Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,743 members, 7,813,434 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! (1506 Views)

‘factors That Aided Apc’s Victory At The Polls’ - Tinubu's Aide, Dare, Reveals / My Discussion On Buhari's Economic Policies And Corruption In 2011 / The Policies And Politics Of Excess Crude Oil Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 12:55pm On Nov 30, 2012
Several DESTRUCTIVE policies and Actions of past and present governments contributed in no small measure to the DECAY in Nigeria today. This thread is open for Nigerians to list the Policies and Actions they consider DESTRUCTIVE and how they contributed to the present DILAPIDATED state of Nigeria.
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 1:21pm On Nov 30, 2012
In my opinion, the NUMBER ONE destructive policy in Nigeria today is QUOTA SYSTEM(aka federal character). This policy has been in operation since Independence and has killed MERIT, COMPETITIVENESS and EFFICIENCY, particularly in the public sector. This THOUGHTLESS quota system policy, has over the years foilstered on this country INCOMPETENT, LAZY and LACKADAISICAL public servants. The public service all over the world is the ENGINE that drives every govt programmes and policies, therefore EFFICIENCY and COMPETENCY are crucial. Unfortunately, this ENGINE is grounding to a halt in Nigeria. I know the quota system was meant to CARRY EVERYONE ALONG but should that be at the expense of MERIT, EFFICIENCY and COMPETENCE? And for how much longer shall we continue to carry everyone along? Presently, the attitude of the average Nigerian is to blame the other person as the cause of the nations WOES while neglecting the real culprits, which I think can be found in DESTRUCTIVE policies such as quota system.
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 1:31pm On Nov 30, 2012
My list of DESTRUCTIVE policies in the history of Nigeria, starting from the most DESTRUCTIVE, include:
1) quota system (aka federal character)
2) forceful takeover of missionary schools by govt
3) fuel subsidy
4) federal govt control of the natural resources in all the states
5) creation of TOO MANY states and local govt
6) NYSC
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 1:47pm On Nov 30, 2012
The forceful takeover of missionary schools by the Nigerian govt sometime in the 70s or so was another CATASTROPHIC and THOUGHTLESS policy. That inexplicable policy can be described as GOVT STUPIDITY at its best. I mean, even if the govt wanted to build its own schools, it could have done that without DESTROYING existing missionary schools. The govt took over those schools and simply DESTROYED them. That STUPID and RECKLESS policy marked the BEGINNING of the fall in the standard of education and MORAL DECADENCE in the society. The astronomical increase in crimes, criminalities, cultism, corruption and all sorts of atrocities can be traced back to that policy. The earlier we trace some of our problems to their roots, the better.
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 1:56pm On Nov 30, 2012
I suspect the forceful takeover of missionary schools was to make the govt FULLY IN CONTROL of what was taught in all schools. But how can such parochial, sentimental, lame and atropic reason weigh side and side with the irreparable damage such policy had caused? This is just one example of how policies are designed for immediate 'benefit' without taking into consideration long term damages such a policy might cause
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 2:08pm On Nov 30, 2012
In my opinion, the fuel subsidy policy is another destructive policy that KILLLED the downstream sector in Nigeria. Fuel subsidy is unnecessary, WASTEFUL and riddled with corruption. The fuel subsidy policy explains why there is no single PRIVATELY owned refinery in Nigeria today, after almost over 5 decades of oil exploration and despite the HUGE MARKET. From experience, govt run companies are unreliable, inefficient and will sooner or later grind to a halt. Therefore, only fools will expect govt run refineries to be different. The earlier we remove fuel subsidy, the better
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 30, 2012
I know the fuel subsidy issue has now been politicized to the extent that whenever it is mentioned, opposition parties and labour leaders spit fire. I only plead for dispassionate analysis of these issues and for COMMON SENSE to prevail
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 2:33pm On Nov 30, 2012
There are just TOO MANY states and local govt in Nigeria, which adds to the cost of governance. In my opinion, Nigeria need no more than 12 states and a FCT. Anything above 12 states is MULTIPLICATION OF MADNESS
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 2:58pm On Nov 30, 2012
The current arrangement that vest the ownership of all the natural resources in the states on the federal govt is COUNTER PRODUCTIVE. It does not encourage productivity, innovativeness and creativity at the state and local govt level. It encourages LAZINESS and FEEDING BOTTLE MENTALITY. This arrangement has to be reversed so the states can get their hands dirty in harnessing their resources and pay taxes to the federal govt.
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 4:30pm On Nov 30, 2012
Guys should add to this list na. Why some guys dey always shy away from intellectual discourse, deviod of tribal war and curses?
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by ANALIST: 4:48pm On Nov 30, 2012
Sincere 9gerian: In my opinion, the NUMBER ONE destructive policy in Nigeria today is QUOTA SYSTEM(aka federal character). This policy has been in operation since Independence and has killed MERIT, COMPETITIVENESS and EFFICIENCY, particularly in the public sector. This THOUGHTLESS quota system policy, has over the years foilstered on this country INCOMPETENT, LAZY and LACKADAISICAL public servants. The public service all over the world is the ENGINE that drives every govt programmes and policies, therefore EFFICIENCY and COMPETENCY are crucial. Unfortunately, this ENGINE is grounding to a halt in Nigeria. I know the quota system was meant to CARRY EVERYONE ALONG but should that be at the expense of MERIT, EFFICIENCY and COMPETENCE? And for how much longer shall we continue to carry everyone along? Presently, the attitude of the average Nigerian is to blame the other person as the cause of the nations WOES while neglecting the real culprits, which I think can be found in DESTRUCTIVE policies such as quota system.

I SINCERELY THINK AND HUMBLY THINK THAT YOU ARE NOT ONLY COMING FROM THE MAJORITY THAT DOMINATES THE POLITICAL LANDSCAPE OF THIS COUNTRY BUT GOT THE GUTS TO EXPRESS YOUR INEQUITABLE AND ILLOGICAL REASONING ON FEDERAL CHARACTER WHICH HAS NOT ONLY SALVAGED THIS GREAT VOUNTRY FROM COLLAPSE BUT HAS PROVEN TO BE THE MAIN AND FUNDAMENATAL PRINCIPLE IF FEDERALISM WHICH YOU OUGHT TO HAVE STUDIES IN YOUR SSS CLASSES.

TO PUT YOU RIGHT FEDERAL CHARACTER IS NOT A TOOL OF CARTYING EVERYONE ALONG RATHER IT IS A TOOL FEDERALIST ADMINISTRATION. IT IS SO IMPORTANT THAT IF WITHRAWN NO FEDERAL STATE CAN SURVIVE. ONLY A NATION; IN ITS STRICT MEANING OF ONE HEGEMONICAL PEOPLE IN CULTURE AND TRADITION CAN SO SURVIVE.

I WILL ADVICE YOU TO LOOK AT THE ISSUE VIS-a-VIS ALL THE RECOLLABLE POLICIES THAT HAVE DWINDLE AND SKYRAINBOWNET OUR DEVELOPMENTAL STRIDES AND THEN COMMENT.

THANKS
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by ANALIST: 5:07pm On Nov 30, 2012
Sincere 9gerian: In my opinion, the NUMBER ONE destructive policy in Nigeria today is QUOTA SYSTEM(aka federal character). This policy has been in operation since Independence and has killed MERIT, COMPETITIVENESS and EFFICIENCY, particularly in the public sector. This THOUGHTLESS quota system policy, has over the years foilstered on this country INCOMPETENT, LAZY and LACKADAISICAL public servants. The public service all over the world is the ENGINE that drives every govt programmes and policies, therefore EFFICIENCY and COMPETENCY are crucial. Unfortunately, this ENGINE is grounding to a halt in Nigeria. I know the quota system was meant to CARRY EVERYONE ALONG but should that be at the expense of MERIT, EFFICIENCY and COMPETENCE? And for how much longer shall we continue to carry everyone along? Presently, the attitude of the average Nigerian is to blame the other person as the cause of the nations WOES while neglecting the real culprits, which I think can be found in DESTRUCTIVE policies such as quota system.

I SINCERELY THINK AND HUMBLY THINK THAT YOU ARE NOT ONLY COMING FROM THE MAJORITY THAT DOMINATES THE POLITICAL LANDSCAPE OF THIS COUNTRY BUT GOT THE GUTS TO EXPRESS YOUR INEQUITABLE AND ILLOGICAL REASONING ON FEDERAL CHARACTER WHICH HAS NOT ONLY SALVAGED THIS GREAT VOUNTRY FROM COLLAPSE BUT HAS PROVEN TO BE THE MAIN AND FUNDAMENATAL PRINCIPLE IF FEDERALISM WHICH YOU OUGHT TO HAVE STUDIES IN YOUR SSS CLASSES.

TO PUT YOU RIGHT FEDERAL CHARACTER IS NOT A TOOL OF CARTYING EVERYONE ALONG RATHER IT IS A TOOL FEDERALIST ADMINISTRATION. IT IS SO IMPORTANT THAT IF WITHRAWN NO FEDERAL STATE CAN SURVIVE. ONLY A NATION; IN ITS STRICT MEANING OF ONE HEGEMONICAL PEOPLE IN CULTURE AND TRADITION CAN SO SURVIVE.

I WILL ADVICE YOU TO LOOK AT THE ISSUE VIS-a-VIS ALL THE RECOLLABLE POLICIES THAT HAVE DWINDLE AND SKYRAINBOWNET OUR DEVELOPMENTAL STRIDES AND THEN COMMENT.

THANKS
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by ANALIST: 5:12pm On Nov 30, 2012
Sincere 9gerian: The forceful takeover of missionary schools by the Nigerian govt sometime in the 70s or so was another CATASTROPHIC and THOUGHTLESS policy. That inexplicable policy can be described as GOVT STUPIDITY at its best. I mean, even if the govt wanted to build its own schools, it could have done that without DESTROYING existing missionary schools. The govt took over those schools and simply DESTROYED them. That STUPID and RECKLESS policy marked the BEGINNING of the fall in the standard of education and MORAL DECADENCE in the society. The astronomical increase in crimes, criminalities, cultism, corruption and all sorts of atrocities can be traced back to that policy. The earlier we trace some of our problems to their roots, the better.

IN CONCURRYING WITH YOU, I JUST SAY THAT SOME CHURCHES TODAY( WHICH ARE NO LONGER MISSIONERIES) COULD NOT HAVE DONE BETTER THAN SOME STATE GOVT.

LIKE AKWA IBOM, RIVERS AND NOW IMO.

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE NOW IS NO LONGER WHO MANAGES WHAT BUT WHAT DO WE TEACH IN SCHOOL.
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 6:11pm On Nov 30, 2012
ANALIST:

IN CONCURRYING WITH YOU, I JUST SAY THAT SOME CHURCHES TODAY( WHICH ARE NO LONGER MISSIONERIES) COULD NOT HAVE DONE BETTER THAN SOME STATE GOVT.

LIKE AKWA IBOM, RIVERS AND NOW IMO.

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE NOW IS NO LONGER WHO MANAGES WHAT BUT WHAT DO WE TEACH IN SCHOOL.
The state govts you mentioned are trying in terms of building infrastructure but what about discipline, character molding, values and even quality of education? Even the Rivers state governor recently narrated his encounter with one of the several illiterate teachers "distributing ignorance" in his state. It is easy to provide infrastructure but much more difficult to ensure a quality education that includes other indices listed above. There was no justification for the forceful takeover of missionary schools. The missionary schools then had already established a STANDARD in terms of quality, discipline, values and character molding. All the govt needed to do then was to establish govt schools and let them operate and compete side by side with the existing missionary schools. But seizing and DESTROYING them was a SENSELESS and STUPID thing to do. Cant you see the connection between that stupid policy and the MORAL DECADENCE, CRIMINALITY, CORRUPTION, FALLEN STANDARD OF EDUCATION, poor quality of leaders and all other negative vices ravaging the Nigeria society today, particularly in the south?
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 6:53pm On Nov 30, 2012
ANALIST:

THANKS
Cant you see that the INCOMPETENCE, INEFFICIENCY and LACKADAISICAL attitude that is the bane of PHCN and other public institutions is rooted in quota system?
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 7:12pm On Nov 30, 2012
Another DESTRUCTIVE and SENSELESS policy is the NYSC. The NYSC is a WASTE of precious time in the expected life time of our youths.. We are told that it is meant to promote national unity. If that was the objective of the policy, it means the policy is a COLLOSAL FAILURE and should be scrapped IMMEDIATELY. In medicine, a treatment strategy that does not provide any BENEFIT to the patient is discarded immediately. Rather than WASTE 1yr in NYSC jamboree, why not instead use the 1yr for compulsory training of all graduates in skill acquisition centres, where they'll acquire certain skills and be trained in entrepreneurship? That way graduates will be empowered with both the tools for white collar jobs or alternatively be their own boss. Alternatively, we can use the 1yr for compulsory military training. Can someone tell me where else in world a policy like NYSC exist? Why is Nigeria so notorious for doing STUPID things? When will we stop doing STUPID things? The worst is that most Nigerians dont see NYSC as a stupid policy. What a shame!!
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 7:27am On Dec 01, 2012
Why do Nigerians shy away from debating real issues but jump at petty things like tribal bashing and discussing personalities? I tire for this our people oh. This goes to show that many of us who CRITICISE and abuse others do so either do to poor understanding of issues at stake or pure mischief
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 1:31pm On Dec 01, 2012
Scrapp NYSC now!!! It is a WASTE of precious time.
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 3:12pm On Dec 01, 2012
Can someone hear me? Scrap NYSC now!!! It is a DESTRUCTIVE policy
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by redsun(m): 3:29pm On Dec 01, 2012
Has there ever been any good nigerian government policy apart from Idiagbon's war against indiscipline?

How can an endemically corrupt and grossly irresponsible system like nigeria make good policies?
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Novice1(m): 4:41pm On Dec 01, 2012
Discovery of Oil is the single most destructive thing to befall Nigeria
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 4:42pm On Dec 01, 2012
Scrap the STUPID NYSC now! It is nothing but a waste of PRECIOUS time.
Stop the quota system policy now! It is doing INCALCULABLE damage to the public sector. The ROT and INEFFICIENCY in public institutions like PHCN can all be traced back to quota system. How long can we continue to sacrifice COMPETENCE and EFFICIENCY on the alter of national unity? Where in world is national unity regarded as an achievement? Only in Nigeria. The irony of this very DESTRUCTIVE policy is that many Nigerians cannot see that quota system is the ROOT CAUSE OF the ROT that PHCN is today and the fact that you and I cannot have stable power supply. Why is it that every public institution MUST be PRIVATISED for it to be efficient? The answer is in quota system. We keep looking in the wrong direction for the cause of our problems. Nigerians should take a look at the quota system policy. It is DESTROYING our country.
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 4:48pm On Dec 01, 2012
Novice1: Discovery of Oil is the single most destructive thing to befall Nigeria
I agree with you 100%. With free oil money came laziness, CORRUPTION, stupid govt policies and do-or-die politics. And because the oil and gas industry can only employ a very few people, the rest of Nigerians left out of the sharing of free petro dollars had to look for alternative means of earning a living, including armed robbery and kidnapping.
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 11:29pm On Dec 01, 2012
You guys should add your voice calling for scrapping NYSC. GEJ and the NASS should scrap NYSC now!!
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 7:37am On Dec 02, 2012
You guys should join in the call for the NYSC to be scrapped. It is of no use. It was intended to promote national unity but if it has failed to do so after almost 3 decades, it should be scrapped. Agencies, policies and programmes that failed to achieve their mandate should be scrapped. That is what serious countries do. But in Nigeria, once a policy, programme or an agency is created to achieve a certain purpose, it grows a life of its own, becomes a CABAL and unstoppable
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Tittos: 12:45pm On Dec 02, 2012
The land use act
Power rotation
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 2:27pm On Dec 02, 2012
The fuel subsidy policy should be stopped NOW!! It is killing the downstream sector. Moreover it is a POT OF CORRUPTION
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 8:46pm On Dec 02, 2012
Stop quota system NOW! It is killing our public institutions: police, army, PHCN,etc
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 9:43pm On Dec 03, 2012
Stop quota system now! It is responsible for the incompetence and inability of our security agencies to crush boko haram.
Re: Policies And Factors That Are Killing Our Country!! by Nobody: 9:45pm On Dec 03, 2012
Remove fuel subsidy now! It is one policy that is killing the downstream sector

(1) (Reply)

Alakija Has FIVE Apartments In One Hyde Park (MOST EXPENSIVE FLATS IN UK)!!!! / ‘my Oga At The Top’: Mr Obafaiye Shem Replaced / Soyinka's Folly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.