Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? (2553 Views)

Higher Education And The Female Child / Old Couple In Wedding Attire / My Mother, My Wife: Who Comes First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by MyVicky: 5:58am On Dec 05, 2012
I have been thinking about it and I seem not to be getting the answer. please, why do we always have the bride's name first before the groom's name in every wedding events; I mean why do we always have 'Victoria(bride) weds Victor(groom)' instead of Victor weds Victoria and so on?
Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by Afam4eva(m): 6:14am On Dec 05, 2012
The wedding is for the bride and not the groom. Left for men they will wed in court.
Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by Nobody: 7:28am On Dec 05, 2012
Its bcoz the bride agreed to marry the groom,so dats hw is suppose to be.

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by Nobody: 8:23am On Dec 05, 2012
Its because its d girl dats marrying d boy
Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by chidyke77(m): 1:01pm On Dec 05, 2012
ceewai lebi: Its-because-its-d-girl-dats-marrying-d-boy
ok, why d pic?
Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by MyVicky: 10:55pm On Dec 05, 2012
Wed or Marry means : to take in marriage, to perform the marriage ceremonies for (two people); join in wedlock, to give in marriage; arrange the marriage of (often followed by off ), to unite intimately, to take as an intimate life partner by a formal exchange of promises in the manner of a traditional marriage ceremony.

I'm still trying to look for a definition that says the bride marries the groom? I wouldn't know if it is just a traditional way of doing it or just fulfilling righteousness.
Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Dec 09, 2012
chidyke77: ok, why d pic?
:I neva knew i needed ur permission to post whateva i wanna angry
Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by MyVicky: 7:56pm On Dec 12, 2012
ceewai lebi: :Daddy-i-neva-knew-i-needed-ur-permission-to-post-whateva-i-wanna angry
Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by yamakuza: 1:38am On Dec 18, 2012
ladies first !

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by greatgod2012(f): 9:07am On Dec 18, 2012
I think its because it is d lady that will leave his father' name to bear that of d husband's, couple with d fact that it is d lady that is married.
Igbe-iyawo= igbeyawo= marriage. So d honour goes to d lady first.
Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by MyVicky: 6:18am On Feb 25, 2013
yamakuza:
ladies first !
Ladies first always!

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by Nobody: 9:40am On Feb 25, 2013
Cos,the woman agrees to marry the man,TY will you marry me,pls?
Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by MyVicky: 4:07pm On Feb 26, 2013
Yomieluv: Cos,the woman agrees to marry the man,TY will you marry me,pls?
How about instances where the man agrees to marry the lady?
Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by MyVicky: 8:48pm On Feb 27, 2013
yamakuza:
ladies first !
Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by MyVicky: 1:21am On Mar 02, 2013
chidyke77: ok, why d pic?
Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by MyVicky: 5:48am On May 24, 2013
greatgod2012: I think its because it is d lady that will leave his father' name to bear that of d husband's, couple with d fact that it is d lady that is married.
Igbe-iyawo= igbeyawo= marriage. So d honour goes to d lady first.
Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by jeffizy(m): 8:23am On May 24, 2013
Actually, that is just a form of honor for the bride.

It is so because that is the last time she will bear her maiden name.
And also because after that, her name will always come after her husband's.
Example, MR and Mrs uju Pataki. grin grin
Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by tinuolababy(f): 8:47am On May 24, 2013
The Lady is the one accepting the man's proposal.
Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by juman(m): 9:39am On May 24, 2013
It's considered as norms. The other way round is not bad.
Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by MyVicky: 6:45pm On May 24, 2013
jeffizy: Actually, that is just a form of honor for the bride.

It is so because that is the last time she will bear her maiden name.
And also because after that, her name will always come after her husband's.
Example, MR and Mrs uju Pataki. grin grin
Really?
Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by MyVicky: 3:35am On May 25, 2013
tinuolababy: The Lady is the one accepting the man's proposal.
How about when the man accepts the lady's proposal?
Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by MyVicky: 8:47pm On May 27, 2013
juman: It's considered as norms. The other way round is not bad.
I like the other way round for no apparent reason
Re: Why Does The Female's Name Comes First In Wedding Banns? by sammyademola: 2:28am On Aug 10, 2013
My Vicky: I have been thinking about it and I seem not to be getting the answer. please, why do we always have the bride's name first before the groom's name in every wedding events; I mean why do we always have 'Victoria(bride) weds Victor(groom)' instead of Victor weds Victoria and so on?
That's the world

(1) (Reply)

Would You Run A Joint Purse With Your Spouse? / The Warri Beer Parlor**(who You Help?)**Come In Anytime!!! / She Finished The "Easter Chicken" Leaving The Legs And Head For The Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.