Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,071 members, 7,818,201 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? (6084 Views)

Can the Arab defeat the Jews In A War / Arab Woman Pilot Disowned By Her Family' For Bombing ISIS / Why Are The Arab Countries Mute On Gaza-israel War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Dec 01, 2012
The 'Arab Spring' or Arab revolution, which resulted in regime change in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya,etc have come and gone. Besides change in regime and the fact that those countries can now chose their leaders in an election, what else has changed? I ask this question because of those who think that revolution is the solution to Nigeria's problem. The Egyptians who recently had a revolution and change in govt are BACK ON THE STREETS protesting against the leader they elected only a few mouths ago. A VIOLENT PROTEST broke out in some parts of Tunisia this week over alarming rate of unemployment. Libya is still very unstable. The saying that 'all that glitters is not gold' appears to be holding forth again. What do you guys think?

4 Likes

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by IlekeIdI2: 2:00pm On Dec 01, 2012
It never really, was what they wanted. Its just the west that instigated the whole thing. Just imagine libya that had everything, just because it was the same person giving it they say the're tired!! God go punish US, He has started already, with sandy.

19 Likes

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Dec 01, 2012
Are you sure? US is still the world's super power
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by kunlekunle: 2:20pm On Dec 01, 2012
Now they have democracy, but its a fairy one.
They will not understand it until it destroys them.

1 Like

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Dec 01, 2012
kunlekunle: Now they have democracy, but its a fairy one.
They will not understand it until it destroys them.
The same democracy that we 'enjoy' in Nigeria? The only difference is that their own democracy is 'nascent'

1 Like

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Abagworo(m): 3:43pm On Dec 01, 2012
Ileke-IdI.:
It never really, was what they wanted. Its just the west that instigated the whole thing. Just imagine libya that had everything, just because it was the same person giving it they say the're tired!! God go punish US, He has started already, with sandy.

I still don't know why Africans sat down and watched the US and EU destroy Africa's most successful Nation. Ghadafi identified more with blacks than Arabs and was fighting Islamic extremism.

7 Likes

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Dec 01, 2012
Abagworo:

I still don't know why Africans sat down and watched the US and EU destroy Africa's most successful Nation. Ghadafi identified more with blacks than Arabs and was fighting Islamic extremism.
I dont think it was about what Africans wanted. I think it was about what Libyans wanted. Libyans wanted a revolution. US and Europe only facilitated what Libyans wanted. In the same vein, some Nigerians are currently hungry and thirsty for revolution. They said only a revolution will solve all of our problems. Perhaps after the revolution, the fulani man will now see the Igbo man as his brother and vice versa. They said we nearly had a revolution during the Jan subsidy protest. Anyway, children will always be children and think like children.

1 Like

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by IlekeIdI2: 4:43pm On Dec 01, 2012
Sincere 9gerian:
I dont think it was about what Africans wanted. I think it was about what Libyans wanted. Libyans wanted a revolution. US and Europe only facilitated what Libyans wanted. In the same vein, some Nigerians are currently hungry and thirsty for revolution. They said only a revolution will solve all of our problems. Perhaps after the revolution, the fulani man will now see the Igbo man as his brother and vice versa. They said we nearly had a revolution during the Jan subsidy protest. Anyway, children will always be children and think like children.
The arabs did not think they want it, the US made them think they want it.
There is a big difference my brother

2 Likes

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Abagworo(m): 5:04pm On Dec 01, 2012
Sincere 9gerian:

Libyans never really wanted a revolution. Benghazi housed terrorists that Ghadafi government was fighting and the West used the terrorists to protest. Its as good as the West using Boko Haram and protests in Maiduguri to topple Jonathan's Government. How silly does that sound?

5 Likes

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Dec 01, 2012
Revolution revolution revolution. Throughout history revolutions have always ended up throwing up the same discredited, unscrupulous elements back into positions of power while unnecessarily claiming the lives of innocents.

1 Like

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by FrankC3: 7:40pm On Dec 01, 2012
Great thinkers and political philosophers really believed in revolution. Check out the writings of John Locke, the philosophy of US founding fathers, Zhou dynasty of China and the ancient Greeks. What people who don't really understand democracy don't understand is that in democracy, revolution is built into the system after years on reforms and civilization of the raw concept. That revolution is election and that is why electoral fraud is the single most putrid abuse of democracy because it stifles the ability of the majority to determine how they are governed. The ancient revolution model burns down cities in an attempt to bring down governments that acts against their 'common interest' mainly because the governments then did not have life spans, the leader leads till death and most likely hands over to his child (heir) like what happened in North Korea recently. Any body who give this idea of revolution a 10 minutes thought will understand that it is really childish and borne more out of exuberance to call for a revolution against a government with 4 to 10 years life span which is so minute in the life of a country.

Revolution is actually having terminal elections for leaders like Fashola and Ikedi Ohakim for the people to decide whether the leader is still serving their 'common interest' It means the moral and political need for all to go out and vote in line with policies and programs of a leader. It also means wisdom to safeguard the present civilization, no matter how little while expressing out desire for change of government- via polling booths. This is actually one of the reason I believe that GEJ is far more intelligent that the collection of the folks that call him clueless because he is strongly committed to defending our rights to revolts, but this time via the polling booths and our voting cards.

No matter how attractive the word 'revolution' as is being presently called for may sound to young(not age wise but depth) minds, it is the single strongest forces of retrogression. Under the spell of 'revolution', we may not just have a country anymore. Under 'revolution fever' we can give extremists and unstable and brainwashed minds free reign over our affairs because thinkers and intelligent people can never support revolution where there is free and fair election.

The 'revolution' I support today is the one that will allow me to cast my vote for or against my leaders and seeing my vote being counted in the evening of the election day. Even if my choice of candidate did not prevail, I have had my say and the majority have decided what 'we' should do, after all, I can not be wiser than tens of millions of people. That revolution empowered Imo people to vote out Ikedi Ohakim and Ondo people to vote in Mimiko without destroying their market places, loss of life and burning down their cities. In 2015, I will participate in another revolution, to determine who will replace my State Governor and who will be my President for the next four years.

20 Likes

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by taharqa: 9:24pm On Dec 01, 2012
Frank-C:
Great thinkers and political philosophers really believed in revolution. Check out the writings of John Locke, the philosophy of US founding fathers, Zhou dynasty of China and the ancient Greeks. What people who don't really understand democracy don't understand is that in democracy, revolution is built into the system after years on reforms and civilization of the raw concept. That revolution is election and that is why electoral fraud is the single most putrid abuse of democracy because it stifles the ability of the majority to determine how they are governed. The ancient revolution model burns down cities in an attempt to bring down governments that acts against their 'common interest' mainly because the governments then did not have life spans, the leader leads till death and most likely hands over to his child (heir) like what happened in North Korea recently. Any body who give this idea of revolution a 10 minutes thought will understand that it is really childish and borne more out of exuberance to call for a revolution against a government with 4 to 10 years life span which is so minute in the life of a country.

Revolution is actually having terminal elections for leaders like Fashola and Ikedi Ohakim for the people to decide whether the leader is still serving their 'common interest' It means the moral and political need for all to go out and vote in line with policies and programs of a leader. It also means wisdom to safeguard the present civilization, no matter how little while expressing out desire for change of government- via polling booths. This is actually one of the reason I believe that GEJ is far more intelligent that the collection of the folks that call him clueless because he is strongly committed to defending our rights to revolts, but this time via the polling booths and our voting cards.

No matter how attractive the word 'revolution' as is being presently called for may sound to young(not age wise but depth) minds, it is the single strongest forces of retrogression. Under the spell of 'revolution', we may not just have a country anymore. Under 'revolution fever' we can give extremists and unstable and brainwashed minds free reign over our affairs because thinkers and intelligent people can never support revolution where there is free and fair election.

The 'revolution' I support today is the one that will allow me to cast my vote for or against my leaders and seeing my vote being counted in the evening of the election day. Even if my choice of candidate did not prevail, I have had my say and the majority have decided what 'we' should do, after all, I can not be wiser than tens of millions of people. That revolution empowered Imo people to vote out Ikedi Ohakim and Ondo people to vote in Mimiko without destroying their market places, loss of life and burning down their cities. In 2015, I will participate in another revolution, to determine who will replace my State Governor and who will be my President for the next four years.

Cant recall the last time i read this sort of brilliant commentary of Depth on NL...

4 Likes

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Dec 01, 2012
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Dec 01, 2012
Let no one deceive you that revolution is bad or has always been bad. What brought Qaddafi to rule was revolution. And he changed the lives of his people. Americans and NATO supplying arms to people identified as "rebels" and coming on TV to openly say it is just something that strikes shows the moral decay among power wielding nations..

Libya basically is better than the US and any European nation in Human building because you get support in everything you do. Tho small by population, he made sure they get what they wish for within the limits of their territory.

Now where is Libya now? Egypt that started it all, where are they now?

The entire NATO nations will BURN IJN! You drove a nation from strong and able government to civil war and you expect peace in your own nation? One day, not far, NATO nations will become land of scums. Already happening. Britain will lose her place in UN once Scotland breaks away! Spain is already splitting. All EU nations are going broke! O Bleep these Europeans and Americans!!

You are not powerful enough to avoid the justice coming beleee dat!!! angry angry angry

6 Likes

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Dec 01, 2012
0lumide: Let no one deceive you that revolution is bad or has always been bad. What brought Qaddafi to rule was revolution. And he changed the lives of his people. Americans and NATO supplying arms to people identified as "rebels" and coming on TV to openly say it is just something that strikes shows the moral decay among power wielding nations..

Libya basically is better than the US and any European nation in Human building because you get support in everything you do. Tho small by population, he made sure they get what they wish for within the limits of their territory.

Now where is Libya now? Egypt that started it all, where are they now?

The entire NATO nations will BURN IJN! You drove a nation from strong and able government to civil war and you expect peace in your own nation? One day, not far, NATO nations will become land of scums. Already happening. Britain will lose her place in UN once Scotland breaks away! Spain is already splitting. All EU nations are going broke! O Bleep these Europeans and Americans!!

You are not powerful enough to avoid the justice coming beleee dat!!! angry angry angry
The point being made is that revolution is unpredictable and does not always lead to better life for the people. It is even more silly when some shallow minded individuals contemplate revolution in a country under democratic governance like us. How did the Nzeogwu revolution of 1966 end?
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Dec 01, 2012
@Frank C..,fantastic comment. Well done!

1 Like

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Dec 01, 2012
Sincere 9gerian:
The point being made is that revolution is unpredictable and does not always lead to better life for the people. It is even more silly when some shallow minded individuals contemplate revolution in a country under democratic governance like us. How did the Nzeogwu revolution of 1966 end?

I think you have little idea of what revolution really is.. Revolution is just a shift either peacefully or violently! How people choose the terms of their revolution is different and independent of the idea of revolution!

And yes! Nigeria need a revolution! The 1966 coup isn't a revolution. It is what it is. A coup. A successful revolution can only be carried by the people themselves not some or a group of people claiming to represent the people. Hence why America has always used the idea of the "suffering" of people in target nations to provoke revolution which ends up being controlled by their puppets...

When the people themselves, revolt, that is the end of any oppression they currently face. A new way of oppressing has to be planned by those who intend whether consciously or sub-consciously to oppress the people.

2 Likes

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by seanet01: 4:31am On Dec 02, 2012
Ileke-IdI.:
Lagbaja Epe Epe
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Nobody: 7:21am On Dec 02, 2012
0lumide:

I think you have little idea of what revolution really is.. Revolution is just a shift either peacefully or violently! How people choose the terms of their revolution is different and independent of the idea of revolution!

And yes! Nigeria need a revolution! The 1966 coup isn't a revolution. It is what it is. A coup. A successful revolution can only be carried by the people themselves not some or a group of people claiming to represent the people. Hence why America has always used the idea of the "suffering" of people in target nations to provoke revolution which ends up being controlled by their puppets...

When the people themselves, revolt, that is the end of any oppression they currently face. A new way of oppressing has to be planned by those who intend whether consciously or sub-consciously to oppress the people.
You claim the 1966 coup wasn't a revolution? That's your opinion. But the planners of that coup intended a revolution, the type some mis-guided Nigerians crave for today. That was why they were brutal with all those who stood in the way of their intended revolution and clean-up. Unfortunately, some of those who were expected to execute some aspect of the coup, were not as brutal as the original plan intended. Some of the solders developed cold feet at the last minute, making the revolution to go awry. The Nzeogwu coup, intended the sort of bloody revolution some misguided Nigerians crave for today- to kill all the corrupt politicians and give the nation a new start. But in retrospection, that coup was unnecessary, misguided, brutal and eventually lead to a civil war that almost consumed this nation. Those who crave for bloody revolution or even another military coup should beware
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Nobody: 8:24am On Dec 02, 2012
Sincere 9gerian:
You claim the 1966 coup wasn't a revolution? That's your opinion. But the planners of that coup intended a revolution, the type some mis-guided Nigerians crave for today. That was why they were brutal with all those who stood in the way of their intended revolution and clean-up. Unfortunately, some of those who were expected to execute some aspect of the coup, were not as brutal as the original plan intended. Some of the solders developed cold feet at the last minute, making the revolution to go awry. The Nzeogwu coup, intended the sort of bloody revolution some misguided Nigerians crave for today- to kill all the corrupt politicians and give the nation a new start. But in retrospection, that coup was unnecessary, misguided, brutal and eventually lead to a civil war that almost consumed this nation. Those who crave for bloody revolution or even another military coup should beware

Leave your sentiments aside! That wasn't a revolution! That was a military coup. Revolution can have a leader, but it must also have the consensus of a majority of the people and by majority, I mean a huge majority not 60/40 or 70/30. A revolution needs a ripe majority consensus like 80/20 and above. 1966 coup has like 20% of agreement. Northerners weren't ready to have their leaders killed same as Westerners and Middle belt! Akintola may have betrayed Awolowo and Yorubas but Yorubas weren't ready to have him dead according to numerous journals on the topic. As you can see, the coup made the killed, heroes in Nigerian history.

In Nigeria now, Aanyone able to eliminate these corrupt politicians will be a hero because the consensu is on the high of 90% for revolution. If Jonathan is murdered, Atiku and other Northern corrupts murdered and western and eastern corrupts murdered, there will be nothing like civil war, these are dirty politicians not military men. was Ghana plunged into civil war when the corrupts were eliminated? No because it was balanced.

About the 1966 coup, don't call it a revolution because it was intended by a few people not a majority. What Gideon Okar attempted was a true revolution with honest intentions tho not successful. 1966 coup was just a shameful act of power grab that should be thrown in the dustbin of History. Please let's not Debate that coup because it will bring topics like Biafra, Yoruba, Hausa etc... The coup was a shameful one simple!

8 Likes

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by odogwux(m): 9:52am On Dec 02, 2012
Thank you for this brilliant piece

Frank-C:

1 Like

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 02, 2012
0lumide:

Leave your sentiments aside! That wasn't a revolution! That was a military coup. Revolution can have a leader, but it must also have the consensus of a majority of the people and by majority, I mean a huge majority not 60/40 or 70/30. A revolution needs a ripe majority consensus like 80/20 and above. 1966 coup has like 20% of agreement. Northerners weren't ready to have their leaders killed same as Westerners and Middle belt! Akintola may have betrayed Awolowo and Yorubas but Yorubas weren't ready to have him dead according to numerous journals on the topic. As you can see, the coup made the killed, heroes in Nigerian history.

In Nigeria now, Aanyone able to eliminate these corrupt politicians will be a hero because the consensu is on the high of 90% for revolution. If Jonathan is murdered, Atiku and other Northern corrupts murdered and western and eastern corrupts murdered, there will be nothing like civil war, these are dirty politicians not military men. was Ghana plunged into civil war when the corrupts were eliminated? No because it was balanced.

About the 1966 coup, don't call it a revolution because it was intended by a few people not a majority. What Gideon Okar attempted was a true revolution with honest intentions tho not successful. 1966 coup was just a shameful act of power grab that should be thrown in the dustbin of History. Please let's not Debate that coup because it will bring topics like Biafra, Yoruba, Hausa etc... The coup was a shameful one simple!
My friend, stop deluding yourself. Who told you majority of Nigerians want GEJ dead? You may want him dead, that's your cup of tea. Speak for yourself. Just look out at the double speak in your comment. The Nzeogwu attempt to kill allegedly corrupt politicians of his time was no revolution but you'll consider killing of GEJ and other allegedly corrupt politicians a revolution? This clear double speak by a confused person.
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by RedLight1: 12:17pm On Dec 02, 2012
Ileke-IdI.:

The arabs did not think they want it, the US made them think they want it.
There is a big difference my brother
sometimes when people talk like this... it kinda irritate me... so usa has the ability to change the mentally of the whole country and turned them to zombies, are lybia people that dumb.... if abacha makes himself president for life and nigerians decide to go against him with the help of america or any western country, it means its america that want to outpost abacha abi? what a logic ...blame everything on the west syndrome even when ur leaders are out-rightly looting you to death (just ignore him and blame it on america eww)
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by vanstanzy(m): 12:31pm On Dec 02, 2012
We cant deny that liberation happened. But alongside it, came more confusion.
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Ayoobscom(m): 12:37pm On Dec 02, 2012
Ghadafi was a good leader assassinated just like a prophet of God was once crucified

God is Patiently patient...but there surely will ripe a judgment day

1 Like

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by RedLight1: 12:43pm On Dec 02, 2012
vanstanzy: We cant deny that liberation happened. But alongside it, came more confusion.
yes ... there is always positive and negative side to everything but people are just focusing much on the negative side (anyway that's africans for you)
they forgot the same arab spring gave egypt democracy (the ability to chose the muslim leaders they want) same with tunisia and so on, no one has to dictate to them how they should talk, what tv stations must show, what tv stations must write ... everyone now has the freedom to ask what their leaders are doing

during abacha's time, who can dare say rubbish publicly against him? now we have democracy and jonathan becomes the most cursed president on facebook simply becos democracy gave them the chance to say what they wanna say..

war bring peace but people had to die
same with everything

africans dont want millitary rule, they dont want kings, yet they complain about democracy... what do african wants? africans dont know
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 02, 2012
Frank-C:

Thanks to your piece, I can now say that I'm now more educated than I was before I logged into nairaland this morning. The president might not have met people's high expectations in many areas, but as it regards to deepening our democracy and growing our electoral process, I'd score the president 10/10. This is what the campaigners who yap about the president being clueless have failed to realise.

In the words of inspirational FRANK C, I await 2015 with an high aspiration to carry out my revolution not like the Arab spring, but through the ballot box.

1 Like

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by kunlekunle: 1:00pm On Dec 02, 2012
Henry120:

Thanks to your piece, I can now say that I'm now more educated than I was before I logged into nairaland this morning. The president might not have met people's high expectations in many areas, but as it regards to deepening our democracy and growing our electoral process, I'd score the president 10/10. This is what the campaigners who yap about the president being clueless have failed to realise.

In the words of inspirational FRANK C, I await 2015 with an high aspiration to carry out my revolution not like the Arab spring, but through the ballot box.

you'll soon find out its selection before election.
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by FrankC3: 1:01pm On Dec 02, 2012
0lumide:

No, he really understands the big picture. Do you know that the same Gadaffi came to power by revolution? If the revolution that brought Gadaffi is seen as 'wanted' by the Lybians, how then do you say that the revolution that removed him wasn't 'wanted'?

Revolution was the natural reaction of mankind to constancy, not necessarily because the leaders are not doing well. Tell me what Mubarak did wrong? What of Ghadaffi? Human nature forbids being under some one's political authority for unnecessarily long time. That was the feeling from Tunisia to Libya to Algeria and presently in Syria, not that those leaders are not doing well.

Democracy ensures that elections gets people involved in deciding whether they want change or not. It addresses the root of revolution, so calling for another revolution shows weak understanding of democracy or desperation for power or lack of confidence that the people will choose them freely. Period!!!

1 Like

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by justwise(m): 1:11pm On Dec 02, 2012
When i saw the title of this thread i knew that some contributors here will rather blame the West than discussing the topic.

Arab Spring is still young, the feeling is still raw, and stability is not expected in a year or two. Its not easy to have a turn-around of the system within one year.They now have the right to vote freely without being dictated to, have the right to demonstrate without being slaughtered by the military or locked up for years.

I found it very ridiculous that people are blaming the west, if the west is so powerful to the point of sending Tunisians, Egyptians and Libyans to the street to demonstrated, fight and get killed against their will then i want to be ruled by the west.
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by DICKtator: 1:14pm On Dec 02, 2012
Chaos!!!. Chaos is what we see. just like the French revolution. many heads to the gullotine. The hunters shall become the hunted then a state of anarchy,........................, then a dictator in the form of a leader like Napoleon shall rise and authoritarianism would be back again/. Another Mubarak/Ali/Qaddafi would soon take over. It is just a vicious cycle.
grin grin grin grin
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by BOMANY: 1:16pm On Dec 02, 2012
Democracy is a long way of life. It is not one act as revolution against tyranny. In Third world nations including Africans and Arabs, it is almost building a whole new system of life.
The recent quarrel in the Arab world is a very healthy sign to build up their democracy but under one condition, which is no violence. Any attempt to use military power against rivals will destroy the whole process.
We should understand that those who were gaining from the defunct regimes will never let it to go easily. They will fight to prevent the must coming change. History tells us that they had never succeeded.
The fallen tyrants; Ben Ali, Gaddafy & Mubarak surrounded themselves by fabricated elites to help them controlling their nations, including judges, businessmen, actors, actresses, media men ..etc. Most of the fight now is coming from those fake elites.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS: Earth To Experience 6 Days Total Darkness Dec 16-22 / Breaking News: ECOWAS Troops Given Go Ahead To Invade The Gambia / Charles Taylor Awaits War Crimes Court’s Verdict

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.