Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,212 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:26 AM

Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics (9607 Views)

Watch Your Cream For Hydroquinone.-(dangers Of Hydroquinone.) / The Hidden Dangers Of Taking Too Much Paracetamol / Hidden Dangers And Grievous Effects Of self-service (M.ASTURBATION) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by supereagle(m): 10:41pm On Nov 29, 2012
Dangerous Ingredients to Watch Out For in Cosmetics

The manufacturing and selling of cosmetics is a multi-billion dollar industry. Although cosmetics manufacturing has improved greatly over time and fewer toxic compounds are utilized, many products still contain lead, mercury, and other hazardous chemicals. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not fully regulate safety of either U.S.- or foreign-made cosmetic products. This slideshow covers a few chemicals that you should look out for in your cosmetics

Lead Acetate

Lead is a highly toxic metal associated with neurological and organ toxicity. It also can play a role in cancer development. Lead poisoning is exceptionally dangerous for children. Although the FDA has requirements with regards to lead in certain dyes, it does not have stringent regulations on lead found in other cosmetics, such as lipstick. Imported cosmetics may also have high lead content. For safety, keep all cosmetics away from children

Mercury Compounds

The FDA regulates the use of mercury compounds for use as a preservative in eye shadow and other eye makeup. Certain skin-whitening creams may also be contaminated with mercury. Mercury is a very toxic element that can be absorbed through the skin, which in turn can cause damage to the brain. There is some controversial scientific evidence that links mercury exposure to autism in children

Triclosan

Triclosan is a compound commonly found in anti-bacterial products such as soap, lotions, and toothpaste. Triclosan overuse in society is thought to be one cause of the increased rise in antibiotic resistant bacteria. Triclosan is considered safe for humans, but the FDA is presently reviewing animal research that supports potentially harmful effects of triclosan, including altering hormone levels in the body, potentially affecting reproduction, child development, and cancer.

Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen that occurs naturally at low levels, but is commonly used as embalming fluid to preserve bodies after death. Higher levels of this compound can be irritating to the skin and exacerbate asthma. Formaldehyde is also found in certain cosmetics, particularly nail-hardeners. Use products with formaldehyde in a well-ventilated room, and keep them away from children

1,4-dioxane

Low levels of 1,4-dioxane, a byproduct of chemical manufacturing, are found in many cosmetics. 1,4-dioxane induces cancer in rats, and exceptionally high levels may cause organ damage in humans. The FDA assures the level of 1,4-dioxane in cosmetics poses no harm to humans, but the actual health effects of 1,4-dioxane are not fully understood. Avoiding products with these ingredients: PEG, polyethylene, polyethylene glycol, polyoxyethylene, polyethoxyethylene, and polyoxynolethylene. They may reduce your 1,4-dioxane exposure.

Coal Tar

Used in anti-dandruff shampoos, hair dyes, and treatments for psoriasis, coal tar is a known human carcinogen. By causing DNA damage, exposure to coal tar can increase the likelihood of cancer development. Coal tar can also increase the sensitivity of your skin to sunlight, increasing your susceptibility to sunburns, and potentially increase your chance for contracting skin cancer. Products with coal tar should be used cautiously or avoided all together.

Diethanolamine

Diethanolamine (DEA) is a compound often used in shampoos, lotions, and other cosmetics as an emulsifier and a foaming agent. There is some fear that DEA is a carcinognen. Although animal studies from the US Department of Human Health services did show that DEA could induce tumors, the overall results were actually inconclusive. DEA is not considered a human carcinogen, but it still perhaps should be used cautiously

Phthalates

Dibutylphthalate (DBP), dimethylphthalate (DMP), and diethylphthalate (DEP) belong to a class of chemicals known as phthalates: common cosmetic additives found in hairspray, nail polish, soap, shampoo, and perfume. According to the FDA, phthalate exposure from cosmetics is safe for humans, but others feel exposure may cause health risks, including potential harm to an unborn child. Cosmetic products must declare all ingredients on their packaging, except for perfumes, which may contain phthalate.

How to Avoid Using Cosmetics with Dangerous Chemicals?

Avoiding cosmetics with unsafe compounds is difficult because cosmetic companies are not required to ensure a product is safe. Furthermore, most scientific studies are based on worst-case scenarios and certain “dangerous” compounds may not greatly affect your health if used as directed. The best advice is to do your research and purchase cosmetics from a reputable company that you trust.

You can learn more about dangerous chemicals in cosmetics at the The Center of Disease Control, Food And Drug Administration, and ToxNet.
http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/dangerous-ingredients-in-cosmetics?utm_medium=yahhp#10

1 Like

Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by cupid4ig(m): 12:51pm On Dec 03, 2012
nice post smiley
Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by DANILSA(m): 12:51pm On Dec 03, 2012
WETIN CONCERN AGBORO WITH OVERLOAD, NL WOMEN OYA MAKE UNA TAKE OVER

1 Like

Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by slimyem: 12:52pm On Dec 03, 2012
So many dangers....
Noodles....danger!
Lagos air-danger!
Cosmestic-danger!
0ral sex-danger!
Sleep too much-danger!
No sleep enough-danger!
Soft-drinks-danger!
Alcohol-danger!
Tobacco-danger!
...all just to stay alive while not living at all!
O lagbara!!!

17 Likes

Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by wassade: 12:53pm On Dec 03, 2012
tongue na whaa oooo
Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by Kslib(m): 12:53pm On Dec 03, 2012
I no even remember when last i rub cream seff... The only cream wey i dey rub na for inside my belle in the form of fruits and good food,and e dey manifest outwardly...
###Team ori oyo/coconut oil/olive oil***

1 Like

Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by Nobody: 12:54pm On Dec 03, 2012
Almost all of my creams contains one or two of these. What do i do? Or do i fall back to the traditional "ude-aku" which is 'kernel oil' cream....see me see wahala o
Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by ideee03(f): 12:57pm On Dec 03, 2012
First to comment..*dancing etighi*.Bt How does one know d particular cosmetic that contains the afore mentioned.Cuz I know some cosmetic companies do not list out all ingredient contained in a particular product.

Sent from my neigbours keyboard nd monitor.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by pinky21(f): 1:03pm On Dec 03, 2012
Issues
Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by Guddy(m): 1:03pm On Dec 03, 2012
Actually, when you look at the composition of most cosmetics, about 90% of them are not fit for human use. But can one really do without these cosmetics? Even if these harmful components are there will the manufacturers let you know?
Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by Guddy(m): 1:06pm On Dec 03, 2012
ideee03: First to comment..*dancing etighi*.Bt How does one know d particular cosmetic that contains the afore mentioned.Cuz I know some cosmetic companies do not list out all ingredient contained in a particular product.

My dear you missed it. Try harder again. wink
ideee03: First to comment..*dancing etighi*.Bt How does one know d particular cosmetic that contains the afore mentioned.Cuz I know some cosmetic companies do not list out all ingredient contained in a particular product.

My dear you missed it. Try harder again.
Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by Nobody: 1:09pm On Dec 03, 2012

You are not even fourth to comment. Onuku

1 Like

Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by Nobody: 1:11pm On Dec 03, 2012
We should just go back to using petroleum jelly and washing our hair and body with dudu osun

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by aglomar: 1:12pm On Dec 03, 2012
Kerosine+palm oil is d best cream.
Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by greatgod2012(f): 1:13pm On Dec 03, 2012
Looking good is a good business, but now, what is it becoming?........ Its better to eat good food, u will see d result on your skin.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by Kslib(m): 1:16pm On Dec 03, 2012
aglomar: Kerosine+palm oil is d best cream.
U wan keeee personNa person go rub dis one for body!!
Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by yuzedo: 1:21pm On Dec 03, 2012
slimyem: So many dangers....
Noodles....danger!
Lagos air-danger!
Cosmestic-danger!
0ral sex-danger!
Sleep too much-danger!
No sleep enough-danger!
Soft-drinks-danger!
Alcohol-danger!
Tobacco-danger!
O lagbara!!!

Sweerie, God will protect us if you gimme a chance with that one... grin wink kiss
Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by muteeu(m): 1:23pm On Dec 03, 2012
The basic principle is that anything that is used for adornment and beautification is permissible. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“He it is Who created for you all that is on earth”

[al-Baqarah 2:29]

That may be consider if the intention is to beautify yourself for your husband, because this is something that is prescribed in jurisprudence .

But this is subject to the condition that nothing unlawful is involved, such as adorning yourself for men other than your husband to whom it is not permissible to show your beauty. It is also subject to the condition that it does not contain any substance that may harm the body or that is impure such as pig fat. In that case it is unlawful, because we are forbidden to do things that will harm us, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “there should be no harming or reciprocating harm.”

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

There is nothing wrong with using lipstick because the basic principle is that things are permissible until it is made clear that they are unlawful… But if it becomes clear that it is harmful to the lips, that it dries them out and makes them lose their moisture, then in this case it is not allowed. I have been told that it may cause the lips crack. If that is proven then we are forbidden to do things that harm us.

Fataawa Manaar al-Islam, 3/831

Dr Wajeeh Zayn al-‘Aabideen wrote an article in al-Wa’i al-Islami magazine about the harm that the cosmetics which are widely used by women nowadays may cause. In this article he said:

Lipstick may cause swelling of the lips or drying and cracking of the thin skin of the lips, because it removes the protective layer of the lips.

Quoted from Zeenat al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah by Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah al-Fawzaan, p. 51

So Muslim women should make sure, before using any of the commonly-used cosmetics, that it will not cause any damage to her body.
And Allaah knows best.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by laykhorn(m): 1:57pm On Dec 03, 2012
And this is what pursued me out of chem. Engr. Department. Those terms can make you go mad. Mech. Engr all d way...
Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by Nobody: 2:41pm On Dec 03, 2012
in the end death will kill you
Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by Jotonio(f): 2:51pm On Dec 03, 2012
slimyem: So many dangers....
Noodles....danger!
Lagos air-danger!
Cosmestic-danger!
0ral sex-danger!
Sleep too much-danger!
No sleep enough-danger!
Soft-drinks-danger!
Alcohol-danger!
Tobacco-danger!
O lagbara!!!
Let me add to ur list
Skimpy clothes danger!
Music danger!
Tattoo danger!
Uv danger!
Over eating danger
Under eating danger!
Tv danger!
Infact everything danger!!!

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by Nobody: 2:53pm On Dec 03, 2012
saying lol is dangerous too..
Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by ferhyntorlah(f): 3:07pm On Dec 03, 2012
Kslib:
###Team ori oyo/coconut oil/olive oil***

Yes o!
Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by ferhyntorlah(f): 3:09pm On Dec 03, 2012
lrguru: Almost all of my creams contains one or two of these. What do i do? Or do i fall back to the traditional "ude-aku" which is 'kernel oil' cream....see me see wahala o

Please do, your skin will never be the same again. Please also include Coconut oil and Olive oil too.
Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by Bawss1(m): 3:28pm On Dec 03, 2012
ehie: in the end death will kill you

Lol.

Ladies would rather die from dangerous chemicals in cosmetics than not use them at all. It is way better than dying ugly. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by OmolodMilkman93(m): 4:57pm On Dec 03, 2012
ideee03: First to comment..*dancing etighi*.
sori yung lady, bt u were 6mins late, beta luck nxt time

1 Like

Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by AmEucharia(f): 8:25pm On Dec 03, 2012
[color=#770077][/color]The best natural cream is unrefined COCONUT OIL. It is multipurpose, visit www.coconutoil.com and find out yourself. If you are intrested call 08184441737 if you reside in Aba,it is better.
Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by Wendyslim(f): 9:19pm On Dec 03, 2012
Ori (shear butter) cry
Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by nwapastor: 8:31am On Dec 04, 2012

You were busy typing this long post and other people's short posts came in b4 urs. Sorry o
Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by 9icetoo(m): 3:28pm On Dec 04, 2012
lrguru: Almost all of my creams contains one or two of these. What do i do? Or do i fall back to the traditional "ude-aku" which is 'kernel oil' cream....see me see wahala o
grin. A weird scientist out there has found out it causes cancer too. grin. Try red oil for a change. grin

1 Like

Re: Hidden Dangers Of Cosmetics by muteeu(m): 8:07pm On Dec 04, 2012
The best option is to abstain from it but these ladies and old age women that wanted to re young had been deceived by evil of their soul and they are brainwashed by western ideology which as difficult to reconcile with their base civilization which make them forget their base . Now they have become compromised through some kind of wrong intellectuality. Allahu Alam
Bawss1:

Lol.

Ladies would rather die from dangerous chemicals in cosmetics than not use them at all. It is way better than dying ugly. cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Kaduna Confirms 2 COVID-19 Deaths / Pictures From Keep Nigeria Clean Excercise / Edo Discharges 20 Coronavirus Patients, Records 1 Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.