Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,447 members, 7,819,654 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? (6085 Views)

Can the Arab defeat the Jews In A War / Arab Woman Pilot Disowned By Her Family' For Bombing ISIS / Why Are The Arab Countries Mute On Gaza-israel War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by wayne4loan: 1:22pm On Dec 02, 2012
The arabs are such a nut case. Since the times of history, many people have tired to solve there problem, all to no aveal... Take the case of the Egyptians for instance, they took democracy and turned it into arabocrazy.
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Dec 02, 2012
kunlekunle:

you'll soon find out its selection before election.

I do not think it's a perfect process yet. It would soon become that(perfect) with the current pass at which it is growing. Compare the amount of election litigation during the obasanjo and yar'adua era to that of jonathan. We could clearly see an un precedented level in drop of candidates challenging results of election. Many sitting governors, rep members senators lost their positions and did not challenge the results. Some high profile examples are bankole, iyabo bello obasanjo, ohakim jst to name a few.

A transparent electoral process would most likely lead to a transparent governance process. We are not there yet, but we would. This I'm very optimistic about.
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by ddippset(m): 1:34pm On Dec 02, 2012
Frank-C:
Great thinkers and political philosophers really believed in revolution. Check out the writings of John Locke, the philosophy of US founding fathers, Zhou dynasty of China and the ancient Greeks. What people who don't really understand democracy don't understand is that in democracy, revolution is built into the system after years on reforms and civilization of the raw concept. That revolution is election and that is why electoral fraud is the single most putrid abuse of democracy because it stifles the ability of the majority to determine how they are governed. The ancient revolution model burns down cities in an attempt to bring down governments that acts against their 'common interest' mainly because the governments then did not have life spans, the leader leads till death and most likely hands over to his child (heir) like what happened in North Korea recently. Any body who give this idea of revolution a 10 minutes thought will understand that it is really childish and borne more out of exuberance to call for a revolution against a government with 4 to 10 years life span which is so minute in the life of a country.

Revolution is actually having terminal elections for leaders like Fashola and Ikedi Ohakim for the people to decide whether the leader is still serving their 'common interest' It means the moral and political need for all to go out and vote in line with policies and programs of a leader. It also means wisdom to safeguard the present civilization, no matter how little while expressing out desire for change of government- via polling booths. This is actually one of the reason I believe that GEJ is far more intelligent that the collection of the folks that call him clueless because he is strongly committed to defending our rights to revolts, but this time via the polling booths and our voting cards.

No matter how attractive the word 'revolution' as is being presently called for may sound to young(not age wise but depth) minds, it is the single strongest forces of retrogression. Under the spell of 'revolution', we may not just have a country anymore. Under 'revolution fever' we can give extremists and unstable and brainwashed minds free reign over our affairs because thinkers and intelligent people can never support revolution where there is free and fair election.

The 'revolution' I support today is the one that will allow me to cast my vote for or against my leaders and seeing my vote being counted in the evening of the election day. Even if my choice of candidate did not prevail, I have had my say and the majority have decided what 'we' should do, after all, I can not be wiser than tens of millions of people. That revolution empowered Imo people to vote out Ikedi Ohakim and Ondo people to vote in Mimiko without destroying their market places, loss of life and burning down their cities. In 2015, I will participate in another revolution, to determine who will replace my State Governor and who will be my President for the next four years.
nice pice but iam sorry my dear, elections in nigeria are still very far from being free and fair so the kind of revolution that you seek isnt coming any time soon. also i assure you that our political system gives no room for chosing my favoured candidate for over 90% of nigerians. its always a situation of chosing the lesser evil. for instance my foresight tells me that in 2015 i would once again be stuck between voting for a weak GEJ and a fundamentalist buhari, caught between the devil and the deep blue see if you would.

1 Like

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Liverpoolfc(m): 1:37pm On Dec 02, 2012
Sincere 9gerian:
My friend, stop deluding yourself. Who told you majority of Nigerians want GEJ dead? You may want him dead, that's your cup of tea. Speak for yourself. Just look out at the double speak in your comment. The Nzeogwu attempt to kill allegedly corrupt politicians of his time was no revolution but you'll consider killing of GEJ and other allegedly corrupt politicians a revolution? This clear double speak by a confused person.
i want GEJ alife. He is not corrupt, if he was, Adams wouldn't hv been Edo state governor, Rochas wouldn,t hv won in imo state. I believe more 60% of Nigerian will not support anything that will kill GEJ. If u doubt me, Lets vote. Moderator great a forum and lets vote.
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Cunninlingus: 1:41pm On Dec 02, 2012
Sincere 9gerian: The 'Arab Spring' or Arab revolution, which resulted in regime change in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya,etc have come and gone. Besides change in regime and the fact that those countries can now chose their leaders in an election, what else has changed? I ask this question because of those who think that revolution is the solution to Nigeria's problem. The Egyptians who recently had a revolution and change in govt are BACK ON THE STREETS protesting against the leader they elected only a few mouths ago. A VIOLENT PROTEST broke out in some parts of Tunisia this week over alarming rate of unemployment. Libya is still very unstable. The saying that 'all that glitters is not gold' appears to be holding forth again. What do you guys think?

The biggest changes are yet to come from the Arab Spring.

Secular dictatorships governments have been replaced by populist religious authorities. The possibility of a Pan-Arabic Nation being formed which will account for at least 500 million people and cut across North Africa and the middle East will surely affect the global geo-politics as we know of it.

The middle-East has always had a strategic role in global politics and trade from it's unique land position between Europe and Asia. Present day significance of shipping routes for destined oil shipments to Asian and goods to other parts of the world will make this pan Arabic state a major economy hub stretching from the straits of Gibraltar on the Mediterranean to the Suez Canal and Hormuz. Other than oil imports, the middle east and islamic north Africa are dotted with pilgrimage sites for Islam. To put it into perspective the Saudi govt declared 16 billion dollars as revenue from this year's concluding Hajj pilgrimage. Other than an economic boom from religious tourism, this unified Arab Nation will have the ideological advantage in wooing other Muslim dominated countries in the far east, east Europe and Balkans as well as in Africa. The politics in the UN will be greatly affected and I see this Arab Nation demanding for a significant role and sit in Security and economic councils.

The new Arab state will have a greater political and economic say and as such disputes that have existed within the Arab world against the west and Israel will be advanced.

There will be a clash of civilizations and I foresee a world war in the making.
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by obalola7: 1:45pm On Dec 02, 2012
Liverpoolfc: i want GEJ alife. He is not corrupt, if he was, Adams wouldn't hv been Edo state governor, Rochas wouldn,t hv won in imo state. I believe more 60% of Nigerian will not support anything that will kill GEJ. If u doubt me, Lets vote. Moderator great a forum and lets vote.

I think you forgot what the meaning of corruption is.. because a man tries to make few state election to be real in other to prevent total destruction of his own party, you say he is not corrupt.
Do you know what it will be like, if the entire country is ruled by corrupt PDP party, then GEJ knows that could bring revolution quicker than expected.

If he is not corrupt, why is he shielding some corrupt cronies of his?
If he is not corrupt, why will he be spending such ridiculous amount on feeding?
If he is not corrupt, tell him to tell us detail on how Nigeria oil money is spent?
If he is not corrupt, why is he not declaring his asset like he did when his predecessor was there?

3 Likes

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Fineone(m): 1:47pm On Dec 02, 2012
ARAB AUTUMN grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Dec 02, 2012
kunlekunle:

you'll soon find out its selection before election.
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by BOMANY: 1:55pm On Dec 02, 2012
Ben Ali, Qaddafy, Mubarak, Asad are nothing but bloody tyrants. I thought we are done with this.
Qaddafy hanged thousands of peaceful protesters including university students without lawful trial. He hanged them either in the stadium or the university. A decade before the revolution.
Mubarak imprisoned more than 100 thousands along his 30 years tenure without trial; in fact he ignored thousands of court decisions to release most of them.
Asad is killing his people as his father did in 1980 when he bombed the revolution.
Moreover, All of them turned their countries into family business. Their wives, sons or relatives gained billions of dollars illegally.
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by obalola7: 1:58pm On Dec 02, 2012
Sincere 9gerian: The 'Arab Spring' or Arab revolution, which resulted in regime change in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya,etc have come and gone. Besides change in regime and the fact that those countries can now chose their leaders in an election, what else has changed? I ask this question because of those who think that revolution is the solution to Nigeria's problem. The Egyptians who recently had a revolution and change in govt are BACK ON THE STREETS protesting against the leader they elected only a few mouths ago. A VIOLENT PROTEST broke out in some parts of Tunisia this week over alarming rate of unemployment. Libya is still very unstable. The saying that 'all that glitters is not gold' appears to be holding forth again. What do you guys think?

I think, we are quick to forget that Nigeria poor creates the life they live for themselves.
look at it this way, do you want to tell me that the okada people in lagos were blind to re-vote fashola into office, i think NO.
They saw what he did in his first term and he easily bought them with helmet and some cheap ankara-cloths and they sold their birthright to him and then he did what he had plan with their birthright.

GEJ did not just become president by voting himself, rather by Nigerians vote. An average man looses his sense whenever, he sees bread, milk and butter. He puts religion above everything including reasoning and then let God to guide him, when he has a God given brain to think.
GEJ went to the poor people Father in the LORD(ADEBOYE)first he deceived the man, then he used the man also to deceive the people. You saw GEJ knelt down in front of your father in the Lord and then you said he is humble, its like a fraudster calling you uncle, bros, oga in order to win your heart and then dupe you, and when you ask him what he has done, he said o boy leave that story.

The biggest scam and fraud of the modern time in Nigeris is JONATHAN alias GEJ, now, he sees that Adeboye eyes have open and that stealing by trick he played on the old man will not buy Nigeria this time, so he is planing another one by AYO ORISTJEFOR your CAN President. He bought him a plan so the guy can canvas for him to all the fake pastors under his leadership, who are quick to eat and dine with wealth irrespective of the source.

Nigeria youths wake up. Stop saluting the wealth,rich, politicians,money and any illegitimate things like car, house, secured with ill gotten wealth by this people that continue to ruin your life and takes what belong to you; then later give you N1000 naira our of your stolen money because he knows you are poor; stop voting to any fraudster, because he gives you Ankara, bag of rice, money etc to entice you. Create a standard for yourselves and maintain your integrity if not You will be easily selling your future and you will continue to be unemployed.

4 Likes

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Originalsly: 1:59pm On Dec 02, 2012
Sincere 9gerian:
I dont think it was about what Africans wanted. I think it was about what Libyans wanted. Libyans wanted a revolution. US and Europe only facilitated what Libyans wanted.
Which Libyans wanted what? You certainly drank the cool aid served by the West. Would you say the same if the West facilitated what Boko Haram want? It was no different with Libya. Libya had a better standard of living than any Western country period. Have you ever heard of unemployment, health, terrorism, educational or homelessness in Libya? Now you can. The people are worse off in every country that took part in the Arab Spring and all except Egypt are now controlled by the West.
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Builder: 2:28pm On Dec 02, 2012
Simple. Expect the rise of terror and terrorism. Due to the uncanny selfishness of the west for Libyan oil they proceeded and invaded a sovereign nation, we have seem how ordinary Libyans are scared to wander out of their houses for their daily bread, a country now fragmented and ruled by militias with sophisticated weapons, we have seen how black people are now locked up in the desert to die or locked in zoos.. oh and how the IMF and world bank have ruined the once debt-free country with debt that the unborn children of Libya will never stop paying while the resources of the great country have been divided by the "friends of Libya".. if the incident on September 11 in Libya is anything to go by the West, infact, the world is in disaster and they should prepare themselves for the second coming of Al Qaeda.

Through the 24 hours news channels, we have been lied to to believe the invasion was a cry-out for help by Libyans which was a fabrication of the truth. if only Libya or any other country can see the riots of the summer 2011 in London as a cry-out for help and topple the regime of David Cameron and the “Occupy Protest” in America as a cry-out to overthrow Obama

Karl Marx was right when he said history repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce. The world have seen what became of Iraq, a country invaded by the Americans for its oil, and its aftermath which is random suicide bombers, religious killings and other crimes unheard of pre-invasion. yet, we see the west again, doing all they can to topple the Assad government in Syria supplying the terrorist AKA rebels with weapons and financed by the NATO and Some unscrupulous regimes in the middle East, furthermore, employing Islamic fundamentalist to fight the Assad government all in the name of the myth called democracy, yet in Saudi Arabia where most of the 9/11 suicide bomber came from the western world and defenders of democracy have dome nothing but kiss the arse of the monarchy there… we have seem the British prime minister persuading the United Arab Emirates to buy 60 Eurofighter Typhoon fighter jets in a deal reported to be worth more than £3bn while overlooking the terror and torture the Saudi govt dishes out to its citizens who demand a political reform, the rights of women and rights to practice religion freely.

The concept of Arab Spring is a term coined by the west to covertly carry out their devilish and selfish ends to invade and oppress any leader or country that refuses to bow from the pressure from the west. Obama openly praises the Arab spring as a step towards democracy and freedom but condemns the Palestinian struggle to be free from the shackles and apartheid regime of the Zionist.

i don’t need democracy. I just want liberty, justice, equality and above all a government that serves my needs and interest. Give me option to chose either Obama or Gadaffi.. i sure know who i will chose and its not Obama

4 Likes

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Whobedatte(m): 2:51pm On Dec 02, 2012
obalola7:

I think you forgot what the meaning of corruption is.. because a man tries to make few state election to be real in other to prevent total destruction of his own party, you say he is not corrupt.
Do you know what it will be like, if the entire country is ruled by corrupt PDP party, then GEJ knows that could bring revolution quicker than expected.

If he is not corrupt, why is he shielding some corrupt cronies of his?
If he is not corrupt, why will he be spending such ridiculous amount on feeding?
If he is not corrupt, tell him to tell us detail on how Nigeria oil money is spent?
If he is not corrupt, why is he not declaring his asset like he did when his predecessor was there?

,In a country like ours, Good governance would not be demanded by our votes, because our electoral system has failed us, Revolution is the Key. If the arab springs stopped #Hosni and allowed democratic process , through Morsi, who has failed to learn from history and followed the footsteps of Doe, Idi amin , Mobutu, Taylor etc who are dictators, Did the same Egyptians not protest against Morsi few days back after he sought judicial powers by inflicting harsh policies on them? Why has everyone overlooked our neighbours GHANA revolution with Rawlings? Isn't it paying off for them Truth is, we've not gotten to a stage where our votes would count 100% and the only solution is thru a revolution!
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Dec 02, 2012
there was no revolution in the arab world it was just some bunch of western backed terrorist and fanatical religious groups lyk the brotherhood enactin regime change in their respective countries to fit the plan of america and its gulf state allies to reshape the middle east for its geopolitical intrest.because if there was a real arab spring u wud expect regime change in the gulf states lyk saudi arabia and qatar cos dey av absolute monarchies nd dey re stil attendin ceremonies in london and washinton.

1 Like

Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Cunninlingus: 4:13pm On Dec 02, 2012
The biggest changes are yet to come from the Arab Spring.

Secular dictatorships governments have been replaced by populist religious authorities. The possibility of a Pan-Arabic Nation being formed which will account for at least 500 million people and cut across North Africa and the middle East will surely affect the global geo-politics as we know of it.

The middle-East has always had a strategic role in global politics and trade from it's unique land position between Europe and Asia. Present day significance of shipping routes for destined oil shipments to Asian and goods to other parts of the world will make this pan Arabic state a major economy hub stretching from the straits of Gibraltar on the Mediterranean to the Suez Canal and Hormuz. Other than oil imports, the middle east and islamic north Africa are dotted with pilgrimage sites for Islam. To put it into perspective the Saudi govt declared 16 billion dollars as revenue from this year's concluding Hajj pilgrimage. Other than an economic boom from religious tourism, this unified Arab Nation will have the ideological advantage in wooing other Muslim dominated countries in the far east, east Europe and Balkans as well as in Africa. The politics in the UN will be greatly affected and I see this Arab Nation demanding for a significant role and sit in Security and economic councils.

The new Arab state will have a greater political and economic say and as such disputes that have existed within the Arab world against the west and Israel will be advanced.

There will be a clash of civilizations and I foresee a world war in the making.
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by eggheaders(m): 4:52pm On Dec 02, 2012
seriously the west and the so called democracy they preach is a big fraud.I prefare a ghadaffi dictators rule to the hog wash democracy practised in most poverty stricken sub saharan african nations.the hypocrisy of the suppose world police is getting above north.arming terrorist to invade sovereign nation. the death of the Libya ambassador speaks volume of the legitimacy of the bengahazi thugs.licking the ass of lawless Saudi monarch but want to force due process on a ghadaffi is gross double standard.
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by dayokanu(m): 5:39pm On Dec 02, 2012
Sincere 9gerian:
The point being made is that revolution is unpredictable and does not always lead to better life for the people. It is even more silly when some shallow minded individuals contemplate revolution in a country under democratic governance like us. How did the Nzeogwu revolution of 1966 end?

How can anyone call the Ibo power grab of 1966 a revolution?

A revolution that killed the Prime Minister but left the President because he was Ibo?

The revolution that killed the Premier of the West and North but left the Premier of the East and Midwest because they were Ibos

A revolution that killed Okotie-Eboh but left all the Ibo ministers that filled the cabinet like JaJa Wachukwu and co

A revolution that killed military leaders from the West and North like Ademulegun, Maimalari and Sodeinde but left Ironsi and other Ibo top soldiers

Like Olumide said, what happened in January 1966 was no revolution it was a display of cruelty and extreme tribalism by a section of the country.The IBOs
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by try69: 6:14pm On Dec 02, 2012
BOMANY: Ben Ali, Qaddafy, Mubarak, Asad are nothing but bloody tyrants. I thought we are done with this.
Qaddafy hanged thousands of peaceful protesters including university students without lawful trial. He hanged them either in the stadium or the university. A decade before the revolution.
Mubarak imprisoned more than 100 thousands along his 30 years tenure without trial; in fact he ignored thousands of court decisions to release most of them.
Asad is killing his people as his father did in 1980 when he bombed the revolution.
Moreover, All of them turned their countries into family business. Their wives, sons or relatives gained billions of dollars illegally.

Abeg tell them cos they sure don't get what freedom means..in as much as I know the west chooses whom to and whom not to dine with based on the economic gains, most of their support for "FREEDOM" is a perfect good.
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by chessguru1(m): 6:35pm On Dec 02, 2012
Sincere 9gerian:
The point being made is that revolution is unpredictable and does not always lead to better life for the people. It is even more silly when some shallow minded individuals contemplate revolution in a country under democratic governance like us. How did the Nzeogwu revolution of 1966 end?
It was the one single reason for the beginning of the decline of this country. How a group of 5 misguided majors single handedly diverted the course nd destiny of a nation will remain a mystery 2 me.
They open pandora's box on dis country by introducing d military on us.
Their singular action was the foundation of the biafran war (killing of d igbos in d north was a retaliation of their so called revolution)..
The list goes on and on...sadly most ppl calling for a revolution on dis NL are doing so from d safety of their laptops, in countries far away from nigeria
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by yoged(m): 7:06pm On Dec 02, 2012
Sincere 9gerian:
I dont think it was about what Africans wanted. I think it was about what Libyans wanted. Libyans wanted a revolution. US and Europe only facilitated what Libyans wanted. In the same vein, some Nigerians are currently hungry and thirsty for revolution. They said only a revolution will solve all of our problems. Perhaps after the revolution, the fulani man will now see the Igbo man as his brother and vice versa. They said we nearly had a revolution during the Jan subsidy protest. Anyway, children will always be children and think like children.
may God bless your knowledge. Please tell them. Revolution is what the people of libya,tunisia and egypt wanted, US and europe would definitely support them. I don't see a leader turning against 80% of his people and thinking he root out or destroy such people.... Another example is what's happening in Syria, I don't see assad staying for so long on that throne.
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Dec 02, 2012
Sincere 9gerian: Are you sure? US is still the world's super power

. . . Sure you mean one of the world's super powers
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by taharqa: 9:11pm On Dec 02, 2012
chess guru:
It was the one single reason for the beginning of the decline of this country. How a group of 5 misguided majors single handedly diverted the course nd destiny of a nation will remain a mystery 2 me.
They open pandora's box on dis country by introducing d military on us.
Their singular action was the foundation of the biafran war (killing of d igbos in d north was a retaliation of their so called revolution)..
The list goes on and on...sadly most ppl calling for a revolution on dis NL are doing so from d safety of their laptops, in countries far away from nigeria
You have a very good head at the top of yr trunk (which is a rarity these days, esp on NL).... There are 3 events led by 3 diff gangs most responsible for Nigeria's current state more than 52yrs after independence, events that has had d greatest effect on d course of dis nation's chequed history - Nzeogwu and his gang in 1966 (without a doubt the single biggest 'causative'), Buhari and his gang in 1983 and IBB and his gang in 1993.....
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by amiskurie(m): 10:17pm On Dec 02, 2012
They are very selfish nt to have noticed that the westerns were out to destabilize region.
If you have a government that's working and largely accepted by the pple then keep supporting.
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by fortyfeet(m): 10:17pm On Dec 02, 2012
Ileke-IdI.:

The arabs did not think they want it, the US made them think they want it.
There is a big difference my brother
"the US made them think they want it"
Americans now think for the arabs. Difficult to decipher.
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by fortyfeet(m): 4:35am On Dec 03, 2012
Builder: Simple. Expect the rise of terror and terrorism. Due to the uncanny selfishness of the west for Libyan oil they proceeded and invaded a sovereign nation, we have seem how ordinary Libyans are scared to wander out of their houses for their daily bread, a country now fragmented and ruled by militias with sophisticated weapons, we have seen how black people are now locked up in the desert to die or locked in zoos.. oh and how the IMF and world bank have ruined the once debt-free country with debt that the unborn children of Libya will never stop paying while the resources of the great country have been divided by the "friends of Libya".. if the incident on September 11 in Libya is anything to go by the West, infact, the world is in disaster and they should prepare themselves for the second coming of Al Qaeda.

Through the 24 hours news channels, we have been lied to to believe the invasion was a cry-out for help by Libyans which was a fabrication of the truth. if only Libya or any other country can see the riots of the summer 2011 in London as a cry-out for help and topple the regime of David Cameron and the “Occupy Protest” in America as a cry-out to overthrow Obama

Karl Marx was right when he said history repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce. The world have seen what became of Iraq, a country invaded by the Americans for its oil, and its aftermath which is random suicide bombers, religious killings and other crimes unheard of pre-invasion. yet, we see the west again, doing all they can to topple the Assad government in Syria supplying the terrorist AKA rebels with weapons and financed by the NATO and Some unscrupulous regimes in the middle East, furthermore, employing Islamic fundamentalist to fight the Assad government all in the name of the myth called democracy, yet in Saudi Arabia where most of the 9/11 suicide bomber came from the western world and defenders of democracy have dome nothing but kiss the arse of the monarchy there… we have seem the British prime minister persuading the United Arab Emirates to buy 60 Eurofighter Typhoon fighter jets in a deal reported to be worth more than £3bn while overlooking the terror and torture the Saudi govt dishes out to its citizens who demand a political reform, the rights of women and rights to practice religion freely.

The concept of Arab Spring is a term coined by the west to covertly carry out their devilish and selfish ends to invade and oppress any leader or country that refuses to bow from the pressure from the west. Obama openly praises the Arab spring as a step towards democracy and freedom but condemns the Palestinian struggle to be free from the shackles and apartheid regime of the Zionist.

i don’t need democracy. I just want liberty, justice, equality and above all a government that serves my needs and interest. Give me option to chose either Obama or Gadaffi.. i sure know who i will chose and its not Obama
You make the arabs look so dumb as not to know their right from their left. If it be so, then sorry, they are lesser beings (animals)
@Originalsly
"Have you ever heard of unemployment, health, terrorism, educational or homelessness in Libya?"
You won't hear because the regim forbids/prohibits anyone from talking or you die. If not for democracy, nairaland wouldn't have been or would have been a thing of the past.
EMBRACE DEMOCRACY AND PRACTICE IT WELL, THATS THE ONLY WAY TO GAIN THE GAIN.
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by NessaFresh(f): 9:09am On Dec 03, 2012
justwise: When i saw the title of this thread i knew that some contributors here will rather blame the West than discussing the topic.

Arab Spring is still young, the feeling is still raw, and stability is not expected in a year or two. Its not easy to have a turn-around of the system within one year.They now have the right to vote freely without being dictated to, have the right to demonstrate without being slaughtered by the military or locked up for years.

I found it very ridiculous that people are blaming the west, if the west is so powerful to the point of sending Tunisians, Egyptians and Libyans to the street to demonstrated, fight and get killed against their will then i want to be ruled by the west.
You said it all we cannot expect things to be purrfect just years after these revolutions. These nations are in a rebuilding process, it will take time and things will get better
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by thoth: 10:52am On Dec 03, 2012
The United States had always wanted to overthrow Gaddafi and they took the Opportunity of the fracas in Tunisia and Egypt to invade Libya.
The Benghazi extremist had always wanted an Islamic Libya instead of the secular Libya that Gaddafi created and they have been fighting the Libyan Army under the banner of The Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG) classified by the UN as a Terrorist Organization and has a list of terrorist acts under its belt, it has been a focus of British intelligence for more than 20 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libyan_Islamic_Fighting_Group

What happened in Libya was not a revolution as it did not comprise the majority, The USA and Arab Monarchs armed the LIGF to overthrow Gaddafi, it was a known fact that 93% of the fighters in the so called Libyan Revolution were not Libyans just like more that 90% of the present Anti-Assad fighters in Syria are not Syrians but Al-Qaeda terrorist vying for an Islamic Arab state. USA through NATO supplied Arms,logistics and intelligence to the Rebels and also provided air support in the guise of a "NO FLY ZONE" .
http://rt.com/news/syria-un-foreign-mercenaries-310/
http://news.yahoo.com/foreign-fighters-worry-boost-syrian-rebels-222659412.html
The best way to imagine what happened in Libya will be to say , Boko Haram guys starting a protest in the North say Maiduguri and later forming their own government(NTC), being armed by NATO and air cover provided for them now topples GoodLuck's regime with troops from Northern Cameroon,Mali and Niger Republic. You guys should understand that being what the Imperialist West wants they gave them diplomatic support and a powerful but biased media coverage.

Democracy is a very good thing, but for Africa and especially Nigeria at this point in our struggle for true liberation the last thing we need is WESTERN STYLED DEMOCRACY, A Gaddafi is what we need.
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Mohammedekete: 11:24am On Dec 03, 2012
0lumide:

Leave your sentiments aside! That wasn't a revolution! That was a military coup. Revolution can have a leader, but it must also have the consensus of a majority of the people and by majority, I mean a huge majority not 60/40 or 70/30. A revolution needs a ripe majority consensus like 80/20 and above. 1966 coup has like 20% of agreement. Northerners weren't ready to have their leaders killed same as Westerners and Middle belt! Akintola may have betrayed Awolowo and Yorubas but Yorubas weren't ready to have him dead according to numerous journals on the topic. As you can see, the coup made the killed, heroes in Nigerian history.

In Nigeria now, Aanyone able to eliminate these corrupt politicians will be a hero because the consensu is on the high of 90% for revolution. If Jonathan is murdered, Atiku and other Northern corrupts murdered and western and eastern corrupts murdered, there will be nothing like civil war, these are dirty politicians not military men. was Ghana plunged into civil war when the corrupts were eliminated? No because it was balanced.

About the 1966 coup, don't call it a revolution because it was intended by a few people not a majority. What Gideon Okar attempted was a true revolution with honest intentions tho not successful. 1966 coup was just a shameful act of power grab that should be thrown in the dustbin of History. Please let's not Debate that coup because it will bring topics like Biafra, Yoruba, Hausa etc... The coup was a shameful one simple!
for your mind
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by FlamingGun: 12:21pm On Dec 03, 2012
I live in a North African country that witnessed the "revolution". The country is far worse than prior to the revolution.
Re: What Happened After The 'Arab Spring'? by Mavrick2012: 5:00pm On Dec 03, 2012
Abagworo:

I still don't know why Africans sat down and watched the US and EU destroy Africa's most successful Nation. Ghadafi identified more with blacks than Arabs and was fighting Islamic extremism.
pls go n tell dat 2d birds at d bak of ur house."gadafi identify's more wit blacks dan odas" n libya's security agents(unda gadafi)kept harasin,atakin,n depotin nigerians n blacks."gadafi fot extremist" yet he was linked to so many terorist groups in d midl east even alqaida.na sen kei dan baushe ne.magana kaman wawa

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breaking News: ECOWAS Troops Given Go Ahead To Invade The Gambia / Charles Taylor Awaits War Crimes Court’s Verdict / Pakistani Govt Condemns Minister's $100K Anti-Islam Film Bounty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.