Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,506 members, 7,830,518 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

The Senagelese First Lady Can't Speak English - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The Senagelese First Lady Can't Speak English (976 Views)

Pic: Donald Trump Says Nigerians Can't Speak English / Angry Zimbabwean Students Demand Withdrawal Of First Lady’s Phd / Marieme Sall, Senegal's First Black First Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Senagelese First Lady Can't Speak English by younglawya(m): 10:06am On Nov 30, 2012
So, I was watching african voices wirh isha sesay and the first lady being interviewed addmitted that she was still learning english and thus replies were in her native language. Now, the question is, have we not villified and mocked dame patience for too long, at least, she speaks english even though with a vernacular tone and its expressions

1 Like

Re: The Senagelese First Lady Can't Speak English by Ikengawo: 10:14am On Nov 30, 2012
Nigerians are the only people foolish enough to feel that someone must know english by force. If someone can't speak any languages we can say that's a problem, but to mock someone for not being articulate in their 3rd or 2nd language, when it's a foreign language at that is foolish and counter productive.

If someone can become the first lady of here country not knowing english, how much of an idiot does someone in deep poverty look like insulting her in english? If Patience Jonathan can't speak english let it be known that anyone that mocks her is a fool. She's articulate in the language that matters in her life and clearly that's Ijaw. No english man has ever laughed at his peer for not being able to speak Yoruba, or Igbo, how little shame does a Yoruba or Igbo man have to have in order to insult someone for not knowing that british man's language? Others around the world are priding themselves in learning physics, software programming languages like C# and C++, java script, and things that are improving lives and Nigerians are still thinking knowning english is a mark of achievement or intelligence. Every slowpoke and vagabond in America speaks english, will you clap for them?

4 Likes

Re: The Senagelese First Lady Can't Speak English by CORDROSS: 10:15am On Nov 30, 2012
younglawya: So, I was watching african voices wirh isha sesay and the first lady being interviewed addmitted that she was still learning english and thus replies were in her native language. Now, the question is, have we not villified and mocked dame patience for too long, at least, she speaks english even though with a vernacular tone and its expressions
Re: The Senagelese First Lady Can't Speak English by saintneo(m): 10:18am On Nov 30, 2012
Senegal's offical language is french. So if the Senegalese FL is uncomfortable with English then Elle puet parle Francais.

2 Likes

Re: The Senagelese First Lady Can't Speak English by Afam4eva(m): 10:20am On Nov 30, 2012
younglawya: So, I was watching african voices wirh isha sesay and the first lady being interviewed addmitted that she was still learning english and thus replies were in her native language. Now, the question is, have we not villified and mocked dame patience for too long, at least, she speaks english even though with a vernacular tone and its expressions
In as much as i believe that Nigerian should not make it look as if everyone must speak good English considering the fact that it's not our language, you have to understand that the official language of Senegal is French and not English. It's like expecting patience Jonathan to understand French.

1 Like

Re: The Senagelese First Lady Can't Speak English by TableLeg(m): 10:21am On Nov 30, 2012
Who cares ...
Re: The Senagelese First Lady Can't Speak English by Nobody: 10:57am On Nov 30, 2012
read my signature
Re: The Senagelese First Lady Can't Speak English by tpia1: 12:50am On Dec 01, 2012
Isnt she french?

So she' ll speak french.
Re: The Senagelese First Lady Can't Speak English by tpia1: 12:50am On Dec 01, 2012
Although it doesnt concern nigeria sha.
Re: The Senagelese First Lady Can't Speak English by Nobody: 10:20am On Dec 01, 2012
Seriously, can Nigerians be this dumb?

Why should one expect Senegal's first lady to know how to speak English when her country's official language is french? Has there ever been a Nigerian first lady that knows how to speak French? Mtscheew

2 Likes

Re: The Senagelese First Lady Can't Speak English by Akanniade(m): 2:41pm On Dec 02, 2012
Maple: Seriously, can Nigerians be this dumb?

Why should one expect Senegal's first lady to know how to speak English when her country's official language is french? Has there ever been a Nigerian first lady that knows how to speak French? Mtscheew

Idiocy is celebrated in this generation.
Re: The Senagelese First Lady Can't Speak English by kevoh(m): 2:46pm On Dec 02, 2012
Let me note the name of the OP in case I see another post or comment of his/hers on Nairaland I will immediately associate it with being dumb and stupid.
Re: The Senagelese First Lady Can't Speak English by younglawya(m): 11:50am On Dec 17, 2012
ill reply the earlier three . English is the most widely spoken language in the world. Being the first lady of a country , whether we like it or not she represents her country albeit in an unofficial capacity in a good number of public functions, she admitted that she was still learning the language and hoped to be better next time, im sure she was still aware that the official language of her country is french. @ the above posted retards, one question, is there anyone that can speak english in senegal and why?
Re: The Senagelese First Lady Can't Speak English by dominique(f): 12:27pm On Dec 17, 2012
She's not obligated to learn English. if she does its a plus on her path. How many world leaders know how to speak English talkless of their wives?
Re: The Senagelese First Lady Can't Speak English by igbo2011(m): 1:29am On Dec 18, 2012
Us Africans have a space mentality. We master the white mans language without knowing our own. We are still slaves.
Re: The Senagelese First Lady Can't Speak English by RSA(m): 12:34pm On Dec 18, 2012
As an African I feel embarrased by the author's ignorance.I speak 10 languages,including English.And if I'm not perfect in it then who cares,wont make more money because I speak proper english..Sometimes I think being African is a curse in this age.
Re: The Senagelese First Lady Can't Speak English by Afam4eva(m): 1:10pm On Dec 18, 2012
younglawya: ill reply the earlier three . English is the most widely spoken language in the world. Being the first lady of a country , whether we like it or not she represents her country albeit in an unofficial capacity in a good number of public functions, she admitted that she was still learning the language and hoped to be better next time, im sure she was still aware that the official language of her country is french. @ the above posted retards, one question, is there anyone that can speak english in senegal and why?
It's a shame that in this generation, people still reason like this. You feel people should be ashamed for not being able to speak English but is it not a shame for them not being able to speak their own native language?
Re: The Senagelese First Lady Can't Speak English by adconline(m): 12:51am On Dec 20, 2012

Idiocy and mental laziness have taken over NL. Senegalese official language is French as Nigeria is English.

(1) (Reply)

Spanish Police Arrest 25 In 'nigeriasex-trafficking Ring' / BREAKING NEWS: USA Takes Down North Korea' S Internet / Obama Cheers As US $700m Spacecraft Survives Close Encounter With Pluto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.