thing.
Hw do I handle the situation cos am nt happy seeing my close friend bn jealous of my achievements. I dnt want my fellow colleagues to notice we are nt too close again cus they all knw hw close we are.
Any idea on hw to handle the situation?
i dnt tink u've got a frnd yet. any close person who is jealous of ur achievement is definetely nt ur frnd and I will advise u 2 drop him/her.
Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by Nobody: 5:06am On Nov 30, 2012
Rustic: There is this close friend of mine whom I share my secrets wt bt he's always jealous of me especially wen I purchased a new thing.
Hw do I handle the situation cos am nt happy seeing my close friend bn jealous of my achievements. I dnt want my fellow colleagues to notice we are nt too close again cus they all knw hw close we are.

Ok.....you KNOW this man does not have it in his heart to be happy for you, yet you still consider and roll with him as a friend?

NO WAY IN HELL! grin
Lose him. Asap.

Who cares what the other friends think. Keep your enemies close..but not literally! tongue

#BrutusCeasarHELLO?!
Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by Nobody: 5:41am On Nov 30, 2012
Nothing good ever comes out of a jealous/envious friend, such person ll always see u as a competitor which is not supposed 2 be... In a nutshell, keep ur distance 4rm such person. You said something about confronting him, 2 tell him dat y is he jealous of u Dat aint needed 4 real coz dat ll only make him run his mouth silly about u wen u start keeping distance. Just avoid him on d excuse of being busy, and u discuss personal issues with him. An envious person is ready 2 pop d most expensive Champagne jess bcoz u re in a mess,it gives dem joy 2 see u fall! Distance urself from dat friend. #GBAM

1 Like

Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by pinky21(f): 6:58am On Nov 30, 2012
Hmmmm. I tink we re on d same page right nw. My advice is stp telling too much secrets and achievements,u don't ve to end d relationship cos he wil b useful somday. For his wife stil freestyle wit her as normal. Dats al

1 Like

Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by Rustic: 7:00am On Nov 30, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

Ok.....you KNOW this man does not have it in his heart to be happy for you, yet you still consider and roll with him as a friend?

NO WAY IN HELL! grin
Lose him. Asap.

Who cares what the other friends think. Keep your enemies close..but not literally! tongue

#BrutusCeasarHELLO?!
he didn't show this trait for the past years we hv bn friends because I was nothing then,life was difficult for me then. All this his attitude started just last year when my life started taking a positive turn and signs of progress manifesting.
I hv learnt smting in life concerning this and that is.
"you cn never know who is ur true friend until u are progressing".

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by holusormi(m): 10:22am On Nov 30, 2012
and why won't he be jealous of u when u are constantly rubbing off your success in his face ?..u might not be doing it intentionally buh if he's jealous of u, then it's cos u are giving him reasons to...try not to talk about how well things are going for u to him,, just downplay your successes anytime you are with him, tell him about non existent fuckups, tell him a fake story of how u lost a deal or a fake story of how a woman dissed and embarrassed u on the road,,, just don't be a super-man anytime u guys are around each other,, friends like that always have their uses, trust me...he had more usefulness than uselessness,, use his envy to your advantage..,,..use him well, his envy won't make him realize u are using his ass.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by ebichy(f): 11:02am On Nov 30, 2012
I have found myslf in d same shoes my dear nd am so confused coz I tuk diz girl not only as a friend but a sister now I got to knw dt she is rily a snake in a green grass. I hv actually decided to forget her nd move on despite d fact dt she tuk wt rily mattered to me , I forgive her nd move on with my life witout her. So my advice is forget him and move on coz friends dnt worth it.
Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by chidyke77(m): 11:38am On Nov 30, 2012
holusormi: and why won't he be jealous of u when u are constantly rubbing off your success in his face ?..u might not be doing it intentionally buh if he's jealous of u, then it's cos u are giving him reasons to...try not to talk about how well things are going for u to him,, just downplay your successes anytime you are with him, tell him about non existent fuckups, tell him a fake story of how u lost a deal or a fake story of how a woman dissed and embarrassed u on the road,,, just don't be a super-man anytime u guys are around each other,, friends like that always have their uses, trust me...he had more usefulness than uselessness,, use his envy to your advantage..,,..use him well, his envy won't make him realize u are using his ass.
i agree wt ur advise to him,he should tell him more of his regrets than success. Such friends are better to display ur moment of sorrow to than happiness and u cn fake it. They derive pleasure in seeing ur downfall than ur progress bt wl pretend they are wt u.
Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by uwa1(m): 5:45pm On Nov 30, 2012
Nezan:

''Of all the disorders of the soul, envy is the only one no one confesses to.'' -Plutarch, c. A.D. 46-120

Datz true
Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by Nobody: 10:30pm On Dec 01, 2012
Rustic: he didn't show this trait for the past years we hv bn friends because I was nothing then,life was difficult for me then. All this his attitude started just last year when my life started taking a positive turn and signs of progress manifesting.
I hv learnt smting in life concerning this and that is.
"you cn never know who is ur true friend until u are progressing".

tell me about it bro.
tell me about it!!! I have been there.

but now that you know what kind of person he is,
abeg slowly retract from the "relationship" you two have.
Seriously. He heart is not well towards you and jealousy is the cause
for much of the brutality human beings commit each day. It's worse than AIDS! undecided
Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by Ndipe(m): 10:55pm On Dec 01, 2012

Dump this close 'friend' of yours.
Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by Nobody: 11:16pm On Dec 01, 2012
Ndipe:

Dump this close 'friend' of yours.

end of!! cool

1 Like

Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by Nobody: 9:40am On Dec 02, 2012
holusormi: and why won't he be jealous of u when u are constantly rubbing off your success in his face ?..u might not be doing it intentionally buh if he's jealous of u, then it's cos u are giving him reasons to...try not to talk about how well things are going for u to him,, just downplay your successes anytime you are with him, tell him about non existent fuckups, tell him a fake story of how u lost a deal or a fake story of how a woman dissed and embarrassed u on the road,,, just don't be a super-man anytime u guys are around each other,, friends like that always have their uses, trust me...he had more usefulness than uselessness,, use his envy to your advantage..,,..use him well, his envy won't make him realize u are using his ass.

Best post so far.
Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by InvertedHammer: 11:25pm On Dec 02, 2012
It depends...are you showing him new stuff OR are you rubbing it in his face.
If your friend is dire financial situation (you didn't tell us) and you keep rubbing off your new material
acquisitions in his face...then I don't who is worse: YOU or HIM
Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by obowunmi(m): 12:01am On Dec 03, 2012
@ OP: I've had a friend like this. We went on vacation together and I was determined to have fun. I spent so much money until and he started shouting that I was spending money like a 'mad' man - he said its stolen money blaaah blaah - I flew out the next morning. I didn't care how much the ticket cost me. I thanked him for coming (mind you I paid for his ticket) and cut him off, he came back apologizing, I like someone said LONG SPOON.

The heart is man is very wicked. Just move on and stop telling the person anything. Life is short.
Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by slimyem: 12:50am On Dec 03, 2012
Area_boy:

what if he doesnt have a neighbour shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

or even worse, none of his neighbours kids are around 5years old. They are all grown up shocked shocked shocked shocked

Oh my lord!! what would he do grin grin
lmao...
This shite is funny!!!
Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by Lasinoh: 9:57am On Dec 03, 2012
Just avoid the 'e-badu belle and e jolosi' and damn what people will say!
You owe no barry any explanation! Period!
Let the world go and befriend the 'virus' and catch the 'disease' associated with jealousy. . . WHICH MIGHT LEAD TO DEATH!
Jealousy is like poison!
FLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! kiss
Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by Jellitah: 11:11am On Feb 08, 2013
Lasinoh: Just avoid the 'e-badu belle and e jolosi' and damn what people will say!
You owe no barry any explanation! Period!
Let the world go and befriend the 'virus' and catch the 'disease' associated with jealousy. . . WHICH MIGHT LEAD TO DEATH!
Jealousy is like poison!
FLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! kiss

AMEN. . . LASSSY BABY!!!
I don't go near such poisonous snakes!!! grin
Re: How Do You Relate With A Jealous Close Friend. by tpia5: 7:21am On Nov 24, 2013
Hmmm

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Contract Marriage Really A Good Idea? / How Did You Prevent Your Parents' Toxic Marriage From Affecting Yours? / She's A Grandmother -- At Age 23!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.