Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,232 members, 7,953,882 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:08 AM

Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School (10798 Views)

Teaching In Ph,interview On Tuesday / Sound And Competent Teachers For Part-time Teaching In Lekki / Vacancy exist in a Private School In Ikotun, Alimosho LGA, Lagos State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Nobody: 4:03pm On Dec 04, 2012
I do wonder at times if the rate of unemployment nowadays is as much that of our fathers and grandfathers in those days.I am now 30years of age and not yet settled down because of financial constraint.I am planning to start teaching in secondary schools as from next year after spending three years without any meaninful job after my NYSC.All i do is marketing with their meeting of target palavas.What i am thinking of now is that,can teaching in a private school earn you enough money for marriage and settling down as a family?

1 Like

Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by assalaamat(m): 10:18am On Dec 05, 2012
my brother,settling down is not by anyone's power,it's by the grace of almighty god.you can definitely settle down with teaching job,all u need do is to make sure u get someone that will understand u,and pls do not rely on that teaching job,do it for a while until u're able to save some money to start a biz of ur own.mind u,i'm jobless too and i too can teach very well,if u can link me up to any secondary school i would appreciate it,thanks and bye for now.

6 Likes

Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Nobody: 10:55am On Dec 05, 2012
assalaamat: my brother,settling down is not by anyone's power,it's by the grace of almighty god.you can definitely settle down with teaching job,all u need do is to make sure u get someone that will understand u,and pls do not rely on that teaching job,do it for a while until u're able to save some money to start a biz of ur own.mind u,i'm jobless too and i too can teach very well,if u can link me up to any secondary school i would appreciate it,thanks and bye for now.
thanks for the response bro
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Nobody: 11:18am On Dec 05, 2012
if you can't settle down, you settle up now. undecided
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by zayhal(f): 11:20am On Dec 05, 2012
Depends on several factors: the standard of living you want for yourself, the kind of private school you want to teach (some pay well, some don't), how well you plan your spending etc. These factors must be considered to answer your question.

2 Likes

Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by 3direct: 11:21am On Dec 05, 2012
grin grin
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by femolala1: 11:25am On Dec 05, 2012
YOU CAN DEFINITELY SETTLE DOWN WITH ANY MEANINGFUL JOB INCLUDING TEACHING. ALL YOU NEED IS TO CUT YOUR COAT ACCORDING TO YOUR MATERIALS. YOU WILL BE SURPRISE THAT YOU WILL LIVE A BETTER LIFE THAN SOME BANKERS. TRUST IN GOD.

2 Likes

Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by deshclones(m): 11:26am On Dec 05, 2012
Nwoke n'ife...truly to Be a man is not a day'a job...God help you man!

2 Likes

Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Abyjah: 11:27am On Dec 05, 2012
It is God that settles. It is not in the course, type of job, background et more. But the grace of God brings one's chance at the right time.

Hear what Jesus said concerning this through His beloved David:
It is vain for you to rise up early, sit up late and 'still not be settled'.
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Nobody: 11:28am On Dec 05, 2012
If you want to teach, and you read a biology-related course, send me a pm. A school I know has been advertising since october. I can send you the address and the details.

1 Like

Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Nobody: 11:31am On Dec 05, 2012
Depends on where you live and the type of private school.
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Adagba1: 11:37am On Dec 05, 2012
O.T.I.S:
There is time for everything,some body is discussing serious matters of his life and you are here joking,na wa for some people o

7 Likes

Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Nobody: 11:42am On Dec 05, 2012
Adagba1: There is time for everything,some body is discussing serious matters of his life and you are here joking,na wa for some people o

Officer sorry!!
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by chux4liv(m): 11:46am On Dec 05, 2012
Yes.. You can settle down with teaching.. But ur standard of living will be on average. One good thing about teaching is that u hv ample time for urself. They hv loads of holidays and with private lesson u are okay.. u can"t leave a bouyant life like ur counterpart in bank and telecomm secto.
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by jimino(m): 11:48am On Dec 05, 2012
my bro, it depends on d pay. jst give it a try. 4 me i tried it bt it didnt wrk 4 me because d pay ws 2 slim nd insufficient.
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Mcfemad(m): 11:49am On Dec 05, 2012
Teebest82: I do wonder at times if the rate of unemployment nowadays is as much that of our fathers and grandfathers in those days.I am now 30years of age and not yet settled down because of financial constraint.I am planning to start teaching in secondary schools as from next year after spending three years without any meaninful job after my NYSC.All i do is marketing with their meeting of target palavas.What i am thinking of now is that,can teaching in a private school earn you enough money for marriage and settling down as a family?

What's your qualification and discipline, sir ?
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by pappy2000: 11:53am On Dec 05, 2012
@ Op I love your courage but I will strong advice you to do something else with your life.Teaching is a very myopoc job and you will see your dream fade away if you settle for teaching n couple with the indignity in the profession,the parent and the owner of the school sees you as nobody and you can beat a child even when the child is clearly wrong couple with the fact that the private school owners sees the school from pure biz perspective.You won't understand all this until you enter into the trade n before you know it you will be counting years in the job,Its better u hawk on the road thanteaching unless you get some good international school which pay well and even at that teaching does not broaden your horizon

8 Likes

Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Thekeeper(m): 12:04pm On Dec 05, 2012
mollytinrox: If you want to teach, and you read a biology-related course, send me a pm. A school I know has been advertising since october. I can send you the address and the details.
i'm a graduate of microbiology.pls send me the details of the school
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Tunjman(m): 12:20pm On Dec 05, 2012
mollytinrox: If you want to teach, and you read a biology-related course, send me a pm. A school I know has been advertising since october. I can send you the address and the details.

Please, let me have your email addy.

Thanx.
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by luckgood(m): 12:25pm On Dec 05, 2012
MY GUY. IF THE PAY IS 20K P/M,FORGET SETTLING DOWN AND MAKE EFFORT IN SETTLING UP cool
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by peterugoobi(m): 12:25pm On Dec 05, 2012
My broda, l too am jobless, that why l've resulted to comming to nairaland a lot, just have focus it can be rough, get a masters here in nigeria then go to canada an do your phd, then your life can turn around when the grant you citizenship. That my lan, some one promised me minstry job next year, which am waiting for, once l get it l start, how ever small. Takia
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by chakula: 12:30pm On Dec 05, 2012
Half bake is better than none. Appreciate the little you are earning you will end up having more and put in plan whatever you are doing life will continue and your dream will come true in the future.
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by luckgood(m): 12:30pm On Dec 05, 2012
pappy2000: @ Op I love your courage but I will strong advice you to do something else with your life.Teaching is a very myopIc job and you will see your dream fade away if you settle for teaching n couple with the indignity in the profession,the parent and the owner of the school sees you as nobody and you can beat a child even when the child is clearly wrong couple with the fact that the private school owners sees the school from pure biz perspective.You won't understand all this until you enter into the trade n before you know it you will be counting years in the job,Its better u hawk on the road than teaching unless you get some good international school which pay well and even at that teaching does not broaden your horizon

ON POINT

3 Likes

Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Nobody: 12:32pm On Dec 05, 2012
O.T.I.S:

Can't you feel for these guys Maybe you got a bank job once you graduated and can't understand what they are passing through. This is one major problem of Nigerians, once their levels change, they forget their roots.

@ poster, start with the teaching job and conduct private lessons for children with rich parents, that way you could increase your earnings. Work towards starting up a business after 2yrs of teaching. Engage in marathon savings and escheew spending on frivolities. Start a yeilding business after the 2yrs of teaching. Engage in a fast moving line so you can fetch yourself at least 2-5k daily. Could be anything from a food kitchen, selling building tools/materials, barbing saloon. E.t.c. Study the environment before choosing a business to do.

Many businesses could be started with as little as N200,000.

3 Likes

Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Nobody: 12:38pm On Dec 05, 2012
Mcfemad:

What's your qualification and discipline, sir ?
HND in civil engineering
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by free2ryhme: 12:40pm On Dec 05, 2012
it now depends on the kind of private school you are teaching... Private school get levels shey u know
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by alkadriyar(m): 12:52pm On Dec 05, 2012
Well, it all depends on your personal contentment.
Success they say is a matter of view point. The optimist sees the bottle as half full, while the pesimist sees the bottle as half empty. Good luck.[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Mckayzee(m): 12:58pm On Dec 05, 2012
Hmmm....these are the kind of stuffs that already scares the shyte out of us just entering the labor market.. God help us.. How can one spend like five years in school and after the whole time, u have no choice than to go back teaching in a sec school AGAINST ur will and ur DREAMS. I feel for u op..GOD help u :-(
Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Nobody: 12:58pm On Dec 05, 2012
Teebest82: HND in civil engineering
HND in civil engineering? Please do not teach. It won't help your career at all.
1. Somebody already spoke extensively why you shouldn't teach. It will narrow you down.
2. It will be extremely difficult to save for business if you decide to teach. You probably be living from hand to mouth, let alone save N200,000 in 2 years as someone suggested.
3. With an HND in civil engrg, it shouldn't be too hard for you to get a construction or consultancy job in the building industry. Forget the pay. Get the experience. Think of a PGD. At 30 years of age, you can still achieve a lot. I know civil engrs that started with 20k/ month and now earn reasonably.
4. Get links and make effort to know people. Civil engrg jobs is about knowing people. Start by attending NSE and NICE meetings (professional bodies). You can also think of safety by taking NISP HSE courses.
5. Develop yourself in engrg matters and seek advice around. Teaching should be a NO NO for you. N.B. I was once in similar shoes. Taught for only 2 weeks but had to resign because it was interferring my chances of going for interviews in various coys. That's what teaching in a private school can do. It will limit you.
Cheers!!!

3 Likes

Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by Epiphany(m): 1:22pm On Dec 05, 2012
Wow, anytime I read threads like this, my heart goes out to people who have spent years in school only to come out and start looking for jobs. One of the most painful things that one can go through is to have your dreams shattered because you cannot do what you want to do. When we end up settling for the next best or the only available thing, dreams start to fade away, little by little.

Anyway, back to the subject. I attended a private school some 20 years ago. One thing I noticed about that school is that a lot of the teachers that got jobs there, never stayed beyond 5 - 10 years. What they did was that while they were teaching, they enrolled in the nearest 'good' university to pursue their MSc's and even PhD's. Once they got these degrees, they were off to lecture in the universities and some even got jobs in the private sector. Some others got together (maybe about 3 - 5) and started their own schools and creche's and educational institutions.

The thing you should do really is to take the teaching job for now. If it is or was never your dream to teach, hold on to whatever dream you have and give yourself the next, say 5 - 10 years to pursue whatever you initially wanted to do. Yes you can get married or settle down, but that means you must, or should share your dream with your spouse so that she can also align with it. Maybe she has her own dreams too, dreams which you both can manage together. This may mean that you delay having kids for now or even if you do, maybe have only one for now. Dude, you are 30. you can still make things happen for yourself so that by the time you get to 40, you are nearer your goal than you are now.

Dont give up or resign to teaching if it is not what you want to do. Some people have made suggestions. When you are teaching, you can engage in a few extra classes. If you are in a private school, that may mean that you are teaching kids from middle to upper backgrounds. Be a good teacher, enjoy what you do. Rub off positively on the kids and you will go far. I have heard of teachers becoming close to families of the students. You never really know where your next break will come from!

Just be positive and have a dream and pursue it.

2 Likes

Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by lolaluv1(f): 1:24pm On Dec 05, 2012
Op.
I do feel your pain.
The only place teaching will pay off is in the North.
Private schools in Kano pay reasonably well, and Yola too. Standard of living is quite cheap too.
If not for the Nigerian situation, I would have asked you to look into a possible relocation.

In Abuja, you need a PGDE in Education in addition to your degree to earn reasonable cash. But then, the money is barely adequate due to the high cost of living.

Have you looked into learning a skill? Guys are making serious cash off making ladies' hair and nails.

A trio of brothers did the hair and nails of the bridal train at my friend's wedding and the amount they carted home was more than some people's salaries!

If you're good with your mouth, please walk into the FM nearest to you and audition.
If you're good with business, think of what to sell. Think of a need that you can proffer solution to.

Even as you do all this, look neat and attractive in well coordinated colours. Be cheerful in all you do, be active at your place of worship. Seek to improve your diction, your reasoning. And you will get to nirvana sooner than later.

Please do not despise little beginnings and keep your dreams in view.
All the best!

12 Likes

Re: Can One Settle Down With Teaching In A Private School by 3direct: 1:36pm On Dec 05, 2012
Teaching!?... Naaaa, not advisable

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Environmental Development And Family Health Organization Recruitment (5 Position / Navy Recruitment 2017: Screening Begins On Friday [timetable, Requirements] / Lagos Opens Centres To Fight Unemployment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.