Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,479 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant (13241 Views)

10 Things Nigerians Are Doing Better Than Other Africans / Nigerians Are Eating, Charging Laptops, Making Calls Inside Trains (photo) / Do You Think Nigerians Don't Take Enough Vacations? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by Idekeson(m): 4:07pm On Apr 23, 2006
Most Africans View Nigerians As Arrogant

Are we to be blamed or is it their lack of understanding of our character as proud people, despite the common shortcomings we all share as Africans.

I've come across a lot of Africans that didn't have a lot of nice things to say about Nigerians. Not to mention some African discussion forums I've visited. The intensity they attack issues related to Nigerians often amaze me. Share your thoughts.
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by glamrocka(f): 4:49pm On Apr 23, 2006
Hmm

well i am sorry to say it is true, alot of nigerians are arrogant , like u said other africans do not always have nice things to say about Nigerians. I too have been on other african forums and yes i have seen what you talk about. My feeling is Nigerians tend to over analyse things, take for instance this forum, PPl post unrelated replies to threads, and become an expert on every issue known to man.

Dont get me wrong i love Nigerians and there are so many wicked characteristics that i love and share, but sometimes Nigerians dont know when to shut up . I went to Ghana for a friends wedding and the difference was so clear, they strive to achieve excellency and do not shout too loud about it, watch out ppl i feel Ghana is going to astound all soon.While Nigerians are comfortable with all things mediocre and pls let no one cry its the state of the country, please it starts with each one and ppl get the leaders they deserve. When i talk of mediocrity, i am talking for example, the media, music and entertainment in general, but this never stops the ppl from shouting from the highest place claiming to be the best in Africa, the best at what exactly? being brash? gaining a degree and claiming to be the best in africa.lol

I am telling it as it is guys so lets be real, the sooner ppl stopped being arrogant, obnoxious and over the top , then the sooner, ppl with intergrity, class, respect for ppl of all status and country will shine through, and maybe then we can affect change and stop settling .

I for one only respect ppl worthy of it, ppl who dont necessarily have all the wealth but have tried to bring change in our minds. I hate the likes of Dele momdu(arrogant) who uses a talent in media to parade the crooks,thieves and tyrants in our country in his magazines and yet many are dying, then Nigerians will be the first to say the foriegn media paints a bad picture of the country.I'll leave it here cause i have a headache now. i might come back to vet some more undecided

P.S
I love the ppl so much but why cant all be honest for a change
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by vichel(m): 4:59pm On Apr 23, 2006
U think Nigerians are arrogant because they speak out against injustice melted to them, and appreciate greatly whatever little feat they achieve. Nigerians are positive thinkers are as such we gonna move billions of years ahead when all other African countries are still wallowing in debates about Nigeria and its people, instead of focusing on their own short comings
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by igwe4life(m): 6:01pm On Apr 23, 2006
Make una no mind them, them dey jealous us.
Na becos say we plenty, so there are bound to be more Geniuses, Stars and even crooks amongst us than amongst them.

Naija 4 Ever
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by chinani(f): 8:02pm On Apr 23, 2006
A person, country, or culture can always learn from criticism but I do think that what is said about Nigerians can be applied to others.
Ethiopians no dey arrogant? Ghanaians? People from the Gambia or Senegal? You should see how South Africans behave. They think they invented Africa. Yes, the critique can be spread around. We can all learn & grow.
But whenever your name is in ppl's mouth, someone's gonna hate. Vichel & Igwe4life ain't lying.

1 Like

Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by Zahymaka(m): 4:25am On Apr 24, 2006
Thums up chinani -- must you always be right?
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by chinani(f): 4:29am On Apr 24, 2006
smiley
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by mustafar1: 4:42am On Apr 24, 2006
met someone two days ago. she asked, "where y'all from" i answered WE NIGERIAN. she gonn reply me, "I HATE NIGERIANS" my response to her GOOD FOR U! with the thot of i cant force u to like me running thru my mind
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by liberia(f): 12:38am On Mar 22, 2007
i told you guys but you wouldn't listen.
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by Free(f): 12:49am On Mar 22, 2007
hmmmmm

no commnt lipsrsealed
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by smile4kenn(m): 5:12am On Mar 22, 2007
Yeah, i must tell u the truth. Nigerians are very arrogant. so many of other african girls doesnt wanna have anything to do with the nigerian guys in my school here. Nigeria guys alot extend there confab stuff abroad.
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by Nobody: 5:31am On Mar 22, 2007
is any nigerian bothered?
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by Jakumo(m): 6:56am On Mar 22, 2007
The arrogance and haughtiness of the Nigerian character is passed from one generation to the next in the form of "good upbringing", whereby children of Nigerian parents are taught to kneel or prostrate flat on the ground in greeting before their parents every morning, and are seriously discouraged from expressing any opinions that differ from those of their "all knowing" parents.     Failure to adopt that meek and submissive demeanor in the presence of authority figures is punished with brutal beatings both in the home and then at school where severe caning and mild forms of physical torture are applied with the full approval of most parents to ensure that dissent, curiosity and original thought are repressed with sadistic violence.   Poor grades in Nigerian schools are more often than not traceable to the absolute terror with which most students view their classroom teachers, and which serves as a powerful deterrent to asking questions, no matter how relevant and potentially informative the answers to those questions might prove.

"Greeting" with the right amount of "respect" is a VERY BIG DEAL to most Nigerians, and few Nigerian's will respond to a stranger asking for directions unless that stranger  has remembered to precede that inquiry with a stuffy and very formal  "good morning, sir/ madam".    This "greeting" requirement is particularly important if the person being addressed happens to perceive themself as being of high social standing, i.e an African BIG MAN or CASH MADAM who will fly into a consuming rage if not "properly" greeted with the right amount of grovelling and whimpering.

India's caste system is probably the only social setting on earth which is more consumed with that obsession over social standing than Nigeria, so it is no coincidence that many non-westernized Indians can be as vain and comically pompous as Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by adconline(m): 7:44am On Mar 22, 2007
It depends on what you meant by arrogance. One thing is very certain of average Nigerian. I will not let use boss me around. I had a Kenyan friend who always called Nigerians arrogant , until I told him that their EX President- Arap Moi could not rule Nigeria past 8 years. I told him they were weak and afraid to confront him and he ruled them for 20 some years. Look at what is happening in Zimbabwe; nobody is ready to challenge Mugabe’s authority. Nigerians will never let you boss them. We will always be the first to speak out. This could be construed as arrogance.

1 Like

Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by Jakumo(m): 8:27am On Mar 22, 2007
ADC there is a very clear distinction between brave opposition to dictatorial rule in any society on one hand, and pompous self-importance at a personal and social interactive level on the other hand.

Unless I am mistaken, the person who began this thread was more concerned with the PERSONAL conduct of individual Nigerians worldwide than about the activities of pro-democracy groups within Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by EssexBoy: 1:31pm On Mar 22, 2007
This is true. alot of people from ghana and sierra leone and west indians say this.
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by omoge(f): 4:55pm On Mar 22, 2007
when you don't allow them to boss you around, they say you are arrogant lipsrsealed
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by adconline(m): 5:21pm On Mar 22, 2007
We are arrogant because of our courage and frankness.
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by LoverBwoy(m): 5:47pm On Mar 22, 2007
adconline:

It depends on what you meant by arrogance. One thing is very certain of average Nigerian. I will not let use boss me around. I had a Kenyan friend who always called Nigerians arrogant , until I told him that their EX President- Arap Moi could not rule Nigeria past 8 years. I told him they were weak and afraid to confront him and he ruled them for 20 some years. Look at what is happening in Zimbabwe; nobody is ready to challenge Mugabe’s authority. Nigerians will never let you boss them. We will always be the first to speak out. This could be construed as arrogance.

erm IBB wasnt kicked out by the people, Abacha would probably still be there or passed on the touch to another dictator if not for death, more unfair elections to come. . .

yea, thats the typical response
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by adconline(m): 5:53pm On Mar 22, 2007
Even IBB admitted that he was presurised to step down. Dont even try to compare our struggle. Nigeria stopped in 1993 because of MKO. Lagos was desserted. Abacha was killed, may you need to read Soyinka's Memoir- You Must Set Forth at Dawn. Soyinka was in contact with Isreali agents that were responsible for Abacha's securiry gadgets. Can you compare IBB's 8 years with 20 years?

I tell you a story of how an East African who was a bank teller treated a friend of mine. My friend pulled up to cash a cheque , this lady noticed that he was a nigerian, asked him to come into the bank and my friend did, all of a sudden cops were all over the place- SHE CAUGHT A NIGERIAN FRAUDSTER-  teller told her manager that Nigerians were scammers that they should thoroughly check him out. My friends sells cars and  sold one  that day. So this created a big scenario at the bank.
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by superman(m): 5:40pm On Mar 23, 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: adconline on Yesterday at 07:44:29 AM

erm IBB wasnt kicked out by the people, Abacha would probably still be there or passed on the touch to another dictator if not for death, more unfair elections to come. . .

yea, thats the typical response

u are on ur own!
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by rookie(m): 9:21pm On Mar 23, 2007
--even though, I have always disagreed with the notion that Nigerians are Arrogant, especially coming from fellow Africans (I feel a lot Africans that have strong contempt for Nigerians are simply envious)

However, I hate to agree with this notion, but arrogance (perhaps overly high self esteem) has been largely accepted and tolerated within the Nigerian society. What do you expect when you find yourself growing up and having house-helps, drivers, people give you more respect soon as they find out that you are either rich or from a wealthy home. More than likely, you will consider yourself to be more privileged and consequently more important than any less privileged around you.

This has led to increase in corruption and hunt for sudden wealth. An average Nigerian wants to be rich simply to oppress others or better still, take a revenge on other less privileged just as he or she had been once oppressed.

Now, if you go to a different society such as US. Most Nigerian will easily be perceived as arrogant.

Although, these characteristics are found in other societies and they are common with non-Nigerians as well, I am more concerned about Nigeria since I am one.

These days I take such criticism to be constructive, and not just discarding it simply because I think it sounds offensive or derogatory
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by superman(m): 10:05pm On Mar 23, 2007
nonesense
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by 9ja4eva: 5:55am On Mar 24, 2007
Dts nt true pls.We were voted most lively people on planet earth.
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by Ndipe(m): 7:14am On Mar 24, 2007
I wouldnt say we are arrogant, but perhaps, exude an aura of confidence in ourselves that may come off as arrogance.
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by 9ja4eva: 9:43am On Mar 24, 2007
Why shouldnt we be confident?Wateva jare we are who we are.
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by adconline(m): 8:00pm On Mar 24, 2007
if you accept the allegation that Nigerians are arrogant; why dont you accept the fact that Nigerians are scammers,oil barons,corrupt and fraudsters. The very fact that a Nigerian is bad does not make a greater perecntage of Nigerians bad. From my personal exprience, these non-Nigerians will be the first to tell you so many misconceptions about Nigeria and they feel that you represent those misconceptions. A Somali had the courage to tell me that Nigerians are scammers even though his "country" if any has not had any government in the last 18 yrs. See Ugandans calling Nigerians all sorts of names even though HIV/AID prevalent in the country is very high. Most Nigerians dont tongue lash these folks, they will be the first to tell us of our evil. The reason is that average Nigerian knows that their country is heading in a wrong direction and very critical of the way things are going, but these folks do not in most cases talk about how bad things are in their countries.

Another misconception is that most of them watch a lot of Nollywood movies, so they think that what they see in movies is how Nigerians really act.

1 Like

Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by Nobody: 9:30pm On Mar 24, 2007
Nigerians don't take nonsense.
It is not arrogance
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by 9ja4eva: 10:10pm On Mar 24, 2007
Right word jare
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by Nobody: 8:28pm On Mar 29, 2007
no be our fault say we be nigerians, other africans see us as arrogant because we no dey gree make dem match us anyhow,
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by 9ja4eva: 2:56am On Apr 01, 2007
Another point oh.
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by Maneater1(f): 12:42pm On Apr 04, 2007
@ topic, thats because we actually are arrogant.

we are a very proud nation and i think its the same with the Americans. they are very arrogant and feel they rule the world.

Nigeria might not be the most beautiful country in africa and might have alot of corrupt leadrers but i've heard someone say before that Nigeria is the USA of africa. i.e, the leading country in africa.

And its true.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Passengers Disrupt Arik’s Services At Lagos Airport / Five Die As Trailer Crashes Into Commercial Bus In Edo / Indonesia Gives Nigeria Free Visa.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.