Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,462 members, 7,816,085 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

Higher Education And The Female Child - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Higher Education And The Female Child (38542 Views)

Over Protectiveness Of The Female Child / 5 Masculine Chores I Did As A Female Child. / MALE Or FEMALE Child: Who Is More Expensive To Raise? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Higher Education And The Female Child by safarigirl(f): 4:47pm On Mar 01, 2015
I'm writing this article strictly out of necessity. Not only is this based on the experiences of others, but also on personal experience

I want to start by posting a known fact. It's not by force to have a child, neither is it necessary to send your child to a higher institution, ESPECIALLY a girl child

See ehn, make una forget anything, the truth and the koko of the matter, forgetting all these yeye posts on NL is that most girls go into the University WITH ONLY their PARENTS as their source of finances. There is no money bag somewhere that provides money for us. Na only us waka come

There is a popular saying that when you're in 100 level, money comes in steady, as you progress it becomes less frequent and reduces in amount, by the time you're in your final year, if you even see 1k alert from your family, na to shoki reach ATM.

Many students especially those in government institutions can testify to this fact.....but I digress. It has come to my knowledge that most parents do not pay as much attention to their daughters in higher institution as they do their sons, because the female child is perceived as the 'understanding' one, who is supposed to 'persevere' because she's a 'nurturer'....that is by far the biggest load of BS ever peddled by the male folk (yes, na boys cause am angry)

All those bad belle brothers wey dey like shorten their sisters' monthly allowance on top tales of one (imaginary) boyfriend that is sending her regular money, just know that your village people have already pounded the yam that they'll use and lick soup ontop your head angry.

If not for the fear of God that some girls have, obatala knows that the amount of runs girls that would've been in this country for don reach to rival the entire Cape Verde's population. Not every girl has a business she's doing in school and we all can't combine business with schooling. Why then should parents transfer their burden to one small boy that made the error of toasting their daughter? Boy wey still dey collect money from house go come dey feed your daughter for school on your behalf, unto wetin?

Even if there is a boyfriend, is it his job to provide food, clothes and hair product from your daughter? If he provides all of that, what is her consideration in such a contract? And by consideration, I mean, her sacrifice. You want your daughter to leave school and immediately marry, but you allow her look unkempt while in school and starve thinking she has a guy that does it all, like say the guy follow una conceive.

Please, if you have a daughter in school, do well as a parent to see to her needs, even the petty ones, don't wait for memos from your child before you know your job. The tertiary instituion is hard enough, but peer pressure is a b*tch and not every child is understanding and persevering. Shame on a child is shame on his/her parents too, so nothing like 'shebi na she get herself?'...na una get her

I'm sorry I wasn't able to pass across my message in what some may term a 'civil' manner, but some things gats come in pidgin for the message to make sense smiley.

I'm not hitting at parents who try their best, I'm hitting at those who don't try at all and expect 'understanding'. Thanks for reading

118 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by SirShymexx: 5:17pm On Mar 01, 2015
Safarigirl,

Let me bless ya thread with what the ghost of Malcolm X said:

"in every country you go to, usually the degree of progress can never be separated from the woman. If you’re in a country that’s progressive, the woman is progressive. If you’re in a country that reflects the consciousness toward the importance of education, it’s because the woman is aware of the importance of education.

But in every backward country you’ll find the women are backward, and in every country where education is not stressed it’s because the women don’t have education. So one of the things I became thoroughly convinced of in my recent travels is the importance of giving freedom to the women, giving her education, and giving her the incentive to get out there and put the same spirit and understanding in her children. And I am frankly proud of the contributions that our women have made in the struggle for freedom and I’m one person who’s for giving them all the leeway possible because they’ve made a greater contribution than many of us men.
"

Malcolm X - El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz - 1925 to 1965. R.I.P the great one.

41 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by Nobody: 6:30pm On Mar 01, 2015
i don't understand - it is the other way - daughters in uni get more money than sons for those exact reasons - unless this is a how do you call - class thing.

35 Likes

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by safarigirl(f): 6:48pm On Mar 01, 2015
oyb:
i don't understand - it is the other way - daughters in uni get more money than sons for those exact reasons - unless this is a how do you call - class thing.
if it's a class thing, then it only affects low class and middle class (upper and lower middle class)
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by Nobody: 7:21pm On Mar 01, 2015
safarigirl:
if it's a class thing, then it only affects low class and middle class (upper and lower middle class)

i grew up middle/upper middle class and i can say for certain that none of the chicks i knew or my sister for that matter faced this issue of the son getting more money. if anything, it was probably the other way,

27 Likes

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by safarigirl(f): 10:16pm On Mar 01, 2015
oyb:

i grew up middle/upper middle class and i can say for certain that none of the chicks i knew or my sister for that matter faced this issue of the son getting more money. if anything, it was probably the other way,
it's not just the son getting more money, it's the daughter having to draft 12 pages of an application letter to get money for petty stuff like hair and all

You may be different, but many girls have to go through unnecessary hassles for 'basic girl stuff'

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by ebosse(m): 10:08am On Mar 02, 2015
Actually, this isn't true.( Speaking from personal experience).. Back then My Fam would always say to me a guy will always survive with little or nothing but a girl would be force to do things ( Mostly indecent ) to survive. Funny enough they were/are right.

21 Likes

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by pickabeau1: 11:52am On Mar 02, 2015
LOL....

In my experience female wards get more monies than their male siblings

You better calibrate or is this just a thread for thread's sake undecided

21 Likes

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by freecocoa(f): 12:23pm On Mar 02, 2015
I watched my elder sister come home most weekends from the university, to demand for money, she taught me the trick of coming unannounced, because your demands would be met faster than when you called on the phone, my brother(her twin) was placed on a monthly allowance and somehow, he managed to stick to that, except on very few occasions when he had to call and gave detailed/reasonable explanation of what he needed the money for, and whenever he complained of the girls getting all the love, he was always reminded that our needs are much higher than his, with my mum listing some of the things a girl needs, he never won the argument so he stopped complaining.

The girls always and I mean always got more money in my house, because my parents knew we had to buy clothes, make hair, make up, cream and other girly things. Same with most girls I know, tbh, I'm surprised at this your article.

65 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by Nobody: 12:26pm On Mar 02, 2015
undecided

OP YOUR ARTICLE REEKS OF PURE IGNORANCE AND SIMPLY SHOWS HOW LAZY AND DEMANDING NIGERIAN GIRLS OF THIS GENERATION ARE undecided

BEEN A RUNS GIRLS IS A CHOICE EVERY GIRL HAS TO MAKE DUE TO PEER PRESSURE IN SCHOOL. WE HAVE SEEN GIRLS FROM WEALTHY HOMES WITH REASONABLE POCKET MONEY DO RUNS. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PARENTS.

ALL YOU NIGERIAN GIRLS ARE WAYWARD AND MATERIALISTIC IN NATURE. YOU ARE ALL PROMISCUOUS AND MENTALLY LAZY TO THINK OF A LITTLE BUSINESS TO START UP IN SCHOOL.

INSTEAD YOU NIGERIAN GIRLS SEE RUNS AS A EASY WAY OUT AND YOU START JUMPING FROM DICK TO DICK ALL IN THE NAME OF MAKING A LIVING.

THIS IS WHY I DECIDED TO MARRY A FOREIGN LADY.

#TEAM FOREIGN GIRLS cool

42 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by AJOT99(m): 12:26pm On Mar 02, 2015
Hmm......

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by Guyman02: 12:28pm On Mar 02, 2015
The problem is that even when parents do provide the basic needs for their daughters in the university, the girls are more easily moved by peer pressure and the urge to 'belong' when compared to their sons, while the boys can use their sweet tongues and constant unsubstantiated claims of 'my popsy' has just been appointed as an ambassador to Canada to maintain their stay in the social class, it is different for the girls who think they must show it physically in the type of clothes and shoes worn outside and then the temptation to become a 'runs girl' to meet up with whatever boast they make sets in.
Dont blame it all on the parents not giving them enough as a woman's needs are historically insatiable.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by Nobody: 12:28pm On Mar 02, 2015
Simple physics of the mind. Girls are wavy so refraction 'll occur when they pass from one medium(house) to another medium(school) , there is a definite change in the wavelength and direction of their mind.. IF you lyk send dem all the money, the runs gyal will still be runs gyal

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by Nobody: 12:28pm On Mar 02, 2015
Itz an individual thing,even some of em from wealthy home indulge in the act.

4 Likes

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by Allureoftheseas(m): 12:28pm On Mar 02, 2015
blame it on poverty

2 Likes

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by leke12(m): 12:29pm On Mar 02, 2015
You are talking about university wey many secondary girls dey du olosho nw! I fear for this up coming generation

4 Likes

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by jamael(m): 12:29pm On Mar 02, 2015
True very true
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by html14java(f): 12:29pm On Mar 02, 2015
Let me read. I will comment later
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by Meringe(m): 12:29pm On Mar 02, 2015
When I was in school, it were the babes that u obviously know are from rich family that misbehaves a lot.

It's not about the money. I know poor girls that respects themselves with the little the have.

Runs girl always want to be noticed in the ivy league of happening peeps.

Morally upright girl will never change cos she lacks money.

Lack of money is a lazy excuse for sexual immorality.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by Babaneh(m): 12:29pm On Mar 02, 2015
you better settle all her bills if u dont want the topic to be linked to her career....
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by brownlord: 12:30pm On Mar 02, 2015
The money I spent on helping girls ( girl friends ) sought out their academic problems in school is enough to set up business that will employ them after graduation.

2 Likes

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by tosyne2much(m): 12:30pm On Mar 02, 2015
Observing frm my coconut tree cool
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by money121(m): 12:30pm On Mar 02, 2015
grin grin grin
Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by RiffRaff: 12:30pm On Mar 02, 2015
thank u for this beautiful thread... Poor people should neva ever procreate...

3 Likes

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by bosun11(m): 12:31pm On Mar 02, 2015
U made your point , most parents should try as much as possible to take care of their females more than the males as they advance from 100 level to the final year so they wont go astray and look for other negative meals to take care of themselves.

2 Likes

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by bonechamberlain(m): 12:31pm On Mar 02, 2015
ok..... i believe parents should spend more on a girl child than the boys when they are in higher institutions, basically because a guy can cope with the social pressure but girls easily fall for what they see or watch.. they see brazillian hair and they want it, they see kim kardashian shoes, they want it, the annoying part is that most of what girls buy are only worn once or twice and they dump it.. the conclusion is GREED and the quest for girls in higher institutions to keep up with the Joneses is higher than the guys.. gratias

4 Likes

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by meforyou1(m): 12:31pm On Mar 02, 2015
university girls are runs girls by nature, not circumstance

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Higher Education And The Female Child by nairalandbuzz(m): 12:31pm On Mar 02, 2015
Read and Understood.

OP, I just got married last year and my wife asked me last month saying... that I attended a top UK University and at the end didn't marry a girl that did same or someone in my cadre like a Nigerian University Graduate but I just laughed and then explained to her what you just described... ...

I stand to be corrected but I told her that I dont trust them... Most of them are runs girls cos I also attended Yaba Tech and I hear UNILAG girls stories cos they are so close to us like lips and nose.

There are exceptions, which I dont want to delve into but the bad ones don paint the good ones bad and they all look greyish to everyone.

I would prefer a lady that did OND or just Advanced Levels, work and then do part time school studies... To me, they are more material than those in full time school that have gone greyed.

When I was in YABATECH, I dated a lady and at the end of the courtship, she mentioned the conditions that pushed her into dating in school and most especially someone like me.

1. I was brilliant and I pass without reading cos while in lecture room, I seem to grab everything and don't need to read so I can devote my time to teach her the more. [This she got cos I had enough time to teach her thereby knowing it more myself cos i love programming and calculations... even for exam revisions, she does not give me any breathing space to read but only to teach her, which is at no expense for me]
2. I was the class governor and so, she has upper hand with the lecturers. [Lecturers will even call me to see her paper (ODO) before being marked lol funny right? and Dating the governor made some other lecturers excuse dating her for me]
3. Funds. [I gave it to her cos money NEVER [always] came on time from Ijebu and I should be there to support]

She got full package and she got the best deal.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Dad Gave N3m To His Boss' Wife To Buy Vehicle For Him, Now He's Dead / Man Dumps His Blind Wife In Port Harcourt, Packs Out Of His Home With Housemaid / Maid Who Savagely Beat Ugandan Toddler To Face Attempted Murder Charge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.