Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,723 members, 7,816,975 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:52 PM

Buying A Hard Disk - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Buying A Hard Disk (4420 Views)

7 Important Things You Should Consider Before Buying A Laptop / My Regrets Buying A Window 8 System / Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buying A Hard Disk by adewaleafolabi(m): 5:58pm On Feb 13, 2008
Hard Disk Advise

I have a problem with my hard drive after 3years it has finally packed up although it had been showing signs now its gone. It did put up a good fight.

Anyway i had bought one which didn't last your to nine months (it was bought from a popular store in computer village).

So how do you know a fake drive from a good one. I have to buy a replacement tomorrow. Any ideas?
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by Ralvy(m): 10:30pm On Feb 13, 2008
mehn . . .90% of all those things are fake . . . cry
When I want to buy such things, I talk with the shop attendants properly. .
we discuss and they can say - for original - bring 10k but 4 some othr bullshit, bring 3k .
Just talk with them or request online . .

pay using paypal
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:33pm On Feb 13, 2008
Buy online how many months would that take, am diskless. Today i had to use ubuntu live cd to make those posts. Any ideas
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:45pm On Feb 13, 2008
Buy online how many months would that take, am diskless. Today i had to use ubuntu live cd to make those posts. Any ideas
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by Nobody: 7:50am On Feb 14, 2008
you can try PC outlet - (akin adesola VI or the palms VI)

whatever you do, don't go near Treomy in computer village. bastards sold me a 320gb seagate hard drive that crashed in two weeks.( after i had moved ALL my video files and legacy versions of my application installers angry )
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by Seun(m): 7:58am On Feb 14, 2008
A bad drive will pack up in a few weeks, so you just need a warranty otherwise it's all about luck.
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by Nobody: 8:15am On Feb 14, 2008
warranwetin?

90% of the sellers in nigeria are glorified roadside hawkers. take something back to them( even with a socalled warranty, and they begin to hem and haw. unless you are a guy with craze. . .
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by Seun(m): 8:26am On Feb 14, 2008
I agree. Either you seek out the 10% that are not glorified hawkers or you buy a cheap drive from a well-known brand ( Seagate? Western Digital?) and take your chances. What brand was your old hard disk that crashed?
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by Nobody: 8:47am On Feb 14, 2008
seagate and it cost me 24,000 - 19000 for the drive, 5000 for the case

i then bought a maxtor from pc outlet for n20000, (can u believe it?)

the really big problem is that u can't tell which are the hawkers until the crash angry
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by Seun(m): 8:51am On Feb 14, 2008
How long did the Seagate last? How long did the Maxtor last? Were they external hard disks?

Really, it's not the PC outlet that determines how long your hard disk will last. Provided they don't mishandle the hard disk, it's a matter of luck. That's what the warranty is for. (The hawkers are the ones who don't give you any warranty!)
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by Nobody: 9:01am On Feb 14, 2008
both were external.the seagte 2 - 3wks. the maxtor is still running

both came with warranties

if u read pc outlets warranty, you will find a cleverly worded disclaimer. . .the manufacturer will repalace the item. . .( and maxtor no dey naija)

as to teomey, sellers of the seagate drive, the story is a little convoluted. when the seagate crashed, i didn't bother going back to them. i guess i had the right initial impression. but a couple of weeks ago, i was buying something else at their shop, and they were like hows your drive. and i said it crashed, and they were like ah ah, you should have brought it back( because they have a warranty on the back of their receipts) so just to see if they weren't full of shit. . .i took it back, and what do you know. . .they are full of shit. . after wasting an hour of my time 'testing' the drive, told me to pay 2500 and pick a new drive. what will i do with another drive, since i've alraedy replaced it? i left them with the drive. i actually inteneded to post it in the referall thread, but never got round to it
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by hayprof(m): 11:53am On Feb 14, 2008
I wanted an External HardDrive too, Recommendations pls, ? wink
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by mmonwuba(m): 3:42pm On Feb 14, 2008
i have never had any bad luck with this thing called hard disk. Go for fairly used, let them format it fully for you there and u are good to go. thats what works for me. Chao!!!
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by mendax: 5:31pm On Feb 14, 2008
@wale
i'm really sorry 2 hear dis. its d reson why i've decided never 2 buy computer parts in naija
dont u know someone abroad?

if u are so desperate u can buy a very cheap one in computer village so u wont have a heart attk when u lose it, then take ur time and order 4 ur taste online. so u hav somethin 2 use in the mean time

gud luck!!
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by Ralvy(m): 9:33pm On Feb 14, 2008
@Hayznet;

I don catch u . .
a whole admin, doing this shocked
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by Kobojunkie: 3:04am On Feb 15, 2008
Buying online does not take that long. If you want to purchase a good Name brand Hard drive I can help you purchase one. I keep trying to tell people not to buy used products and imitations. Why not save up and buy one is one so that when anything happens, chances are you can contact the company and complain or something at least. I am not sure of what kind of hard drive it is but I have had hard drives that have lasted 5 years and more with seriously beating and still lived. You can purchase online and get it in 2 weeks or less.
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by tomX1(m): 5:13pm On Feb 15, 2008
I have 4 HDD (Seagate) all over 3 Years old and none has ever crashed or Malfunctioned in any way. The only HDD crash I've experienced was when I moved the HDD of my former Laptop into an external USB adaptor casing.
Sometimes the crash of the external disk might actualy be due to problems from the external adapters and not from the drive itself. Another common cause of HDD crashes have to do with the fact that peope tend to transfer large files to-and-fro the HDD and never bother to periodicaly defragment the drives or run any disk performance programs on the drives.

For good computer part vendors who will give you good prices and will back up their waranty I'll sugest the following outlets:
(1) Machil Computers - Suit 5a, Spring Bank Plaza, Otigba Street, Ikeja [01-4960981]
(2) Kavex Computers - 9 Otigba Street, off Awolowo Way, Ikeja [ 01-8159795]
(3) Any Gafunk outlet
(4) BenchMark - Somewhere in Anifowoshe Area, Ikeja.
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by damatiti(f): 11:23am On Feb 16, 2008
Any suggestions of reputable sellers in Abuja?
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by hayprof(m): 10:39am On Feb 17, 2008
@ralvy, go away nw. Mama's callin.
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by mmonwuba(m): 12:32pm On Feb 18, 2008
i don talk my own
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by ayobase(m): 3:14pm On Feb 18, 2008
the best thing is
just to order
shipping wouldnt
take the whole week

u purchase what u will
be happy about.

purchasing things at original
price here would be very hurting
when it aint!!!
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by pixiraver(m): 3:24pm On Feb 21, 2008
It is much better u buy a hard disk of 60gb or 8gb why in d world do u need 320gb?u wan house d whole data for d world? Make sure when u buy dey have warranty so if it packs up u can return it
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by haywhy2k1(m): 7:06pm On Feb 22, 2008
Can anyone give me a step by step procedure of how to install a second (new) hard disk in my PC
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by NaijaCandy: 5:17am On Mar 04, 2008
Seagate is good, as is Maxtor.

WD has been good to me as well but I don't think I'd buy another.

If you want a serious HD, get the NetGear RAID NAS. If you do not need anything serious then one of the above will serve you well. They also all come as Externals which I recommend you invest in next time. That way if it crashes you won't lose your data.
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by jemi4u: 2:50pm On Mar 07, 2008
just ask them for the original

you can know the original by the price|
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by Kurbee: 4:25pm On Mar 13, 2008
Always look at reviews on the internet to compare with. My friend was going to buy a 750 GB Freeagent pro, but even though Seagate is a good company their external has terrible reviews! That said I will always recommend internal Seagates. Make sure you buy them new to get the 5 year warranty!
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by Phydas: 10:05pm On Mar 29, 2008
Hi Guys,
well Ihave read the comments here. I would say, buy from me. Buy from my company. IF we give you warranty, we stand by it and we change it you have problem with it. The factories that make products for me accept their products when it doesn't work. All dealers are not cheaters or liars. Buy from me. I am in Abuja , Ikeja computer village as well as Lagos Island. You can check my contact here. Tell me what you need. If I have it I tell you if I dont have it, I help you get it or Itell you I dont have it.
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by erico2k2(m): 1:07pm On Jul 04, 2008
haywhy2k1:

Can anyone give me a step by step procedure of how to install a second (new) hard disk in my PC
you have to format you hard drive, U wil need a few commnds in Dos mode or download a bootable disk from Microsoft website, or beter stil, if you still have abotable PC, just connect it in and make it a slave and then go to the new disk and type Fdisk/s

1 Like

Re: Buying A Hard Disk by ayonline: 1:24pm On Jul 06, 2008
hi tomaX
can i get disk performance programs
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by marrhew: 12:02pm On Feb 26, 2009
one thing you guys should know is that ALL HARD DISKS WILL CRASH. it is not a question of IF but that of WHEN.
that is why there is Data Recovery companies worldwide. most disk crashed are minimal initially but get COMPLEX
as users try all possible means of accessing their crashed disk. if you value your data, pls. send it to a reliable data recovery company. don't allow anybody to use trial and error method on your valuable data. TRIAl and ERROR is good if your data is just music you downloaded or ripped from pirated CDs, but anything valuable must be handled by professionals only.
[color=#000099][/color]
i found out www.nigeriadatarecovery.com (156, awolowo road ikoyi. lagos) you might want to try them.
Re: Buying A Hard Disk by ramonmulti(m): 3:42pm On Feb 26, 2009
As a matter of fact, Hard Disk is something manufactured by humanbeings like everyone in this forum and there's every tendency that it will crash or even get expired, that's a real fact we should understand. Though, there are fakes in the market like in computer village where i stay but that's doesn't mean that all Hard Disks in computer village are fake. There are good ones i bet you, it is my business and i will tell you more better than anyone here.

Then for your information, I am informing you guys to come to me anytime you need any computer stuffs ranging from Desktops and Laptops both new and fairly used and also computer accessories like internal and external Hards Disks all sizes as mentioned being the bone of contention of this topic. Ok

Just check me out at
3b Pepple street computer village ikeja. Opp Zenith bank or call me at 08033924627, Victor is my name. However, i can deliver to office or Home for those within Lagos and Abuja.

Thanks for your patronage.

Victor.

(1) (Reply)

Pls Who Uses Spectranet In Awoyaya\ajah\ibeju Lekki Axis? / Hiren's Boot Cd 9.3 Released! / How To Use Trial Software Forever( Using Run As Date)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.