Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? (38708 Views)

Most African Parents Don't Know The Meaning Of Reflex(pix) / Why Are A Baby's First Words 'mama' And 'dada' / I Honestly Need To Know The Meaning Of These Words- "Boo" And "Bae" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by intrepid: 7:56pm On Dec 01, 2012
I dont mean the Taribo West style,Ras Kimono or even Basket Mouth type which are all 'man-made' and surely deliberately done 4 cosmetic reasons....I speak about some children with dreadlocks which they even carry into their school-age years unshaved because it is connected to some deity and the child will die anyday the hair is cut without his consent and certain rituals done....No one is allowed to touch their hair.Sometimes the parents claim that even after shaving the hair off,it naturally re-grew in dreadlocked pattern again and would continue thus until d ritual of shaving is done!....People I dont yet understand this issue but it is with us...and some ppl here on NL may have been candidates(dada) too....Plz let someone educate us more.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 8:27pm On Dec 01, 2012
Educate you on what exactly? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Caseless: 10:52pm On Dec 01, 2012
Those kids u see with dreads too are not natural, their parents leave the hair without doing anything to straighten the hair....so that's when u see it developing.

D way garri name be garri nation wide, na so dada b dada everywhere for nigeria....no other name for it.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:04am On Dec 02, 2012
cheesy grin cheesy Garri= Dada..... Jezebel mother of gawd!! cheesy cheesy
My belle o! grin

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by intrepid: 10:31am On Dec 02, 2012
Kobojunkie: Educate you on what exactly? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
your id sounds like you were once in that group so you can say more about it.Oya:-D

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by EfemenaXY: 10:35am On Dec 02, 2012
^^ Lol! grin grin

I always thought 'dada' meant mad / crazy...and associates with the real mad men you see roaming the streets...esp the n@ked ones lipsrsealed I could be wrong though...
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Dec 02, 2012
My baby was born with thick dark hair. My MIL said she was a 'dada' . . . Said it ran in the family and apparently, my husband was one too (even though he was never told undecided ).

Anyways, I didn't believe her cos my daughters hair looked normal and she doesn't scream when I touch it. So I went ahead and combed the hair.

Week 1 - No reaction
Week 2 - Still no reaction
Week 3 - Severe running stomach for 3 days at a stretch.

Of course kids get diarrhea but MIL kept insisting it was cos I was combing her hair even though she was dada. I wanted to be safe than sorry so I stopped combing the hair . .

3 days later, still running stomach (even after treatment)!

So I started combing her hair again and changed my diet (since I was breastfeeding exclusively); and the diarrhea stopped!

She's 9 months now, I comb her hair everyday and nothing has happened!

I don't beleive in DADA. Some children are born with naturally thick hair and can get headaches/fever when combed roughly. Nigerians need to stop being unbelievably backward!

14 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 6:38pm On Dec 02, 2012
intrepid: your id sounds like you were once in that group so you can say more about it.Oya:-D

I do have hair that goes dread if I don't comb it after a couple of hours but I don't understand what it is exactly you want to know of. The hair? The people and their paranoid delusions about the hair? Or the culture they have built around their fears of hair of that texture?

PS. For the umpteenth time(though I would expect this to click immediately for any person born Nigerian), the moniker KoboJunkie really implies that I love the Kobo(the Nigerian currency unit). Yes, 1 Naira is not the unit, the Kobo is.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by intrepid: 9:32am On Dec 03, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I do have hair that goes dread if I don't comb it after a couple of hours but I don't understand what it is exactly you want to know of. The hair? The people and their paranoid delusions about the hair? Or the culture they have built around their fears of hair of that texture?

PS. For the umpteenth time(though I would expect this to click immediately for any person born Nigerian), the moniker KoboJunkie really implies that I love the Kobo(the Nigerian currency unit). Yes, 1 Naira is not the unit, the Kobo is.
Your views exactly.thats what i want to know as you can see others sharing their experiences here.ok?Thanks
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Basic(m): 9:53pm On Dec 03, 2012
"Dadas" are absolutely normal human beings, without any fetish traits.

All hear about them are just baseless attributions.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by NessaFresh(f): 9:55pm On Dec 03, 2012
It implies natural swag

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by 3direct: 9:57pm On Dec 03, 2012
Dada have semi craze attitude

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 9:58pm On Dec 03, 2012
Basic: "Dadas" are absolutely normal human beings, without any fetish traits.

All hear about them are just baseless attributions.

If only those who believe there is some supernatural link with Dadas would at least worship us with Gold and Silver - the only way to convince me that this dreaded hair of mine that I hate to wash as a result is a blessing . ROFLMAO!!

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by valencia25(m): 10:02pm On Dec 03, 2012
Dada is a boy in other words you can ask Uncle G
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by tellwisdom: 10:10pm On Dec 03, 2012
You meant to say ADA?? Ada means first daughter.... sad sad
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by TableLeg(m): 10:18pm On Dec 03, 2012
NessaFresh: It implies natural swag
ODE
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Ninilowo(m): 10:22pm On Dec 03, 2012
Dada awuru. AWURU yale ya'gi oko............dada olowo ori...bunmi lowo kan n ta m'ori.................

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by omoalaro: 10:25pm On Dec 03, 2012
Does it have anything to do with religion? Because I have seen many religious men usually in dirty white garments carrying about this dreadlocks popularly called dada.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Dec 03, 2012
samson in the bible had dada.we know the story already.his strength was hidden in the dreads.no thanks to the biatch delilah who fuccked him up.btw, i have noticed that some kids with dada are naturally big in stature.i dunno if anyone have noticed too.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by iamswizz(m): 10:43pm On Dec 03, 2012
Is dada a food or a new s3x style
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Dec 03, 2012
Efemena_xy: ^^ Lol! grin grin

I always thought 'dada' meant mad / crazy...and associates with the real mad men you see roaming the streets...esp the n@ked ones lipsrsealed I could be wrong though...

YOU ARE WRONG!

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by vislabraye(m): 10:53pm On Dec 03, 2012
Its something to be researched.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by awesomet1(m): 10:57pm On Dec 03, 2012
Demon possessed
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 11:06pm On Dec 03, 2012
awesome_t: Demon possessed

Na you be demon possessed. See as people just dey open mouth dey declare things as if those of us here have no feelings.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by UNLEASHED(m): 11:10pm On Dec 03, 2012
I always think there's something religious about the "Dada" issue. 90% of the ones I've seen are "Cele" (A shorter way of referring to someone who goes to Celestial churches. *If that makes sense*

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Dec 03, 2012
Religious kor! I was a born dada dude... Still got the pics to verify it... It was only cut because of the fact that I was starting nursery school... Not a single chicken lost its life over my lovely dada hair... I'm presently grooming my daughter's hair to become a dada breed. It this time, with a difference

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by TableLeg(m): 11:21pm On Dec 03, 2012
awesome_t: Demon possessed
Mor/on
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Dec 03, 2012
There is nothing spiritual or fetish about it. I was born with dread (dada), but it was cut off wen i was around 3years old, as my grandma told me (kinda painful that i couldn't even see a pix of it.) So when i started modelling in my early 20's that i started keeping temporary dreads for some modelling jobs, (calendars advert, Tv Commercials and For Various Fashion shows) uncles, mom, sisters were so against it, but it was only my wonderful grandma that supported me, telling them that, i hope u guys know where dis young man is coming from, he could av been on this hairstyle you all complaining of forever u know? Before i was left alone, but for some years now, i'm on a lovely, cool, thick, smooth little afro. The style i'll keep till i'm 100!!!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by slimyem: 11:46pm On Dec 03, 2012
jidegirl12: cheesy grin cheesy Garri= Dada..... Jezebel mother of gawd!! cheesy cheesy
My belle o! grin
lmao...
My belle too o...!gringrincheesy
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:51pm On Dec 03, 2012
caseless: Those kids u see with dreads too are not natural, their parents leave the hair without doing anything to straighten the hair....so that's when u see it developing.

D way garri name be garri nation wide, na so dada b dada everywhere for nigeria....no other name for it.
. . . . . . .caseless my guy, how av u been, hop good? . . . . . @ur comment, ur comment na real caseless o, so you mean people like me are not natural? Thats serious o. Where are we from then? & who are we? Some kinda U.F.O's i think? Lastly, wetin come concern garri for this matter now? What a comparison!!! . . . . . Caseless my guy, yo ma nigga!!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:51pm On Dec 03, 2012
I'm one bt it has been cut when I was little and one thing av noticed is dt everytime I comb my hair,within few hrs(at most,5hrs),It will be forming something similar to dreadlock again,I mean my hair tieing knot(hope I gor d spelling rite)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by dayokanu(m): 12:09am On Dec 04, 2012
slimyem: lmao...
My belle too o...!gringrincheesy

Who give you belle

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy / Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry / Lockdown Could Lead To 7 Million Unintended Pregnancies - UN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.