Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,198 members, 7,811,525 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:47 PM

Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) (9291 Views)

''Wanted: Maximum Security For Mr. President As Corruption Fights Back'' / PHOTO: Woman Fights Neighbour To Death Over Minor Disagreement / Hate Campaign: Buhari Fights Back, Bars AIT From Covering His Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by Nobody: 11:47pm On Nov 29, 2012
Video on Website: http://www.voanews.com/content/enslaved-in-france-nigerian-women-fights-back/1554525.html

BENIN CITY, NIGERIA — In part one of VOA's series on Nigerian sex trafficking, we met Amaka Chinye, a 22-year-old who survived weeks in the desert en route to her new life in Europe only to be forced into prostitution when she arrived. This is the story of how she fought back.

When she finally made it to Tripoli, Libya, Amaka Chinye was directed to a boat that crossed the Mediterranean Sea and brought her to a camp in Italy.

There, she was handed to another person, one in the chain of people connecting the recruiter in Nigeria who convinced her to go to her future "madam" in France.

“I was there when the lady came and she was asking for my name. My name is Amaka. So she was asking for me, she wanted to see me. She brought a lawyer to collect me, so that is how they took me to France," she said.

Debt trap

When she got to France, she learned that she owed the madam 62,000 Euro - that’s over $80,000 - and her only job prospect was sex work. The madam had a party for two young women who were leaving. She told Amaka that life is good for her "girls."

"She was like doing send off. It was like a celebration. She was cooking. Jubilating," said Amaka. "She introduced those two girls to me. ‘You can see, these are my girls. They just finished paying me. Do you know how much they have in their accounts? Do you know they have a house in Nigeria?’”

After a month of working the streets day and night paying off her debt at about $500 a week, Amaka realized she could never make all that money. She realized that she had essentially become a slave.

"So from there we have to involve the police. Because there’s no way I can pay 62,000 Euro. I don’t have a job there," she said.

Traffickers count on girls to be afraid to run away because they swear a "juju" oath that many believe has magical powers. Before she left Nigeria, Amaka swore she would obey and pay the madam, or face death.

Amaka went to the police anyway. She was immediately detained and questioned and she told them everything.

"They arrested the husband first before they arrested her. That was [when] they booked the flight. And when we were coming back I was not the only person inside the flight that they were taking back, there were up to 14 girls, they were all girls that they were taking back," she recalled.

Poor, but glad to be back

[img]http://gdb.voanews.eu/6DA56ED8-748C-4314-9852-6B1318E5B484_w640_r1_s_cx0_cy0_cw0.jpg[/img]
A student at Nigeria's Benin University in Benin City walks past a billboard encouraging women to fight prostitution and human trafficking.

​​When she got home, Amaka began to pick up the pieces of the life she had left. She once ran a small shop, but she couldn’t afford to stock it, so she bought some clothes to hock in the market.

At a lively community center in Benin City, she says she’s glad to be back, even if she is now even poorer than she was when she left.

But, I ask, is she afraid to be killed by the juju spell?

“They said I’m going to die if I did not pay. I should die. But I’ve been waiting for death and death did not come. I know it will not come. I am very much stronger than juju," Amaka said.
Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by Nobody: 11:49pm On Nov 29, 2012
LMAO @ "They said death will come. I've been waiting but it did not come. I am very much stronger than juju" grin

I still can't believe some enslaved girls believe in that ish.

PS: Shouldn't she be arrested for trying to get into France illegally? undecided
Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by Everest9(m): 3:01am On Nov 30, 2012
is only GOD decide wen one dies
Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by stpat1(m): 3:10am On Nov 30, 2012
But didn't she suspect or better put know what was ahead of her before agreeing to go for it? She knew it was prostitution quite well and the only reason she backed out was because of the amount she was to pay back. She should count herself lucky she was not arrested.

3 Likes

Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by Nobody: 3:27am On Nov 30, 2012
sad.Wasted years.
Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by bokohalal(m): 3:33am On Nov 30, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
LMAO @ "They said death will come. I've been waiting but it did not come. I am very much stronger than juju" grin

PS: Shouldn't she be arrested for trying to get into France illegally? undecided

Just like enslaved Nigerians believe in one Jewish carpenter.

In which country do they arrest citizens for trying to get into another country illegaly?
Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by Nobody: 4:10am On Nov 30, 2012
bokohalal:

In which country do they arrest citizens for trying to get into another country illegaly?

I was expecting France to arrest (before deportation) her for illegally entering the country.
Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by Nobody: 4:34am On Nov 30, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

I was expecting France to arrest (before deportation) her for illegally entering the country.

Ahhh.... that's gonna turn into another long story ileke... before you know it she will get a lawyer for free... It's better they just let them go back to their home country than let them become liability to theirs .... shameless people...

And ofcourse she knows she's going to do prosti tution in France ... she's just faking it!
Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by NegroNtns(m): 4:36am On Nov 30, 2012
Sad stort but im happy for her strength and self-rescue.

She said the madam took lawyer with her to get her from Italy across into France. They used underground racket and bypassed bureaucracy to get her into France
Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by Nobody: 5:03am On Nov 30, 2012
So why on earth did this used up Bini retired prost.stitute decide to give them an Igbo name as her name
How annoying angry angry angry
She looks like a typical Bini girl from head to her hammer toes
Speaks with Bini area accent
Pronounces how as ow,husband as usband and have as ave like Bini ,some Ijaws and Yorubas do
Igbos don't have that H/non H speech defect
It is quite annoying that she will give a fake ID and an Igbo one at that,most likely she has returned home to continue her trade with local men without a madam since she is still full of lies
The first step to her recovery is coming clean with her true identity or at least choose one from her tribe if she must lie
Is that the new method now,Women turning tricks in Italy and france from the land that exports Prost.itutes to Europe now claiming Igbo names?when I read the story and saw the name I said no way,then saw the clip and heard her speak and confirmed it.God punish her!
Amaka Chinye indeed

They know exactly what they are going for before setting off,some are sponsored by family members with the blessings of their family including husbands.these are no naive women
These people may even be making passports in these fictitious names angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by PhysicsQED(m): 5:44am On Nov 30, 2012
Baby mama: So why on earth did this used up Bini retired prost.stitute decide to give them an Igbo name as her name
Pronounces how as ow,husband as usband and have as ave like Bini ,some Ijaws and Yorubas do
It is quite annoying that she will give a fake ID and an Igbo one at that
Is that the new method now,Women turning tricks in Italy and france from the land that exports Prost.itutes to Europe now claiming Igbo names?when I read the story and saw the name I said no way,then saw the clip and heard her speak and confirmed it.God punish her!
Amaka Chinye indeed

They know exactly what they are going for before setting off,some are sponsored by family members with the blessings of their family including husbands.these are no naive women

If she was faking her identity there would be no particular reason to choose an Igbo one - she could choose any other ethnic group. She could even choose a first and last name with purely Christian or English names rather than that of any ethnic group. Also, if that woman had any interest whatsoever in hiding who she really was, she certainly wouldn't show her face for the camera while sharing what she went through. No amount of name changing would hide her face, by which she can still be identified so the 'fake name' idea doesn't make sense - she should have asked the camera person not to show her face or have covered her face herself if she was even concerned about that stuff. I'm sure you'll tell us that Anthonia Egbuna was also using a fake ID even though foreign police had to identify who she was. I also see that you started a whole thread a while back trying to disclaim the ethnicity of some robbers, even claiming that one Ogbole (someone with an Idoma name) was somehow Edo. People from any group can commit crimes or get into shady practices, including your own. Get over it.

edited: Not going to get into a debate about who speaks the best "Engrissh" and how. Not worth the time.

3 Likes

Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by Basic(m): 5:58am On Nov 30, 2012
Baby mama: So why on earth did this used up Bini retired prost.stitute decide to give them an Igbo name as her name
It is quite annoying that she will give a fake ID and an Igbo one at that,most likely she has returned home to continue her trade with local men without a madam since she is still full of lies
The first step to her recovery is coming clean with her true identity or at least choose one from her tribe if she must lie
Amaka Chinye indeed

These people may even be making passports in these fictitious names angry angry angry

If this is all your stu.pid brain could churn out at 5.03am, you'd better go back to sleep.
I don't know why some brainless people are so obsessed with tribalism.
Waking up in the morning, you could type all these crap in defence of tribalism.
You've got a big problem that will never get solved if you don't see a psychiatrist. Nonsense!

7 Likes

Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by NegroNtns(m): 6:12am On Nov 30, 2012
Amaka Chinye indeed

A 22yr old spirited girl left her loved ones behind to find her independence and direction in life. She crossed the Sahara to the Meditteranean coast. I can imagine the unspoken ordeal she encountered along the way. She went under the management of a cold hearted woman like "baby mama". The girl's spirit was strong and determined in its desire to scale the obstacles....but when it was no longer possible to fight forward, she abandoned the front and returned home for a relaunch of her determination to succeed.

Instead of cheerigng for her, stoopid baby mama worries about her articulation. She does not speak English grammar like Igbo, does not pronounce oil "oyel", so she must be other than Amaka. Call her Bisi, Biodun, Taiye......give her a new identity, call her Origbemi, Fagbemi, Ogungbemi, Oluwagbemi, because thats what she is, a survivor!

She is a stronger person than baby mama right now.

5 Likes

Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by KINGwax(m): 6:27am On Nov 30, 2012
Amaka Chinye indeed

mtcheew!!!

1 Like

Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by PhysicsQED(m): 6:28am On Nov 30, 2012
Obviously most of those going through the desert to try and get to Europe and especially to Italy were and are from Edo state and are from the ethnic groups of that state (particularly Bini) based on the trafficking statistics and the news reports, however, I don't see how someone (Baby mama) can have such difficulty accepting that there would be some other non-Edo state or non-Bini people going through the desert from other areas:

http://www.asafeworldforwomen.org/trafficking/ht-middle-east/ht-libya.html

http://www.transparencyng.com/index.php/news-categories/40-diaspora/5507-nigerians-in-libya-duped-raped-and-killed

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/desperate-for-wealth/128487/

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that those who are convincing some people from Edo state to travel through the desert to Europe could do the same in other states or to people from other states in Nigeria that are living in Edo state. Anyway, this ethnic question isn't even what should matter.
Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by Nobody: 6:34am On Nov 30, 2012
PhysicsQED: Obviously most of those going through the desert to try and get to Europe and especially to Italy were and are from Edo state and are from the ethnic groups of that state (particularly Bini) based on the trafficking statistics and the news reports, however, I don't see how someone (Baby mama) can have such difficulty accepting that there would be some other non-Edo state or non-Bini people going through the desert from other areas:

http://www.asafeworldforwomen.org/trafficking/ht-middle-east/ht-libya.html

http://www.transparencyng.com/index.php/news-categories/40-diaspora/5507-nigerians-in-libya-duped-raped-and-killed

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/desperate-for-wealth/128487/

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that those who are convincing some people from Edo state to travel through the desert to Europe could do the same in other states or to people from other states in Nigeria that are living in Edo state. Anyway, this ethnic question isn't even what should matter.
grin grin grin Some states have citizens that are angels. They don't commit crimes.
Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by KINGwax(m): 7:17am On Nov 30, 2012
Prof Corruption:
grin grin grin Some states have citizens that are angels. They don't commit crimes.
u probably didn't read his comment, or your ability to apprehend has greatly declined
Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by Nobody: 7:48am On Nov 30, 2012
[quote author=bokohalal]

Use ur life 4 important things instead of religious bashing

1 Like

Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by jtroy(m): 8:04am On Nov 30, 2012
[quote author=bokohalal]

.........atleast the jewish carpenter is God. what say you about the enslaved arabs and nigerians who believe in one arabian peadophile, tyrant, murderer and liar

2 Likes

Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by Jazzgreen(m): 8:20am On Nov 30, 2012
bokohalal:

Just like enslaved Nigerians believe in one Jewish carpenter

jst lik some nigerians are enslaved by one ARABIC TERRORIST .may God help dem

Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by jomarick(m): 8:51am On Nov 30, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Didn't you see she was arrested and deported?
Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by ektbear: 9:20am On Nov 30, 2012
The Jewish carpenter is a pretty cool, mellow dude. What is not to like about him. Didn't kill anybody, did wipe out anyone's family or destroy any countries, like the progenitor of a certain other religion..

2 Likes

Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by lacasa: 10:01am On Nov 30, 2012
Jewish carpenter cheesy

Lollz grin
Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by pendusky(m): 10:13am On Nov 30, 2012
So Amaka now frm benin tribe? Mayb it wasnt benin... shocked So Benin gals travel to italy while Igbo to france?
Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by valuka(m): 10:23am On Nov 30, 2012
hmmm
Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by vascey(m): 10:33am On Nov 30, 2012
stpat1: But didn't she suspect or better put know what was ahead of her before agreeing to go for it? She knew it was prostitution quite well and the only reason she backed out was because of the amount she was to pay back. She should count herself lucky she was not arrested.

Somebody has been deported and you are still talking about arrest.

she came into the country illegally. The penalty was deportation abi? Or is there something else they are meant to do to her?

I admire the girl's courage joor. She dam.ned the juju, her madam, what people back home would say etc because she would not succumb to slavery.
Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by aglomar: 10:44am On Nov 30, 2012
hmm
Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by WENGERNOMICS(m): 10:47am On Nov 30, 2012
Everest9: is only GOD decide wen one dies

Let's test your assertion emperically.....Look for a kitchen knife and stab yourself, or jump in the middle of the express road or make ur leg wet and step on a naked wire......and let's see if God will determine when you die......Where do you people get such notions from.....If you are a christian....than you may have come across Psalm 91......the last verse: With Long life will God SATISFY you and show you his salvation......
Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by safarigirl(f): 11:05am On Nov 30, 2012
I salute her courage. Someone mentioned that she only left cos she realized she couldn't get the money back, let it be known that there are thousands of gurls who have been paying for half a decade and are yet to complete the debt, but they won't run cos they're scared of the effect of the jazz, this gurl damned the consequences and realised she's more than some god she doesn't beleive in. For those who are fussing bout her Igbo-ness, perhaps she was born in Edo and grew up there, you can get the intonation so. That doesn't make her less Igbo, like Chiwetel Ejiofor, born and raised in Britain, accent and all, but his identity remains Igbo. If sey this gurl win international competition, una no for notice her accent.

2 Likes

Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by bokohalal(m): 11:54am On Nov 30, 2012
ekt_bear: The Jewish carpenter is a pretty cool, mellow dude. What is not to like about him. Didn't kill anybody, did wipe out anyone's family or destroy any countries, like the progenitor of a certain other religion..
All religious people are enslaved!
Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by shadrach77: 11:56am On Nov 30, 2012
she needs to go for deliverance to be totally free from the effect of the evil covenant she entered into; and the fact that she was "forced" into prostitution sounds ludicrous. Of course, she knew she was travelling to be a prostitue. But she acted a little bit foolishly. What she should have done was to save up a bit of money for herself before blowing cover so that she would have something to return to rather than returning to poverty angry angry angry
Re: Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 30, 2012
At least we got her true identity straightened out cool cool cool
How can a woman who says fust for first, and Usband for husband be Igbo
No way Jose!
Not our portion

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nchara:stop The Lies Igbos Are Less Than 10% Of Lagos.bendle Are More Than Igbo / FG Creates 1.2Million Jobs In Mining Minister / EFCC Arrests Dada Olatunji, Ex-Fire Service Boss Over Employment Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.