Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,455 members, 7,830,268 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:59 PM

Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. (20109 Views)

Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? / Some Churches Carry-out Pregnancy Test Before Wedding: Why? / Is Anointing Oil Still Relevant In The New Testament? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Nobody: 3:47am On Dec 02, 2012
If we go over snowwys post, we realise the bible said the elders should anoint 'the sick'. Just like jo affirmed, the anointing with oil is rather MEDICATIVE and not MIRACLATIVE or in any way spiritual. Back then oil was rather a medication to speed up the recovery of a sick man. ( I mean the use of oil as stated in that passage is as a medication more like, 'if any of you has headache let him call the elders and they give him paracetamol ').
That is the reason why the latter part affirmed that 'the prayer of faith willl heal the sick' .Now we find even people who are not sick in any form being annointed with oil when we know it's quite misleading.
The arguement that it builds faith is quite heretic too. Where does the bible affirm that heretic practices build faith ?
Young christians faith should be built on scriptural and sound doctrine not that we will continue to mislead them and claim we are building there faith.
People need to understand that the heart of a king is the lords like proverbs said and it is only God that can turn it.
It is the deficiency in sound doctrine that has led to people needing physical things to build faith. If we spent more time in rightly dividing the word and debunking all heresies like this, christians faiht wouldn't need no panel beating in the first place.
Why is it that most things that generate funds for the church are being abused with reckless abandon? If you are a pastor and you have been misleading your congregation know that on the judgement day you will be held accountable. You can continue rationalising so that your earnings will not drop but believe me you shall be held accountable.

So much zeal without knowledge I tell ya.

2 Likes

Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by SisiKill1: 4:08am On Dec 02, 2012
^^^^ Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Baaaaaaack up! MEDICATIVE not MIRACLATIVE?! What does that mean??!!

Are you trying to tell me that that the anointing oil I got from last night's Vigil that's supposed to make my boss' body start itching after I anoint his chair isn't going work? angry

What about my Multi million dollar proposal. . .the one I doused in anointing oil before submitting it? No chance? shocked shocked

Oh shoot! This totally explains the weird look I got when I went for that interview covered in anointing oil from head to toe (I actually bathed in it oh). Does this mean my pastor lied when he said the job wasn't meant for me after I showed him the rejection letter the company sent me stating that they couldn't hire me right now but I could try again. . . after a 3 month stint at the psych ward.

I am so confused right now. undecided

1 Like

Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by BabaTony: 4:11am On Dec 02, 2012
I think the topic should rather read "how some churches and members abuse the use of anointing oil", the use of anointing oil is scriptural but the abuse today by some churches and their members is what I don't understand. You see, I have a friend, when she was sick, we all prayed, the pastor was invited and we all prayed together and anointed her with anointing oil as prescribed in James. I expected her to take a rest and allow God to his thing but NO immediately she started feeling the symptoms of the illness she grabbed her own olive oil and started rubbing it all over her body with serious prayers pleading of the blood of Jesus. It was as if nobody had ever prayed for her before. To me it showed me she believed in the "powers" of anointing oil than the power of the spoken word of God.
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Nobody: 4:14am On Dec 02, 2012
Sisi_Kill: ^^^^ Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Baaaaaaack up! MEDICATIVE not MIRACLATIVE?! What does that mean??!!

Are you trying to tell me that that the anointing oil I got from last night's Vigil that's supposed to make my boss' body start itching after I anoint his chair isn't going work? angry

What about my Multi million dollar proposal. . .the one I doused in anointing oil before submitting it? No chance? shocked shocked

Oh shoot! This totally explains the weird look I got when I went for that interview covered in anointing oil from head to toe (I actually bathed in it oh). Does this mean my pastor lied when he said the job wasn't meant for me after I showed him the rejection letter the company sent me stating that they couldn't hire me right now but I could try again. . . after a 3 month stint at the psych ward.

You are soon gon be shot for this post. A bounty is already being declared on your head as we speak. You can hide in my crib till the dust settles if you don't mind. It's cold out there you know. *rubs hands and smacks tongue in anticipation*

1 Like

Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Goshen360(m): 4:23am On Dec 02, 2012
Guitarlife: If we go over snowwys post, we realise the bible said the elders should anoint 'the sick'. Just like jo affirmed, the anointing with oil is rather MEDICATIVE and not MIRACLATIVE or in any way spiritual. Back then oil was rather a medication to speed up the recovery of a sick man. ( I mean the use of oil as stated in that passage is as a medication more like, 'if any of you has headache let him call the elders and they give him paracetamol ').
That is the reason why the latter part affirmed that 'the prayer of faith willl heal the sick' .Now we find even people who are not sick in any form being annointed with oil when we know it's quite misleading.
The arguement that it builds faith is quite heretic too. Where does the bible affirm that heretic practices build faith ?
Young christians faith should be built on scriptural and sound doctrine not that we will continue to mislead them and claim we are building there faith.
People need to understand that the heart of a king is the lords like proverbs said and it is only God that can turn it.
It is the deficiency in sound doctrine that has led to people needing physical things to build faith. If we spent more time in rightly dividing the word and debunking all heresies like this, christians faiht wouldn't need no panel beating in the first place.
Why is it that most things that generate funds for the church are being abused with reckless abandon? If you are a pastor and you have been misleading your congregation know that on the judgement day you will be held accountable. You can continue rationalising so that your earnings will not drop but believe me you shall be held accountable.o

So much zeal without knowledge I tell ya.

You are well taught in the things of the Spirit
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by SisiKill1: 4:31am On Dec 02, 2012
Guitarlife: You are soon gon be shot for this post. A bounty is already being declared on your head as we speak. You can hide in my crib till the dust settles if you don't mind. It's cold out there you know. *rubs hands and smacks tongue in anticipation*
LMFAO! Hmmm, why does Spider and the Fly poem suddenly comes to mind.

The things I have seen people do with anointing oil. . .thank GOD it doesn't work the way they want it too.

I don't get how some Christians justify the use of something they prayed on to destroy other people. Oh sure, sure they are gonna come back with the "enemy of progress" answer but the truth is these enemies chasing them and "blocking their progress" are just imagined. If you truly believe you worship a living God, why would you think someone has run mad, be incapacitated or completely removed from the situation before you can progress?!!
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by TreasuredGlory: 4:52am On Dec 02, 2012
You have said it all. God bless you for this and give you more inspiration. God bless you real good.
Image123:
Gosh, stop being an annoying bully. here is sound doctine,
Mat 9:29 Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you.

Mar 10:52 And Jesus said unto him, Go thy way; thy faith hath made thee whole. And immediately he received his sight, and followed Jesus in the way.

Some people can walk unaided, some people need an aid. Some people can see unaided, some people can only see with the use of an aid. We all need some form of aid to see somethings, maybe a recommended glasses, a microscope, or a telescope. Some people need aid for their faith. you don't need to come here or go anywhere making arguments over nothing. Perhaps you're grown up in faith, allow the kids to their toys and fun. They're not going to hell for it. You can teach them, but do it in love and in maturity.
Gal 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such a one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

The scriptures even records the use of anointing with oil.
Mar 6:13 And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them.
Psa 23:5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Adding that to the James passage. At least, i don't expect any terrorist to come here saying that the practice is pagan or of pagan origin. God encourages faith, we are not all on the same level of faith. Some people have great faith, some people have little faith. Not all believrs are like the centurion that needs "speak the Word only". Some require a touch, some need an apron or handkerchief(Paul may have spoken the Word only for some), some have faith with some medicine, some believe and don't use medicine, some have faith with a Peter's shadow to help, some can pray for themselves, some will "catch" faith only when G.O prays for them or they reach Bonnke crusade. Some have faith to pray in their room, some need to go to a particular location/camp/mountain and their faith soars like it was looking for network. It's different strokes for different folks, that's life for you. Some people would not get their healing until they touch the hem of a particular person's garment, some is until they drink water from a particular minister. At the end, the important thing is to not miss God, His righteousness, and His Kingdom. Whether you are healed by anointing oil or by reading Bible, without holiness, no man will see God. All should live a righteous life, pleasing to God, and focus on the Head Jesus.
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by ignis: 5:19am On Dec 02, 2012
The use of anointing oil depends on doctrine. There is nothing wrong with it. It is an earthly symbol with heavenly significance.
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by miqos02(m): 6:04am On Dec 02, 2012
@op.its a matter of faith,if u believe in it,use it.if u don't make ur faith work for u.its just like asking if tithing is right or wrong
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by salt1: 6:11am On Dec 02, 2012
Sisi_Kill: ^^^^ Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Baaaaaaack up! MEDICATIVE not MIRACLATIVE?! What does that mean??!!

Tell me you're joking, Sisi Kill. HaVe things degenerated to this extent? Where have I been?
I know that oil is used to anoint the sick as written in James and only by the elders of the church. So individuals now carry their own about as goodluck charm and to destroy enemies? How do they justify it?
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by dnawah(m): 6:14am On Dec 02, 2012
I dogge am,i want God to bless and be happy with me,not to be angry with me.i no go talk wetin i no no o!
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by PastorOla1: 6:31am On Dec 02, 2012
Nothing is wrong with the use of anointing oil but it can be abused, so the scripture must be followed.
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Nobody: 6:34am On Dec 02, 2012
Anointing oil is use a reference,or believe to thing unseen,is like having faith.
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Nobody: 6:49am On Dec 02, 2012
@OP.. the OIL works and scriptures validate it. Don't only use it in church go out and preach the gospel and anoint the sick with oil..use it to cast out devils..and by that you are advancing God's kingdom..peace
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Goshen360(m): 7:02am On Dec 02, 2012
Bidam: @OP.. the OIL works and scriptures validate it. Don't only use it in church go out and preach the gospel and anoint the sick with oil..use it to cast out devils..and by that you are advancing God's kingdom..peace

At least before you make such statement, you should have asked the OP if he is an elder.

New International Version (©1984)
Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. - James 5:14

This is the clear picture of abuse we are talking about....with this kind of statement of yours, you can even tell the OP to drink the oil.
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Fatima75(f): 7:03am On Dec 02, 2012
baseg25: i created a thread concerning anointng service and i mention d use of anointing oil buh sum members of ds gr8 site oppose THE USE OF ANOINTING OIL...MY FELLOW NAIRALANDERS IS THE USE OF ANOINTING OIL RIGHT OR WRONG BY SUM CHURCHES...WATEVER U SUPPORT CNCERNING DS GR8 TOPIC, STATE WITH REASON

As long as they dont use it as a means of extorting money from people, I dont see anything wrong with it. cool
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Pstbeloved: 7:14am On Dec 02, 2012
Wrong or Right in anointing oil usage it depends on the user's faith, is it on the oil or God. Where the user builds his determine the wrong or right.
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Goshen360(m): 7:28am On Dec 02, 2012
The oil usage and/or anointing is ONLY scriptural when used within the scriptural context. Dedicating a "special service" to oil wherein church people are asked to bring bottle of oil is nothing than a ritual and herbalistic practice in the body of Christ. It is not different from going to herbalist and get something to use. Now, I know you know the scripture but let's stay in context here.

First, Matthew 25:3 reads,

The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them.

Second, Mark 6:13

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
And they cast out many demons, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them.

Third,

Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. - James 5:14

The oil is a symbol and signifies the Holy Spirit. Isaiah 61:1. In the scriptural verses of Matthew and Mark quoted above, the oil was symbol of the Holy Spirit for the Holy Spirit had not yet come until after the death of Christ. The story of shows believers need the Holy Spirit. The story of healing by the disciples shows AFTER demons are cast out of the possessed, they will need the Holy Spirit, otherwise, they will be open to another demonic possession.

The very case of James that many people quote and misapply out of context says,

Simple instruction - Call the elders! Today, everyone carry bottle of oil in their bags and wallets. Special anointing oil is conducted with special emphasis on oil from Israel in some cases. Some drink oil. Some Pastors sell "special oil" and all sort of madness going on with mere oil. In James 5:15, it is clearly written, NOT the oil that later saves the sick BUT RATHER THE PRAYER OF FAITH.

Lemme stop here for now so I don't worn you out with too many words...... cool

1 Like

Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by BabaTony: 7:46am On Dec 02, 2012
Goshen360: The oil usage and/or anointing is ONLY scriptural when used within the scriptural context. Dedicating a "special service" to oil wherein church people are asked to bring bottle of oil is nothing than a ritual and herbalistic practice in the body of Christ. It is not different from going to herbalist and get something to use. Now, I know you know the scripture but let's stay in context here.

And they cast out many demons, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them.

Third,

The oil is a symbol and signifies the Holy Spirit. Isaiah 61:1. In the scriptural verses of Matthew and Mark quoted above, the oil was symbol of the Holy Spirit for the Holy Spirit had not yet come until after the death of Christ. The story of shows believers need the Holy Spirit. The story of healing by the disciples shows AFTER demons are cast out of the possessed, they will need the Holy Spirit, otherwise, they will be open to another demonic possession.

Simple instruction - Call the elders! Today, everyone carry bottle of oil in their bags and wallets. Special anointing oil is conducted with special emphasis on oil from Israel in some cases. Some drink oil. Some Pastors sell "special oil" and all sort of madness going on with mere oil. In James 5:15, it is clearly written, NOT the oil that later saves the sick BUT RATHER THE PRAYER OF FAITH.

God bless you joor... People want to practice christianity as if they are practicing juju... E no go work!
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by peziz(f): 7:47am On Dec 02, 2012
@Ghosen I like what you wrote. Truely a lot of things have been abused and wrongly taught these days.
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by stagger: 7:49am On Dec 02, 2012
OP,

why not go to a native doctor and ask him whether the alligator pepper he uses for his stuff is right or wrong?

It is on Nairaland that you want to get answers to a spiritual mystery. You no get bible?
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by bola4dprec(m): 8:08am On Dec 02, 2012
James 5:14-15 Is any sick among you?
let him call for the elders of the church;
and let them pray over him, anointing
him with oil in the name of the Lord: And
the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and
the Lord shall raise him up; and if he
have committed sins, they shall be
forgiven him.
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by searay(m): 8:09am On Dec 02, 2012
I once went to conduct a deliverance service for a brother's family, i went there with a bottle of annoiting oil which got broken due to the severity of the situation before the actual deliverance.
The devil can be trickish sometimes so I prefer going with the spiritual anoiting oil(the unseen one)
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by omiobo: 8:12am On Dec 02, 2012
Let me share a testimony.
When I used to live with mum,there was a neighbor that was attacked with swollen leg. She has been to everywhere but all to no avail. And mum a new winners chapel member was given anointing oil which she applied on the woman's leg.
Behold brethren,before the morning of the next day the swollen leg was restore to normal but when my mum shared what she experienced during the night I couldn't help but laughed. She said,she was beating in the dream by elderly women for loosing the woman they bondaged. Being JJC in christ,she was restless the next morning, and I laughed so tey water commot for my eyes.
That very day I was marvelled at the work of anointing oil. Anointing is very right.
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by obyrich(m): 8:12am On Dec 02, 2012
Goshen360: The oil usage and/or anointing is ONLY scriptural when used within the scriptural context. Dedicating a "special service" to oil wherein church people are asked to bring bottle of oil is nothing than a ritual and herbalistic practice in the body of Christ. It is not different from going to herbalist and get something to use. Now, I know you know the scripture but let's stay in context here.

Third,

I'm not against the use of oil but I think further light should be thrown on what type of oil is approved by the scripture. Is palmoil permissible in case olive oil is not handy? I hope you guys know that there are some oil that can be used to enhance vision. Specially prepared and concencrated by spiritualists and copiously used by miracle workers to enhance their job.
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Nobody: 8:14am On Dec 02, 2012
stagger: OP,

why not go to a native doctor and ask him whether the alligator pepper he uses for his stuff is right or wrong?

It is on Nairaland that you want to get answers to a spiritual mystery. You no get bible?
Was that really necessary eh? If you've nothing meaningful to add to d topic y not shut your trap?
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Nobody: 8:18am On Dec 02, 2012
I heard they use vegetable oil most times cheesy
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by omiobo: 8:36am On Dec 02, 2012

Third,

Yea,I agreed with the scripture but read the testimony I shared above. My mum was a JJC in christ and God delivered her neighbour through the anointing she was given in church. So what happen in her case,she was not an elder but she anointed the woman and woman got healed.. My brother,instructions differ. I'm not against what you wrote but don't condemn God's given instruction to others out of ignorance. Some are given instructions,some abuse the instruction given to others to gain members.
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Nobody: 9:07am On Dec 02, 2012

. Dis man u get mouth. So u won kill ur boss?
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Vincent41(m): 9:33am On Dec 02, 2012
[quote author=obyrich]What type of Oil? Crude oil, olive oil, palm oil or 'special anointing' oil sourced from a spiritual market? [/quot

Groundnut oil
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by mikuz(m): 9:36am On Dec 02, 2012
There's nothing wrong with it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jesus Never Wore Robe: A Preaching Against Men Who Wear Women's Clothing / Pastor YEMI Exposing Christ Embassy Pastor Chris Birthday Celebration Money Cult / Why Is There So Much Hate For Islam ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.