Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,514 members, 7,830,526 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

Soyinka's Folly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka's Folly (1509 Views)

Nigeria Displays Usual Folly On World Stage... #kickgoodluckout / When Lagos Big Boy, Folly Coker Was Heavily Disgraced |myemag / Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka's Folly by Strongedition: 6:52pm On Jul 13, 2013
I make bold to state that there are no civil rights activists in Nigeria...(I stand to be corrected)What we have are Opportunistic activists...they react only to "matters arising"...A true activist is focused, determined, has singular and well spelt out objective, ready to sacrifice anything for the civil rights of his people, doesn't just react but pro-acts on a cause...he doesn't change with the 'matters arising'...My discomfort is that whatever involves GEJ, we throw caution and ethics to the wind. Wole Soyinka if not for dirty politics should know how best to say issues about GEJ's wife without insulting d president's family. He goofed at a high pedestal thereby showing that literary prowess does not automatically translate to ethical perfection.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka's Folly by Peinstein: 8:36pm On Jul 13, 2013
I am sure he didn't goof when he was lambasting YarAdua's wife for the role she played during YarAdua's illness. Our sparse political retrospection fuels our emotional reactions with ease.

6 Likes

Re: Soyinka's Folly by akpomeme(m): 11:32pm On Jul 13, 2013
Peinstein: I am sure he didn't goof when he was lambasting YarAdua's wife for the role she played during YarAdua's illness. Our sparse political retrospection fuels our emotional reactions with ease.

You don't insult patients because she is woman and because you think her education is half baked!! She is an African woman first and the wife of the President!
Re: Soyinka's Folly by iphy42: 12:53am On Jul 14, 2013
I see no folly in Soyinka, he only aired his views as enshrined in a democracy. The folly lies in the person who blindly supports another on good and in evil. Let us stand for truth no matter whose matter is discussed.
Re: Soyinka's Folly by Delaw8: 1:59am On Jul 14, 2013
I have noticed with keen interest and great surprise how those who constructively criticize Gej and the presidency are seen as foes while those who support Gej/presidency are seen as allies. What then is democracy if I may ask without objective and constructive criticism?
WS has just criticise PEJ and some pple are attacking him, even some to the extent of insulting his person and age, an age they don't even know if they will attain.
Without constructive criticism, Nigeria democracy will continue to be nascent and will never grow. So pls lets all grow up so that our democracy can also grow and the labour of our heros past shall not be in vain.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka's Folly by Sloan: 2:09am On Jul 14, 2013
Was Professor Soyinka not one of the STRONGEST advocates of doing the "RIGHT" constitutional thing in order to emancipate retardeen GEJ from under Turai Yaradua's apron strings with which he was permanently tied? Was Patience not one of their cooks and stewardess doing everything and anything Turai wanted in order for them to be in good terms? Now, Soyinka is standing on the "RIGHT" thing, morally and constitutionally but hypocrites like you who are nobodies, who were nobodies who will permanently be nothing are talking? Shame on you retardeens just like your useless president!

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka's Folly by Nobody: 2:29am On Jul 14, 2013
OP....you are a scam person. Opening threads asking people to come and make money with you online is the way on con artists
Re: Soyinka's Folly by Strongedition: 4:25pm On Jul 16, 2013
ilugunboy: OP....you are a scam person. Opening threads asking people to come and make money with you online is the way on con artists

Do u knw the gravity of what u're saying? Are u trying to be funny or something? For clarity,can u go back to ur so called scam page,copy the link and paste here pls.
I wld advice u stop taken too much of it! Weda alomo,weed,monkey tail and thier likes pls,its fast ruining ur assimilation
Re: Soyinka's Folly by Strongedition: 4:52pm On Jul 16, 2013
Peinstein: I am sure he didn't goof when he was lambasting YarAdua's wife for the role she played during YarAdua's illness. Our sparse political retrospection fuels our emotional reactions with ease.

Thats a few yrs back now.
The grey hair is not just an
indication of old age,its also
a symbol of wisdom. With
time,that same grey hair can
lead to so many things the friends
of the grey wnt be proud of.
1.Difficulty in recognition
2.libido decline
3.Weak memory
4.Decline in reasoning faculty(talks foolishly sometimes)
5. ...,.,,,,,,....u can add others

I can bet,Soyinka isnt getting younger!
Re: Soyinka's Folly by PointB: 5:15pm On Jul 16, 2013
I still think it was wrong for him to try belittling the woman - president's wife or not. What if Patience's children decided to ventilate the anger on Soyinka's wife? They could actually start by calling her a recluse, or something more uncharitable but yet politically incorrect. Let's assume Soyinka doesn't care if his wife is belittled, but how would his children feel to see their mother so demeaned?

Soyinka is dead wrong on this issue, and should apologize to the woman.
Re: Soyinka's Folly by dayokanu(m): 5:18pm On Jul 16, 2013
When Soyinka attacked the cabal led by Turai another African woman and wife of a President he was right then

but when he did the same to Retardeen and his wife it became wrong

1 Like

Re: Soyinka's Folly by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jul 16, 2013
So because he lambasted Yar Adua family in 2010, his subsequent actions should not be questioned? What sort of immoral mentality is that?

Even according to the Holy Books (the Bible), one is judged by his PRESENT actions, and not by his PAST.

Every situation should be analysed, assessed and criticised on its MERIT.

If Prof WS does something we perceive as RIGHT, we'll commend him. But if he does something controversial or which some people perceive as wrong, he should also be ready to face criticisms. QED

1 Like

Re: Soyinka's Folly by Tolexander: 5:41pm On Jul 16, 2013
PointB: I still think it was wrong for him to try belittling the woman - president's wife or not. What if Patience's children decided to ventilate the anger on Soyinka's wife? They could actually start by calling her a recluse, or something more uncharitable but yet politically incorrect. Let's assume Soyinka doesn't care if his wife is belittled, but how would his children feel to see their mother so demeaned?

Soyinka is dead wrong on this issue, and should apologize to the woman.
mr man!
You are many miles away from the real issue. What has WS's wife got to do with the issue?
Wole soyinka never make any false statement from what he said and only tried cautioning her reminding her the responsibilities expected of her.
As the first lady, even without a constitutional role, many things she does affects the populace, wole soyinka inclusive. Besides, she lives of public fund, so why is she immune to criticism?
Tell me how anything Wole's wife does effect the nigerian populace?

Just a simple analogy, if you goof here and i abuse you, the best thing for you is to abuse me and not your friend avenging for you.
Re: Soyinka's Folly by PointB: 6:01pm On Jul 16, 2013
Tolexander: mr man!
You are many miles away from the real issue. What has WS's wife got to do with the issue?
Wole soyinka never make any false statement from what he said and only tried cautioning her reminding her the responsibilities expected of her.
As the first lady, even without a constitutional role, many things she does affects the populace, wole soyinka inclusive. Besides, she lives of public fund, so why is she immune to criticism?
Tell me how anything Wole's wife does effect the nigerian populace?

Just a simple analogy, if you goof here and i abuse you, the best thing for you is to abuse me and not your friend avenging for you.

So calling someone's wife a 'mere domestic appendage' is complimentary, or caution in your own world? Or how is such demeaning and belittling, sanctimonious words amount to criticism? He stood on world stage to insult the woman, and you are here calling it criticism.

As the first lady, is she not someone wife, mother, sister, etc? Why should WS throw decorum into the wind the insult her person?

Wole Soyinka is equally a public figure, how would you feel if people start insulting his wife for not doing anything that affect's Nigerian populace?
Re: Soyinka's Folly by Tolexander: 6:27pm On Jul 16, 2013
PointB:

So calling someone's wife a 'mere domestic appendage' is complimentary, or caution in your own world? Or how is such demeaning and belittling, sanctimonious words amount to criticism? He stood on world stage to insult the woman, and you are here calling it criticism.

As the first lady, is she not someone wife, mother, sister, etc? Why should WS throw decorum into the wind the insult her person?

Wole Soyinka is equally a public figure, how would you feel if people start insulting his wife for not doing anything that affect's Nigerian populace?
stop goofing man!
Patient Jonathan is a public figure, Turai Yar adua was a public figure, Stella Obasanjo was a public figure, Mariam Abacha and Babangida were public figures by virtue of their Husbands' position, pet projects they held and their daily finances by public fund. . Tell me what post Wole Soyinka's wife hold and action to warrant public criticism.

If she doesn't want any criticism for herself, she would have disengaged herself from power, the public fund she requested for her 'fellow widow's project', and the kind of reception nigerians are according to her which are not constitutionally defined.

What has he said wrong calling her a domestic appendage of power?
Re: Soyinka's Folly by rakim: 6:37pm On Jul 16, 2013
pej and gej are compound disgrace to the presidency. those two clannish dolt are definitely making the nation look like a joke in the committee of nations.
Re: Soyinka's Folly by PointB: 6:43pm On Jul 16, 2013
Tolexander: stop goofing man!
Patient Jonathan is a public figure, Turai Yar adua was a public figure, Stella Obasanjo was a public figure, Mariam Abacha and Babangida were public figures by virtue of their Husbands' position, pet projects they held and their daily finances by public fund. . Tell me what post Wole Soyinka's wife hold and action to warrant public criticism.

If she doesn't want any criticism for herself, she would have disengaged herself from power, the public fund she requested for her 'fellow widow's project', and the kind of reception nigerians are according to her which are not constitutionally defined.

What has he said wrong calling her a domestic appendage of power?

So you don't see anything wrong for someone like WS to stoop the the level insulting a woman simply because her husband is a President? Let me ask you, is WS wife a mere domestic appendage too ? Would he be willing to go on an international podium and call his wife such?
Re: Soyinka's Folly by ba7man(m): 6:46pm On Jul 16, 2013
The question we should be asking is.....

(1) Did Wole Soyinka lie with what he said?? If "YES", list out the lies for all to see.

(2) If "NO", why must he not speak the truth?? Give reasons.

The fact that P.E.J is G.E.J's wife gives her no right to do as she likes without expecting a backlash.

She is part of the stains on G.E.J.
Re: Soyinka's Folly by rakim: 6:48pm On Jul 16, 2013
dayokanu: When Soyinka attacked the cabal led by Turai another African woman and wife of a President he was right then

but when he did the same to Retardeen and his wife it became wrong

oga I hail you. ara tuntun ni yin ooo.
Re: Soyinka's Folly by dayokanu(m): 6:50pm On Jul 16, 2013
PointB:

So you don't see anything wrong for someone like WS to stoop the the level insulting a woman simply because her husband is a President? Let me ask you, i[b]s WS wife a mere domestic appendage too [/b]? Would he be willing to go on an international podium and call his wife such?

Patience is a public officer, She lives on public funds, she takes money from national coffers to fund her numerous projects and lifestyle, Why cant Soyinka a taxpayer and direct contributor to her lifestyle be able to ask questions just like he asked Turai some years back.

So someone cant criticize Okonjo, Remi Tinubu, Diezani or Dora because they are someones wife?

The FIRST LADY is supposed to be the leader of women in the country and certain level of decorum is expected of her since she represents the country

Michelle Obama is criticized regularly
Re: Soyinka's Folly by dayokanu(m): 6:51pm On Jul 16, 2013
rakim:
oga I hail you. ara tuntun ni yin ooo.

Friend or foe? Identify ya self
Re: Soyinka's Folly by rakim: 6:54pm On Jul 16, 2013
dayokanu:

Friend or foe? Identify ya self

baba ni taki. friend ni ooo , ogbo elemosho a gbe wa oooo eyin lohun to ba de ori.
Re: Soyinka's Folly by Delafruita(m): 6:55pm On Jul 16, 2013
PointB:

So you don't see anything wrong for someone like WS to stoop the the level insulting a woman simply because her husband is a President? Let me ask you, i[b]s WS wife a mere domestic appendage too [/b]? Would he be willing to go on an international podium and call his wife such?
you seem to have been confused by the phrase 'domestic appendage'.prof simply meant that pej should ordinarily be a wife and not the trouble maker she has turned herself into in rivers state
Re: Soyinka's Folly by dayokanu(m): 6:56pm On Jul 16, 2013
rakim:

baba ni taki. friend ni ooo , ogbo elemosho a gbe wa oooo eyin lohun to ba de ori.

Olori eyin da?

Se Alhaji Salam ti Ijeru niyi?
Re: Soyinka's Folly by rakim: 6:59pm On Jul 16, 2013
dayokanu:

Olori eyin da?

Se Alhaji Salam ti Ijeru niyi?

baba tuntun yi ooo je a gbadun ooo. ati so fun awon oga re sha.
Re: Soyinka's Folly by PointB: 7:04pm On Jul 16, 2013
dayokanu:

Patience is a public officer, She lives on public funds, she takes money from national coffers to fund her numerous projects and lifestyle, Why cant Soyinka a taxpayer and direct contributor to her lifestyle be able to ask questions just like he asked Turai some years back.

So someone cant criticize Okonjo, Remi Tinubu, Diezani or Dora because they are someones wife?

The FIRST LADY is supposed to be the leader of women in the country and certain level of decorum is expected of her since she represents the country

Michelle Obama is criticized regularly

I don't know why some of you are failing to comprehend a simple sentence. Calling someone's wife, and mother 'a mere domestic appendage' is an 'insult.' It has nothing to do with criticism. Worse still is the fact that the culprit here is someone who should know better. I am beginning to think it a SW thing, equating insult to criticism.
Re: Soyinka's Folly by PointB: 7:08pm On Jul 16, 2013
Delafruita: you seem to have been confused by the phrase 'domestic appendage'.prof simply meant that pej should ordinarily be a wife and not the trouble maker she has turned herself into in rivers state

You clearly the confused one here.

Is your wife a 'mere domestic appendage' to you? Or in the absence of a wife, is your mother 'a mere domestic appendage' to your mother?
Re: Soyinka's Folly by dayokanu(m): 7:12pm On Jul 16, 2013
PointB:

I don't know why some of you are failing to comprehend a simple sentence. Calling someone's wife, and mother 'a mere domestic appendage' is an 'insult.' It has nothing to do with criticism. Worse still is the fact that the culprit here is someone who should know better. I am beginning to think it a SW thing, equating insult to criticism.

Soyinka told her to be a Lady first before being a first Lady

is that not what you expect of every woman?

is that not what you expect of your wife to be a lady first before she tries to lead others

And calling her a domestic appendage is right. What role has patience in Nigerians Politics? Patience roles in Nigeria currently is as a result of her domestic relationship to Jonathan Simple!!. She wasnt voted, she wasnt appointed and the moment Jonathan ceases to be president she loses any power she has. Just like Turai is a mere citizen right now.
in other words An appendage is an attachment.

Patience is a domestic attachment/appendage.

That descriptions fits her to a T.

If your boss househelp is trying to interfere with company issues, Then you tell him he is a mere domestic appendage and has no business with how the business is run.

Most of you have problems with English thats why comprehension is hard for you
Re: Soyinka's Folly by Delafruita(m): 7:14pm On Jul 16, 2013
PointB:

You clearly the confused one here.

Is your wife a 'mere domestic appendage' to you? Or in the absence of a wife, is your mother 'a mere domestic appendage' to your mother?
grammar is your problem.of course a wife is a domestic appendage first before been any other thing
Re: Soyinka's Folly by PointB: 7:15pm On Jul 16, 2013
dayokanu:

Soyinka told her to be a Lady first before being a first Lady

is that not what you expect of every woman?

is that not what you expect of your wife to be a lady first before she tries to lead others

And calling her a domestic appendage is right. What role has patience in Nigerians Politics? Patience role is as a result of her domestic relationship to Jonathan Simple. She wasnt voted she wasnt appointed and the moment Jonathan ceases to be president she loses any power she has. An appendage is an attachment.

Patience is a domestic attachment/appendage.

That descriptions fits her to a T.

If your boss househelp is trying to interfere with company issues, Then you tell him he is a mere domestic appendage and has no business with how the business is run.

Most of you have problems with English thats why comprehension is hard for you

Fair enough.

Is your mum 'a mere domestic appendage' your dad? Since, expectedly, your dad is the head of the family?
Re: Soyinka's Folly by Tolexander: 7:15pm On Jul 16, 2013
PointB:

So you don't see anything wrong for someone like WS to stoop the the level insulting a woman simply because her husband is a President? Let me ask you, is WS wife a mere domestic appendage too ? Would he be willing to go on an international podium and call his wife such?
you still wallowing in goof. Domestic appendage is different from domestic appendage of power and should stop meddling in power. Not by virtue of her husband's position but her public exercises.

Can we say english is the problem here o what?
Re: Soyinka's Folly by PointB: 7:18pm On Jul 16, 2013
Delafruita: grammar is your problem.of course a wife is a domestic appendage first before been any other thing

I see. You are sired from the same chauvinistic root as Soyinka - a system where women are subjugated as 'mere domestic appendage.' Let me hear from Dayokanu. Perhaps, I might have an idea how much chauvinism is spread in your region.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anambra Stampede At Adoration Ground - The Real Story / Founder Of Boko Haram Is A Member Of The Opposition - FFK / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.