Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,187 members, 7,811,474 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:33 PM

Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women (11728 Views)

Nigerian Woman In Trouble For Battering Indian Lover (photo) / A Nigerian Man Got Married To His Indian Girlfriend ( Pix Galleries) / Five Deadly Words Used By Women ;D (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by LadyWinona: 6:40pm On Dec 06, 2012
Indian village bans mobile phone use by women
Wed, Dec 05 01:15 AM EST
PATNA, India - (Reuters) - A village council in the eastern Indian state of Bihar has banned the use of mobile phones by women, saying the phones were "debasing the social atmosphere" by leading to elopements - a move that set off outraged protests from activists.

In addition to the ban, the Sunderbari village council in a Muslim-dominated area some 385 kilometers (239 miles) east of Patna, the capital of Bihar, has also imposed a fine of 10,000 rupees ($180) if a girl is caught using a mobile phone on the streets.

Married women would have to pay 2,000 rupees ($36.60).

"It always gives us a lot of embarrassment when someone asks who has eloped this time," said Manuwar Alam, who heads a newly-formed committee tasked with enforcing the ban, referring to queries from neighboring villages.

He said the number of elopements and extramarital love affairs had risen in the past few months, with at least six girls and women fleeing their homes.

"Even married women were deserting their husbands to elope with lovers. That was shameful for us," Alam said. "So, we decided to tackle it firmly. Mobile phones are debasing the social atmosphere".

Local officials have begun investigations, saying that such bans cannot be allowed in a healthy society, while women's rights activists called it an assault on freedom that could potentially end up harming women by stripping them of one source of protection from trouble, such as unwanted advances by men.

"Girls and women are capable enough to protect themselves," said activist Suman Lal during a debate on local television. "Technology is meant to be used, not to be banned...The order is nauseating."

Fellow activist Mohammad Islam said it was "disappointing" that the village council ignored the many advantages of mobile phones before placing a ban on them for one reason.

"I want every girl to be given a mobile phone so that she could call up family members if she has a problem", he said. ($1 = 54.6400 Indian rupees)

(Reporting by New Delhi newsroom, editing by Elaine Lies)
Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by LadyWinona: 6:42pm On Dec 06, 2012
Hmmmm, I guess dt solves it then. The men would then have no one to talk to, sleep with or elope with. Brilliant!!!

1 Like

Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by Nobody: 6:57pm On Dec 06, 2012
what is india?
Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by Nobody: 7:48pm On Dec 06, 2012
The average Nigerian girl couldn't survive there - where will they be without their beloved BlackBerries? grin

2 Likes

Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by Nobody: 8:53pm On Dec 06, 2012
Ok, so what next?
Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by Nobody: 8:54pm On Dec 06, 2012
Na wa o, and when I think Nigeria sucks, India comes in to prove me wrong.
Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by Nobody: 8:54pm On Dec 06, 2012
[size=18pt]In addition to the ban, the Sunderbari village council in a Muslim-dominated area some 385 kilometers (239 miles) east of Patna, the capital of Bihar, has also imposed a fine of 10,000 rupees ($180) if a girl is caught using a mobile phone on the streets. [/size]

' Nuff said!

Not about India but the religion of " peace"

5 Likes

Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by igbojicollins: 8:58pm On Dec 06, 2012
Stone age indeed.Anyi ana agbago agbago ka anyi ana agbada agbada? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by sexyval(f): 8:59pm On Dec 06, 2012
This is crazy , why not ban it totally , or better still ban d men only and d women wud have no one to call ? Mumu people ignoring all d many advantages for an excuse dis stupid ..!

1 Like

Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by HighChief4(m): 9:03pm On Dec 06, 2012
Baby mama:

' Nuff said!

Exactly, what a religion of PEACE indeed

2 Likes

Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by madamebebe(f): 9:03pm On Dec 06, 2012
O.T.I.S:
what is india?

A popular yoruba delicacy!

5 Likes

Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by 50calibre(m): 9:05pm On Dec 06, 2012
Muslims and their endless desire to completely dominate and repress women by all means. What's wrong with this guys?
Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by Lachynos2k2(m): 9:10pm On Dec 06, 2012
O.T.I.S:
what is india?
a country where women no dey use mobile fone

3 Likes

Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by gwas(m): 9:15pm On Dec 06, 2012
This is undiluted madness! How i go come dey call my Indian babe (Rudkish) nah?

3 Likes

Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by NessaFresh(f): 9:17pm On Dec 06, 2012
Please Naija don't ban Blackberry
Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by FKO1(m): 9:18pm On Dec 06, 2012
*yawns* and i thought nigeria sucks !
Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by Wendyslim(f): 9:20pm On Dec 06, 2012
Backwardness kiss undecided undecided kiss
Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by cyril83(m): 9:23pm On Dec 06, 2012
O.T.I.S:
what is india?
india is a country where you can get touch and follow ring for free...you too mumuuuu walahi

1 Like

Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by Alaafialoro(m): 9:23pm On Dec 06, 2012
Baby mama:

' Nuff said!

I thought I was the only who saw that part. Religion of peace indeed,still living in 7th century!

1 Like

Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by Humblesam(m): 9:25pm On Dec 06, 2012
He said the number of elopements and extramarital love affairs had risen in the past few months, with at least six girls and women fleeing their homes.

"Even married women were deserting their husbands to elope with lovers. That was shameful for us," Alam said. "So, we decided to tackle it firmly. Mobile phones are debasing the social atmosphere".
[/quote]

Nawaoo 4 dis Alam of a person. Dis man must be the regional leader of the boko haram association of india.
'Always blaming their tools' set of pooed people. Make una no go learn how 2 sing indian songs so dat u go fit impress una babes,make una de dier de bring failed law when another man wen sabi, de use correct indian song with fyn voice de control una babe,una de de blame handset...

3 Likes

Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by abdulkayus(m): 9:30pm On Dec 06, 2012
Just imagine, dem don start. Abusin religion, dat is where dey knw hw to flex muscle. Even despite dat a fellow muslin activist condemn, dey are blinded wit bigotry.
Chaiii, oma se ooo. U will only giv urself high bp wit ur hatred. Giv us a constructive reply or get out of d kitchen.
CIAO

1 Like

Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by phoneport(m): 9:35pm On Dec 06, 2012
And I was almost planning to open a phone shop in that village.
This Muslim people done spoil show.
Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by Enoquin(f): 9:36pm On Dec 06, 2012
When bluetooth headsets haven't gone extinct. The ladies have got the advantage of long flowing hair...just fix your headset, use your long hair to cover it well...put on your veil and voila! You can still speak with that sweetheart of yours.

But seriously, what if there was an emergency; what then?
Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by TableLeg(m): 9:43pm On Dec 06, 2012
There we go again
Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by Nwoka(m): 9:49pm On Dec 06, 2012
K
Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by Nobody: 9:52pm On Dec 06, 2012
News flash: if u treat ur woman like a queen, cell phone or no cell phone, she won't elope cool

2 Likes

Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by Francheezy(m): 10:02pm On Dec 06, 2012
e!yah...yah, x0 n0 m0re na!raland nd 2g0
Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by Jeff148(m): 10:02pm On Dec 06, 2012
Baby mama:

' Nuff said!

Muslim in quote; now watch the northern Bokozz emulate,wunt be surprise tho grin

1 Like

Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by Youngzedd(m): 10:05pm On Dec 06, 2012
In this 21st century.

No more call TT be that naa.

If this kind of thing happen in Naija, that means no mid-night call, pinging, chatting, 2going, facebooking for ladies, it's gonna be tough.

The protest will be tougher than that of removal of fuel subsidy.

3 Likes

Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by Nobody: 10:06pm On Dec 06, 2012
Imagine this happening in Nigeria, Ladies go die
Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by Clemzy16(m): 10:22pm On Dec 06, 2012
What happened to freedom of communication?! Muslim and their st[u]pid Religion. Mcheeewwwww...

2 Likes

Re: Indian Village Bans Use Of Cellphones By Women by jimino(m): 10:25pm On Dec 06, 2012
2 b frank hw wil dis measure control d situation? Dem no dey flirt abi elope b4 fone come? Dis go only make am worst

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Seven(7) Habits Of Men And Women / Woman Gives Birth To Triplets As 12th Delivery / Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.