Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,678 members, 7,955,505 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:46 AM

"None Of The Above" Option For Voters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "None Of The Above" Option For Voters (685 Views)

INEC Should Put "None Of The Above" Option On Ballot Papers / Public Holidays For Voters Registration? / Inec Wants ₦55b For Voters Register (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"None Of The Above" Option For Voters by Standing5(m): 7:45pm On Dec 04, 2012
Yes! you guys heard me right. A "None Of The Above" option for elections in Nigeria as a way of checkmating the fraudulent diversion of votes that characterized the April 2011 polls.
We all witnessed how voters registration was encouraged en mass during the last voters registration exercise (to the extent of machineries going from state to state just for registering more voter profile) and how the slots of undecided registered voters was diverted to the favor of certain parties. I want to propose a None-Of-The-Above Option in view of this sharp practice being perpetrated by most power-hungry crooks. Let voters have the option of casting their votes for no party in particular, i believe this will help exposes the true level of dissatisfaction of the masses towards the ruling class as well as reduce the level of ethnic bigotry we see in display. If the level of dissatisfaction is too high, let there be a re-run election involving new candidates. All these along with solid reforms in INEC i believe will go along was in helping Nigerians see through their subconscious emotions, mostly negative ones and make better choices politically.
Re: "None Of The Above" Option For Voters by takedat(m): 10:22pm On Dec 04, 2012
I do not think it conforms with universal electoral practices. Citizens can decide not to exercise their voting right if they are dissatisfied with the arrangement on ground, undecided voters can also abstain from the polls. Me think one of the biggest problems for now affecting our electoral system is Voters Apathy so having a "None of the Above" option on ballot papers will not really be the solution for electoral malpractices or to express dissatisfaction since most people are uninterested but I can reckon with you that if the total vote cast isn't up to a certain percentage of registered voters due to voters apathy and dissatisfaction with the whole process, a re-run should be called for.
I'll prefer a clause for Independent candidacy inserted in the existing electoral act.
Re: "None Of The Above" Option For Voters by ektbear: 12:06am On Dec 05, 2012
eh....
Re: "None Of The Above" Option For Voters by Nobody: 12:07am On Dec 05, 2012
ekt_bear: eh....

go vote tongue tongue
Re: "None Of The Above" Option For Voters by ektbear: 12:09am On Dec 05, 2012
wink grin
Re: "None Of The Above" Option For Voters by Standing5(m): 6:35pm On Dec 05, 2012
take dat: I do not think it conforms with universal electoral practices. Citizens can decide not to exercise their voting right if they are dissatisfied with the arrangement on ground, undecided voters can also abstain from the polls.
And i don't think there is any hard and fast rule to how election exercise is should be conducted. Voters really do abstain from elections but in Nigeria it is seen as free votes to be flipped in favor of one party or the other for some fast bucks.
Me think one of the biggest problems for now affecting our electoral system is Voters Apathy so having a "None of the Above" option on ballot papers will not really be the solution for electoral malpractices or to express dissatisfaction since most people are uninterested but I can reckon with you that if the total vote cast isn't up to a certain percentage of registered voters due to voters apathy and dissatisfaction with the whole process, a re-run should be called for.
I'll prefer a clause for Independent candidacy inserted in the existing electoral act.
By the time the election is over the main damage has already been done. I am trying to see how it can be checked so parties in collaboration with crooks don't hijack what they perceive as free votes.
Re: "None Of The Above" Option For Voters by Standing5(m): 6:35am On Dec 11, 2012
Registration is your right but diversion of your vote without your consent isn't right. "None of The Above" option or not?
Re: "None Of The Above" Option For Voters by Standing5(m): 11:13am On Mar 12, 2013
2015 is drawing closer NairaLand, i await your responses. None of the Above or Not.

(1) (Reply)

Azazi, Yakowa, Okonjo - What a week! / FG Invests N5trn In2,500mw Power / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.