Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,098 members, 7,818,286 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit (30880 Views)

Woman Dies In Tender Hospital Enugu Due To Alleged Negligence / Turkish Airlines Staff Dies In Istanbul Due To Nigerian Mosquito Bite (Photo) / Nigerian Girl Dies In Thailand After Buttock Surgery Fails (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by kay9(m): 10:08pm On Dec 01, 2012
chiswaggs:
it would have made more sense if you read my whole write up sha. Just saying... I actually condemned d act but just looked at it from the side of the clinic management. Nxt tym comment on a whole post. I hope such does not happen to me and I pray God grants the family the fortitude to bear the loss but Im not still sure of how many of you run your businesses on a charity basis. Just saying sha. I don't think that human beings will be that wicked. The clinic management may include mothers, fathers, etc. They must have had certain unpleasant experiences that has led them to this state. Don't just jump into hasty conclusions without hearing the side of the clinic. You might be suprised that the clinic's version of this incidence might be quite different. Just saying sha..

Just so you know i read your whole comment, i'm quoting this one in full. Dude, stop speaking from both ends of your mouth; you "condemn" the act, then you turn around to remind all that it was a "business" decision... In simple english, was the act right or not?? Whatever angle you look at the incident from - the clinic management's view or whatever - has NO bearing whatsoever on whether the act was RIGHT. And if it was NOT right, then you're just defending the indefensible.

So tell me again, was the clinic's action RIGHT?

2 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by Nobody: 10:09pm On Dec 01, 2012
Fr0sbel:

Mate, I have a conscience unlike you and your atheist cohorts.
Now you think my views are shaped by atheistic beliefs? Lol, you're a running comedy.
When will you ever be free from segregation? Must you keep judging people by groups? These are solely my views.

Are all Christians here on the same page as you, acidosis for example?

I expect better from you, Oga Frosbel.
Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by Nobody: 10:10pm On Dec 01, 2012
kay9:

Just so you know i read your whole comment, i'm quoting this one in full. Dude, stop speaking from both ends of your mouth; you "condemn" the act, then you turn around to remind all that it was a "business" decision... In simple english, was the act right or not?? Whatever angle you look at the incident from - the clinic management's view or whatever - has NO bearing whatsoever on whether the act was RIGHT. And if it was NOT right, then you're just defending the indefensible.
An act is deemed right or wrong by the motive, not the consequence. Was the hospital's motive to get their money or kill a lady?
Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by Fr0sbel: 10:10pm On Dec 01, 2012
musKeeto:
Now you think my views are shaped by atheistic beliefs? Lol, you're a running comedy.
When will you ever be free from segregation? Must you keep judging people by groups? These are solely my views.

Are all Christians here on the same page as you, acidosis for example?

I expect better from you, Oga Frosbel.

You are clearly on the wrong side in this particular instance.
Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by helpee(m): 10:11pm On Dec 01, 2012
Nigerians will never see the issue as it is. If u are blaming the doctors and the hospital, this problem will always occur and it can be anybody. Private hospitals don't just wake up to start collecting deposits. I have operated several people without deposit and they will never pay afterwards. The only time u can get money is when the issue is still hot...the moment u finish treating them, they will not pay and if you don't allow them to go they will call u wicked. For ur information, I started my hospital with a bank loan, I pay exhorbitant fees from lawma to nepa to ministry not to talk of staff, drugs, equpments, consumables. I have patients yet I was accumulating debts cos I don't collect deposit. Medicine is not charity. It cost a lot of money to save lives. Ask people that travel abroad for medicare, they pay in millions. We only get to hear of cases like this once it has happened but the ones the doctor did without collecting deposit and who eventually didn't pay none of u will hear. Until nigerians start to be reasonable and faithful, if I know that after treating you you will pay my bills why won't I do so? Assuming this hospital treated that woman without deposit and she still ends up dying, they may not pay again. So who bear the cost of the money spent. As long as nigerians assume that health is charity and doctors should work for free we will continue to travel out before we get good medicare

6 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by ziccoit: 10:12pm On Dec 01, 2012
The story is incomplete until the health workers in that hospital explain their side of the story.

2 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by Fr0sbel: 10:14pm On Dec 01, 2012
helpee: Nigerians will never see the issue as it is. If u are blaming the doctors and the hospital, this problem will always occur and it can be anybody. Private hospitals don't just wake up to start collecting deposits. I have operated several people without deposit and they will never pay afterwards. The only time u can get money is when the issue is still hot...the moment u finish treating them, they will not pay and if you don't allow them to go they will call u wicked. For ur information, I started my hospital with a bank loan, I pay exhorbitant fees from lawma to nepa to ministry not to talk of staff, drugs, equpments, consumables. I have patients yet I was accumulating debts cos I don't collect deposit. Medicine is not charity. It cost a lot of money to save lives. Ask people that travel abroad for medicare, they pay in millions. We only get to hear of cases like this once it has happened but the ones the doctor did without collecting deposit and who eventually didn't pay none of u will hear. Until nigerians start to be reasonable and faithful, if I know that after treating you you will pay my bills why won't I do so? Assuming this hospital treated that woman without deposit and she still ends up dying, they may not pay again. So who bear the cost of the money spent. As long as nigerians assume that health is charity and doctors should work for free we will continue to travel out before we get good medicare

You are still not getting the point.

The point is not about general treatment but a matter of life and death.

In ALL cases , when a life is under threat of destruction, it is the doctor's responsibility to save that life, because that life is irreplaceable and in many cases could actually be the sole bread winner not just for the immediate family but the extended.

Like I said , to hammer the point home, a life MUST be saved whenever the opportunity arises.

2 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by Nobody: 10:17pm On Dec 01, 2012
Fr0sbel:

In ALL cases , when a life is under threat of destruction, it is the doctor's responsibility to save that life, because that life is irreplaceable and in many cases could actually be the sole bread winner not just for the immediate family but the extended.

Like I said , to hammer the point home, a life MUST be saved whenever the opportunity arises.

A life MUST be saved? And who are you to decide that? Are you a doctor? Should one keep saving lives to the detriment of one's wellbeing?
Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by andyanders: 10:18pm On Dec 01, 2012
In fact, I swore not t marry a nurse or a medical female doctor because of what I witnessed in a general hospital. They do not have conscience at all. I had a nurse I had wanted to marry, I ran for my dear life because I still see them as people when provoked can poison someone and will not think twice.

I went to a hospital to see someone and I saw a woman been detained with a new born baby cos they could not pay a balance of their bill of N4,800. The nurse was telling the woman and her husband that unless they pay the money that they cannot be released and they will not be given any drugs.

I told the nurse that I want to see the MD of the hospital. She took me to the MD and he confirmed that they had an outstanding bill of N4,800. and that they must pay before they can be released. I called the nurse and gave them the money and also went to a nearby store and bought provision for the woman and still gave them cash to go home.

So, I think most medical practioners here in Nigeria, got an attitude and to me, it is wickedness.
Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by Nobody: 10:19pm On Dec 01, 2012
musKeeto:
A life MUST be saved? And who are you to decide that? Are you a doctor? Should one keep saving lives to the detriment of one's wellbeing?

Yes , I will save a life every time, all the time.

Maybe we have two different mentalities, in the UK life is valued more than Money , unlike Nigeria where Money is more highly valued than life.

2 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by Chedarking: 10:20pm On Dec 01, 2012
I cannot fault the hospital for refusing this woman treatment - It is a PRIVATE hospital run first and foremost as a business...

The doctor is in a lose-lose situation - If he treated her and she refused to pay afterwards...he loses, when he doesnt treat her and she dies - he is seen as a bastard.

Its a real shame but that is the reality on ground in our disgusting country- It is a jungle where only the strong and/or rich survive...
Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by Nobody: 10:21pm On Dec 01, 2012
Chedarking: I cannot fault the hospital for refusing this woman treatment - It is a PRIVATE hospital run first and foremost as a business...

The doctor is in a lose-lose situation - If he treated her and she refused to pay afterwards...he loses, when he doesnt treat her and she dies - he is seen as a bastard.

Its a real shame but that is the reality on ground in our disgusting country- It is a jungle where only the strong and/or rich survive...

What a useless, backward and daft excuse for the loss of 2 precious lives.

20k was all that stood between this woman with her baby and death.

SMH.
Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by kay9(m): 10:21pm On Dec 01, 2012
musKeeto:
An act is deemed right or wrong by the motive, not the consequence. Was the hospital's motive to get their money or kill a lady?

I realize this discussion is purely academic but i'll humor you all the same.

Bro, MOTIVE is an abstract concept. An armed robber's motive could be to finance his education; try explaining that to the police. What counts is the ACT. What defines us all is the ACTION we take, what we DO. WHY we do it may serve to better explain the action, but it doesn't in ANY way make it RIGHT.

So like i asked chiswaggs, was the clinic's action RIGHT?
Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by Nobody: 10:21pm On Dec 01, 2012
Fr0sbel:

Sir, you're not being logical I'm sorry to say. Doctor's are not magicians that treat patients by the whiff of a magical wand. They use tools, drugs, and equipment. These things cost money. They are not free. The only reason why sentiment is attached to this profession is because human life is involved. Would you extend the same sentiment to a lawyer who refuses to defend a client in court because the client can't pay his bills and then the client gets a life imprisonment because he wasn't defended adequately.

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by coogar: 10:22pm On Dec 01, 2012
acidosis™:

Why not open your own charity a.k.a hospital, alongside a mini-kirikiri for detainees ??

shut up your mouth, you insensitive obnoxious swine.....
is it too much if the doctor pays from his own pocket? it was an emergency for bleeps' sake - an emergency that concerns life and death of 2 vulnerable people! how do these heartless nigerians sleep at night? the bastards took 5000 from the husband and then allowed the wife and child to die and you dare ask me to do charity? you are a consummate rëtard.....

12 inches!:

Sir, you're not being logical I'm sorry to say. Doctor's are not magicians that treat patients by the whiff of a magical wand. They use tools, drugs, and equipment. These things cost money. They are not free. The only reason why sentiment is attached to this profession is because human life is involved. Would you extend the same sentiment to a lawyer who refuses to defend a client in court because the client can't pay his bills and then the client gets a life imprisonment because he wasn't defended adequately.

and it is because of that single important factor the woman should have received medical care. now you make a daft analogy with a man that cannot defend himself in court because he couldn't hire competent lawyers.......so your level of intelligence is equating the death of a woman/child to a criminal that got sent to prison? i would like to see your educational certificates, biko.....
Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:22pm On Dec 01, 2012
Very sad tale.

Well I went through the same thing May 31st this year. I lost my Identical twin brother because the doctor refused treating him in the Early hours of the morning, around 4.am.

He said we must deposit N50,000. I was with N20,000 at the hospital, it was an emergency and I begged for them to hold the N20,000. When the bank opens, I will get the balance but they refused.

By the time day break, I watched my twin brother and best friend pass out in my arms and lost his life. It is sad because I have to live that day everyday for the rest of my life. When my brother died a close friend of ours said. If this doctor knew the kind of person he let die, he will never live with himself. My brother was a good man and was actively into charity. He vowed to spend the rest of his life helping the poor and the needy.

Please I pray God gives your family the strength to bear the loss. A lot of the doctors in the country are evil.
cry

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by otokx(m): 10:23pm On Dec 01, 2012
A life cannot be saved when they are no resources, any man who decides to marry and pregnant a woman should make provision for her treatment in case of emergency.
Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by Chedarking: 10:24pm On Dec 01, 2012
frosbel:

Yes , I will save a life every time, all the time.

Maybe we have two different mentalities, in the UK life is valued more than Money , unlike Nigeria where Money is more highly valued than life.

Ahhh but in the UK, healthcare viz a viz the NHS is PAID FOR by the tax-payers....

Private hospitals can treat emergency cases on credit because the A: Law works - and the Law can get their pay for them and, B:They pay a lot of insurance

Dont ever compare the Nigerian healthcare system to the UK's

3 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by Iaz93: 10:25pm On Dec 01, 2012
Damn! SMH
Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by otokx(m): 10:25pm On Dec 01, 2012
coogar:

shut up your mouth, you insensitive obnoxious swine.....
is it too much if the doctor pays from his own pocket? it was an emergency for bleeps' sake - an emergency that concerns life and death of 2 vulnerable people! how do these heartless nigerians sleep at night? the bastards took 5000 from the husband and then allowed the wife and child to die and you dare ask me to do charity? you are a consummate rëtard.....

and it is because of that single important factor the woman should have received medical care.

pay from his pocket that he is father christmas shey?

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by ecna: 10:26pm On Dec 01, 2012
The purulent material issuing out of the brains of most of the posters on this thread has reinforced my already low opinion of the majority of Nigerian youth. The are mostly shallow, emotional and incapable of in depth thinking.

What exactly do you want a doctor to do? Does going to a Med school automatically place other people's financial problems on your neck?
The Hosp is just like any SME in this country struggling to survive and yet mo.rons like frosbel expect them to just suddenly be in position to dole out freebies. Tell me how do you think that'l happen? The hospital pays for disel to run its gen,its not given free or subsidised, pays for rent, pays tax, pays for security,pays its staff etc, wen the month ends and your wife the nurse is not paid after having attended to thousands of patients pro bono, what will you say? Oh let's not pay our children school fees cos we r helping humanity?

6 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by MacLovington(m): 10:26pm On Dec 01, 2012
salafiyy: WICKED COUNTRY WITH WICKED PEOPLE,ESPECIALLY THE PEOPLE FROM THE SOUTH-EAST AND SOUTH-SOUTH...MAY GOD FORGIVE US ALL

So you mean all those Boko Haram guys from the North are very kind-hearted people?

Instead of people to focus on the general moral decay and increasing loss of those things (empathy, civility, being brother's keeper, human feelings etc) that make us humans in Nigeria, somebody is popping up here with bigotry. Who told you that the staff on duty that day did not come from Western or Northern Nigeria?

Sad.

People should know that this is a common thing in Nigeria. Even Buhari's daughter died just days ago. Maternal mortality rate is high.
What she had was most likely pre-eclampsia: she complained of headache, abdominal pain................and possibly visual problems, high BP (causing headache), Proteinuria, clonus. And usually in first pregnancy and can be recurrent.
The state has failed it's citizens and there's little private hospitals (essentially business) can do.

We need a state/federal health service. Private sector should be strictly regulated and not all-comers including quacks as it is now.
Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by kay9(m): 10:27pm On Dec 01, 2012
thegoodjoehunt: Very sad tale.

Well I went through the same thing May 31st this year. I lost my Identical twin brother because the doctor refused treating him in the Early hours of the morning, around 4.am.

He said we must deposit N50,000. I was with N20,000 at the hospital, it was an emergency and I begged for them to hold the N20,000. When the bank opens, I will get the balance but they refused.

By the time day break, I watched my twin brother and best friend pass out in my arms and lost his life. It is sad because I have to live that day everyday for the rest of my life. When my brother died a close friend of ours said. If this doctor knew the kind of person he let die, he will never live with himself. My brother was a good man and was actively into charity. He vowed to spend the rest of his life helping the poor and the needy.

Please I pray God gives your family the strength to bear the loss. A lot of the doctors in the country are evil.
cry

So sad...

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by Nobody: 10:28pm On Dec 01, 2012

cry

sorry to hear this sad story.

This is exactly what is wrong with our system, heartless to the core.

2 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by otokx(m): 10:28pm On Dec 01, 2012

cry

my condolences and sympathy, every Nigerian though should have a hospital/clinic that he is registered with and is nearby so in cases of emergency they can treat without asking for money knowing the credit worthiness of the patient involved.

3 Likes

Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by Nobody: 10:28pm On Dec 01, 2012
kay9:

I realize this discussion is purely academic but i'll humor you all the same.

Bro, MOTIVE is an abstract concept. An armed robber's motive could be to finance his education; try explaining that to the police. What counts is the ACT. What defines us all is the ACTION we take, what we DO. WHY we do it may serve to better explain the action, but it doesn't in ANY way make it RIGHT.

So like i asked chiswaggs, was the clinic's action RIGHT?
His motive was to finance his education? Lols.. His motive was to gain at someone else's expense. Simple.

When a solider kills an enemy, is it still murder? What counts is the motive.. Even lawyers try to find a motive in criminal cases. What defines us is the Actions we take. Our MOTIVES, what we hope to achieve determines our Actions. So our motives still remain ultimate. So like u should have asked: what was the hospital's motive?

Pls humor me.. cheesy
Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by collins123(m): 10:28pm On Dec 01, 2012
What if a gay had provided the 20,000?

Would you, yes you..., still murder him?
Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by Nobody: 10:29pm On Dec 01, 2012
ecna: The purulent material issuing out of the brains of most of the posters on this thread has reinforced my already low opinion of the majority of Nigerian youth. The are mostly shallow, emotional and incapable of in depth thinking.

What exactly do you want a doctor to do? Does going to a Med school automatically place other people's financial problems on your neck?
The Hosp is just like any SME in this country struggling to survive and yet mo.rons like frosbel expect them to just suddenly be in position to dole out freebies. Tell me how do you think that'l happen? The hospital pays for disel to run its gen,its not given free or subsidised, pays for rent, pays tax, pays for security,pays its staff etc, wen the month ends and your wife the nurse is not paid after having attended to thousands of patients pro bono, what will you say? Oh let's not pay our children school fees cos we r helping humanity?

20k for the loss of 2 lives undecided , what utterly shallow thinking .
Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by izipee: 10:29pm On Dec 01, 2012
otokx:

pls sir otokx. I tried reachn u on tat uniport side bt it ddnt wrk. . .i fild my eligibility form widout my jamb details cuz sm1 tld me itz ryt since i got my admsn tru basic. . .hw cn i re-fill it? Pls hlp
Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by coogar: 10:30pm On Dec 01, 2012
otokx:

so N20,000 is father christmas to a qualifed doctor?
he cannot spare 20,000 to save a life and then take his money later? he cannot ask for collateral to secure his money? you are so insensitive - may the same incident befall your wife while you are locked in prison!
Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by taharqa: 10:31pm On Dec 01, 2012
musKeeto:

This is a shallow, narrow-minded 'logic' or shall I say, philosophy....
Re: Pregnant Woman Dies In Port-harcourt Hospital Because Of Deposit by Nobody: 10:32pm On Dec 01, 2012
This is Sad sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Nigeria Has Less Than 500 Ventilators For Coronavirus Patients - Punch Newspaper / Lagos State Opens New Cardiac & Renal Centre (CRC) Gbagada Lagos. PICS. / 10 Bad Habits That Can Seriously Damage You Brain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.