Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:10 AM

Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants (8711 Views)

Presidency Orders Sack Of Civil Servants With 30 Years In Service And Above / List Of Bayelsa State Political Appointees / Dr. Olusegun Mimiko's 563 Political Appointees In Ondo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by Fatdon(m): 8:24am On Dec 01, 2012
The governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Sanusi Lamido Sanusi has lashed out on those calling for his sack over his purported statement that the federal government should reduce the work force in the country.

Speaking to Channels Television’s correspondent, Chukwuma Onuekwusi, in London at the end of the 13th session of the Honorary International Investors council meeting, Mr Sanusi said that those calling for his sack “are shying away from the reality of the time”.

He said he was not talking about the sack of civil servants but a reduction in the size of political appointees who take 70 percent of government revenue leaving a mere 30 percent for the 160 million Nigerians.

According to him “what Nigeria is practising is an American system of government that is very expensive”.

He said that he cannot join issues with anyone calling for his sack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUazPIQAJoE

www.channelstv.com/home/2012/11/30/sanusi-lashes-back-at-those-calling-for-his-sack/
Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by k2039: 8:32am On Dec 01, 2012
Oh,his salary also should be reduced and his own aides,not to talk of estacodes,infact they should reduce the way they all travel including him.

Governor,let's start from CBN.

I quite agree with him,the other day I saw about 160 political appointees to the governor and deputy governor of bayelsa,it was embarrasing

1 Like

Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by Fatdon(m): 8:37am On Dec 01, 2012
I think the man has a solid point. The
country's style of democratic
governance is obviously too expensive
for us. You can imagine a situation
where mr President appoints over 40
ministers and same number of people as ministers of state for such numbers
of ministries, and each of them will in
turn, be entitled to employ a large
number of retiny of special assistants
and advicers and they'll be on huge
salaries and allowances and most of the time, these people have nothing
tangible to show for all the monies
paid to them. It is this class of people
that should have their numbers
reduced, not the ordinary civil servant,
whose N18,000 minimum wage, can barely be enough for him.

6 Likes

Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by GARRIx7(m): 8:40am On Dec 01, 2012
He said he was not talking about the sack of civil servants but a reduction in the size of political appointees who take 70 percent of government revenue leaving a mere 30 percent for the 160 million Nigerians.
I think if this is what he meant, then it makes a whole lot of sense....
Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by Nobody: 8:47am On Dec 01, 2012
Our political appiontess are too much d worst prt the dnt aDd value to nigeria
Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by Nobody: 9:03am On Dec 01, 2012
Oh! I thought he was refering to civil servants. That aside, he's got a point there.
Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by Nobody: 9:04am On Dec 01, 2012
Oh! I thought he was refering to civil servants. That aside, he's got a point there..
Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by dridowu: 9:19am On Dec 01, 2012
If truly Sanusi mean political appointee dn am 100% with him but If he mean civil serveant dn thunder go fire am
Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by bakusha(m): 9:22am On Dec 01, 2012
Nw coming out 2deny it, y dnt he say political apointing 4rm †ђξ bginn. Na wao who we go cm D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ blif nw? †ђξ man d̶̲̥̅̊aτ̲̅ said or dia rep (speaker)

1 Like

Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by Slyuba4me(m): 9:30am On Dec 01, 2012
on point
Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by Basic(m): 9:33am On Dec 01, 2012
This man has always - or in most cases - made sense. But people's hatred for Muslims and Hausas have prevailed over their senses of thinking.
Remember, this same man told the senators and reps to their faces that they alone are sharing 3/4 of the country's total income (and he backed up his words with evidence, never recanting them)

12 Likes

Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by yuzedo: 9:40am On Dec 01, 2012
Whether he meant Civil Servants or/and Political Appointees, he is right!

REDUCE THE NUMBERS!

Sack 50% of Civil Servants.
Sack 70% of Political Appointees.

Instead of retaining redundant Civil Servants, let the government start a welfare system. That'd be better and more honest than paying people for doing diddly-squat and stealing while doing diddly-squat....

16 Likes

Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by akintun: 9:41am On Dec 01, 2012
I'm not a fan of d CBN gov, but d guy make sense die.
Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by Nobody: 9:45am On Dec 01, 2012
Very sound man. Just deal with them for me and then hand over to Soludo. Aboki very loyal Mallam smiley
Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by suntai8: 9:46am On Dec 01, 2012
@fatdon, you are on point and I pray and hope that other nigerians will be objective like you without sentiments in dealing with national issues. I believe its the only way that nigeria will move forward. Its time we start occupying the media for misinforming us simply because the cbn governor didn't greaze their palms. I wonder if they ever went to school. The governor is right this time, even a horse is made a PA in some states. Nigerians please let's wake up from the grip of our so called leaders.
Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by ypzilanti: 9:47am On Dec 01, 2012
Please just govern central bank and talk less. I lost respect when he did turbaning ceremony same week many staff lost life in tragic air crash. Who does that? Says a lot about the character of the man.
Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by baslone: 9:57am On Dec 01, 2012
So he should put an end to his private lifecause people died in a plane crash shocked

1 Like

Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by bestower: 10:03am On Dec 01, 2012
Sanusi nigeria Nigeria sanusi,am waiting for ur comments....political appointees.
Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by ochallo: 10:05am On Dec 01, 2012
yuzedo: Whether he meant Civil Servants or/and Political Appointees, he is right!

REDUCE THE NUMBERS!

Sack 50% of Civil Servants.
Sack 70% of Political Appointees.

Instead of retaining redundant Civil Servants, let the government start a welfare system. That'd be better and more honest than paying people for doing diddly-squat and stealing while doing diddly-squat....

it is amazing how people think like this, what is the difference between welfare and people doing nothing, which do you think would be more liability to the Government. the major problem of Nigeria is corruption and if the economy was good there would be more companies for people to work in . THINK! If all the civil servants are sacked and there is still corruption , NOthing would change except the life of the sacked civil servants.

1 Like

Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by Nobody: 10:06am On Dec 01, 2012
So so on point malam, i tink 30 ministers can serve us
Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by ochallo: 10:08am On Dec 01, 2012
baslone: So he should put an end to his private lifecause people died in a plane crash shocked

if you have ever been to a civilised environment, that is what is done. people cancel their concerts ( where they would even make money) in respect of some many global issues, that is what it means to be human and socially conscious not an animalistic trait which you right here is giving a baseless support.

2 Likes

Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by lacasa: 10:10am On Dec 01, 2012
Basic: This man has always - or in most cases - made sense. But people's hatred for Muslims and Hausas have prevailed over their senses of thinking.
Remember, this same man told the senators and reps to their faces that they alone are sharing 3/4 of the country's total income (and he backed up his words with evidence, never recanting them)

Dnt mind those set of Haters angry

They get hard-ons 1ce they hear/see a Hausa/Muslim angry

Wen the Southerners & Christian we have as President is worse than any one mentioned. Slowpokes!!.

3 Likes

Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by ochallo: 10:11am On Dec 01, 2012
sanusi is a coward, he meant civil servants too, he did the same with the banks and the banks still didn't improve but where eventually sold and still on a dead end road till now. This man has no human feelings, he is a cattle rearer and an extremist. This is the same person that wanted to print N5000 notes , what a confused 2 timing idiiot.
Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by lafile(m): 10:12am On Dec 01, 2012
Our govt is bloated and very top heavy. Nigeria has less than half the population of the US, has 36 states compared to Americas 50, yet we have more Senators.
Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by sleekshedy(m): 10:12am On Dec 01, 2012
Why won't they be paid so much, when you allocate so much money to them than they ever need. Check their security votes, monthly allocations and 13% for oil producing states. I wonder what he expect when all he does is issue checks and not bother about what the money is used for? He knows he can't touch the governors, so he target their aides. So my questions is, if you sack the aides, will it reduce the money you allocate to these ineffective government officials?
Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by yyb14: 10:16am On Dec 01, 2012
i'm with cbn gov on this
Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by naptu2: 10:19am On Dec 01, 2012
I agree with Sanusi, but I disagree with his methods (I wrote two papers on this in 2002 and 2005).

The origin of the problem:

Military governments of the '60s and '70s were primarily concerned with holding on to power. In order to retain power, they had to keep the population happy. What the government did was to massively employ people into the civil service, buy over private companies (because the dictators wanted to be all powerful) and set up unnecessary parastatals. Workers were given car loans and official quarters in Ikoyi. This was the bribe that the government used to silence the citizens. All this was funded by Niger Delta oil revenues, which the government didn't have to work for.

Solution:
The Federal Government should focus on its core responsibilities of education, health care and security and stop interfering in business. 90% of what the federal government is doing should be done by state governments, local governments and private companies. Government wasted huge sums of money on Nitel, yet we had about 100,000 lines and very poor quality service. The private sector was allowed to take over the industry and now government is making billions of naira from the sector, we have millions of lines and the quality is better (at least I don't have to wait for an hour before I get "dialing tone" ). This means that government would not need to sack workers, but would rather hand them over to the private sector, where they'll have to prove their worth.

Other workers need to be redeployed. Why should the sports minister have a police orderly and SSS aides. These should be redeployed to the job of protecting citizens (we don't have enough policemen doing that).

4 Likes

Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by malc619(m): 10:22am On Dec 01, 2012
Why is people saying them should sack this man when him speak the truth

1 Like

Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by yuzedo: 10:22am On Dec 01, 2012
ochallo:

it is amazing how people think like this, what is the difference between welfare and people doing nothing, which do you think would be more liability to the Government. the major problem of Nigeria is corruption and if the economy was good there would be more companies for people to work in . THINK! If all the civil servants are sacked and there is still corruption , NOthing would change except the life of the sacked civil servants.
undecided undecided Do you feel good now that you've talked? Did you read my last paragraph? So you should leave people in positions that'll allow them steal money abi? Or they should spend on transport for 30days (for those who come to work everyday) instead of just paying them to stay away and not be a nuisance?

I don't even want argue on the premise of welfare. Truth is, govt is overbloated. If the said govt is serious, they'll sack redundant civil servants, reduce their overhead, use the saved funds to start up capital projects/industries,engage the laid-off workers in these blue-collar jobs, produce goods wanted locally and internationally, build-up on foreign reserves, expand the scope of production to accommodate increased demand, hire more hands.. See where I am going with this? Need I continue?

We cannot continue as a solely consuming nation. We must produce and export. White collar isn't the way forward for us.. We must become blue-collar nation!
Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by surveycash(m): 10:23am On Dec 01, 2012
Basic: This man has always - or in most cases - made sense. But people's hatred for Muslims and Hausas have prevailed over their senses of thinking.

You said it all..God bless you
Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by Cmeo(m): 10:26am On Dec 01, 2012
i am begining to wonder if o.......a understand the english at all. Welfare pay wether costlier or not is Honest pay than pay for doing nothing in the name of job payment which include benefits
Re: Sanusi: Reduction Of Political Appointees, Not For Sack Of Civil Servants by sleekshedy(m): 10:31am On Dec 01, 2012
That's the only thing he knows how to do "flip flop and double down".
Common Mr Sanusi, you people have to realize that we can't continue to spend more than we generate.
How about advocating for the reduction of government officials salary by 70%?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Shehu Sani Will Be Defeated - El-rufai Insists / Barcanista: Jonathan Behaved Foolish For Appointing Dasuki / Igbos Has The Highest Population Numbers In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.