Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,193 members, 7,818,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant (13243 Views)

10 Things Nigerians Are Doing Better Than Other Africans / Nigerians Are Eating, Charging Laptops, Making Calls Inside Trains (photo) / Do You Think Nigerians Don't Take Enough Vacations? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by 9ja4eva: 9:08am On Apr 05, 2007
Yeah i really do think we are the leading Country in Africa bt most people think its South Africa.
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by LASIEFAIRE(m): 10:09pm On Apr 14, 2008
Believe me I love Nigeria
but what makes us the leading Nation in Africa. the fact that we dont have electricity, a corrupt government, or a political system that we still havent grasped, maybe the security we enjoy from the ever reliable police, and the standard of living too. Nigerians love titles not achievements. We need to get our head in the game, make moves be the leading nation not just self proclaim.

to Topic at hand, Personally i wouldnt say arrogant per se, but Nigerians are individualistic. We need to embrace the culture and team work exhibited by the Japanese - who believe in the achievement of the community rather than that of an individual.

1 Like

Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by babycool(f): 5:15pm On Apr 19, 2008
I will like to call a spade a spade, Nigerians are indeed arrogant, our expressions are brash, we easily get offended, we are egoistic and a sensitive people, i think it's all got to do with the harsh weather, the way we some of us were brought up and hard economic conditions, however we are friendly, smart and very hospitable people.
grin
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by lucabrasi(m): 6:39pm On Apr 19, 2008
babycool:

I will like to call a spade a spade, Nigerians are indeed arrogant, our expressions are brash, we easily get offended, we are egoistic and a sensitive people, i think it's all got to do with the harsh weather, the way we some of us were brought up and hard economic conditions, however we are friendly, smart and very hospitable people.
grin

you v summed the whole thread up, totally agree
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by Richguys: 10:20am On Sep 10, 2008
10 Characteristics of a Typical Nigeria

1. Very friendly
2. very Smart [Others call it 419]
3. Can adapt to any situation [even hell]
4. Very sensetive [ Obama Campaign fund Raising grin]
5. Always optimistic [Naija go better ]
6. Hard working [ Go to lagos to confirm this lipsrsealed]
7. Hate Cheating [others call this arrogant]
8. As a Nigerian you must know how to praise yourself [others call this arrogant]
9. We don't care about what people say about us [others call this arrogant]
10. We always want to lead [ others call this arrogant]

General advice.
Hey my fellow african brothers
instead of you complaining abt Nigeria, Try and be like Nigeria. Take advantage of every situation., Never behave like
South Africans-----------Who will beat and kill their fellow Africans
Ghana---------------------Who always complain and pray against thier fellow African Even in Sports.
Zimbabwe----------------Who are not bold enough to dismiss their president like we did to IBB Or Poison Abacha, Disgrace obasanjo, Even Yar adua is beign spear from spiritual battle.
Sudan--------------------Who always fight against one another and leave the person concern

List are endless brothers.
Support Nigeria in the quest to rule the world in every area of life.

Political----------------------------Vision 2020
Spiritual---------------------------We have the most number of churches in the world and also perform the best miracle.
Criminal--------------------------- lipsrsealed
e.t.c

1 Like

Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by blackspade(m): 3:22am On Sep 11, 2008
9ja4eva:

Yeah i really do think we are the leading Country in Africa bt most people think its South Africa.
South Africa IS the leading country in Africa.
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by damiso(f): 1:48pm On Sep 11, 2008
I do actually think we come across arrogant and tend to over analyse.Although this can be defended by saying we are self confident sometimes we are just borderline oversabi
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by Ebonyj(f): 2:03pm On Sep 11, 2008
Na inferiority complex dey worry any person that thinks say Naijas are arrogant. I went to Paris recently and met some Senegalese, they were very polite and friendly at first the minute I told them I was Nigerian, their attitude changed, they said they did not like Nigerians because Nigerians are:
a- Arrogant
b- Wicked
c- something in French can;t remember
I just told them to jugde people as individuals  and bid them farewell.

So really Yes there are Nigerians who are arrogant, so also are those who are crooks, and  there also you will find those who are absolutely down to earth , intelligent and honest.

People should learn to jugde others as individuals and not by where they come from, or the colour of their skin, or the language they speak or the religion they practise.
Anyway enough tori.
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by Nobody: 4:00am On Sep 15, 2008
Nigeria is the leading country in Africa, not South Africa. Blackspade is wrong.

Technological development alone does not determine who the ''leading nation'' is or else Japan would be the ''leading country on earth'', and we know it isn't.

Nigerians are self-confident and possibly 'arrogant' but there's nothing wrong with that. We need more Africans to be that way rather than falling sheepishly around whites and so on, while badmouthing their fellow Africans.

The same Africans talking rubbish, you will never hear them moan about the arrogance of the Americans or the French. In their colonised mindsets, it is ok for whites to be ''arrogant''. Blacks must be  ''humble''.

Nonsense.
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by mikedanza(m): 11:09am On Sep 18, 2008
Can you all kindly read thru the tread above and run a conclusion? Nigerians can be, and are arrogant, and unnecessarily so. They do not take corrections easily, and help your soul if they have just a little money! Them go so intimidTE U! (Even if the wealth was not sustainable) sEVERAL TIMES i WALK INTO SITUATIONS WERE PEOPLE THAT WERE ACTUALLY MY SUBORDINATES (without knowing) IN THE WORK PLACE SPEAK HIGH WORDS, THROW A LITTLE MONEY AROUND AND EVEN TRY TO ORDER ME AROUND BECAUSE OF MY SMALL BOY LOOKS. IT'S ONLY WHEN I SPEAK THAT THE DICTION SLANTS THEM OFF GUARD, OR I TELL THEM WHO I ACTUALLY AM THAT THEY BEGIN TO APOLOGISE AND SAY 'YES SIR'. I'VE sat IN THE SAME MBA CLASS WITH AMERICANS, INDIANS, EUROPEANS AND OTHER AFRICANS. THEY (EUROPEANS AND AMERICANS ESPECIALLY) ARE USUALLY CALM, UNASSUMING AND ONLY TALK ABOUT THEIR EXPERIENCIES ONLY ON A NEED TO KNOW BASIS. BUT NAIJA MAN, JUST CROSS HIM A LITTLE AND THE FIRST THING YOU WILL HEAR IS 'DO U KNOW ME, DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? AND WHEN U FIND OUT HE IS JUST ONE BLOODY NON ENTITY, EVEN SOME LEGISLATORS ARE NOT CLEAN. (I KNOW OF A HOUSE OF REP GUY WHO WAS ALMOST A DROP OUT (HE SPENt LIKE 3 EXTRa YEARS IN THE UNIVERSITY!), HE WAS INTO SUG (I WAS INTO SUG TOO, BUT WITH PANACHE, NOT THE MONEY SHARING TYPE) THE LAST TIME I SAW HIM ON CAMPUS HE WAS DANCING TO GYRATIONS FROM A KeGITE -LIKE MIXER IN FRONT OF ONE OF THE MALE HOSTELS. A YOUNG GENTLEMAN WAS WALKING past WITH A PETITE LADY, THIS HONORABLE (RIF RAT THEN, ) SAID, 'WHY U DEY WAKA WITH THIS SMALL GIRL NOW, IF PEOPLE SEE YOU NOW THEM GO SAY NA CHILD ABUSE, BUT NO BE YOUR FAULT SHA, BECAUSE IF YOU LEAVE AM NOW THEM GO SAY NA CHILD NEGLECT, ! SO YOU CAN IMAGINE HOW SHOCKED I WAS WHEN THEY SAID DI, OH! DID I MENTION HIS NAME, WAS NOW AN HONORABLE MEMBER OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC, SO FROM LEADERSHIP TO FOLLOWERSHIP IT'. , ISKANCI' Another deposed honorable from the same state who ran for governorship and lost was so broke that he wanted to sell one of his houses to my office just to maintain his false life style, sometimes they borrow from banks and never pay back. Today A YOUnG UNDERGRADUATE OR EVEN CEMENT MOULDER will tell you he is praying to be in a position he can hammer, so how do you expect us to be great, respected or progressive? When we are looking for ways, legitimate or otherwise to enrich ourselves. Most black prostitutes in major developed countries are Nigerians, so what is it that we need to feel great about. One day I went clubbing at York Hotel in Diera, Dubai. The party was called white night. I was one of the very very few blacks there. So you can imagine how cool i was feeling when all those white chicks were angling for me (i don't know where they got the story line from, but they believe blacks are 'extra-ordinary in bed' and i was not about to discourage that myth!). After feeling so cool and displaying inside i just went outside for some fresh air and lo and behold, plenty Naija chikcs were lined up in the street hawking sex! I was so mad, them just pierce the inflated 'bolon-bolo' wey i carry come from upstairs! Though i'm sure of one thing, Nigeria cannot continue to stagnate, cohesive or corrosive development (of people, capacities and capabilities) must occur! Stand up to be differentiated or phase out!
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by delejames(m): 12:18pm On Sep 18, 2008
mikedanza:

Can you all kindly read through the tread above and run a conclusion? Nigerians can be, and are arrogant, and unnecessarily so. They do not take corrections easily, and help your soul if they have just a little money! Them go so intimidTE You! (Even if the wealth was not sustainable) sEVERAL TIMES i WALK INTO SITUATIONS WERE PEOPLE THAT WERE ACTUALLY MY SUBORDINATES (without knowing) IN THE WORK PLACE SPEAK HIGH WORDS, THROW A LITTLE MONEY AROUND AND EVEN TRY TO ORDER ME AROUND BECAUSE OF MY SMALL BOY LOOKS. IT'S ONLY WHEN I SPEAK THAT THE DICTION SLANTS THEM OFF GUARD, OR I TELL THEM WHO I ACTUALLY AM THAT THEY BEGIN TO APOLOGISE AND SAY 'YES SIR'. I'VE sat IN THE SAME MBA CLASS WITH AMERICANS, INDIANS, EUROPEANS AND OTHER AFRICANS. THEY (EUROPEANS AND AMERICANS ESPECIALLY) ARE USUALLY CALM, UNASSUMING AND ONLY TALK ABOUT THEIR EXPERIENCIES ONLY ON A NEED TO KNOW BASIS. BUT NAIJA MAN, JUST CROSS HIM A LITTLE AND THE FIRST THING YOU WILL HEAR IS 'DO You KNOW ME, DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? AND WHEN You FIND OUT HE IS JUST ONE BLOODY NON ENTITY, EVEN SOME LEGISLATORS ARE NOT CLEAN. (I KNOW OF A HOUSE OF REP GUY WHO WAS ALMOST A DROP OUT (HE SPENt LIKE 3 EXTRa YEARS IN THE UNIVERSITY!), HE WAS INTO SUG (I WAS INTO SUG TOO, BUT WITH PANACHE, NOT THE MONEY SHARING TYPE) THE LAST TIME I SAW HIM ON CAMPUS HE WAS DANCING TO GYRATIONS FROM A KeGITE -LIKE MIXER IN FRONT OF ONE OF THE MALE HOSTELS. A YOUNG GENTLEMAN WAS WALKING past WITH A PETITE LADY, THIS HONORABLE (RIF RAT THEN, ) SAID, 'WHY You DEY WAKA WITH THIS SMALL GIRL NOW, IF PEOPLE SEE YOU NOW THEM GO SAY NA CHILD ABUSE, BUT NO BE YOUR FAULT SHA, BECAUSE IF YOU LEAVE AM NOW THEM GO SAY NA CHILD NEGLECT, ! SO YOU CAN IMAGINE HOW SHOCKED I WAS WHEN THEY SAID DI, OH! DID I MENTION HIS NAME, WAS NOW AN HONORABLE MEMBER OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC, SO FROM LEADERSHIP TO FOLLOWERSHIP IT'. , ISKANCI' Another deposed honorable from the same state who ran for governorship and lost was so broke that he wanted to sell one of his houses to my office just to maintain his false life style, sometimes they borrow from banks and never pay back. Today A YOUnG UNDERGRADUATE OR EVEN CEMENT MOULDER will tell you he is praying to be in a position he can hammer, so how do you expect us to be great, respected or progressive? When we are looking for ways, legitimate or otherwise to enrich ourselves. Most black prostitutes in major developed countries are Nigerians, so what is it that we need to feel great about. One day I went clubbing at York Hotel in Diera, Dubai. The party was called white night. I was one of the very very few blacks there. So you can imagine how cool i was feeling when all those white chicks were angling for me (i don't know where they got the story line from, but they believe blacks are 'extra-ordinary in bed' and i was not about to discourage that myth!). After feeling so cool and displaying inside i just went outside for some fresh air and lo and behold, plenty Naija chikcs were lined up in the street hawking sex! I was so mad, them just pierce the inflated 'bolon-bolo' wey i carry come from upstairs! Though i'm sure of one thing, Nigeria cannot continue to stagnate, cohesive or corrosive development (of people, capacities and capabilities) must occur! Stand up to be differentiated or phase out!

Hush!!! my eyes are aching shocked
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by MyPeace(f): 2:04pm On Sep 18, 2008
no bi only u my brother, my eyes nearly drop reading that EPISTLE.

But why we no go dey pose! grin and l learnt we have the most pretty babes and guys in town hahahaha grin cheesy
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by A40(m): 11:55pm On Sep 18, 2008
To an extent we are and we can be pretty selfish too!!I have compared us to some of our African brothers especially the likes of the Senegalese Zimbabweans etc they are more united and they care for each other compared to us
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by shotster50(m): 11:56pm On Oct 03, 2008
I believe We Nigerians have this smug superior attitude over everybody else. We think we are the only one who have gone through socieconomic hardship,        It is  exactly the same thing in the caribbean were Jamaicans regard other Carribeans ( Barbados, T&T, etc) as 'smallies' meaning small islands. Believe me, theres huge animosities betweeen them,  We seem to have that big island mentality because we are the biggest black nation, have a huge amount of oil deposits, we have a lot of stinking rich people and beacuse we  seem to be creative with money.

1 Like

Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by KParker: 9:22pm On Mar 06, 2009
shotster50:

I believe We Nigerians have this smug superior attitude over everybody else. We think we are the only one who have gone through socieconomic hardship, It is exactly the same thing in the caribbean were Jamaicans regard other Carribeans ( Barbados, T&T, etc) as 'smallies' meaning small islands. Believe me, theres huge animosities betweeen them, We seem to have that big island mentality because we are the biggest black nation, have a huge amount of oil deposits, we have a lot of stinking rich people and beacuse we seem to be creative with money.

1. Nigerians are not the only people on Earth who have socioeconomic hardship. It exists in every country.
2. You say Nigerians have a lot of stinking rich, yet most people in your country are below poverty. I would say you have a few moderately rich and many poor. The majority of money made in Nigeria goes to oil companies or criminals. Much like my country, when you are poor, you resort to crime and distrust to provide for yourself.

Nigeria is a proud country, but it must learn to understand other cultures if it wants to change it's image. The first step is to look outside yourself and realize you must give respect to recieve it.
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by MrCrackles(m): 9:24pm On Mar 06, 2009
Who gives a flying fuc.k about what other African countries say?!

I have Nigerian blood running in me and i am fucking arrogant!
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by Nobody: 11:21pm On Mar 06, 2009
WHO CARES? grin

YOU HATE ME! THEN YOUR FATHER! cheesy
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by Sammy107d(m): 5:11pm On Mar 07, 2009
KParker:

1. Nigerians are not the only people on Earth who have socioeconomic hardship. It exists in every country.
2. You say Nigerians have a lot of stinking rich, yet most people in your country are below poverty. I would say you have a few moderately rich and many poor. The majority of money made in Nigeria goes to oil companies or criminals. Much like my country, when you are poor, you resort to crime and distrust to provide for yourself.

Nigeria is a proud country, but it must learn to understand other cultures if it wants to change it's image. The first step is to look outside yourself and realize you must give respect to recieve it.

Many stinkingly rich, many moderately rich, an awful lot just break-even, a significant many poor.
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by martho(m): 7:25pm On Mar 07, 2009
Even d americans r afraid of us.An indian man once told me, only d nigerians can equate d americans.if u live in germany u will understand.
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by kennybuda: 4:56pm On Oct 14, 2011
@martho correct and confirm, in europe nigerians do ask for their right when it comes to oyibo intimidation. Other african countrys answer yes sir, yes sir, nah the arogant be that
Re: Most Africans Think Nigerians Are Arrogant by gallivant: 9:31pm On Oct 14, 2011
Hahaha

Most comments on this thread are arrogant and lack logic.I agree,its the fault of other Africans.We are not as educated,proud,peaceful,welcoming,brave,outgoing,opinionated etc.Sorry Nigeria we address  Oyimbos as sir or madam.On behalf of all Africans I apologize.We need to emulate Nigerians more because they are greater Africans. wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Passengers Disrupt Arik’s Services At Lagos Airport / Five Die As Trailer Crashes Into Commercial Bus In Edo / Indonesia Gives Nigeria Free Visa.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.