Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,358 members, 7,836,463 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? (20474 Views)

Seven Surprising Mistakes In Marriages. / How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages / Minor Acts That Cause Damage In Marriages. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Dec 01, 2012
Shollypopz: Submission of women without sugar-coating:

1.) Your husband has the final say. If u like voice your opinions as much as u want, his want and will comes b4 urs
2.) He decides what you do to help the family. It's not your choice
3.) You are a subordinate, he is the boss!
4.) You help him achieve his dreams. Yours doesn't matter cos what ur goal and dream should be is helping him achieve his.

hheheehehee *evil grin*.....Submission is crap, plain oppression and bullsh1t! If a home has to hv a head, then let the smarter one take the role. The role shouldn't be defined by gender.

How do you measure smartness? An IQ test? Education? If you really understand what submission means, you will know it is nothing difficult. If you love love spouse, submission will be easy.

1 Like

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Dec 01, 2012
It means a male chauvinism of silly traditional practices to imprison women. I think both couples have to be of equal responsibility in most cases.

5 Likes

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Dec 01, 2012
[CHocolaTE:
]

So what you are saying is that people should follow whatever laws they find in the Bible without bothering to check if these laws are logical/commonsensical?

Can you tell me how this isn't logical? You can't have two masters run a ship. Most companies dont have two CEOs. Most Partnerships are never 50-50. There has to be a leader and it makes perfect sense
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by 1k001(m): 7:46pm On Dec 01, 2012
I think for a man to expect a submissive wife he must first head his family in love, respect and understanding. When this is the case the submission comes naturally -usually- and allows for a peaceful and loving home. That submission covers all matters be it financial, emotional, occupational or physical. When one really looks at it, if a man provides for all the aforementioned needs of the woman adequately then it's not really a question of submission but just the natural thing to do; Dem no dey beg person to come chop better food.

The problem arises when the man tries to rule in pride or exercise dominion or compulsion on his wife, the natural response of course for any woman is to oppose this compulsion. Similarly, a man can be frustrated in his attempt to have a loving environment in his home if his wife is a rancorous woman. The caveat here is to choose your spouse wisely; flee from domineering men and rancorous women respectively.

Methinks that generally speaking men like to feel in charge and for things to go smoothly women need to make them at the very least think they're in charge. This is a skill that's evident in women in successful marriages. I'm not suggesting being subversive but there are ways to settle a difference of opinion that keeps everyone happy.

The man is the head but the woman can be the neck. Where two heads collide one must scatter but where the neck turns the head follows.

2 Likes

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by miredia(m): 7:49pm On Dec 01, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
I dont care what it means in the male world, it's not happening.
. Aunty you aren't under compulsion to do that. That's why you have the priciest thing ever, SOVEREIGN WILL.
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Mavor: 7:51pm On Dec 01, 2012
Look this thing is simple. If women don't like God's arrangement, then (A) Don't marry (B) Join a convent, or (C) Go become a lesbian. Heck, you can do (D) All of the above sef
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by adora4u1: 7:54pm On Dec 01, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Exactly! It's not happening! No way, no how!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by seunajia: 8:10pm On Dec 01, 2012
Nashville:
The issue of submission is both scriptural and sensible. Even though the God Trinity are one, there is a Senior Partner. Most companies are never run on a 50/50 basis, there is always a CEO or Chairman who has overall responsibility and that is the man's role. He has overall responsibility and accountability.

Blasphemy! Partner?! angry
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Dec 01, 2012
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by obowunmi(m): 8:13pm On Dec 01, 2012
slimyem: All i require to be a submissive wife is that my husband respects me as much as i respect him....and all will be well!!

Anything you want dear. Your wish is my command.
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Dec 01, 2012
It would really shed more light to this discussion about 'decisions' if the OP can tell is what kind of decisions we are talking about here?

There are some things or can I say decisions in a marriage that's just no brainer that a man is better of to execute them ... as long the wife's consent is given.
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Afam4eva(m): 8:25pm On Dec 01, 2012
If the Bible is not the standard for the life or you and your spouse then you better not try the submission thingy else you'll be submitted to your grave. It's only men who understand the scripture that know that they should love their wives in return.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Dec 01, 2012
Three general categories that describe many marriages:
1) Non-Christian Feminism
No distinction between the roles of husband and wife. They live parallel lives, legally married but functionally single.
2) Christian Egalitarianism
No distinction between the roles of husband and wife. They also live parallel lives, but often share some unifying, ephemeral elements (e.g. kids, hobbies, church).
3) Christian Complementarianism
Husband and wife fulfill distinct and equal roles. They live as one together under God’s authority with unified purpose.
h3. Wives are to follow their husband’s leadership
Husbands are commanded to love their wives as Jesus loves the Church (Eph. 5:25); Jesus died for the Church. Jesus’ example guards against chauvinism and other abuses of the principle of submission.
Ways a husband can handle disagreements with his wife: Pray and discuss with your wife. Be patient. Wait for her to come around.
Appeal to a higher authority (pastor/counselor).
If the matter is pressing and/or a decision cannot be reached, the husband must decide. His wife should submit to the decision.
h3. Wives are to preach wordless sermons
Those who have unbelieving husbands should not nag or be preachy, but rather love, serve, and respect their husbands, praying that God would use these actions to soften the husband’s heart.
h3. Wives are to cultivate true beauty
There is nothing wrong with outward beauty, but it is “fleeting and deceptive” (Prov. 31:30). Holiness is true beauty. Godly wives have a quiet and gentle spirit; they are not silent, but prudent (knowing when and where to speak).
h3. Wives should seek to know exemplary women
Peter gives Sarah as an example, and the Bible is clear that she is flawed. She is exemplary for her honesty and repentance, not because she is perfect; she ultimately did submit to God and to her husband.
h3. Wives should fight fear
Fear (what if it doesn’t work out? what if I’m unhappy? what if my husband makes a bad decision?) makes life miserable and should be fought against by faith.
h3. Submission Does Not Mean:
A husband is in ultimate authority.
A wife does not have independent thoughts.
A wife does not seek to influence her husband.
A wife must obey her husband’s command to sin.
A wife is less intelligent or competent than her husband.
h3. Submission Does Mean:
A husband and wife are equal with complementary roles.
Wives are to submit like Jesus did in Gethsemane (Luke 22:42).
Husbands are to lovingly lead like Jesus does the Church (Eph. 5:25).
A single woman should only marry a man she can follow.
Christian marriage shows the Trinity and the gospel.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by seunajia: 8:49pm On Dec 01, 2012
LMAO. This is like the 100000000th time we're gonna be having this kinda thread here. And the usual suspects are here too grin

Some ladies feel their level of achievement or exposure makes them superior or at-least equals to their spouses cheesy I laugh in roman numerals. Plenty examples of such ladies are abound here and in Europe.

And you see lol, an outrightly du.mb person is that one who sees another right in front of him fall into a pit and...falls after him cheesy I know my right!!! Independent woman!!! Single mother!!! All I need is a fluid donor!!! undecided

And you find them packing their boss' poo at work o grin intelligent gerl! Her middle name is logic;-)

Ma submit sogbo. Erin e pami *long hiss*

Hahahaha lol. I'm just messing around. Coogar has said it all!

1 Like

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Dec 01, 2012
[CHocolaTE:
]I really want to know because the Bible verses that talk about submission do not really expantiate on what it means for a woman to submit to her husband.
In Ephesians 5:22 - 24, Paul starts on the subject of husbands and wives with this statement, "Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church; and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything."

What does the term 'submission' entail? Does it mean women should seek the approval of their husbands before they take any decision in life? Does it mean the husband is the one that is supposed to decide whatever major step the wife takes in life? Please I need to understand.

1. Men: What does submission mean to you? How do you expect a submissive wife to act?

2. Women: What things do you need to do to be regarded as a submissive wife?

Thanks for your contributions.

This is what submission means

Numbers 30
New International Version (NIV)
Vows

30 [a]Moses said to the heads of the tribes of Israel: “This is what the Lord commands: 2 When a man makes a vow to the Lord or takes an oath to obligate himself by a pledge, he must not break his word but must do everything he said.

3 “When a young woman still living in her father’s household makes a vow to the Lord or obligates herself by a pledge 4 and her father hears about her vow or pledge but says nothing to her, then all her vows and every pledge by which she obligated herself will stand. 5 But if her father forbids her when he hears about it, none of her vows or the pledges by which she obligated herself will stand; the Lord will release her because her father has forbidden her.

6 “If she marries after she makes a vow or after her lips utter a rash promise by which she obligates herself 7 and her husband hears about it but says nothing to her, then her vows or the pledges by which she obligated herself will stand. 8 But if her husband forbids her when he hears about it, he nullifies the vow that obligates her or the rash promise by which she obligates herself, and the Lord will release her.

9 “Any vow or obligation taken by a widow or divorced woman will be binding on her.

10 “If a woman living with her husband makes a vow or obligates herself by a pledge under oath 11 and her husband hears about it but says nothing to her and does not forbid her, then all her vows or the pledges by which she obligated herself will stand. 12 But if her husband nullifies them when he hears about them, then none of the vows or pledges that came from her lips will stand. Her husband has nullified them, and the Lord will release her. 13 Her husband may confirm or nullify any vow she makes or any sworn pledge to deny herself.[b] 14 But if her husband says nothing to her about it from day to day, then he confirms all her vows or the pledges binding on her. He confirms them by saying nothing to her when he hears about them. 15 If, however, he nullifies them some time after he hears about them, then he must bear the consequences of her wrongdoing.”

16 These are the regulations the Lord gave Moses concerning relationships between a man and his wife, and between a father and his young daughter still living at home.
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by trolling(m): 8:56pm On Dec 01, 2012
Witty07:

This is what submission means

Numbers 30
New International Version (NIV)
Vows

30 [a]Moses said to the heads of the tribes of Israel: “This is what the Lord commands: 2 When a man makes a vow to the Lord or takes an oath to obligate himself by a pledge, he must not break his word but must do everything he said.

3 “When a young woman still living in her father’s household makes a vow to the Lord or obligates herself by a pledge 4 and her father hears about her vow or pledge but says nothing to her, then all her vows and every pledge by which she obligated herself will stand. 5 But if her father forbids her when he hears about it, none of her vows or the pledges by which she obligated herself will stand; the Lord will release her because her father has forbidden her.

6 “If she marries after she makes a vow or after her lips utter a rash promise by which she obligates herself 7 and her husband hears about it but says nothing to her, then her vows or the pledges by which she obligated herself will stand. 8 But if her husband forbids her when he hears about it, he nullifies the vow that obligates her or the rash promise by which she obligates herself, and the Lord will release her.

9 “Any vow or obligation taken by a widow or divorced woman will be binding on her.

10 “If a woman living with her husband makes a vow or obligates herself by a pledge under oath 11 and her husband hears about it but says nothing to her and does not forbid her, then all her vows or the pledges by which she obligated herself will stand. 12 But if her husband nullifies them when he hears about them, then none of the vows or pledges that came from her lips will stand. Her husband has nullified them, and the Lord will release her. 13 Her husband may confirm or nullify any vow she makes or any sworn pledge to deny herself.[b] 14 But if her husband says nothing to her about it from day to day, then he confirms all her vows or the pledges binding on her. He confirms them by saying nothing to her when he hears about them. 15 If, however, he nullifies them some time after he hears about them, then he must bear the consequences of her wrongdoing.”

16 These are the regulations the Lord gave Moses concerning relationships between a man and his wife, and between a father and his young daughter still living at home.
Now i see someone who understands marriage...keep it up
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Bawss1(m): 8:57pm On Dec 01, 2012
The unquestioned assumption behind the premise of this thread is that
The pronouncements of Paul = The voice of the Almighty
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Pimples(m): 9:03pm On Dec 01, 2012
50calibre: Submission of my wife to me means

- She accepts and appreciates my superiority and never challenges nor contradicts my decision rather she can let her opinions known politely.

- She respects and see me as her priority coming second in her life after God and can only pray to God and hope that I reciprocate the respect.

- She sees me as her supreme leader, and should always make herself available without second thoughts or hesitation for her conjugal duties, cooking, or anything else should I demand it of her.

- She should see my love for her as a privileged and not a right, and should work tirelessly to earn and keep my love.

Reading through your post, only one thing came to mind. DICTATOR.
You sound as if you are some sort of god. You really need to improve as far as equality and justice is concerned.

1 Like

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by sugah: 9:05pm On Dec 01, 2012
@OP, coogar made a lot of sense. Listen to him

God asked the man to love his wife and the woman to be submissive to her husband. Those are the hardest things for both genders.
Ephesians 5:22...wives be in subjection to your own husband, as unto the lord. If you know God and love God and know that God has the best plans for you (even if most times we want our own way than submit to Gods will), then you would see your husband in the same light.
It means whatever decision he makes you support him (even if you don't agree). If the result comes out good, you both celebrate. If it gets effed up, you (refrain from doing the 'I told you so speech') and help him back to the drawing board.
Marriage is a union, partnership...a journey and definitely not a competition about who is smarter or makes better decisions etc.

But please also know that this applies to men that has a good head on their shoulders. A disciplined and God fearing man who understands his role as a husband and the head of the house, and the christ the woman sees. Eph 5:25

@OP proverbs 31 gives you the true qualities of a wife. Read it and pray for Gods understanding about the institution of marriage.
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by 50calibre(m): 9:16pm On Dec 01, 2012
Pimples:

Reading through your post, only one thing came to mind. DICTATOR.
You sound as if you are some sort of god. You really need to improve as far as equality and justice is concerned.

There is something called HIERARCHY, are everyone in the military or a country or an organization equal? Equality doesnt apply to marriage and family life, the moment equality and justice is brought into the family, the family goes into chaos and ruin.

1 Like

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by 50calibre(m): 9:19pm On Dec 01, 2012
sanb: Wow...dude are you for real? These rules are what you find in a military camp; SMH...I hope you ain't gonna use these rules to scare your spouse...

No she shouldn't be scared, a real woman will appreciate these rules
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Dec 01, 2012
Mentally unhinged?..... pow! Pow!!! Pow!!!...right in the eye( sharp shooter) grin grin
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Dec 01, 2012
50calibre:

There is something called HIERARCHY, are everyone in the military or a country or an organization equal? Equality doesnt apply to marriage and family life, the moment equality [b]and justice [/b]is brought into the family, the family goes into chaos and ruin.

Thank God you still have the presence of mind to admit that there is no justice in your method. There may still be hope yet for the poor woman caught in your web..
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by 50calibre(m): 9:23pm On Dec 01, 2012
adora4u1:

BULLSHIT! You're not a MAN! More like an ANIMAL!

We are all animals, just higher animal
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Dec 01, 2012
50calibre:

There is something called HIERARCHY, are everyone in the military or a country or an organization equal? Equality doesnt apply to marriage and family life, the moment equality and justice is brought into the family, the family goes into chaos and ruin.
You are missing servitude for rank(that's when hierarchy comes in). Submission is form of oppression that favor one gender above the other and can be very potent in some society that likes men to be worshipped by women. Rather than to share as a couple with differences per gender, through beliefs and customs and equal in responsibility one is forced to be the slave. Women have a lot they play in a family and that must be respected as well as the men. But, when it become servitude that is what I don't agree with on the subject of submission. The definition of submission is indeed tricky and sounds like oppression or enslavement. I wouldn't want any of my sisters to be slaves to any man, because that is what submission means in the world of chauvinist!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by 50calibre(m): 9:32pm On Dec 01, 2012
ileobatojo:

Thank God you still have the presence of mind to admit that there is no justice in your method. There may still be hope yet for the poor woman caught in your web..

A real woman who wishes to live under a man, commit her self to him and forge a future for her and her kids, shouldn't expect justice but leadership from her husband
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Dec 01, 2012
Ah, right on cue! Dance to my tune, mad dog, dance!!
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Dec 01, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
lol..why dnt u leave our world?
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by mikuz(m): 9:34pm On Dec 01, 2012
all4naija: It means a male chauvinism of silly traditional practices to imprison women. I think both couples have to be of equal responsibility in most cases.
You getting it wrong. This has nothing to do with chauvinism.
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Dec 01, 2012
mikuz:
You getting it wrong. This has nothing to do with chauvinism.
What does it has to do with? What is male chauvinism?
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Dec 01, 2012
50calibre:

A real woman who wishes to live under a man, commit her self to him and forge a future for her and her kids, shouldn't expect justice but leadership from her husband

A man who cannot lead justly is not a real man or a leader, but a pretender.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Dec 01, 2012
Ouch! The other eye is still functioning! Pow!!!!!
In the other eye! cheesy come on mad dogs go eat her up! cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Professor And Wife Celebrate 55th Wedding Anniversary (Photo) / Ladies, Is It A Bad Thing To Wash For Your Husband's Mother? / Woman Welcomes Triplets A Year After Losing Her Child (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.