Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,813 members, 7,817,357 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman (11834 Views)

A Credible Northerner, Not Osinbajo Should Succeed Buhari In 2019 / Why Osinbajo Should Not Sign 2017 Budget – Falana / Dollar Fall: Yemi Osinbajo Should Teach Buhari His Magic - Sen Ben Murray-bruce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by Firefire(m): 6:03am On May 17, 2016
Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - NHRC

A former Chairman of the National Human Rights Commission, Prof. Chidi Odinkalu, says President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo have not done well by not declaring their assets publicly.

Odinkalu spoke in an interview with Channels Television on Sunday night.

He said both leaders should fulfill their campaign promise to declare their assets, adding that transparency was a requisite to fighting corruption effectively.

The human rights activist, however, said the President had demonstrated the courage and will to stop corruption in public office.

Odinkalu said Nigerians were not interested in perfection but that a process of change was set in motion which could then be monitored for further progress in the country.

He said, “I have to say I disagree and continue to disagree with the way in which their asset declarations were managed.

“I don’t think they have kept faith with their campaign promise to publish their assets and I do think that it is necessary in order to fight corruption effectively.

“The President is an individual and he is not going to fight corruption by himself. My view has always been that the most a President could do is to provide leadership.”

Odinkalu said a comment credited to British Prime Minister, David Cameron, that Nigeria is a fantastically corrupt country, was a call to action.

He, however, said Cameron’s comment demonstrated “colonial arrogance.”

He said, “The important thing is (that) we focus on rebuilding our country into something we all can be proud of and a country that works for its citizens and does not excuse the misbehaviour of people because we think those are big people.

“The problem we have with corruption in Nigeria is actually impunity. It’s about institutions and the application of rules to people. That’s where we fail because Nigeria is a very stratified and very hierarchical society.”

http://www.punchng.com/buhari-osinbajo-declare-assets-publicly-odinkalu/

Buhary must hear this...

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by DonMaxxy(m): 6:10am On May 17, 2016
It is long overdue. We are no longer interested in their assets. Let them just fix this counrty and her economy to enable us acquire our own assets...

What will you reap from hypocrites declaring their assets?

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by fiizznation: 6:11am On May 17, 2016
And how many times are they going to do that? When they first came into power, people were screaming that they should declare their assets, they did that. And now you people are saying they should declare it "publicly". So what's then the essence of declaring their assets in the first place? Is not like they don't have any work to do in asorock aside from declaring their assets.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by tempest01(m): 6:13am On May 17, 2016
fiizznation:
And how many times are they going to do that?

What is their net worth?

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by Firefire(m): 6:14am On May 17, 2016
fiizznation:
And how many times are they going to do that?

Please share the evidence(s) or links to their publicly declared assets.

Thank you in advance.

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by DropShot: 6:15am On May 17, 2016
This is where I hate our media houses. Are we saying not a single one of them can conduct a successful investigative/undercover operation to reveal what was submitted for verification to CCB.

Only Sahara Reporters are trying when it comes to investigative journalism but they also have disappointed on this one.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by Firefire(m): 6:16am On May 17, 2016
If Buhary cannot keep to his campaign promise of publicly declaring his assets and that of his wives... then I reserve my comments about his fight against corruption.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by Firefire(m): 6:20am On May 17, 2016
DropShot:
This is where I hate our media houses. Are we saying not a single one of them can conduct a successful investigative/undercover operation to reveal what was submitted to

What was submitted was never made public and to get the details it takes a long legal process. There is even a disparicty with what Buhary declared publicly during his campaign and the 'Flash' declaration from Garba Shehu.

Why can't Buhary do like Late Musa Yar'adua whose assets declaration and that of his entire family are still available in the cyberspace for scrutiny and verifications ?

Buhary should be honorable enough to publicly declare his assets and that of this entire family who are above 18 years of age.

Please compare the below with the bogus statement from Garba Shehu...

Buhary we need your assets to be declared publicly.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by fiizznation: 6:22am On May 17, 2016

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by DropShot: 6:22am On May 17, 2016
Firefire:
If Buhary cannot keep to his campaign promise of publicly declaring his assets and that of his wives... then I reserve my comments about his fight against corruption.
Buhari has declared his assets as he wishes to.

If you're not satisfied, you have options:
1. Invoke FOI law to get it. Or

2. Sponsor detectives to do an undercover operation to unravel it.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by DropShot: 6:30am On May 17, 2016
Firefire:

What was submitted was never made public and to get the details it takes a long legal process. There is even a disparicty with what Buhary declared publicly during his campaign and the 'Flash' declaration from Garba Shehu.

Why can't Buhary do like Late Musa Yar'adua whose assets declaration and that of his entire family are still available in the cyberspace for scrutiny and verifications ?

Buhary should be honorable enough to publicly declare his assets and that of this entire family who are above 18 years of age.

Please compare the below with the bogus statement from Garba Shehu...

Don't be a lazy punk!

He has declared and anyone who isn't satisfied can do either of my suggestions.

After all, the Ineffectual Buffoon didn't even give a damn.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by fiizznation: 6:32am On May 17, 2016
Firefire:

What is it that you don't understand by the word "publicly"? Didn't you hear when buhari said he has only three houses, one in Kaduna, another one in daura and then a plot of land in port Harcourt? What about his 150 cows he told you people he had? So what kind of publicly declared assets do you guys want? Or I get it, you want him to visit every Nigerian family and tell them what he is worth/worth not? You guys are very comedic

5 Likes

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by cornoil(m): 6:35am On May 17, 2016
Sahara investigate only people that are Anti-Tinubu, Anti-APC, Anti-Buhari. They dare not investigate Amaechi or Aregbesola and Co. Sahara Reporters are one sided investigative media reporters.
DropShot:
This is where I hate our media houses. Are we saying not a single one of them can conduct a successful investigative/undercover operation to reveal what was submitted for verification to CCB.

Only Sahara Reporters are trying when it comes to investigative journalism but they also have disappointed on this one.

18 Likes

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by Firefire(m): 6:37am On May 17, 2016
fiizznation:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/09/breaking-buhari-osinbajo-declare-assets/

https://www.naij.com/449916-buhari-and-osinbajo-keep-promise-declare-assets.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34150508

http://www.tvcnews.tv/?q=article/
nigerias-president-buhari-vice-declare-assets

http://saharareporters.com/2015/09/03/buhari-osinbajo-finally-declare-assets

http://thenationonlineng.net/buharis-modest-assets-shocking/

There is a clear disparity with Buhary statement during his campaign.

A simple question sir, what is the net worth of your president ?

And what is stopping him from instructing CCB to make public his assets declaration forms ?

If you need a sample of good public assets declaration, Buharu should take a clue from Late Musa Yar'Adua

https://www.nairaland.com/62853/yaradua-declares-assets

https://www.proshareng.com/news/General/Yar%E2%80%99-Adua-makes-public-his-assets-declaration/2554

And then there is the question of why Buhari lied in 2014 about being a pauper, and suddenly in 2015, barely a year later, he is such a rich man. Punch disclosed that Buhari had written in his Facebook page (thank God for the internet) as follows:

“I have at least one million naira in my bank, having paid N5.5m to pick my form from my party.

“I have around 150 (head of) cattle because I am never comfortable without cows.

“I have a house each in Kaduna, Kano, and Daura, which I borrowed money to build.

“I never had a foreign account since I finished my courses in the USA, India and the UK.

“I never owned any property outside Nigeria. Never!”

http://africansuntimes.com/2015/09/yaradua-vs-buhari-assets-declaration-buhari-lied-in-2014-about-his-assets/

15 Likes

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by omowolewa: 6:38am On May 17, 2016
Freedom of Information Right will work here.
Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by dunkem21(m): 6:38am On May 17, 2016
fiizznation:
What is it that you don't understand by the word "publicly"? Didn't you hear when buhari said he has only three houses, one in Kaduna, another one in daura and then a plot of land in port Harcourt? What about his 150 cows he told you people he had? So what kind of publicly declared assets do you guys want? Or I get it, you want him to visit every Nigerian family and tell them what he is worth/worth not? You guys are very comedic

Chai .. See human reasoning ..

No need arguing with a zombie undecided

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by omenka(m): 6:40am On May 17, 2016
How does the opinion of Odinkalu who once worked for the NHRC become a statement from NHRC??

This is one thing that disgusts me about PDP supporters- they tell such barefaced lies just for the hell of it.

What Odinkalu has said is a good thing and I believe pro-Buhari posters like myself would wanna support such an action, but the op didn't have to lie the statement came from National Human Rights Commission when it is coming from a private citizen like himself- it is totally unnecessary.

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by Firefire(m): 6:41am On May 17, 2016
dunkem21:

Chai .. See human reasoning ..

No need arguing with a zombie undecided

smiley smiley

Defenders of the indefensible.

12 Likes

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by anwe: 6:43am On May 17, 2016
If a leader promised one thing and do another, what type of leader is he ?
Promises are to be kept. This alone is enough to remove him from office.
Another being that only Angels will serve in his cabinet, what is Ameachi still doing in the cabinet after indictment by Rivers state govt. white or black paper

12 Likes

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by DropShot: 6:43am On May 17, 2016
cornoil:
Sahara investigate only people that are Anti-Tinubu, Anti-APC, Anti-Buhari. They dare not investigate Amaechi or Aregbesola and Co. Sahara Reporters are one sided investigative media reporters.
And why can't anti-APC and anti-Buhari news outlets investigate Buhari and Osinbajo? At least that way, everybody gets their yansh exposed.
Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by omenka(m): 6:44am On May 17, 2016
fiizznation:
And how many times are they going to do that? When they first came into power, people were screaming that they should declare their assets, they did that. And now you people are saying they should declare it "publicly". So what's then the essence of declaring their assets in the first place? Is not like they don't have any work to do in asorock aside from declaring their assets.
My problem isn't even that but the lie the op is telling the public. How does Odinkalu saying something amount to NHRC saying the same?? Very disgusting.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by dunkem21(m): 6:45am On May 17, 2016
Firefire:

smiley smiley

Defenders of the indefensible.

Its a pity that people cannot reason again ..

Very soon, dem go call Chidi .. IPOD

8 Likes

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by Firefire(m): 6:46am On May 17, 2016
DropShot:

And why can't anti-APC and anti-Buhari news outlets investigate Buhari and Osinbajo? At least that way, everybody gets their yansh exposed.

Bros, why should they expect any investigation before they fulfill their campaign promise? Are we no longer in CHANGE, where we change from the old ways and do things in new and dynamic perspective for the greatness on Nigeria.

Buhary, please obey the voice of reason and submit your verified CCB asset forms to the public domain.

Thank you.

8 Likes

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by Firefire(m): 6:48am On May 17, 2016
That human-being shouting 'disgusting', I beg carry your disgusted face comot for here. cheesy

Buhary & Osinbajo we are waiting to read your full assets declaration forms showing your Net worth.

Thank you.

16 Likes

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by Firefire(m): 6:50am On May 17, 2016
dunkem21:

Its a pity that people cannot reason again ..

Very soon, dem go call Chidi .. IPOD

You dey mind d yeye fifu, anyone who does not support their coven agenda is labeled 'ipod yooth'

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by Firefire(m): 6:54am On May 17, 2016
Lalasticlala, we need to know the net worth of Mr. Mohamodu Buhary.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by DropShot: 6:55am On May 17, 2016
Firefire:

Bros, why should they expect any investigation before they fulfill their campaign promise? Are we no longer in CHANGE, where we change from the old ways and do things in new and dynamic perspective for the greatness on Nigeria.

Buhary, please obey the voice of reason and submit your verified CCB asset forms to the public domain.

Thank you.
It's Buhari. So, stop fooling yourself around here.

P
Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by fiizznation: 6:56am On May 17, 2016
Firefire:

There is a clear disparity with Buhary statement during his campaign.

A simple question sir, what is the net worth of your president ?

And what is stopping him from instructing CCB to make public his assets declaration forms ?

If you need a sample of good public assets declaration, Buharu should take a clue from Late Musa Yar'Adua

https://www.nairaland.com/62853/yaradua-declares-assets

https://www.proshareng.com/news/General/Yar%E2%80%99-Adua-makes-public-his-assets-declaration/2554

And then there is the question of why Buhari lied in 2014 about being a pauper, and suddenly in 2015, barely a year later, he is such a rich man. Punch disclosed that Buhari had written in his Facebook page (thank God for the internet) as follows:

“I have at least one million naira in my bank, having paid N5.5m to pick my form from my party.

“I have around 150 (head of) cattle because I am never comfortable without cows.

“I have a house each in Kaduna, Kano, and Daura, which I borrowed money to build.

“I never had a foreign account since I finished my courses in the USA, India and the UK.

“I never owned any property outside Nigeria. Never!”

http://africansuntimes.com/2015/09/yaradua-vs-buhari-assets-declaration-buhari-lied-in-2014-about-his-assets/
And when did buhari ever promised anybody that he will disclose his net worth? Can you provide a link to that? Besides how can he{buhari} know his net worth as a seating President? Can you mention just one seating President in the world that has ever disclosed his net worth while he was still on seat? Or can you honestly tell me the net worth of late President yar'adua.

He said he will declare his assets which he did publicly and everybody heard him. So what are you saying again?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by freeze001(f): 6:56am On May 17, 2016
The only thing that qualifies as public declaration of assets is the publication of assets declaration forms as signed by the declarant and verified by the CCB. Any other thing like that half-assed speech by Shehu Garba is only meant to create plausible deniability for Buhari in the event that there is more found to be belonging to him than supposedly declared.

Now the regular supporters are saying buhari has declared but when new developments are brought to limelight exposing their tin god as criminally fraudulent, they will say he never declared it himself neither did he publish any document signed by him regarding his assets.

I will not be surprised if tomorrow I hear Odinkalu has been summoned by EFCC for questioning on some trumped up charges just to dent his image and credibility as well as punish him for daring to question the actions of the 'Lord of the Manor'!

17 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by fiizznation: 7:06am On May 17, 2016
Sir firefire, seriously I even had a laugh when you said buhari lied about his assets declaration in 2014 which didn't correspond with his 2015 assets declaration. Now a good economics will just laugh at you my brother
Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by Firefire(m): 7:07am On May 17, 2016
freeze001:
The only thing that qualifies as public declaration of assets is the publication of assets declaration forms as signed by the declarant and verified by the CCB. Any other thing like that half-assed speech by Shehu Garba is only meant to create plausible deniability for Buhari in the event that there is more found to be belonging to him than supposedly declared.

Now the regular supporters are saying buhari has declared but when new developments are brought to limelight exposing their tin god as criminally fraudulent, they will say he never declared it himself neither did he pubkish any document signed by him regarding his assets.

Superb!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Osinbajo Should Declare Their Assets Publicly - Ex-NHRC Chairman by freeze001(f): 7:07am On May 17, 2016
fiizznation:
And when did buhari ever promised anybody that he will disclose his net worth? Can you provide a link to that? Besides how can he{buhari} know his net worth as a seating President? Can you mention just one seating President in the worth that has ever disclosed his net worth while he was still on seat? Or can you honestly tell me the net worth of late President yar'adua.

He said he will declare his assets which he did publicly and everybody heard him. So what are you saying again?

I remember very well that when he just entered office as President people demanded for the public declaration of his assets and that of the Vice president as promised during the election campaigns. The response from all supporters were that they had made their declaration to the CCB and so there must be time given for verification.

What was the aim of the verification requirement? Is it not obvious to you that the content of the asset declaration forms as verified by the CCB ought to be made public? In ur honest opinion devoid of bias and political affiliation, does that statement by Garba Shehu qualify as full disclosure of assets of the President? Remember the requirement is for the declaration of the assets of the public holder and those of family members above 18. Are any of those details in the public domain? What about the Vice President? Even if no member of his family owns any asset, where is the declaration to that effect?

What is public declaration of assets other than publication of the assets form sworn under oath or a full disclosure by the President himself? How can Shehu say d President owns land somewhere in Portharcourt but doesn't know the location? Would you really accept that?

11 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

'‘You Rigged Elections For Yourself And Not For Us'’ PDP Tells , Ibrahim Mantu / Jimi Agbaje Responsible For PDP’s Defeat In Lagos –Shelle / Western Region Ministerial List In 60s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.