Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,985 members, 7,814,358 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:38 AM

Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin (10295 Views)

Numbers Of Federal Workers By State Of Origin-- Bureau Of Public Service / Should State Of Residence Replace State Of Origin? / Should State Of Residence Replace State Of Origin In The Constitution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by stineb1: 5:20pm On Dec 01, 2012
Tusky44: [b]The Niger Delta people always quick to beat their chest and aver that the Igbos want to claim their oil. Let me educate you once and for a very long time. Your so-called oil is almost halved cos the Fulani had to repay Britain and America for helping them during the civil war. Shell and their likes have damaged your region and they make all the money in profits while your sleazy Nigerian politicians ask for crumbs to remain silent.

The remaining 50% of your oil revenue is shared between the other Nigerian states which leaves you in abject poverty and misery. When we talk of Igbo land, we don't aim for your oil. We are actually referring to the talented human resource in the Southeast. We are talking of people who are capable of engaging in international trade and prospering. Honestly, your oil isn't as important to us as your Onne seaport. We can allow you to have your Ijaw nation or South-south region but sign an agreement that we can import and export via Onne, Calabar, Akwaibom and Delta. You can tap into our vast human resource and learn trades from us. You can partner with us to forge the new world order in West Africa.

The future is not oil. It is natural gas, renewables, recycling, education, and military might. Stop talking about oil please. USA will become self-sufficient with locally produced oil. China even has more shale gas reserves than the whole of North America and as i type, there is a major campaign to start exploring shale in China. For the last time, it isn't your oil in riverine area that can sustain you, your land and water has been destroyed and we can help you clean it up. If you disagree, wait for Akinyomi, Ogunjobi, Yerima, Abdulahi, and co to assist you.[/b]

Im sure you have been expecting a LIKE for this senseless write up of yours. Keep waiting!

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by Fphotographer(f): 7:50pm On Dec 01, 2012
If u hav nt bin victimized because of ur state of origin u wont undstand d bnefits of dis bill,4instnc i was born n bread in a state whr ma parents hav resided and al der stay in dis state sums up 2 38 yrs,do u knw i culdnt get into d state uni because of state of orign?al d rvnue d states colcts frm d fedral gvmnt includs d share of ma family whch we nva bnefit frm,al d schol i went 2 d mny was spnt in d state whch boost d total gdp of d state,al d labor ma parents labord was in dat state,we built a hous der. And afta al dis we d childrn cnt go 2 d uni der? Mehn dats bulshit.... I havnt evn slp mor dan 4nits in ma state, so pls guys d idea is 'perfecto' mak al man get equal rits

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by JomoGbomo2(m): 8:57pm On Dec 01, 2012
Much as I support this idea I still believe GEJ and his cohorts may not fully understand what they are saying.

1. This means there will be no Niger Delta related favours and issues, you can be Hausa but will also be qualified for amnesty training in Dubai and allowee as long as you reside in the ND region. (We all will move to that region asap)

2. This will also naturally kill the federal character thingy in all our national issues

3. There will be no ELDS in our eduacation anymore, so as long as you are competitive enough in your state of choice, just move there couple of years before you are ready to apply

More to come..had to attend to smtin urgent
Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by Nobody: 9:31pm On Dec 01, 2012
afam4eva:
An indigene is someone whose ancestors are from a particular place but has never set eyes or been to that place e.g Shymex. Yet someone who was born and lived in that place for over 50 years is not recognized.

Lmaoooo Slap of the century on Shymexx's cheeks.

Anyway, I agree that length of residency in a place should grant you some sort of rights. Nigerians should be encouraged to live amongst each other peacefully. Thats the first step to establishing oneness and building a Nation.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by Nobody: 9:41pm On Dec 01, 2012
Fphotographer: If u hav nt bin victimized because of ur state of origin u wont undstand d bnefits of dis bill,4instnc i was born n bread in a state whr ma parents hav resided and al der stay in dis state sums up 2 38 yrs, do u knw i culdnt get into d state uni because of state of orign? al d rvnue d states colcts frm d fedral gvmnt includs d share of ma family whch we nva bnefit frm,al d schol i went 2 d mny was spnt in d state whch boost d total gdp of d state,al d labor ma parents labord was in dat state,we built a hous der. And afta al dis we d childrn cnt go 2 d uni der? Mehn dats bulshit.... I havnt evn slp mor dan 4nits in ma state, so pls guys d idea is 'perfecto' mak al man get equal rits

No, you couldnt get into the University because of the way you write.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by auwal87(m): 10:24pm On Dec 01, 2012
Wake up Nigerians and Jonathan and Northerners and Southerners, wake up, you are still dreaming, wake up and face reality, Haba! The dream that will never come true! The force that kept the country moving as one is OIL, wealth, corruption! So simple it is; Wake up Jona! grin

Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by Revolva(m): 11:02pm On Dec 01, 2012
Cliffmatrix: Oga Jona,dat won't work because dere's no way hausa/fulani pple will mix up with pple of d southern states without breedin terrorism.
See jonathan says what he can't do but I must warn you that this earth we will die and leave here what concerns you if they mix and breed new breed - africans in the next 1000 years will have more mix tribes ok
Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by solomonkane(m): 12:03am On Dec 02, 2012
Ikwere fist son: my heart bleeds 2 se dat we stl hav iliterates of your ordr in nija delta.listen mumu,wen ibos tok biafra dy speak 4dmsfs nd nt us.nd besids ibos dnt need we nija deltans.we hav oil dy hav,we hav gas dy hav we re nt as educatd as dy are.an ibo iliterate biznsman kan educate all d fishermen in ur vilage.mumu u dnt knw dat u kant acheve anytn political in nija witot d suport of d hboslet dm hav dia biafra nd we wil hav our own con3 cm out of ur shell of stupidity nd ignorance.mugu

Calling you daft would be a great insult to all daft people across the world. You do not have the IQ God gave a sewer rat.
Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by solomonkane(m): 12:07am On Dec 02, 2012
Tusky44: [b]The Niger Delta people always quick to beat their chest and aver that the Igbos want to claim their oil. Let me educate you once and for a very long time. Your so-called oil is almost halved cos the Fulani had to repay Britain and America for helping them during the civil war. Shell and their likes have damaged your region and they make all the money in profits while your sleazy Nigerian politicians ask for crumbs to remain silent.

The remaining 50% of your oil revenue is shared between the other Nigerian states which leaves you in abject poverty and misery. When we talk of Igbo land, we don't aim for your oil. We are actually referring to the talented human resource in the Southeast. We are talking of people who are capable of engaging in international trade and prospering. Honestly, your oil isn't as important to us as your Onne seaport. We can allow you to have your Ijaw nation or South-south region but sign an agreement that we can import and export via Onne, Calabar, Akwaibom and Delta. You can tap into our vast human resource and learn trades from us. You can partner with us to forge the new world order in West Africa.

The future is not oil. It is natural gas, renewables, recycling, education, and military might. Stop talking about oil please. USA will become self-sufficient with locally produced oil. China even has more shale gas reserves than the whole of North America and as i type, there is a major campaign to start exploring shale in China. For the last time, it isn't your oil in riverine area that can sustain you, your land and water has been destroyed and we can help you clean it up. If you disagree, wait for Akinyomi, Ogunjobi, Yerima, Abdulahi, and co to assist you.[/b]

Wow!!!! Now this post cracked me up. grin grin grin grin grin grin The stupidity behind it is so profound, it leaves one in awe of the power of stupidity.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by solomonkane(m): 12:20am On Dec 02, 2012
Abagworo: What the President said is the right thing. That's why I've always been against the Beroms in the Jos crisis. A Nigerian should not be seen as a settler in another part of Nigeria. We are all Nigerians. Most of the people promoting ethnicity are misinformed or have alterior political ambitions. If we continue this way, Nigeria will never develop.

Sensible. concise and on point. May you never live in interesting times (paraphrasing the famous Chinese saying). I support the idea 100% but implementation won't come easy. In urban areas like Lagos, Abuja (and to a very lesser extent other state capitals), it may work but try explaining to the average non-cosmopolitan person why the "foreigner" should be able to acquire land, own property and stand for election and hear the vituperation that will follow. Until we begin to change our ethnic identities for a national one, forget our unwholesome attachment to land and natural resources and actually see things from mutually beneficial angles, nothing will change ( at least not for the 18 and above generation but our kids will not inherit this attitude)

I believe the NASS can start by passing a law replacing "state of origin" with "state of residence" but then we have roadblocks like Federal Character, Quota System, Catchment Areas and other well-intentioned but horribly implemented policies so they will have to go first. It all boils down to one thing: IS THE POLITICAL WILL TO SEE IT THROUGH PRESENT?
Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by solomonkane(m): 12:29am On Dec 02, 2012
gidiMonsta:

Lemme give u an advice, if u wanna claim Niger Deltan try to be subtle in your overly praise of the ibos and outright condemnation of your perceived people. It so obvious that you're ibo and your desperation to convince otherwise is really irritating.

IT i.e. Ikwere's escaped mental patient is not a Niger Deltan, that much is obvious. I doubt if it's even Igbo either. IT is the product of the mating between a syphilitic donkey & a disease ridden sewer rat.
Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by MostIncredibleDFirst: 2:13am On Dec 02, 2012
solomonkane:

Until we begin to change our ethnic identities for a national one, see things from mutually beneficial angles, nothing will change
when a majority of us are keepin vigil to see when dis contraption called Nigeria wil fall as a pack of cards, dat we may hav a sigh of relief n then focus on developin our own tents, u are here talkin bull.sht!
Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by Lasinoh: 6:34am On Dec 02, 2012
More tok-tok!
No action. . . sheeeeeeeesh! grin
Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by solomonkane(m): 8:42am On Dec 02, 2012
MostIncredible.DFirst:
when a majority of us are keepin vigil to see when dis contraption called Nigeria wil fall as a pack of cards, dat we may hav a sigh of relief n then focus on developin our own tents, u are here talkin bull.sht!

I laugh in Urhobo, which "mumu" majority are you talking about? When I see your membership card showing your affiliation with a secessionist group; I will believe. When I see you organizing protests demanding for secession, then I will pay attention to your rantings. When you form a political party which would seek for regional autonomy or confederacy status which would be a forerunner for eventual secession, then I will take you serious. For now, all I hear is bla bla bla from a collection of ignorant little children whose brain cells (the little they had anyway) have been addled by too much exposure to emissions from laptops and phones.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by NegroNtns(m): 8:59am On Dec 02, 2012
Gej has zero understanding of what this idea will produce. Bad vision!

To the yanmiris that are yet to read my argument against the nationalizationof almajiri order, I encourage you to see your Eze Onlytruth for a briefing. If Gej were to imolememt this stooopid idea every ethnic grouo will get burnt but ibo in particular will yet again, and as always, be at the short end of the stick.
Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by MostIncredibleDFirst: 3:20pm On Dec 02, 2012
solomonkane:
When I see your membership card showing your affiliation with a secessionist group; I will believe. When I see you organizing protests demanding for secession. When you form a political party which would seek for regional autonomy, I will take you serious.
If it is only the above dat wud serve as indicators 2u 2believe dat d strategic secession of d contraption called Nigeria wil becom real, then u're very naive. SORRY!
Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by dayokanu(m): 4:43pm On Dec 02, 2012
If this idea is implemented then we cant say Ibos have not produced president or South South have not produced president

Cos Babangida would be from Rivers State and Obasanjo from Imo state
Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by solomonkane(m): 9:26pm On Dec 02, 2012
MostIncredible.DFirst:
If it is only the above dat wud serve as indicators 2u 2believe dat d strategic secession of d contraption called Nigeria wil becom real, then u're very naive. SORRY!

I will rather naive than be an e-braggat like you. Show evidence of your "strategic secession" moves and then I will take you serious. For now all I hear are delusional rantings and internet farts.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by MostIncredibleDFirst: 10:20pm On Dec 02, 2012
solomonkane:

I will rather naive than be an e-braggat like you. Show evidence of your "strategic secession" moves and then I will take you serious. For now all I hear are delusional rantings and internet farts.
I'm glad dat u've recognise n accepted ur naivity. But however, itz only a very foolish man dat wud expect national security matters 2b discussed in d public domain, not 2talk of matters bothering on strategic secession. Now, 4recognising ur state of being, i'll simply not waste time joining issues wit u anymore.
Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by solomonkane(m): 2:20pm On Dec 03, 2012
MostIncredible.DFirst:
I'm glad dat u've recognise n accepted ur naivity. But however, itz only a very foolish man dat wud expect national security matters 2b discussed in d public domain, not 2talk of matters bothering on strategic secession. Now, 4recognising ur state of being, i'll simply not waste time joining issues wit u anymore.

All I still hear is bla bla bla.

N.B: Your sentence formation is beyond horrible, work on it and stop your delusions of grandeur.
Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by gsainttrinity(m): 5:08pm On Aug 16, 2013
seanet01: Dream Dead on Arrival. No way.

This shows how deeply rooted Nigerians are in tribalism.... try to dump the cloak of myopia. this would be the best singular piece of law in our constitution.
Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by OsunOriginal: 5:43pm On Aug 16, 2013
After we have chased anything Igbo out of SW.
Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by Sloan: 7:03pm On Aug 16, 2013
The mugu president has no clue what he is talking about! Let him first divide all the land in his Otuekwe village to the Hausa and Yorubas an the horders of ibos waiting to pounce on it, do the experiment for 50 years, then he can come back and tell us how he wants to achieve this pipe dream! Nigeria gains nothing essentially by implementing an ignorant policy like this one, not that it will ever work! How does this solve the problem of power, corruption, lack of development and industrialization, the economic problems of a lot of people? Well, solve all those problems and no one will care about this useless kind of policy. When the North, West, East and everything and everyone in between is doing well, no one would care about this kind of problem. When every part of Nigeria knows it is their jobs and responsibility to develop their side of the country, they will be too busy to care about trying to gain or become natives of another part of the country.
Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by otokx(m): 7:09pm On Aug 16, 2013
Has the constitution been changed?
Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by bymigokeph: 7:12pm On Aug 16, 2013
Mowire: I very much doubt that Mr. President was ever aware of the content of this speech.
Is Mr. President's native community not one those ND islands? How did the Fulanis get their cows there? I was in Wilberforce island, where Amasoma & Ogobiri are located in 2001, I did not see any Fulani with cow there.
All these ministers&aides may just be misrepresenting GEJ, knowing his faults.

u just dey talk out of hate or wat. his home town is motorable 4rm aso. so look 4 sometin beta to say next tym
Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by deeptesting(m): 7:21pm On Aug 16, 2013
This is what governance is all about,a government that not only listens to the people but is also ready to implement the submissions of the people. I am honored that the President gave adequate attention to my letter to him, where i categorically stated that i have personally relinquished the ideology of state of origin and henceforth, will not indicate it on any of my official document considering the danger it portends for the unity of Nigeria. May i use this opportunity to thank those NL members who seconded my decision by clicking the like button the very day i made this declaration after the illegal dumping of Nigerians at Onitsha from Lagos against their will.

Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by Sloan: 7:54pm On Aug 16, 2013
deeptesting: This is what governance is all about,a government that not only listens to the people but is also ready to implement the submissions of the people. I am honored that the President gave adequate attention to my letter to him, where i categorically stated that i have personally relinquished the ideology of state of origin and henceforth, will not indicate it on any of my official document considering the danger it portends for the unity of Nigeria. May i use this opportunity to thank those NL members who seconded my decision by clicking the like button the very day i made this declaration after the illegal dumping of Nigerians at Onitsha from Lagos against their will.

Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Yes indeed, the Federal Republic can live as long as possible but there's no one in Abuja or any part of the world that will tell different parts of Nigeria who should have a native claim to their ancestral lands. It is not as though any one in Nigeria does not have a place of origin but it is not their problem if you do not invest and grow your land but want to attach to land that has been developed for 100's of years by the native people. In my part of Nigeria, people are identified down to the exact location of their father's house! (Compound). But why is it that a Yoruba ancestrally from Lagos would not care if a man from Ife gets all the benefits of his land (ownership, etc), because he knows they are brothers, the same family! He knows that if there was trouble in Ore from an invading army both of them from the man from Oyo will be part of the army to bring down the invaders at Ore! The same the man from Ife cares less if the originally from Lagos (fellow Yoruba) buys and builds a structure in Ife, he is all welcome, he is his brother, everything, every development still helps the next one, all for the big Yoruba family! This is not extendable to anyone outside the Yoruba land or race regardless of whether an half Ph.d talker is in Abuja. This arrangement causes no loss to anyone in Nigeria because we are all from somewhere or our ancestors are from somewhere, why is that soooo hard?

Now, how are the "immediate" benefits of being a native of a different part of the Yoruba heritage accruable to another Yoruba in a different state? Good question. Bursaries are administered and administrable regardless of the state you are in so a native of Ife cannot and will not lose any bursary opportunity if his state is up and doing and provides such benefits to its indigenes regardless of where they are. The economic integration of the Yoruba SW is an attempt at even a much broader solution to issues because ultimately, the regional integration will guarantee a similar quality of life in all parts of the Yoruba commonwealth. The Yorubas and leadership of Lagos, Oyo and Ogun for example will not like to know that while they are doing very well, their kins are doing worse in other states and that is why there will be a transportation link so people can move about and mix, healthcare standards will be the same in all parts of the region, same for education, sports, etc all with the end product of a higher quality of life for everybody. If your governors are not thinking of tomorrow now and you are not from the Yoruba SW, it is time you begin to tell them and vote in better leaders. The regional integration plan of the Yoruba covers the SW as well as the Yoruba populations of Kogi and Kwara and our cousin in Edo State as well as those who may wish to eventually buy into it.

A non-Yoruba wants to visit, work in the government office or start a company for whatever reasons he chooses, he is welcome but he will NEVER own the land because two people cannot own it! You cannot leave your own property and go hundreds of KMs to start claiming property which you cannot defend for what will it be to you if you are never able to see your ancestral land or this one you are long-Drinking over again? This is common sense. Nigeria loses nothing in fact gains a whole lot if we all create mini-Lagos all over the place and then we can integrate our solution to a more developed Nigeria!

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by deeptesting(m): 8:25pm On Aug 16, 2013
Sloan:

Yes indeed, the Federal Republic can live as long as possible but there's no one in Abuja or any part of the world that will tell different parts of Nigeria who should have a native claim to their ancestral lands. It is not as though any one in Nigeria does not have a place of origin but it is not their problem if you do not invest and grow your land but want to attach to land that has been developed for 100's of years by the native people. In my part of Nigeria, people are identified down to the exact location of their father's house! (Compound). But why is it that a Yoruba ancestrally from Lagos would not care if a man from Ife gets all the benefits of his land (ownership, etc), because he knows they are brothers, the same family! He knows that if there was trouble in Ore from an invading army both of them from the man from Oyo will be part of the army to bring down the invaders at Ore! The same the man from Ife cares less if the originally from Lagos (fellow Yoruba) buys and builds a structure in Ife, he is all welcome, he is his brother, everything, every development still helps the next one, all for the big Yoruba family! This is not extendable to anyone outside the Yoruba land or race regardless of whether an half Ph.d talker is in Abuja. This arrangement causes no loss to anyone in Nigeria because we are all from somewhere or our ancestors are from somewhere, why is that soooo hard?

Now, how are the "immediate" benefits of being a native of a different part of the Yoruba heritage accruable to another Yoruba in a different state? Good question. Bursaries are administered and administrable regardless of the state you are in so a native of Ife cannot and will not lose any bursary opportunity if his state is up and doing and provides such benefits to its indigenes regardless of where they are. The economic integration of the Yoruba SW is an attempt at even a much broader solution to issues because ultimately, the regional integration will guarantee a similar quality of life in all parts of the Yoruba commonwealth. The Yorubas and leadership of Lagos, Oyo and Ogun for example will not like to know that while they are doing very well, their kins are doing worse in other states and that is why there will be a transportation link so people can move about and mix, healthcare standards will be the same in all parts of the region, same for education, sports, etc all with the end product of a higher quality of life for everybody. If your governors are not thinking of tomorrow now and you are not from the Yoruba SW, it is time you begin to tell them and vote in better leaders. The regional integration plan of the Yoruba covers the SW as well as the Yoruba populations of Kogi and Kwara and our cousin in Edo State as well as those who may wish to eventually buy into it.

A non-Yoruba wants to visit, work in the government office or start a company for whatever reasons he chooses, he is welcome but he will NEVER own the land because two people cannot own it! You cannot leave your own property and go hundreds of KMs to start claiming property which you cannot defend for what will it be to you if you are never able to see your ancestral land or this one you are long-Drinking over again? This is common sense. Nigeria loses nothing in fact gains a whole lot if we all create mini-Lagos all over the place and then we can integrate our solution to a more developed Nigeria!

Your submission is a total drift from my point and that of the president..The president also admitted the fears of communities that, they might be swamped by others but he explained that every effort will be made to ensure that their culture is preserved. This policy is geared towards national integration, to ensure all citizens enjoy the rights of citizenship and no one is laying claim to your land..There are Yorubas in my hometown and a few of them own properties.
Re: Jonathan; Citizenship Must Replace State Of Origin by gsainttrinity(m): 5:10pm On Sep 06, 2013
[quote author=kingoflag]

No, you couldnt get into the University because of the way you write. [/quote

grin[quote author=kingoflag]

No, you couldnt get into the University because of the way you write. [/quote

lwkm

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria To Pass U.S. As World’s 3rd Most Populous Country By 2050, UN Says / No Plan To Remove Subsidy Now - Federal Government Insists / Goodluck Jonathan: Politicians Should Not See Elections As Coup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.