Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,837 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC (5230 Views)

Results From The FCT Area Council Election (Yet To Be Confirmed By INEC) / How Oritsejafor Deceived Jonathan – Okotie; He Wants To Be Popular – CAN / Chris Okotie's Message For Jonathan & Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by BeraBera(f): 5:02pm On Dec 07, 2012
The purported deregistration of our party, FRESH (Fresh Democratic Party) as announced by Independent National Electoral Commission on Thursday, December 6, 2012 came to us as a rude shock, even though the commission only made good its long standing threat to embark on this undemocratic action against all rationale thinking and public opinion.

It is also an affront on the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the decision of the Court of Appeal on the vexed issue.

We condemn and reject this unilateral and anti-democratic action which is designed to further shut out the opposition from the democratic space; and we would seek legal redress for this injustice in the court of law. It is obvious that the ruling party, the PDP is afraid of the growing stature and acceptability of our party and therefore uses this arm twisting tactic to remove our party from the list.

It is unheard of that a ruling party will unilaterally decide that the size, spread and strength of opposition parties should be the basis of their existence, when the constitution provides for freedom of association of groups or persons of diverse creed or political persuasions and philosophies.
You will recall that the Court of Appeal, Abuja Division in an appeal filed by Peoples Redemption Party and others on the issue of registration stated succinctly and unambiguously that INEC had no power to refuse to register a party that has fulfilled the required constitutional provision; and by extension no power whatsoever to de-register a party that has fulfilled all constitutional stipulations.

At no time in our political history did those criteria formed the basis of party existence. It is, therefore, without precedent and should not stand.

The PDP cannot adjudicate in a matter in which it has a clear, vested interest. It cannot determine by force of its present numerical strength in the federal legislature to decide which parties it approves to be its opponent in electoral contests. To allow this unlawful deregistration to stand in this era of deregulation is to condone a perpetration of injustice by the ruling party against the opposition. It would amount to a tyranny of the majority.

It is widely acknowledged that the PDP’s majority was secured through a combination of scientific rigging and other fraudulent devices as the upturning of some of its ‘electoral victories’ at governorship levels have shown.

Moreover, INEC erred by refusing to base its decision on the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria relying solely on the Electoral Act 2010, which runs foul and is inconsistent with the Constitution.

Every party is evolving. The young shall grow, as they say. A small party can grow into a big party over time. A regional party can, through mergers for instance, grow into a big national party. We have seen that happen everywhere including here in our beloved country. Our nascent democracy is only 13years old and the PDP is already writing off smaller opposition parties, which it obviously perceives as threats to its hegemony because of the strong personalities behind these parties.

The most the government could have done is to discontinue the funding of parties it deems ‘’weak’’ and see if they’d die a natural death. This option is open to INEC but it chooses to play the tune discharged by its piper- PDP. It should be noted that some of the parties, have a subsisting suit in court that challenges INEC’s decision on party deregistration , yet without regard for the rule of law, the commission went ahead to effect this illegality.

While pursuing the option of seeking justice, we urge our teeming supporters to remain calm. What we stand for is at the heart of the Nigerian project and it cannot be legislated out of existence.

Signed
Ladi Ayodeji
Director, Media and Publicity
FRESH

http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/12/07/press-release-chris-okoties-fresh-rejects-purported-deregistration/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=press-release-chris-okoties-fresh-rejects-purported-deregistration
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by lekzy007(m): 6:40pm On Dec 07, 2012
ok,noted...
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by RichDad1(m): 7:16pm On Dec 07, 2012
Live and let's live. Simple
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by MajeOfficial: 7:27pm On Dec 07, 2012
A lot of these parties are really businesses. They run elections just to build up donor and supporter money even though they know they will lose. After the money is built up they happily lose and enjoy the profits.

1 Like

Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by Afam4eva(m): 7:29pm On Dec 07, 2012
What are they rejecting? What seat do they currently occupy as a party? The constitution says that INEC should de-register parties that are wasting their time.
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by AtheistD(m): 10:06pm On Dec 07, 2012
Isnt Chris Okotie a pastor?
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by dafman10(m): 10:48pm On Dec 07, 2012
It is obvious that the ruling party, the PDP is afraid of the growing stature and acceptability of our party and therefore uses this arm twisting tactic to remove our party from the list.

Hahahahahahahaha na wia dis party dey grow in stature? Na inside Church? Electoral business guys. Thieves!

2 Likes

Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by mrman2(m): 11:55pm On Dec 07, 2012
Why won't they reject na? INEC don spoil market for them na.
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by drnoel: 11:57pm On Dec 07, 2012
Rubbish
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by Nobody: 11:59pm On Dec 07, 2012
Is that legal? Or is PDP just trying to give people less options?

1 Like

Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by bestower: 12:04am On Dec 08, 2012
Politics of deceit,and church business.
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by naptu2: 12:36am On Dec 08, 2012
afam4eva: What are they rejecting? What seat do they currently occupy as a party? The constitution says that INEC should de-register parties that are wasting their time.

@ bolded: what section?
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by naptu2: 12:41am On Dec 08, 2012
I don't believe that political parties should be de-registered. De-registering them deprives the members of a voice and restricts their rights to freedom of association (how I wish Gani was alive. He fought INEC on the issue of stringent conditionalities for registration of political parties and won).

What INEC can do is to stop giving public funds to parties that do not win elections (eg local government, national assembly elections, etc).

3 Likes

Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by senoscar: 12:46am On Dec 08, 2012
I think okotie should concentrate on his ministry now. This a sign that he is not the messiah we are waiting for.

1 Like

Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by Umunede(m): 1:03am On Dec 08, 2012
Na all dis big big grama and long essay make people no vote chris okotie. Him don come again
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by excondido(m): 1:17am On Dec 08, 2012
by fire, by thunder.....re-register FRESH PARTY with imediate alacrity.

1 Like

Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by free2ryhme: 2:14am On Dec 08, 2012
*******yawning***********
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by begwong: 2:39am On Dec 08, 2012
dat party has no structure anywhere apart from lagos(his church).
okotie also never campaigns outside lagos
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by cr8v(f): 3:23am On Dec 08, 2012
sen. oscar:
I think okotie should concentrate on his ministry now. This a sign that he is not the messiah we are waiting for.

Challenges is not a sign of divine opposition, in fact sometimes its a clear sign you are making progress. Without friction wheels would cover no distance; its in trying to overcome the opposition that wheels make movement. So instead of him to retire, let him refire especially if he is very sure God told him. Who knows an unanticipated revolution may just take place and change the formula to electoral victory.
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by Oluwateledemi: 4:01am On Dec 08, 2012

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Do you wish to Livebetalife?

Tired of relying on Your Parent / Friends?

Then join
[liveBETAlife on facebook] now
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by greatgod2012(f): 4:40am On Dec 08, 2012
I trust d man........he no go agree

when i saw and read about d news yesterday, i told d pple around me that if everybody fold their arms and accept their fate that i trust Okotie, he would fight it to d end......... Thank God, i'm not dissapointed by him.
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by vandarsar(m): 5:31am On Dec 08, 2012
Easy for you guys to say stuffs against okotie but when facts are being raised against oyedepo and adeboye you would be defending them as if they were Jesus and God respectively! Is it bad that a pastor is tying to run for an office? At least he's not pretending.

1 Like

Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by folahann(m): 6:04am On Dec 08, 2012
Come to think of it, reducing the numbers of opposition parties even makes opposing stronger.
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by Dosoq(f): 6:05am On Dec 08, 2012
he's 1 of d 'shames' in christiandom,i gues he's got notin gud 2 do wit his moni despite d needy in his church.........hmm
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by tpapi: 6:15am On Dec 08, 2012
Bros go n get married n raise ur own family,u can NEVER NEVER rule dis kontri
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by VEE2010(m): 6:31am On Dec 08, 2012
I wonder why most Nigerians are fun of playing undue overlapping role when it is not necessary. Must you diversify the "Church Business"? I used to believed that, Pastors utterances/actions are basically rooted on what they see clearly via divine direction(Holy spirit) but unfortunately reverse is the case in what we're seeing today. I remember the interview granted by Fresh presidential candidate few days before the general election and I quote him;"by this time next week, PDP will go into oblivion when the will of God will prevail as I will be declared the winner of this election come April 14" was this just a common bragging likely to be attributed to a typical worldly individual? I think there is a serious problem in the Church of today. Politics is good but, business in politics is the only evil covering the beauty. Let's play politics of service rather than seeing politics as an avenue of self enrichment/business opportunity. Kudos to INEC for this unfold action.
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by ROCKJ1(m): 6:40am On Dec 08, 2012
The fewer the political parties, the stronger the opposition. Imagine if all the other parties came together as one.they will comfortably beat Pdp. How many parties does America have (only 2) obasanjo allowed the addition of all these parties to weaken the opposition.... And it worked.
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by takedat(m): 6:41am On Dec 08, 2012
Seeking redress in court is one of the beauties of democracy. I am convinced that INEC has no powers to de register a political party. The constitution supersedes an act, if INEC feels the need to de register any political party it should seek an amendment to the existing laws.
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by Noblechyk: 7:01am On Dec 08, 2012
Aa Nri1: Is that legal? Or is PDP just trying to give people less options?
having 2 many opposition parties would b in pdp's advantage as it 'll split votes into fragments
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by naptu2: 7:18am On Dec 08, 2012
ROCK-J:
The fewer the political parties, the stronger the opposition. Imagine if all the other parties came together as one.they will comfortably beat Pdp. How many parties does America have (only 2) obasanjo allowed the addition of all these parties to weaken the opposition.... And it worked.

The US has more than two political parties.
Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by omarky(m): 7:42am On Dec 08, 2012
This Fresh party are crazy o. This self aclaimed man of God should use his money on the needies rather than ventures into what I perceive as rubbish

1 Like

Re: Chris Okotie’s Party Rejects De-registration By INEC by MajeOfficial: 7:42am On Dec 08, 2012
a pastor with a political party? Nigeria needs help

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

"8 Real Reasons Why 2015 Election Was Postponed" - Political Strategist / Ondo Polls: Tribunal Fixes Judgment For April 23 / The Attacks On Reno Proves The Nature Of Most Igbos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.