Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State (11834 Views)

Lucky Igbinedion’s Mansion In Abuja (See The Multi-billion Naira House) / FG Commissions 60 Billion Naira Steel Mill In Ogun State / China To Invest $6b In Ajaokuta Steel Mill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by Gbawe: 5:18pm On Dec 07, 2012
ayodot:

To say its the handy work of the present governor of Ogun state, that the steel mill came in into play, can't be true.
Looking at the time he came into office and the time it will take to build a full functioning steel mill, I'll say it the work of previous administrator.
most of is first year was spent on witchhunting.

Read carefully so that you do not misunderstand others or quote them wrongly. Go back up and see what I responded to and you will note I provided a specific response to a certain general enquiry. Nowhere have I said Amosun brought this steel mill to Ogun :
emiye: Ogun State seems to be attracting heavy investment in the industrial sector in recent times,
Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by PeterKbaba: 5:45pm On Dec 07, 2012
Point of correction, O'dua Investment was established early last year through the ACN governors, who are promoting Unity among South Westerners, using the concept of what Awolowo, inorder to give employment to the yorubas and other ethnic groups of nigeria.
Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by aribisala0(m): 5:48pm On Dec 07, 2012
PeterKbaba: Point of correction, O'dua Investment was established early last year through the ACN governors, who are promoting Unity among South Westerners, using the concept of what Awolowo, inorder to give employment to the yorubas and other ethnic groups of nigeria.

why not be quiet if you don't know

you do not know and even worse think you do. double wahala
Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by Nobody: 5:51pm On Dec 07, 2012
aribisala0:

Please do not speak ignorantly.
A steel mill is NOT in the business of mining .They are quite distinct activities. Where does this notion that ALL natural resources belong to the FG. come from? So your claim the y must have a licence from the FG is ill-informed. Steel companies often BUY iron ore from mining companies
Firstly even oil does NOT belong to the FG it belongs to the federation. The rules that apply to oil and iron ore does NOT apply to ALL natural resources as you claim. Educate your self better e.g Solar energy,dredged sand and quarried rocks bush meat grin to name a few are quite natural resources which no not accrue to the FEDERATION there are many others.
My friend, stop fooling around. You said all natural resources belong to the federation but who is the federation? The federation is the whole of the country as represented by the FG. Just like the minister of petroleum regulates the oil and gas resources in the whole federation, irrespective of where it is found, the minister of mines and steel also regulates the mining activities and steel industries all over the federation.
Also the steel company might decide to have a mining section that will produce the iron ore or partner with mining companies to source for iron ore.
Note that it is deliberate policies of the FG that encourage such industries to flourish. The recent rampant building of local cement factories was not an accident. It was the result of the backward integration policy of the FG in that sector. This is just one example of how FG policies could determine whether a sector will flourish or collapse
Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by aribisala0(m): 5:56pm On Dec 07, 2012
Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by aribisala0(m): 5:58pm On Dec 07, 2012
Sincere 9gerian:
My friend, stop fooling around. You said all natural resources belong to the federation but who is the federation? The federation is the whole of the country as represented by the FG. Just like the minister of petroleum regulates the oil and gas resources in the whole federation, irrespective of where it is found, the minister of mines and steel also regulates the mining activities and steel industries all over the federation.
Also the steel company might decide to have a mining section that will produce the iron ore or partner with mining companies to source for iron ore.
Note that it is deliberate policies of the FG that encourage such industries to flourish. The recent rampant building of local cement factories was not an accident. It was the result of the backward integration policy of the FG in that sector. This is just one example of how FG policies could determine whether a sector will flourish or collapse

Just accept you were wrong and move on.Never the case with Nigerians who would rather die.

Who is the federation you ask The federation is not the FG. I am not my father and he is Not me.So spare us the beer parlour arguments/logic

Your statement was incorrect and I will not engage you in meaningless discussion. Everything I have to say I have said let others read and interpret

By the way I DID NOT say "all natural resources belong to the federation" I said the OPPOSITE actually if you read and comprehended accurately.

You raised a number of constitutional points which are clearly based on assumptions rather than detailed knowledge.

There is no rule which investss ALL natural resources in either the FG or the Federation that is an assumption.

Forests are natural resources are they not? Do they belong to the FG?

this is a steel mill we are talking about here and it has NOTHING to do with mining directly.
this is the downstream sector just like making nails or forks and knives
Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by slimchimex(m): 6:54pm On Dec 07, 2012
south west with their "White Elephant"......mtcheeewww
Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by gen2briz(m): 7:27pm On Dec 07, 2012
slimchimex: south west with their "White Elephant"......mtcheeewww

Oya tell your own people to come out with there own "GREEN ELEPHANT" .....mtcheeewww
Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by Nobody: 7:29pm On Dec 07, 2012
aribisala0:

Just accept you were wrong and move on.Never the case with Nigerians who would rather die.

Who is the federation you ask The federation is not the FG. I am not my father and he is Not me.So spare us the beer parlour arguments/logic

Your statement was incorrect and I will not engage you in meaningless discussion. Everything I have to say I have said let others read and interpret

By the way I DID NOT say "all natural resources belong to the federation" I said the OPPOSITE actually if you read and comprehended accurately.

You raised a number of constitutional points which are clearly based on assumptions rather than detailed knowledge.

There is no rule which investss ALL natural resources in either the FG or the Federation that is an assumption.

Forests are natural resources are they not? Do they belong to the FG?

this is a steel mill we are talking about here and it has NOTHING to do with mining directly.
this is the downstream sector just like making nails or forks and knives
I may not have used the precise term but what I mean is that natural resources such as crude oil, gas, lead, gold,iron ore,etc belong to the federal govt of Nig not Jonathan. I have to make clear in case you'r confusing FG with GEJ. That is why even if crude oil is located in my backyard or on my fathers land, if I exploit it and sell without licence from FG, I will be called a CRUDE OIL THIEF.
Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by geez1: 7:30pm On Dec 07, 2012
Ogun State again?

Not expecting foreign investors to come and build, not planning, not ground breaking, not nearing 80% completion. A commissioned project

Now some people will commit suicide now O!

Ogun o Ni baje

Yorubaland o Ni baje
Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by aribisala0(m): 8:17pm On Dec 07, 2012
Sincere 9gerian:
I may not have used the precise term but what I mean is that natural resources such as crude oil, gas, lead, gold,iron ore,etc belong to the federal govt of Nig not Jonathan. I have to make clear in case you'r confusing FG with GEJ. That is why even if crude oil is located in my backyard or on my fathers land, if I exploit it and sell without licence from FG, I will be called a CRUDE OIL THIEF.

It is important to use terms correctly
especially in a debate otherwise you expect people to read your mind "natural resources such as .......,,,." is just another meaningless expression or one whose meaning is known only to you so you can change it at will.
WE HAVE A CONSTITUTION AND it is quite explicit. On those items that the constitution makes a pronouncement vesting legislative powers exclusively in the FG it does not vest OWNERSHIP in the FG. Let us be clear on that
Those things do NOT belong to the Federal Government.
They belong to the Nation and the THREE tiers of Government have varying shares. Yes the FG may get a larger share now but that is not explicit. In fact the constitution says Derivation should be AT LEAST 13% and does not state a MAXIMUM. Even today the FG gets less than 50% and the states more how can we say it BELONGS to the FG

Leaving that to one side A steel mill and this particular steel mill is not in the business of mining. It is a value addition industry and so all that verbiage about natural or unnatural resources is not really relevant here
Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by Maxymilliano(m): 10:11pm On Dec 07, 2012
There is real problem with the political section of Nairaland where every discussion is turned into a "we against them" kinda argument.
Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by EkoIle1: 2:07am On Dec 08, 2012
geez*:
Ogun State again?

Not expecting foreign investors to come and build, not planning, not ground breaking, not nearing 80% completion. A commissioned project

Now some people will commit suicide now O!

Ogun o Ni baje

Yorubaland o Ni baje

Make den commit suicide if den like. Na only talk den sabi. Some random people show up to talk about hospital and the Yeye people are falling over each other screaming world class all over the place. Imagine the Yeye people collecting allocations and taxes, but refuse to build and.commission projects and these Nl ibo with bleak future no even know say the cruel joke is on them....lmao
Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by geez1: 2:39am On Dec 08, 2012
Eko Ile:

Make den commit suicide if den like. Na only talk den sabi. Some random people show up to talk about hospital and the Yeye people are falling over each other screaming world class all over the place. Imagine the Yeye people collecting allocations and taxes, but refuse to build and.commission projects and these Nl ibo with bleak future no even know say the cruel joke is on them....lmao

In Yorubaland, we don't celebrate plans ... Only achievements!
Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by Bobajo(m): 8:14am On Dec 08, 2012
Thank you.

Absolute sense.

ayodot:

To say its the handy work of the present governor of Ogun state, that the steel mill came in into play, can't be true.
Looking at the time he came into office and the time it will take to build a full functioning steel mill, I'll say it the work of previous administrator.
most of is first year was spent on witchhunting.
Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by aglomar: 8:30am On Dec 08, 2012
I don't know of party affiliations but Ogun is working.
Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by Gbawe: 8:44am On Dec 08, 2012
slimchimex: south west with their "White Elephant"......mtcheeewww

Choi. This is what unadulterated ethnic hatred of others has turned some into. Let go of the senseless hatred and learn to think without first giving in blindly to ethnic jingoism. Forget that this is located in the SW. The concept is way beyond the SW. Neither the SW or Jonathan can take credit for this because the initial plan took root around 2007. This is something everyone still able to identify with Nigeria should be happy about. It should be something every Nigerian and even African should be proud of.

Extremely sad when people like you, rather than do a brief research lasting 2 minutes, prefer to speak in ways that shows you hate others blindly and unreasonably.

‘Largest Steel Mill in Africa Takes off Next Year’

04 Oct 2010

The largest steel mill industry in sub Sahara Africa - Western Metal Product Company Limited, (WEMPCO), would commence operation next year, its Director, Philip Tung, has said.
Tung, who made this disclosure during a facility tour of the firm's sprawling steel complex at Ibafo, Ogun state, also said the company’s tiles project should double to 2.5 million square metres in capacity in two years.

These were the first disclosures on the status of the Ibafo site, which got the nod of the Federal Government three years ago to set up the multi billion naira steel and ceramic producing plants. At full capacity, the plant will generate thousands of jobs and metric tons of steel.

Speaking on the ceramic tiles plant, Tung said the plant has started production and is capable of producing 1.2 million square metres, which represents 45 per cent of total local demand.
“The production will increase to 1.5 million square meters by year end and three million square meters by 2015, which should more than meet local demand of 2.5 million square meters,” he said.
Tung said the mill will depend on imported billets for raw materials until it can work out the transportation of iron ore from Itakpe, Kogi State .

To ensure adequate and uninterrupted power supply for the massive operations of the complex, the company invested heavily to build a 50-megawatt gas power plant sourced from the Nigeria Gas Company.
Tung said that the steel complex, which would be the largest in Africa upon completion, and is motivated by the availability of raw materials in the country in addition to conserve foreign exchange resources.
"We realise that importing these products costs a lot of foreign exchange and we thought that since the raw materials are available locally, producing them locally will help conserve foreign exchange", Tung said.

Besides, he said the huge investment on the complex is a demonstration of the confidence and belief of the Wempco group in Nigeria .

"We have been in Nigeria in the last 40 years with established manufacturing companies producing wide range of building materials and associated products. This is because we believe in Nigeria and we see a lot of potentials in the country and its people.
"We are investing in the project in the lager interest of the economy. We have 100 per cent confidence in the economy, in the people and we believe if people see things the way we do, the better for the nation. Nigeria cannot continue to import products that their raw materials can be sourced locally.

Throwing more light on the project, Group Chairman, Alhaji Tokunbo Alli, said the steel mill should begin operations by the first quarter of next year.

"That is our aim and focus for the flat steel sheet project, which is now integrated into our ceramic tile project on the same site. Some of these raw materials and construction are now sourced and done locally on site.” Alli said.
He disclosed that the company had also commenced moves to reduce the quantity of both hot and cold rolled steel coils being imported into the country by one quarter.
He said the decision by management to cut down on the volume of the cold and hot rolled steel coils was to allay the fears of manufacturers in the sector who felt threatened by the incentive package granted to the company by the Federal Government.
Alli also spoke on the import waiver granted for the three phases of the project. The group, is applying for more incentive package for the project, he said.

"We want to assure the Federal Government, Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) and our protesting manufactures that we are committed to this project and developing the steel industry as we have always done in the past in the sector we have invested in,” he stressed.
Director General of the Manufacturing Association of Nigeria, (MAN) Mr. Jide Mike, who was also present at the tour, said WEMPCO Group has a long standing history in the Nigerian manufacturing sector.
Consequently, he said MAN support the company’s effort to bring investment into Nigeria and job to the people.
Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by Gbawe: 8:53am On Dec 08, 2012
Maxymilliano: There is real problem with the political section of Nairaland where every discussion is turned into a "we against them" kinda argument.

I agree with you on this 100%. Everything on this forum, tediously and always, is "them against us". This is why Nigeria is they way it is to the benefit of our leaders. They loot while we bicker to the extent we can never see eye to eye let alone ever unite to challenge the misrule affecting us all.
Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by aribisala0(m): 9:45am On Dec 08, 2012
Can we stop this "Yoruba" foolishness please.
Yoruba land is just as backward developmentally as much of Nigeria and this mill will not change anything.We need to look around the world and see what is REALLY happening
Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by geez1: 9:46am On Dec 08, 2012
Dear Freeglobe,

Cc: afam4eva, One_Naira, PROUDLY IGBO, BiafraMailingList

For every plan in the SE, two projects are commissioned in the SW.

Regards
Geez

1 Like

Re: Multi-billion Naira Steel Mill Opened At Magboro, Ogun State by Maxymilliano(m): 10:10am On Dec 08, 2012
Gbawe:

I agree with you on this 100%. Everything on this forum, tediously and always, is "them against us". This is why Nigeria is they way it is to the benefit of our leaders. They loot while we bicker to the extent we can never see eye to eye let alone ever unite to challenge the misrule affecting us all.

I quite agree with you bro, such needless politicizing of every topic of discussion on this forum is taking the shine off what should ordinarily be a fruitful and enlightened engagements.

Objectivity will always be the first casualty in such unnecessary bickering and sometimes leaving the readers less intelligent.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Strike Was Suspended Not Called Off – PENGASSAN President / Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman / Jimi Agbaje Responsible For PDP’s Defeat In Lagos –Shelle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.